Pre-wired for speakers ... to the wrong wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2020, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Pre-wired for speakers ... to the wrong wall

Hi - first post. I just bought a house with wire already run in the living room for two front and two rear channels. The problem is these wires all terminate at a single junction box on the wall *opposite* from where we decided to mount the TV (Samsung Frame with weird external power/controller box). Said another way, we decided to put the TV on a different wall from where the builder/installer intended. What are my options for connecting an amplifier/receiver if I want a center channel? Both walls have three cat6 cables run to laundry room above living room.

I've been looking at HDMI over ethernet options, but I can't figure out the center channel. One idea was to run HDMI (ARC) over ethernet to the opposite wall, plugin a receiver there, and run HDMI *back* over ethernet to the center channel and connect a 2 channel receiver which feels ... stupid.

I was also thinking about wireless for the center channel, but I'd like to avoid them, because there's a lot of RF noise in my environment. I'm also not sure about delays if I'm mixing wireless and wired.

Last edited by John Syrinek; 07-01-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I expect that most people reading your post didn’t figure out that you only want to move the TV across the room, but keep the AVR where it was originally intended to be.

Your best option is to find something that converts analog audio to something that can use the Ethernet line. It would be fed from your AVR’s center-channel RCA output. Obviously an amplifier for the center channel speaker would be needed at the TV end.

You have another issue as well: Remote-controlling the AVR located behind you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
philpoe likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
I expect that most people reading your post didn’t figure out that you only want to move the TV across the room, but keep the AVR where it was originally intended to be.

Your best option is to find something that converts analog audio to something that can use the Ethernet line. It would be fed from your AVR’s center-channel RCA output. Obviously an amplifier for the center channel speaker would be needed at the TV end.

You have another issue as well: Remote-controlling the AVR located behind you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Sorry for the confusion - I updated the OP. Thanks for the tip Wayne - I guess I'll scrounge the internet for the audio-to-ethernet-to-audio thingy now. I guess it would need to have an amplifier on the end connected to the center speakers and would therefore be plugged into a power outlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Are the speaker wires run in the walls, or up over the ceiling and back down on the other side?

Is the laundry room above the same size as the living room, or is there another room above a part of the living room?
What (if anything) is under the living room?
What type of floor is in the living room?

I ask because it may be relatively easy to fish an HDMI cable into the wall and run it across the room above or below if aesthetics matter less there.
Depending on the structure of the floor and/or joists under it, cables might run there as well.
If the floor can't be compromised, if you have baseboards, you can pull them and run wire/cables, then put them back. a carpenter could rout a channel for cable/wires if there's not enough room.
If you run an HDMI cable over to the other side, just pair some in-wall speaker wire as well to accommodate the center channel.
(of course all with appropriate in-wall ratings)

A little out of the box - If you don't need to see the AVR and equipment (ie, no optical discs), you could even place it out of the room where cable aesthetics may matter less. Perhaps the laundry room.
Run the appropriate cables/wires to the desired walls to make it an easier wire-fishing job. RF/WiFi remote control solutions solve the control.
I'm assuming that the laundry room was meant to serve as some sort of electronics hub if there's so much cat6 running to it.

You could try HDMI over ethernet, and there's also audio over ethernet. HDMI is limited to 1080p AFAIK, and AoE may introduce a delay. You'll have to read a little on those.
There's also wireless HDMI, but I don't think that helps here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Syrinek View Post
Hi - first post. I just bought a house with wire already run in the living room for two front and two rear channels. The problem is these wires all terminate at a single junction box on the wall *opposite* from where we decided to mount the TV (Samsung Frame with weird external power/controller box). Said another way, we decided to put the TV on a different wall from where the builder/installer intended. What are my options for connecting an amplifier/receiver if I want a center channel? Both walls have three cat6 cables run to laundry room above living room.

I've been looking at HDMI over ethernet options, but I can't figure out the center channel. One idea was to run HDMI (ARC) over ethernet to the opposite wall, plugin a receiver there, and run HDMI *back* over ethernet to the center channel and connect a 2 channel receiver which feels ... stupid.

I was also thinking about wireless for the center channel, but I'd like to avoid them, because there's a lot of RF noise in my environment. I'm also not sure about delays if I'm mixing wireless and wired.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2020, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why not just have the wires re run to the correct wall?

Should be cheaper then HDMI over ethernet or wireless options and it will be done right.

low voltage/speaker wire fishing is cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6765 Post(s)
Liked: 4980
Maybe not applicable here but as a generality. . .

Pro tip: If a room is wired flipped from how you want it you can sometimes reverse it by using the "front" labelled connections to the back speakers, "back" reallocated as the fronts, and sometimes with adapters/ amps the subwoofer wire is (or can be if needed) reallocated to become a center channel (it will need an amp in the front of the room for the AVR's center channel pre out signal) and the center channel wiring is reallocated to be a sub (many subs already take high level speaker inputs without any purchase of an adapter necessary).
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2020, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
sometimes ... the subwoofer wire is (or can be if needed) reallocated to become a center channel ...
Hmm, that's an interesting idea - thanks so much for sharing! I think there are a few other wires run to the TV, so I'm going to look into that. This might solve the hardest problem for me. Maybe I can get what I want by finding a good HDMI to cat6 converter, plug the TV into the receiver on the opposite wall, then possibly use one of the other cable types for the center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page