What Are Your Favorite Soundbars? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 88 Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

I'm glad you like. smile.gif

Welcome to the 580 tribe.

Your experience with it new reminds me of a little trick I did. I installed the 580 under the TV in my HT room, and had some friends come in to listen to my system. The whole time I was playing just the 580, but they thought I was playing the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Blu-Ray concert (wonderful recording - it's really transporting) through my mains (two full-size tower speakers). You should have seen their jaws drop when I showed them where the sound was coming from.

smile.gif

Now that is cool. Clearly the 580 is a different animal than the 555. I did not expect the change in resolution, but I really should have. Bigger drivers, more drivers, better physical separation, much bigger amplifier. Nothing fancy about it, but man that box COOKS! Crazy good.

Anyway, enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you!!!!!!
post #33 of 88 Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Scott. There definitely has to be a distinction powered and unpowered and then needing a sub or not. And then there is the question of sound quality which the Sonos Playbar is just average at best. The problem is people like it but just don't realize how much better sounding stuff is out there. I too am looking for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 88 Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Scott. There definitely has to be a distinction powered and unpowered and then needing a sub or not. And then there is the question of sound quality which the Sonos Playbar is just average at best. The problem is people like it but just don't realize how much better sounding stuff is out there. I too am looking for one.

I'm looking as well...I would really like to listen to the Pioneer Soundbar and the ZVOX580. Would love the B&W Panoroma but a little pricey. Anymore suggestions?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #35 of 88 Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

I'm looking as well...I would really like to listen to the Pioneer Soundbar and the ZVOX580. Would love the B&W Panoroma but a little pricey. Anymore suggestions?

Find a local Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Theater section inside. The regular BBY area will have the Pioneer sound bar, while the MHT section will have the 580. Call ahead to make sure the store you've got in mind has connected displays of both, just so you're not wasting your time.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #36 of 88 Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Find a local Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Theater section inside. The regular BBY area will have the Pioneer sound bar, while the MHT section will have the 580. Call ahead to make sure the store you've got in mind has connected displays of both, just so you're not wasting your time.

Thanks...I didn't realize Magnolia carried ZVOX.

post #37 of 88 Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I'm happy with my JBL SB200. I wanted a soundbar without subwoofer, with built-in power supply (no wall wart), and one that would simply blend in below the TV and not stand out like a sore thumb. The only thing I miss is no HDMI connectivity but the optical works fine with the TV. I am able to control all soundbar settings (including volume and on/off) with my universal remote, except for the bass boost which I recommend not using anyway. If you can get one for under $200 as I did, I think you will be happy with the investment. Kicks butt on the TV speakers. I can actually understand all dialogue now.

Sean
post #38 of 88 Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 PM

Hi everybody

I just bought a CineMate® 1 SR home theater speaker system and the sound is phenomenal. A little pricey from my perspective though.
post #39 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I don't know what's good or what's bad, but I bought an Energy Power Bar Elite at Black Friday last year for $349 (retails at $599). I just thought it was a good deal to get for my parents for Christmas when they were upgrading from a 2005 plasma with decent speakers to a Sammy F8500 with obviously crappy sound. I just figured hell, they needed something. It sounds pretty good. Nothing compared to $2000 soundbars, but I'd like to hear those for myself as well.

I'm sure that will be on sale again at Magnolia for the same price.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #40 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Polk Audio SurroundBar 5000 ($399) for smaller rooms and the SurroundBar 9000 ($799) for larger spaces. We've sold and installed well over 100 of these and I find them easy to use, very reliable and their performance is outstanding. smile.gif

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #41 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Try the Harman Kardon SB30. Also it has Dolby Volume which is nice.
post #42 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 587
My favorite soundbar is no soundbar. Death to soundbars.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #43 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm going to purchase one for a bedroom. Soundbars are almost non-existent in my country, so I'll need to import one. Thus, it's best if I can keep the shipping weight below 8.9lb (4Kg), since that's when Customs start to charge import fees. Any suggestions are welcome.

post #44 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I don't know what's good or what's bad, but I bought an Energy Power Bar Elite at Black Friday last year for $349 (retails at $599). I just thought it was a good deal to get for my parents for Christmas when they were upgrading from a 2005 plasma with decent speakers to a Sammy F8500 with obviously crappy sound. I just figured hell, they needed something. It sounds pretty good. Nothing compared to $2000 soundbars, but I'd like to hear those for myself as well.

Please don't assume extra money buys better sound. I have had two soundbars in my home that were at or near the $2K mark. One I still own, the other I had the chance to sample for about six weeks. I own several other sound bars, and have others pass through my home, in the under $ 400 category that equalled or surpassed both of the high price units in almost every category including accurate audio. Many people are going to assume that just because a piece of equipment is made by a well respected manufacturer or it costs lots of money it is therefore a superior piece of equipment.

By the way, when comparing soundbars, I first compare them to my reference speaker system to looking for tonal and aural inomalies. After that, I compare to another speaker bar. One at a time.

David Freeman
post #45 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Please don't assume extra money buys better sound. I have had two soundbars in my home that were at or near the $2K mark. One I still own, the other I had the chance to sample for about six weeks. I own several other sound bars, and have others pass through my home, in the under $ 400 category that equalled or surpassed both of the high price units in almost every category including accurate audio. Many people are going to assume that just because a piece of equipment is made by a well respected manufacturer or it costs lots of money it is therefore a superior piece of equipment.

By the way, when comparing soundbars, I first compare them to my reference speaker system to looking for tonal and aural inomalies. After that, I compare to another speaker bar. One at a time.
A near $2000 sound bar?!?!? ....why? Monster cables too?

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #46 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Thank you for the input! I've done some homework and it looks like there's a problem with the Pioneer - that's unresolved. I also looked thru other threads and it seems folks have problems setting up their sound bars. Polk doesn't work with Netflix? etc.

The TV is a Panisonic ST50 with full 3-D, Viera connect - access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc, Viera remote, built-in web browser & wireless internet, DLNA compliant, USB & SD card support, 3 HDMI inputs, no VGA input, 2 USB inputs etc.

I hope to avoid duplication of function - not paying for something I already have, and to avoid setup problems.

Does that change your answer?

Thank you!

Here's a twist - we live in the desert where there is no humidity and static can be a problem. Would that have any effect?
post #47 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

What are several of your favorites?

post #48 of 88 Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwalshrynder View Post

Sonos PlayBar with wireless sub. By far the most bang for your buck!! Easily play all your music through this soundbar. Also you have the option to add wireless rear speakers?!?! Holy Crap THIS Thing is AWESOME!!! Kinda pricy but worth every dime.

+1. Sonos playbar is awesome.

Not sure about bang for buck, because it's $1400 for bar and sub... But I agree about everything else. I LOVE my new Sonos Playbar/Sub setup. Super sound for my space constricted bedroom. The sub booms despite being only 6" deep. Much easier placement than any of the similarly priced options.

I also got the Play-1s as rears - a nice addition for movies.

If you are ok throwing 2k at your bedroom, and you have serious space limitations, Sonos is a fantastic option.
post #49 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM

Liked: 11
Yamaha YSP-3300. Excellent surround, great sound overall.
ollygee likes this.
post #50 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 14
I have a Zvox 555 and it does a decent job despite being in a large room. I have it hooked up to a separate subwoofer and the bass is fantastic. The two places where the Zvox really shines are:

1) Dialogue. The dialogue comes in crystal clear, so you are not always turning up the volume to hear dialogue during quiet scenes in a movie, then turning it down because the action gets too loud. And this is without the Zvox's "Dialogue Emphasis" mode engaged which makes dialogue even clearer.

2) Looks. The best looking soundbar period. Very much wife-approved; this thing looks elegant and not ugly like most soundbars. I like the look of the Zvox 555 much better than the Zvox 580 as the 580 is just huge, but that might be a preference thing.

Now, I wouldn't say the Zvox is the best soundbar in terms of music (it does sound good, but not great), but for TV and movies, I think it is fantastic.
post #51 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
I just picked up the Vizio S4221w-C4, but I haven't had the chance to hook it up yet. I got it based on the great reviews it had and it is on sale right now at Best Buy for $199. I got it strictly for gaming in my man cave as I have a more high end system for home theater duty in another room. Also, I wanted great performance, but was unwilling to spend an arm and a leg on a soundbar.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/soundbar-roundup-vizio-s4221w-c4

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #52 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaFrank View Post

The Sonos Playbar is a nice unit but it cannot be used with an existing surround system as a center channel speaker because it does not have a preamp input or speaker level input for center channel usage.

In my opinion, the finest sound and build quality can be found in the Horizon Series products offered by Leon Speakers.
Custom made to match your TV finish and size.
They offer an Ultra Thin model for the newer LCD/LED TVs and they also offer an audiophile version too.
Nothing compares to these sound bars for quality, fit, and finish.
But they are a bit pricey so be forewarned. 
You can also order them in any configuration you want. LR, LCR or just Center.
Starting prices are around $1,200.00 for a center channel and up from there.

Another top choice that is more affordable are the Episode Speaker Bars from Snap-AV.
These sound great and have a price starting at $300.00 for the smaller units up to about $900.00 for the big sound bar for the 55" and larger TVs.

For the life of me I can't figure out why you would use a soundbar with an existing surround system . . . But your point is well taken. I have never heard of or demo'ed these speakers from Leon but they look terrific.
post #53 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For an entry level sound bar I really like the VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 setup. It's a simple design that's extremely easy to setup 5.1 sound in any room in a couple minuets. The sub is wireless and you have the option to install the included rear speakers via rca to the powered sub. The sound bar produces great sound for the under $300 price tag.

The only issue that some may have is the lack of HDMI. This may or may not affect you depending on your TV/Sources.
post #54 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
I'm curious as to what the cons are of not having HDMI on a soundbar? I'll be using mine for gaming the majority of the time and some Netflix. Will the sound not be as good because it's not hooked up via HDMI and instead via optical?

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #55 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post

I'm curious as to what the cons are of not having HDMI on a soundbar? I'll be using mine for gaming the majority of the time and some Netflix. Will the sound not be as good because it's not hooked up via HDMI and instead via optical?

It's just another connectivity option.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #56 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailorrmade View Post

For the life of me I can't figure out why you would use a soundbar with an existing surround system . . . But your point is well taken. I have never heard of or demo'ed these speakers from Leon but they look terrific.

I can explain why I purchased a soundbar even though I have a fairly expensive surround system... for the simple reason that turning on my home theater system is overkill for most television viewing. Why should I fire up a 7-channel amp that can put out over 1000 Watts for watching 60 minutes or Big Bang Theory ? My amp and prepro are not really needed to enjoy most TV shows and would simply be wasteful (energy wise). I figure my sound system is for movies and some sporting events. It does add something for NASCAR.

Sean
post #57 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailorrmade View Post

I can explain why I purchased a soundbar even though I have a fairly expensive surround system... for the simple reason that turning on my home theater system is overkill for most television viewing. Why should I fire up a 7-channel amp that can put out over 1000 Watts for watching 60 minutes or Big Bang Theory ? My amp and prepro are not really needed to enjoy most TV shows and would simply be wasteful (energy wise). I figure my sound system is for movies and some sporting events. It does add something for NASCAR.
To each his own. In my opinion, it makes far less sense to buy a subpar product to perform a job easily handled by equipment you already have. Items like soundbars contribute to the dumbing down of the HT market.

post #58 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Klipsch SB-1 Soundbar by far the best!!!!

It may not be your job, but perhaps it's your opportunity.

MPJ's theater build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #59 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

I have a Zvox 555 and it does a decent job despite being in a large room. I have it hooked up to a separate subwoofer and the bass is fantastic. The two places where the Zvox really shines are:

1) Dialogue. The dialogue comes in crystal clear, so you are not always turning up the volume to hear dialogue during quiet scenes in a movie, then turning it down because the action gets too loud. And this is without the Zvox's "Dialogue Emphasis" mode engaged which makes dialogue even clearer.

2) Looks. The best looking soundbar period. Very much wife-approved; this thing looks elegant and not ugly like most soundbars. I like the look of the Zvox 555 much better than the Zvox 580 as the 580 is just huge, but that might be a preference thing.

Now, I wouldn't say the Zvox is the best soundbar in terms of music (it does sound good, but not great), but for TV and movies, I think it is fantastic.

+1. I have a ZVOX 555 in my son's bedroom, and a ZVOX 320 in my kitchen. They blend in with the stand/furniture better than tradional bars. And I agree, the dialogue enhancement is probably my favorite feature. Works quite well.

I'm glad to know that the 555 plus a sub works well for you. I may force a sub on my son for Christmas (he usually uses headphones, so doesn't care much about a sub). But Daddy cares.
post #60 of 88 Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

To each his own. In my opinion, it makes far less sense to buy a subpar product to perform a job easily handled by equipment you already have. Items like soundbars contribute to the dumbing down of the HT market.

It could also be a step in the right direction if someone simply can't afford a full blown surround system at this moment in their life. Soundbars are apparently making sense to a lot of people for reasons not everyone can relate. The way I look at it is that I am simply replacing the "subpar" speakers in my TV. If I used my HT system for everyday and every ordinary show I watched... watching a movie would become more ordinary as well.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music , Sonos , Speakercraft , Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer , Zvox 580 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs , Pioneer Sp Sb23w Andrew Jones Soundbar System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page