Dolby 7.1 to Dolby Atmos "7.1" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 06-28-2020, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Dolby 7.1 to Dolby Atmos "7.1"

So I've searched and searched and can't find a definitive answer to this question.

My setup:

New Denon AVR-S750H
Now: Conventional 7.1.1 Speaker Setup as shown on page 40 in manual.

Would like to go to Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 Speaker setup.

It's not specifically shown in the manual what I want to do.

Atmos Setup (5.1 with Atmos Speakers) shown on page 45.

This setup appears to show what looks like "add-on" Atmos speakers on top of the Surround Speakers placed in same plane with the viewer.

So It looks like I would have two choices.

Replace the SR-SL speakers with Atmos speakers and leave SBR-SBL in place. But swap connections so SBR-SBL connected to SR-SL and connect Atmos to SDR-SDL and configure receiver for that mode on page 45.

OR

Replace SBR-SBL with Atmos speakers and configure receiver for that mode on page 45.

What are the drawbacks/disadvantages/advantages to this?

Must you have the SR/SL and SDR/SDL on the same "plane"?

It looks like no matter what I do, if I go to Atmos, the REAR height Surround speakers are useless?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon7.1Setup.png
Views:	63
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2750242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon7.1AtmosSetup.png
Views:	61
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	2750244  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-28-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

And I just bought these so where should I put them?

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speaker, 200W Peak Power, Pair

Thanks.
post #3 of 39 Old 06-28-2020, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Your AVR has 7 amps and 7 channels of processing. This means you can run a 7.1 setup like you are now or a 5.1.2 setup with 2 height speakers for Atmos. You will have to choose between the height speakers or the rear surround speakers because a 7.1.2 setup with both would require 9 amps and 9 channels of processing.

With those speakers you purchased you have the choice of using them as Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers or has height speakers. You should follow the setup suggestions from your AVRs connection instructions. The prevailing wisdom on AVS is that for height channels you are better off mounting the physical speakers in a height position rather than relying on them to reflect off the ceiling in a DAES configuration. With only 2 Height speakers for Atmos I would suggest mounting them in a Top Middle configuration. This would be on your ceiling about a foot in front of your main listening position with the tweeters aimed at your ears. If you cannot mount them on your ceiling you would need to mount them in a way that provides the best reflected sound off the ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eawmhr11 and CalJake like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 06-28-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Your AVR has 7 amps and 7 channels of processing. This means you can run a 7.1 setup like you are now or a 5.1.2 setup with 2 height speakers for Atmos. You will have to choose between the height speakers or the rear surround speakers because a 7.1.2 setup with both would require 9 amps and 9 channels of processing.

With those speakers you purchased you have the choice of using them as Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers or has height speakers. You should follow the setup suggestions from your AVRs connection instructions. The prevailing wisdom on AVS is that for height channels you are better off mounting the physical speakers in a height position rather than relying on them to reflect off the ceiling in a DAES configuration. With only 2 Height speakers for Atmos I would suggest mounting them in a Top Middle configuration. This would be on your ceiling about a foot in front of your main listening position with the tweeters aimed at your ears. If you cannot mount them on your ceiling you would need to mount them in a way that provides the best reflected sound off the ceiling.

So you are suggesting replacing the Surround speakers in the middle with the Atmos speakers and leaving the rear surround speakers in place?
post #5 of 39 Old 06-28-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremist59 View Post
So you are suggesting replacing the Surround speakers in the middle with the Atmos speakers and leaving the rear surround speakers in place?

No. You would replace your Surround Back speakers with Top Middle speakers. Follow the instructions on page 43 of your manual. http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS750H/NA...750H_NA_EN.pdf

post #6 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No. You would replace your Surround Back speakers with Top Middle speakers. Follow the instructions on page 43 of your manual. http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS750H/NA...750H_NA_EN.pdf

Okay, to be clear, I can't put any speakers in the ceiling. So is the best option to replace the SBR/SBL with the Atmos Speakers in this situation, or replace the SR/SL speakers?

See pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Speaker_Placement.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2750620  
post #7 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Okay, to be clear, I can't put any speakers in the ceiling. So is the best option to replace the SBR/SBL with the Atmos Speakers in this situation, or replace the SR/SL speakers?

See pic.
Ceiling bounce speakers will not work with a vaulted/angled ceiling, so you will have to place them as heights.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #8 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

See pic.

Your surround speakers are currently mounted too high for Dolby Atmos. For Atmos to provide the immersive bubble of sound we are going for you need to create separation between the base layer (5.1) and the height layer (x.x.2) speakers. Your L, C, R, SL and SR speakers should be at ear height and your Atmos speakers should be above you. As mentioned earlier, your AVR will drop support for SBL and SBR speakers when running Atmos as it only has amps and processing for 7 channels. Since you cannot mount speakers on the ceiling and as @pappaduke mentioned the DAES speakers will not work with vaulted ceilings your best bet would be to place them high on the wall where the ceiling meets the wall aimed at the main listening position. Considering where your surrounds are currently mounted you can keep them in their current spot and move your SBL and SBR speakers to ear level under them. You can return those Klipsch as you won’t need them in this configuration. Here is an example from the SVS Prime Elevation (a similar speaker to your Klipsch) placement guideline:

Notice the separation between the base layer speakers and the height speakers. This is key for a convincing bubble of sound above you.

pappaduke and eawmhr11 like this.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
You could possibly mount Atmos speakers in that setup by either running wire up to an articulated mount similar to your SL/SR attached to the ceiling aiming the speakers properly, or dropping a pendant speaker from the top.
White wires and white speakers (or painted) like the Polk OWM3/OWM5 may help with aesthetics.
Some outdoor speakers even come with a mounting bracket or mount built-in allowing for aiming.

Quote:
See pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewAtmosPlacement.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2750662  
post #10 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Your surround speakers are currently mounted too high for Dolby Atmos. For Atmos to provide the immersive bubble of sound we are going for you need to create separation between the base layer (5.1) and the height layer (x.x.2) speakers. Your L, C, R, SL and SR speakers should be at ear height and your Atmos speakers should be above you. As mentioned earlier, your AVR will drop support for SBL and SBR speakers when running Atmos as it only has amps and processing for 7 channels. Since you cannot mount speakers on the ceiling and as @pappaduke mentioned the DAES speakers will not work with vaulted ceilings your best bet would be to place them high on the wall where the ceiling meets the wall aimed at the main listening position. Considering where your surrounds are currently mounted you can keep them in their current spot and move your SBL and SBR speakers to ear level under them. You can return those Klipsch as you won’t need them in this configuration. Here is an example from the SVS Prime Elevation (a similar speaker to your Klipsch) placement guideline:

Notice the separation between the base layer speakers and the height speakers. This is key for a convincing bubble of sound above you.

Like Extremist59, I have been searching for this type of speaker placement for atmos too and it is hard to find. Good information from Poppaduke and USC1995, so thank you both for that! If I understand your posts correctly, in my 7.1 situation, where the fronts are placed where the wall hits the sloped ceiling, the 2 rear surrounds are in the sloped ceiling pointing slightly down to MLP and 2 rear surrounds are about 3' in front of those on the sloped ceiling pointing towards MLP, I do not have a "base layer" that would differentiate atmos sound even if I designated the latter 2 speakers as TML and TMR; is that correct? If yes, then it would not even make sense for me to buy an atmos or even atmos virtualization capable receiver (absent other desired features); is that correct?
Thanks in advance!
post #11 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmhr11 View Post
Like Extremist59, I have been searching for this type of speaker placement for atmos too and it is hard to find. Good information from Poppaduke and USC1995, so thank you both for that! If I understand your posts correctly, in my 7.1 situation, where the fronts are placed where the wall hits the sloped ceiling, the 2 rear surrounds are in the sloped ceiling pointing slightly down to MLP and 2 rear surrounds are about 3' in front of those on the sloped ceiling pointing towards MLP, I do not have a "base layer" that would differentiate atmos sound even if I designated the latter 2 speakers as TML and TMR; is that correct? If yes, then it would not even make sense for me to buy an atmos or even atmos virtualization capable receiver (absent other desired features); is that correct?
Thanks in advance!

If all of your current speakers are placed in the height layer then you will either need to lower them to ear height or add additional ear height speakers and try to repurpose your current speakers as Atmos height speakers. You need to have separation from the base layer and the height layer for Atmos to be effective. If all of your speakers are over your head then you will not be able to tell the sounds designed to come from above from the sounds designed to come from around you. If you cannot place the base layer speakers at ear height for room layout or WAF reasons then Atmos may not be an option for you. If you are able then post a pic and maybe we can make suggestions as to how to repurpose your current height mounted speakers for use in an Atmos system.

sdurani and eawmhr11 like this.
post #12 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Really confused now.

How can "regular" speakers be re-purposed for Atmos height speakers? I thought you had to have Atmos speakers. Mine are regular 2 way speakers.

So all my speakers are mounted too high. Never knew that, always sounded great to me.

I am just going to have to experiment I guess since I obviously can't replace my vaulted ceiling.

I'll keep the Klipschs since they were a great deal and probably better than my JBL SR/SL speakers.

Thanks for all the advise.
post #13 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 7890 Post(s)
Liked: 7084
Quote:
How can "regular" speakers be re-purposed for Atmos height speakers?
Atmos didn't re-invent the physics of sound reproduction. The Atmos format simply added a height layer to the existing base layer. The height layer is made up of speakers, just like the base layer.
Quote:
So all my speakers are mounted too high. Never knew that, always sounded great to me.
Your speakers are mounted up too high for Atmos. The whole point of Atmos is to have clear separation between sounds around you versus sounds above you. That separation is not possible when the base layer speakers AND height layer speakers are ALL high above you.

Sanjay
post #14 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 12:21 PM

w pics

If all of your current speakers are placed in the height layer then you will either need to lower them to ear height or add additional ear height speakers and try to repurpose your current speakers as Atmos height speakers. You need to have separation from the base layer and the height layer for Atmos to be effective. If all of your speakers are over your head then you will not be able to tell the sounds designed to come from above from the sounds designed to come from around you. If you cannot place the base layer speakers at ear height for room layout or WAF reasons then Atmos may not be an option for you. If you are able then post a pic and maybe we can make suggestions as to how to repurpose your current height mounted speakers for use in an Atmos system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]
Thanks very much for the quick reply USC1995 and confirming that in my current setup atmos is not feasible. I am looking to buy a new receiver, which is why I have been looking into the atmos possibilities. I am posting two pics (I hope they come through) as you suggested for feedback re atmos.

As I understand it, I could use the 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, but then would have to add two more rears somewhere. The speakers that are there now (6 Polk RCi60s; Polk CSi3 center; Polk PSW505 sub) were installed when the walls were being constructed. As you can see, the ceiling makes it near impossible to add additional speakers easily, so I am more or less resigned to current config unless someone has some really good, easy to implement, solutions.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear Speakers.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2750730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2750732  

Last edited by eawmhr11; 06-29-2020 at 12:24 PM. Reason: pics didn't attach
post #15 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really confused now.

How can "regular" speakers be re-purposed for Atmos height speakers? I thought you had to have Atmos speakers. Mine are regular 2 way speakers.

I am just going to have to experiment I guess since I obviously can't replace my vaulted ceiling.

I'll keep the Klipschs since they were a great deal and probably better than my JBL SR/SL speakers.

There is nothing special about Atmos speakers, they are just speakers placed above you to create a 3d soundfield that is directed by object metadata. With regular surround sound you have sounds that are in front, to the sides and behind you. With Atmos you now also have sounds that come at you from above as well completing the dome or bubble of sound. The advancement of Atmos is that these sounds are now object based so that the sound mixer can place them anywhere around you and above you to give you a more accurate sense of where they should be coming from. This means that now you can track a helicopter circling above or a fly buzzing around and over you in a more realistic way. Ultimately it is up to the mixers to take advantage of it and many now are. You want to have a separation of the surround speakers from the height speakers so you can perceive the objects as above you if they are placed above you by the mixers or to your sides or way out in front. If all of your speakers are above you then there will be no distinction of height versus ground level and you will lose that effect that the mixer was trying to provide. I have no doubt that in a regular 5.1 or 7.1 mix your speakers sound great mounted up high so everyone can hear all of the channels but there is much more in an Atmos mix that you will not be able to hear without that separation. Here is a video that gives a reasonable overview (although he mistakenly suggests you need some special speaker):
post #16 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really confused now.

There are some speakers specifically designed to be Atmos like those that are designed to bounce off of the ceiling. Some like your Klipsch I believe can bounce or be mounted on the side walls. Smaller bookshelf speakers can be Atmos speakers depending on how they are mounted. Sometimes it's just a name.
Here's a link to the Dolby Atmos page that shows various setup options. https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...speaker-setup/
This link shows how you can mount on wall speakers for Atmos. This is from SVS manual on how to setup their speakers. https://3634088.app.netsuite.com/cor...2e549&_xt=.pdf
eawmhr11 likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #17 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Atmos didn't re-invent the physics of sound reproduction. The Atmos format simply added a height layer to the existing base layer. The height layer is made up of speakers, just like the base layer. Your speakers are mounted up too high for Atmos. The whole point of Atmos is to have clear separation between sounds around you versus sounds above you. That separation is not possible when the base layer speakers AND height layer speakers are ALL high above you.
Gotcha, so I need to lower my Front Speakers to ear level (they are high front now). Have to remove from cabinet and mount on stands.

I can leave the JBL Surround L/R where they are (slightly above ear level but in line with viewing). These can be the new Atmos SDR/SDL. At the height they are currently

Delete the rear surround speakers and put the new Klipsch speakers below the JBLs in line with the viewer below the Surround L/R speakers. They become the new SR/SL.

Like this picture. The SDR/SDL will not be on top of the SR/SL, but mounted 2 feet + higher.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewAtmosSetup.png
Views:	36
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2750734  
post #18 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much for the quick reply USC1995 and confirming that in my current setup atmos is not feasible. I am looking to buy a new receiver, which is why I have been looking into the atmos possibilities. I am posting two pics (I hope they come through) as you suggested for feedback re atmos.

As I understand it, I could use the 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, but then would have to add two more rears somewhere. The speakers that are there now (6 Polk RCi60s; Polk CSi3 center; Polk PSW505 sub) were installed when the walls were being constructed. As you can see, the ceiling makes it near impossible to add additional speakers easily, so I am more or less resigned to current config unless someone has some really good, easy to implement, solutions.

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

What I would do is get some bookshelf speakers and place them on the wall where I have indicated in red and aimed at your ears. This would mean running wire to the wall your bed is against or you could use a device like this for wireless surrounds:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...B&gclsrc=aw.ds For the Atmos speakers I would use the ceiling speakers I have circled as Top Middle speakers if you buy an AVR that can only do 5.1.2. If you purchase an AVR that can do 5.1.4 then I would also use the other two ceiling speakers and label your ceiling speakers as either Top Front, Top Rear or Top Middle, Rear Height depending on what the AVR provides as options. You would need to play around with the assignments and test using some Atmos demos to see what sounds best. Ultimately, if you are willing to add rear speakers where I have indicated then I think you can have a nice setup. The final thing I would do would be to add another pair of bookshelf speakers on your TV wall about 2-3 feet lower than your current front in wall speakers but that is of less importance compared to adding rear surrounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear Speakers.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2750736  
post #19 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotcha, so I need to lower my Front Speakers to ear level (they are high front now). Have to remove from cabinet and mount on stands.

I can leave the JBL Surround L/R where they are (slightly above ear level but in line with viewing). These can be the new Atmos SDR/SDL. At the height they are currently

Delete the rear surround speakers and put the new Klipsch speakers below the JBLs in line with the viewer below the Surround L/R speakers. They become the new SR/SL.

Like this picture. The SDR/SDL will not be on top of the SR/SL, but mounted 2 feet + higher.
That picture shows placement for DAES ceiling bounce speakers which you cannot do with your vaulted ceiling. Attached is a picture of your setup marked with how I would move speakers to add Atmos. Hopefully it is clear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Speaker_Placement.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	2750750  
eawmhr11 likes this.
post #20 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

See pic.
You have to lower your surround & surround back speakers to get good Atmos sound.
So I would put down the Surround back speakers (back wall) to ear high and set them to Surround speakers, while the Surround speakers (left/right Side walls) should be replaced with the Atmos speakers (RP-140SA) as high as now. (Or you can leave them there without replace, almost all speakers can be "Atmos speakers") just set it up to Atmos Overhead "Top middle" in the AVR's speaker configuration.
You have to separate the down speaker layout (5.1) and the height layout (.2), so you get the 5.1.2 and feel the Height effects. Attached some picture of my layout, because I have the same Atmos speaker. The 3. picture is what you want. That was my previous speaker layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200615_160916561_iOS.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2750744   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200615_161125301_iOS.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2750746   Click image for larger version

Name:	klipsch_onwall_cut.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2750748  

Klipsch Reference Premiere DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - SVS SB12-NSD
LG OLED65C9 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Himedia Q30 - Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition
post #21 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
What I would do is get some bookshelf speakers and place them on the wall where I have indicated in red and aimed at your ears. This would mean running wire to the wall your bed is against or you could use a device like this for wireless surrounds:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...B&gclsrc=aw.ds For the Atmos speakers I would use the ceiling speakers I have circled as Top Middle speakers if you buy an AVR that can only do 5.1.2. If you purchase an AVR that can do 5.1.4 then I would also use the other two ceiling speakers and label your ceiling speakers as either Top Front, Top Rear or Top Middle, Rear Height depending on what the AVR provides as options. You would need to play around with the assignments and test using some Atmos demos to see what sounds best. Ultimately, if you are willing to add rear speakers where I have indicated then I think you can have a nice setup. The final thing I would do would be to add another pair of bookshelf speakers on your TV wall about 2-3 feet lower than your current front in wall speakers but that is of less importance compared to adding rear surrounds.[/QUOTE]

I have been looking for this kind of information for a month and the “consultation” here from USC1995 and Poppaduke is the MOST helpful I could ask for. You guys rock!
A few more questions though as I am a little confused about how I would actually set this up and what would be required from receiver. If I added the wireless bookshelf speakers (great idea!) and used the 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, and added two more bookshelf speakers on front wall 2-3’ below current speakers, how would those 4 (2 new bookshelf + 2 existing in wall) be designated (labeled) and used? And now how many channels are there? Am I at 7.1.4 or 9.1.4?
Thanks again!
post #22 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I would do is get some bookshelf speakers and place them on the wall where I have indicated in red and aimed at your ears. This would mean running wire to the wall your bed is against or you could use a device like this for wireless surrounds:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...B&gclsrc=aw.ds For the Atmos speakers I would use the ceiling speakers I have circled as Top Middle speakers if you buy an AVR that can only do 5.1.2. If you purchase an AVR that can do 5.1.4 then I would also use the other two ceiling speakers and label your ceiling speakers as either Top Front, Top Rear or Top Middle, Rear Height depending on what the AVR provides as options. You would need to play around with the assignments and test using some Atmos demos to see what sounds best. Ultimately, if you are willing to add rear speakers where I have indicated then I think you can have a nice setup. The final thing I would do would be to add another pair of bookshelf speakers on your TV wall about 2-3 feet lower than your current front in wall speakers but that is of less importance compared to adding rear surrounds.

I have been looking for this kind of information for a month and the “consultation” here from USC1995 and Poppaduke is the MOST helpful I could ask for. You guys rock!
A few more questions though as I am a little confused about how I would actually set this up and what would be required from receiver. If I added the wireless bookshelf speakers (great idea!) and used the 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, and added two more bookshelf speakers on front wall 2-3’ below current speakers, how would those 4 (2 new bookshelf + 2 existing in wall) be designated (labeled) and used? And now how many channels are there? Am I at 7.1.4 or 9.1.4?
Thanks again![/QUOTE]
I help when I can because plenty of AVS members have helped me. That's how we keep this thing going.

post #23 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That picture shows placement for DAES ceiling bounce speakers which you cannot do with your vaulted ceiling. Attached is a picture of your setup marked with how I would move speakers to add Atmos. Hopefully it is clear.

Right that was what I was thinking. Thanks!
post #24 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

The front wall would consist of your new bookshelfs for L and R and your existing Center. The back wall would consist of your new bookshelfs for Surround Right and Surround left. This would be a 5.x base layer. Your ceiling speakers would be your height speakers so you would be running a 5.x.2 or 4 setup depending on the AVR you purchase. You want to purchase an AVR with 9 channels and 9 amps to use all of these speakers. Something like the new Denon x3700 would work great.
post #25 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:

The front wall would consist of your new bookshelfs for L and R and your existing Center. The back wall would consist of your new bookshelfs for Surround Right and Surround left. This would be a 5.x base layer. Your ceiling speakers would be your height speakers so you would be running a 5.x.2 or 4 setup depending on the AVR you purchase. You want to purchase an AVR with 9 channels and 9 amps to use all of these speakers. Something like the new Denon x3700 would work great.

So the existing fronts would no longer be used at all (unless I just moved them down)?
Yeah, have been looking at 2600/2700 or 3600 / 3700 and now I see that if I want to go with atmos in future I will need 3600 or 3700 to make it work based on the suggested layout. Otherwise, if I am not going to add atmos, which requires 2 - 4 additional / new speakers, the Denon x2500 or x3500 would work. Really appreciate the feedback!
post #26 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the existing fronts would no longer be used at all (unless I just moved them down)?
Yeah, have been looking at 2600/2700 or 3600 / 3700 and now I see that if I want to go with atmos in future I will need 3600 or 3700 to make it work based on the suggested layout. Otherwise, if I am not going to add atmos, which requires 2 - 4 additional / new speakers, the Denon x2500 or x3500 would work. Really appreciate the feedback!

You could really go down the rabbit hole and buy a 13 channel AVR like the new Denon x6700 and use those current front speakers as Front Heights in a 5.1.6 setup with Front Height, Top Middle and Rear Height speakers but at this point I would start with what we have discussed earlier and go from there. Your current fronts will work, they would just work better if lower on the wall.

post #27 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You could really go down the rabbit hole and buy a 13 channel AVR like the new Denon x6700 and use those current front speakers as Front Heights in a 5.1.6 setup with Front Height, Top Middle and Rear Height speakers but at this point I would start with what we have discussed earlier and go from there. Your current fronts will work, they would just work better if lower on the wall.

OK, I am not looking for that deep a rabbit hole! Need to think this all over and see what's available on the receiver market as the new models come out. Might be that I stick with 7.1 now, get the 3500 and start trying to figure out how I can best implement the plan for atmos in the future.

Any recommendations for those rear bookshelf speakers?

Thanks again!
post #28 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I am not looking for that deep a rabbit hole! Need to think this all over and see what's available on the receiver market as the new models come out. Might be that I stick with 7.1 now, get the 3500 and start trying to figure out how I can best implement the plan for atmos in the future.

Any recommendations for those rear bookshelf speakers?

Thanks again!

The Polk Signature series has received good reviews and they are a good value. I am a Polk guy with a 7.3.4 system made up the older RTi series in my base layer and four MC80s in my ceiling. There a number of threads on bookshelf speakers on AVS where you can get input on other brands you may want to check out.

eawmhr11 likes this.
post #29 of 39 Old 07-01-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The Polk Signature series has received good reviews and they are a good value. I am a Polk guy with a 7.3.4 system made up the older RTi series in my base layer and four MC80s in my ceiling. There a number of threads on bookshelf speakers on AVS where you can get input on other brands you may want to check out.

Thanks for the speaker suggestions. I looked at the Signature Series but didn't see any mounting options. What type of mounting hardware would I need to secure these to the wall as you suggested?
post #30 of 39 Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the speaker suggestions. I looked at the Signature Series but didn't see any mounting options. What type of mounting hardware would I need to secure these to the wall as you suggested?

I know the S15 has a keyhole slot that you can use a simple screw to mount it with. For the S20 I believe you would need something like this if you didn’t want drill a hole through the “power port” on the back: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...waArDwEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page