HT of the Month: Ultimate Bass - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw742296 View PostI wish I lived closer. I would love to experience Rob's theater! Wonderful job!!biggrin.gif

Me too,  others have built monsters as well!!

I wished I was so skilled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5117
The kind of things I build would not fit your aesthetic at all but I'd be happy to help you out if you ever decided to try out DIY audio.

Honestly, starting with a subwoofer is a great way to get into it. smile.gif
post #63 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 05:31 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

The kind of things I build would not fit your aesthetic at all but I'd be happy to help you out if you ever decided to try out DIY audio.

Honestly, starting with a subwoofer is a great way to get into it. smile.gif

Yes I am just thinking they could be hidden behind a transparent screen so no ones sees them, but then when the system starts it would surprise quite a few biggrin.gif

Thanks for the offer, I thing I am beyond any help, as I am really not a handy man rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Bass Enabler

That's okay. Thing have really improved lately for those who are apprehensive about building or lack skills/tools. There are many what we call, 'flat packs' available. All you need is some glue and a power drill. smile.gif
post #65 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Holy hell!! Jaw droppingly amazing.

Must just blow your tits off
notnyt likes this.
post #66 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I can appreciate Rob's achievement in terms of fulfilling a goal. But whoa, do we have differing sense of aesthetics.

There's been plenty of praise for Rob to bask in so I'm sure it won't hurt to add a slightly more reserved reaction.

I think when I was 20 or so I would have loved to have been subjected to such a system, but at my age (50), I have come to understand the consequences of loud sound exposure over time (or even too loud for a short time) so I do more of a cringe when I see that much firepower aimed at me. It's one thing to check that type of system out occasionally, but I really wonder about being subjected to it on a continual basis. Has Rob given much thought to his hearing down the road?

I guess I just no longer "get it" like I don't get the car-audio thing of trying to achieve so much bass you drown out the stereo of any other nearby car, and make babies cry. See how lame it is getting old? smile.gif

You're not alone my friend. I just put a very modest rig in my Honda Pilot and it immediately reacquainted me with how quickly (and cheaply) you can hit 130dbs on the meter in the bass dept (in the relatively tiny space that is a vehicle cabin).

And really? pointless. For both the reasons you listed, but even more so for how running bass 10-40 dbs "hot" makes the balance of the music sound. I'd call it "unnatural" in the kindest manner.

Even in my own 15x15 living room I have more than enough firepower to reach above-reference spl's but it just doesn't sound right most of the time- which really isn't much of a surprise I guess.

It's nice that both the internet direct vendors and diy now afford someone the chance to reach prodigious, clean output for a sensible amount of money- ok, maybe "sensible" for those of our ilk, lol.

Still, a tremendous amount of output on tap here and a great build that could prolly serve an area 5 times the size.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #67 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Very nice HT. Great to see an ultra high performance setup based on practical implementation. Just amazing and would be really cool to experience it.
notnyt likes this.
post #68 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View PostI can appreciate Rob's achievement in terms of fulfilling a goal. But whoa, do we have differing sense of aesthetics.

There's been plenty of praise for Rob to bask in so I'm sure it won't hurt to add a slightly more reserved reaction.

I think when I was 20 or so I would have loved to have been subjected to such a system, but at my age (50), I have come to understand the consequences of loud sound exposure over time (or even too loud for a short time) so I do more of a cringe when I see that much firepower aimed at me. It's one thing to check that type of system out occasionally, but I really wonder about being subjected to it on a continual basis. Has Rob given much thought to his hearing down the road?

I guess I just no longer "get it" like I don't get the car-audio thing of trying to achieve so much bass you drown out the stereo of any other nearby car, and make babies cry. See how lame it is getting old? smile.gif

The point here is to have a system that can recreate this

mh-47_002.jpg
post #69 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2309

That is a lot of BASS!!!!! I know those JBL's are serious and those DIY subs look like they could scare the Pods from the WotW Pod emergence scene BACK down underground!!!! Have you ever given any thought to building an acoustically transparent false wall so you can go with a larger screen, if so desired? This is an outstanding space! 

notnyt likes this.
post #70 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View PostThat's okay. Thing have really improved lately for those who are apprehensive about building or lack skills/tools. There are many what we call, 'flat packs' available. All you need is some glue and a power drill. smile.gif

Oh that sound enticing :) Where should I start looking, Parts Express?

notnyt likes this.
post #71 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 330 Post(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

That is a lot of BASS!!!!! I know those JBL's are serious and those DIY subs look like they could scare the Pods from the WotW Pod emergence scene BACK down underground!!!! Have you ever given any thought to building an acoustically transparent false wall so you can go with a larger screen, if so desired? This is an outstanding space! 

The pictures really make the screen look small... that wall is 25 feet long. It's a 10' screen. Bringing it any lower and my feet would be in view when I'm reclining wink.gif

I've considered going bigger, but it's at about the perfect distance to size ratio at the moment.
post #72 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View PostThat is a lot of BASS!!!!! I know those JBL's are serious and those DIY subs look like they could scare the Pods from the WotW Pod emergence scene BACK down underground!!!! Have you ever given any thought to building an acoustically transparent false wall so you can go with a larger screen, if so desired? This is an outstanding space! 

Great idea, and guests would never know what hits them :D

post #73 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Furthermore, his concrete-slab foundation made it difficult to sense infrasonic sound waves, even at tremendous volume levels.

Why is that?

post #74 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Oh that sound enticing smile.gif Where should I start looking, Parts Express?

Yup or www.diysoundgroup.com
post #75 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I would have never thought a 115 in screen would look small in a room. The speakers look like stacks at a concert. I hope Rob protects his hearing and does not crank that monster to 11.

post #76 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Why is that?

The effect of low frequency content, around 10hz and under is not very noticeable with a slab. It flexes your walls alright, but that's about it. On a wood floor, you'll feel the movement. With the transducers, you get to feel it again.
post #77 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22

WOW! :D

notnyt and willymo like this.

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
post #78 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
post #79 of 281 Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Brilliant! cool.gif
notnyt likes this.

David Budo
post #80 of 281 Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Called it!

biggrin.gif

Congrats Rob!
Impressed?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #81 of 281 Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I can appreciate Rob's achievement in terms of fulfilling a goal. But whoa, do we have differing sense of aesthetics.

Actually turning 44 this year and I agree with you as well..No doubt an awesome setup,but I'm sure this could probably fill a true commercial theater with an engaging experience. Like you,my hearing is just way too valuable too me for me too appreciate a setup like this. And as large as that screen is, just looks way too out of place for the setup. But don't get me wrong, very impressive.And yes, would love to get about maybe a 5 minute demo.

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #82 of 281 Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 268
To the OP @imagic,
Do you notice any sound changes when an object pans across the screen? I wonder how the sound changes from 4722 to 3677 to 4722.
How's the voice / dialogue sound from the 3677 ?

The review mentioned much about bass, but not much about mid-range or highs. confused.gif
post #83 of 281 Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Blessedly free of audiophile hoo-hah, which is nice.

But I wonder about the reflections from the table between speakers and listening seat... or does that get moved out of the way for serious listening?

Also, in addition to the the room treatment, is he using any digital correction?
post #84 of 281 Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 638 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3970 Post(s)
Liked: 3760
notnyt probably has the most oft envied theater on all of avsforum ---- and this accolade for years upon years - regardless of sealed or ported alignment on those eight sexy LMS 5400 drivers. Nice to see it recognized in HT of the month, and good to see you back notnyt. Notnyt's been very helpful over the years in answering audio questions and steering people with solid advice both publicly and through PM.

--- hats off to you man!

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #85 of 281 Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

notnyt probably has the most oft envied theater on all of avsforum ---- and this accolade for years upon years - regardless of sealed or ported alignment on those eight sexy LMS 5400 drivers. Nice to see it recognized in HT of the month, and good to see you back notnyt. Notnyt's been very helpful over the years in answering audio questions and steering people with solid advice both publicly and through PM.

--- hats off to you man!

Thanks for the kind words yet again. I try to help when I can wink.gif
post #86 of 281 Old 04-05-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post

Countertop for the screen...I'm intrigued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I would like to learn more about this DIY screen that he did...
Well, technically countertop material...and then hung on a wall
This is a 5' x 12' sheet of HomeDepot special ordered DW laminate.

I remember reading so many DIY screen methods upon starting my HT journey nack in mid-2007, this thread helped me in 2008.
https://www.avsforum.com/t/708240/laminate-screen-material-and-testing
A guy with initials MM hangs out almost exclusively there and helps people.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

The point here is to have a system that can recreate this

Where I live US23/M59 area about 3-4 times a week the U of M emergency helicopter flies nearly directly overhead, literally I've got that one pegged as I can hear it's approach sound, run outside and always marvel at it's flight thru the skies - and it's awesome real LFE. Just a few times it's flown over at wee hours 2-3 am directly over my 2nd floor bedroom and truly can feel it shake the house then.
I think it's LFE is not as low as those twin blade army helicopters, thought I've never had my gear out to record it's sound flying overhead to verify the freq.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/powerful-new-breed-of-u-m-survival-flight-helicopters-take-to-the-skies/
Quote:
Thu, Aug 16, 2012 I do have to say that the new choppers are substantially more noisy (powerful low-frequency sound) than the old ones and appear to be flying lower, too. If it's necessary for the safety of the patient, then that's fine. If it's reasonable for them to move to a higher altitude as they come out of Chelsea, then it would be appreciated by those on the ground.

notnyt - you should post link to the digital bass files you use to "show off" here, or your favorite demo disk/etc.

Possible upload a few digital snippets to share, what's the upload limit here 10MB?
post #87 of 281 Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

notnyt - you should post link to the digital bass files you use to "show off" here, or your favorite demo disk/etc.

Possible upload a few digital snippets to share, what's the upload limit here 10MB?

I generally use the gas station scene from terminator salvation and the pod emergence scene from war of the worlds as demo material. Other than that, just random bass heavy songs.
willymo likes this.
post #88 of 281 Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Also here's the screen from the back. French cleats on top velcro on the bottom.

W71MVnN.jpg
post #89 of 281 Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Way cool! eek.gifcool.gif

post #90 of 281 Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
Great system. I've watched this evolve over time in the DIY section and it's further evidence that home systems can easily better commercial if you're willing to put the work in. I wish I lived in the US because I'd definitely want to travel to experience not's system if I did.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Behringer Nu1000dsp Inuke Power Amplifier , Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400 , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page