Is this a good bass response? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Is this a good bass response?

I see a lot of folks posting these awesome looking, flat curves going well below 20hz and just wondered how I was doing. I have two Rythmik FV25HP's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub No Fliter.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2749340  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Not bad at all to my untrained eye.
You may get more knowledgeable opinions, and certainly more views if you ask in the subwoofer forum, which is way more active than this one.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...s-transducers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
I see a lot of folks posting these awesome looking, flat curves going well below 20hz and just wondered how I was doing. I have two Rythmik FV25HP's.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi,

Looks fine, a lot of graphs are using smoothing which hides quite a bit. So for bass response graphs its common to use zero smoothing to see each little problem.

You really only have one issue, and it's that 22hz null that is pretty obvious. The rest are modes and are fine and can be EQ'd to be flat. Nulls cannot be fixed with EQ or anything. That's dependent on placement in room relative to listening position(s). Since you have TWO subs running, the goal is to move them until that null goes away. You should be able to move the subs around a little and watch that null move. As long as one sub is covering up the null from another sub, the perceived response will be flat at the listening position. So move your subs a little and re-measure until that null is gone.

Very best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post
Hi,

Looks fine, a lot of graphs are using smoothing which hides quite a bit. So for bass response graphs its common to use zero smoothing to see each little problem.

You really only have one issue, and it's that 22hz null that is pretty obvious. The rest are modes and are fine and can be EQ'd to be flat. Nulls cannot be fixed with EQ or anything. That's dependent on placement in room relative to listening position(s). Since you have TWO subs running, the goal is to move them until that null goes away. You should be able to move the subs around a little and watch that null move. As long as one sub is covering up the null from another sub, the perceived response will be flat at the listening position. So move your subs a little and re-measure until that null is gone.

Very best,
There aren't any nulls in that graph!

See my graphs for what a null looks like (first graph green line has a null at 50Hz), and all 4 subs have a null around 115Hz. Post EQ graph shows what can and cannot be fixed with EQ alone. These aren't smoothed at all either. The only thing I did wrong was label the initial graph after working 14hrs, then re-arranging the room, and doing sweeps when I was tired and couldn't tell colors apart anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 ind and sum.png
Views:	52
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	2749608   Click image for larger version

Name:	post EQ.png
Views:	45
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2749610  

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.

Espon 5050UB, 120" screen, AppleTV4k, Harmony Elite, Sony UBP-X700, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, Outlaw 7000x, MiniDSP 2x4HD, 2x HSU TN1220HO subs, 2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs, Defintive Technology speakers: CLR2002 x3 for FR, C, FL; BP2x SR & SL; BP1.2x SBL & SBR; ProMonitor 800 x4 height speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page