Home Theater of the Month: Vikgrao's Fortress of Solitude - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Don't forget, that is a folded horn sub which probably equals 4 or more of Popalock's sealed 18's. On top, there are 6 12" woofers spread across the front stage, from those Catalyst 12c's. People have claimed that those speakers are on par with the high end subwoofers. One of the GTG meetups had comments such as "Full range speakers should not be able to play this low."

So, depending on how the setup is crossed over, he could be benefitting from the same concepts as multiple sub placement, especially if he is using those LCR's as full range. As for the "high" pricetag: When you want to soundproof a room correctly without cutting corners, it's going to cost a lot of money. Popalock has posted pictures of his stairs and hallways cracking. I suspect that will not be happening with this setup. Those Seaton speakers are also on another level over the Klipsch RF7's.

Basically, Apples and Oranges. Popalock's might be better bang for the buck, while Vikgrao's house will still be standing this time next year.

I said that (as well as others) about the cats. They only do that when using a special DSP mode and most wont run them like that in a HT, but yes itrs quite impressive

very nice looking HT. i remember seeing pics of it come together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post

I love that in a $100,000 system, Monoprice cables still make sense smile.gif

It shows you that Vikram & family knew enough to spend their money on quality items that will improve their Home Theater rather than just throwing it away on cables with a huge mark-up because of their name...Mo---er C--le that don't perform any better.

Wonderful job to everyone who helped out on this build!
Valtyr likes this.

post #33 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
just speechless, love the color theme you guys choose. One day i will get my own home and a dedicated theater, congrats on your build. Enjoy it. smile.gif

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 2101
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I find it extremely gratifying that ID companies such as Seaton and JTR are getting much deserved exposure for their truly phenomenal products.

Next level stuff indeed.

In fact, one of my biggest regrets is not having a set of the JTR Noesis for my front L/C/R before last months article was written.

Don't get me wrong. My RF-7II's are very capable, but as others have already mentioned...the Cat's and Noesis are in a different league.

The Cat12's are the most memorable demo I've ever had. I don't have near as many speaker auditions under my belt as some others, but experiencing the Cat12's running full range is borderline shocking! I would go so far to say that Vik has more than enough fire power from his mains to run subless and still provide a world class experience.

That said, given there is an OS in the mix (with room for another might I add), I personally would have taken a slightly different approach...but at this level any (subjective) gains to be had would be negligible for ninety-nine % of the time spent enjoying movies or music in the room.

Again. My hats off for your design, HT Contractor and equipment choices. Very informed, dare I say - surgical, decision making.
imagic likes this.
post #35 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Awesome room and it looks fantastic!

I am a little confused though why a $100k build uses a $3k projector? Is he waiting for 4k to get cheaper or something? The 6020 is very good, no doubt, but there are many options under 10k which are arguable better.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #36 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
Wow, very impressed with this HT! I remember seeing this build thread and the end results is fantastic looking!

I am sure the sights and sounds are fantastic too!
post #37 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 715
So they spent all that money on building a beastly home theater, and then skimped on projector instead of going with a JVC...?

tongue.gif

post #38 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
post #39 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Awesome room and it looks fantastic!

I am a little confused though why a $100k build uses a $3k projector? Is he waiting for 4k to get cheaper or something? The 6020 is very good, no doubt, but there are many options under 10k which are arguable better.

Yes i did skimp on the projector. Remember this is my first home theater build. and i was overwhelmed by the amount of info during the build and how to correctly budget on what counts. I always considered myself a audiophile than videophile and allotted the budget unevenly with more into soundproofing and audio and acoustic treatments than Video. If i had to do it again i would have spent the budget more evenly and given equal importance to Video and video processing, not that the 6020 is doing a bad job in the theater i.m.h.o.

I have a bad case of upgrade fever every few months in a year so i will be definitely replacing the projector down the road. I was very interested in the release of the Red ray laser projector though and i thought it would release around early this year so untill then i thought i would buy something less expensive to get by.

My Curve Frenzy Theater a.k.a Man of Steel Theater
Current Equipment: Dreamscreen V6 140 inch screen,Seaton Catalyst 12C x3,JTR Orbitshifter ULF,Procella Audio P6V x6,JVC RS2000/NX7 4K Projector,Panamorph Paladin DCR anamorphic lens,Denon AVRX8500H receiver,Panasonic UB8204k player,Oppo bdp 93 blu ray player
Nvidia Shield Pro,Panamax MB1500UPS,Monster Power HTS 5100 MK11,Insteon hub/iRule
post #40 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Popalock and Gary Thanks!, I am itching to come to Chantilly and Maryland for a demo of your theaters at some point in time. I have relatives in fairfax, not to mention meeting Jeff again if i do the trip!

Current Equipment: Dreamscreen V6 140 inch screen,Seaton Catalyst 12C x3,JTR Orbitshifter ULF,Procella Audio P6V x6,JVC RS2000/NX7 4K Projector,Panamorph Paladin DCR anamorphic lens,Denon AVRX8500H receiver,Panasonic UB8204k player,Oppo bdp 93 blu ray player
Nvidia Shield Pro,Panamax MB1500UPS,Monster Power HTS 5100 MK11,Insteon hub/iRule
post #41 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

So they spent all that money on building a beastly home theater, and then skimped on projector instead of going with a JVC...?

tongue.gif

I mentioned the reason for my skimping in the above post smile.gif I did demo the newer JVC models earlier this year and i felt the 6020 did a better job of lighting up my screen post calibration.

post #42 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Now that looks like a well designed cinema! Nice Job!

Out of sheer curiosity how well were you able to keep the sound from escaping? ie can people outside or in other parts of the house know that a movie is even playing at reference or is it completely inaudible/vibration proof?

Hi, all sounds are completely inaudible to the rest of the house at max volume, and that was my goal. Coming to vibrations from the Sub, at around reference levels when my ribs were rattling inside the theater during various bass scenes with sub running hot, I repeatedly stepped out of the theater and noticed there is no vibration in the room surrounding the theater, but there is a very faint vibration like your mobile phone vibrating in your pocket kind of feeling directly above the theater in the living room in a particular area. the only way to feel it though is to stand in that area, otherwise no one in the living room notices it.

Also inside the theater like i said above, my body and the raiser built as a bass trap are the only things vibrating. I was not feeling vibration on any of the walls, ceiling, screen wall or screen. there was also no rattling of any kind from the hvac grills, can lights cup holders, projector etc.

once again, well done!
post #43 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5121
post #44 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
100k... And here I thought we were in a recession! Oh well, who wants Starbucks? Wait-- nevermind-- I keep forgetting my Veyron has no cup holders...
ItalianStallionX likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #45 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Great theater! Good job!

I think a lot of people in this thread don't understand how much labor and material is involved in a build of this caliper... All they see is equipment and a final price tag...

Buildings are permanent and difficult to change, equipment is short lived and easily replaced.

Oppo 103D
Samsung pn64f8500
Pioneer vsx-82txs
And a bunch of DIY speakers and subs.
Coming soon: Dirac Room Correction
post #46 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments guys. If you want to do it right from beginning to end and if you do not have a lot of DIY skills like most guys in the dedicated theater section do, labor is going to cost money. I felt it was worth every penny and noticed a huge difference from my previous setup, and what implementation of proper home theater building science can do for the movie watching experience. Also this build is only a fraction of the cost of other awesome theaters on this forum. I was saving up for this dream to come true for a while.
fitbrit likes this.

post #47 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Yes i did skimp on the projector. Remember this is my first home theater build. and i was overwhelmed by the amount of info during the build and how to correctly budget on what counts. I always considered myself a audiophile than videophile and allotted the budget unevenly with more into soundproofing and audio and acoustic treatments than Video. If i had to do it again i would have spent the budget more evenly and given equal importance to Video and video processing, not that the 6020 is doing a bad job in the theater i.m.h.o.

I have a bad case of upgrade fever every few months in a year so i will be definitely replacing the projector down the road. I was very interested in the release of the Red ray laser projector though and i thought it would release around early this year so untill then i thought i would buy something less expensive to get by.

That makes sense. In any case, you can just hang on for a while as the 4k projectors are coming to levels mortals can afford. The new Sony 500ES has been rumored to be as low as $10k dollars, but we won't really know until CEDIA in a few weeks. Or, even better, one of the laser projectors. Of course depending on the budget you could get the sim lumis or something also (a new one is supposed to be coming out with 3d).

Lots of options coming soon smile.gif

The 6020 is a very good all around projector which is a good placeholder and should satisfy you for a while until you decide which projector to go to, which would probably be 4k if I were you.

Great build! Love superman smile.gif

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #48 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, i am thinking in the same lines currently.

post #49 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Congrats Vik!!!

This theater is the frickin real deal! Its how every high end theater should be built. I had such a blast subscribing to Viks build thread and watching it come together. This theater will always be special to me cause I was building my theater at the exact same time. His equipment choices mirror what mine would be in a no holds barred HT. As said Jeff is an absolute genious as is The Erskine Group and Id hire them in a hearbeat. This theater is just incredible. Be proud Vikgrao!!
vikgrao likes this.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #50 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wonderful theater Vikram!! Looks fantastic and i'm sure it sounds great as well!! Congrats!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #51 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

double-stud walls and ceiling along with three layers of 5/8-inch drywall separated by Green Glue noise-damping compound, all of which is decoupled from the studs using whisper clips and hat channels. The walls and ceiling are further insulated with R19 and R25 material
Seems somewhat overkill and a lot of redundant stuff

Double studs, 3 sheets of drywall AND whisper clips???
post #52 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Yes it is! But Thats how I wanted it though, lots and lots of mass , since its very hard to keep the low frequency contained at high volumes! Not to mention me and lot of my friends are bassheads and occasionally crank it on weekday nights!
djjoshuad likes this.

post #53 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Nice theater! Great job!
vikgrao likes this.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #54 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9399 Post(s)
Liked: 16682
Quote:

Yes it is! But Thats how I wanted it though, lots and lots of mass , since its very hard to keep the low frequency contained at high volumes! Not to mention me and lot of my friends are bassheads and occasionally crank it on weekday nights!

That's a profound feature to have, and I commend you for creating an isolated sound chamber. In the past, I have aggravated a neighbor or two, and even today I occasionally wish I could crank my system late at night without upsetting anyone. biggrin.gif
vikgrao likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #55 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

That's a profound feature to have, and I commend you for creating an isolated sound chamber. In the past, I have aggravated a neighbor or two, and even today I occasionally wish I could crank my system late at night without upsetting anyone. biggrin.gif

This. Lots of people have an amazing sound system, but what good does it do you if you get the cops called on you whenever you want to watch a movie at loud volumes? Seriously, can't count the number of times in my life I've had the cops knocking on the door because my friends and I were too loud with our music and movies.

The soundproofing is seriously impressive. And it looks amazing!
vikgrao likes this.
post #56 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris Cipher View Post

This. Lots of people have an amazing sound system, but what good does it do you if you get the cops called on you whenever you want to watch a movie at loud volumes? Seriously, can't count the number of times in my life I've had the cops knocking on the door because my friends and I were too loud with our music and movies.

The soundproofing is seriously impressive. And it looks amazing!

Thanks, Mark and Polaris, Myself and each of my neighbor's have over an acre around our houses so disturbing neighbor's was never the problem. Disturbing the wife was! If she gets disturbed she is hell bent on wreaking havoc during my movie time and did it a few times too biggrin.gif Now after all that overkill soundproofing i no longer have the issue at all. Now She does not even know that just after she falls asleep i am sneaking out of the bed in the middle of the night, and get myself a fix by cranking it on most days biggrin.gif

Hope she does not read this post eek.gif

post #57 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 720 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 3487
Quote:

Thanks, Mark and Polaris, Myself and each of my neighbor's have over an acre around our houses so disturbing neighbor's was never the problem. Disturbing the wife was! If she gets disturbed she is hell bent on wreaking havoc during my movie time and did it a few times too biggrin.gif Now after all that overkill soundproofing i no longer have the issue at all. Now She does not even know that just after she falls asleep i am sneaking out of the bed in the middle of the night, and get myself a fix by cranking it on most days biggrin.gif

Hope she does not read this post eek.gif

That's so nice to have. I don't have the isolation you do, but for some reason the way my house is configured I can crank it up as much as I want even at 3 am.

In your house are the bass frequencies all contained too? Surely some of the bass can be heard outside the room right? If not, wow. I'm jealous of your room for many reasons, one of which I bet you have zero rattle issues.
post #58 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Carp, I heard from avs member and friend "pennynike1" the demo experiences he had in your theater and he was all praise. If you see my build thread he drove down to my place in June this year when i was relatively free and we wreaked havoc for 8-10 hours starting in the evening and continuing for another 4 hours the next day with the volume dial @ +6 above reference. During the night My wife was right above in the living room watching law and order on USA channel with TV volume very low. I came up a few times and asked if anything was bothering her like vibration or volume and she said she did not feel or hear anything and continued watching tv!

And if anyone on this forum knows how pennynike1 loves his bass, bringing him in for a demo tongue.gif is the ultimate test to figure out if your soundproofing was successful or not biggrin.gif

Regarding rattling there is zero rattling except for your ribs and no foreign sounds other than what is playing in the movie. The vibration you will feel is your body and the raiser designed as bass trap. and like i said in the above post at those volume levels with the orbitshifter firing away during intense bass demo scenes i told pennynike 1 to go ahead and touch any part he wanted in the theater like walls ceiling furniture etc and tell if he could hear or feel anything other than the movie and he could not and was impressed.

post #59 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 720 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 3487
Quote:

Carp, I heard from avs member and friend "pennynike1" the demo experiences he had in your theater and he was all praise. If you see my build thread he drove down to my place in June this year when i was relatively free and we wreaked havoc for 8-10 hours starting in the evening and continuing for another 4 hours the next day with the volume dial @ +6 above reference. During the night My wife was right above in the living room watching law and order on USA channel with TV volume very low. I came up a few times and asked if anything was bothering her like vibration or volume and she said she did not feel or hear anything and continued watching tv!

And if anyone on this forum knows how pennynike1 loves his bass, bringing him in for a demo tongue.gif is the ultimate test to figure out if your soundproofing was successful or not biggrin.gif

Ah, very cool vikgrao - small world. smile.gif

Haha, I know a lot of bass-heads (including me) and have been to a few GTG's with guys who are known to like it loud and Alex has no competition for craving bass. Seriously, the KC group thought we were bass heads until he came down for the weekend - we realized we are amateurs. biggrin.gif You said it perfectly, he is the ultimate test for soundproofing. The part of your post I put in bold is amazing - complete freedom in your own room man, that is priceless.

Question for you - do you have a pretty good bass frequency response throughout the room or do you ever think about getting a second Orbit Shifter to smooth out the bass?
post #60 of 114 Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1193
*It was inevitable* let the discussion on how to add more subs commence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Seaton Sound Catalyst 12c , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Playstation 3 160gb System , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Panamorph Uh480 Anamorphic Lens , Monster Hts 5100 10 Outlet Power Center With Stage 4 Clean Power , Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page