Are Class-D Amps Ready For Prime Time? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are Class-D Amps Ready For Prime Time?
Yes 285 73.26%
No 34 8.74%
Don't know 70 17.99%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #181 of 210 Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I am an Anthem fan overall but I am not sure this class D offering is/was very well received as the reviews are not flattering:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...C9MUZkkiKKb.97
Seems the review was not bad though for the second set of amps. I really wonder, WHAT was up with the first set? I don't know that I buy break-in like that as an excuse. :roll eyes: Perhaps the reviewer should have tried $500.00 power cord upgrades first......

I'm surprised though that there were 4 stars given for value, while only 3.5 for performance. At that price point for a single-channel amp, I'd need a better performance rating to give it that much for value!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 210 Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The big advantages of most CLASS D amps:

1. Lighter weight
2. Smaller profile.
2. Cool running
3. Energy efficient
4. Very dynamic.

For a new review see: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ier_Review.htm
or
http://*******.com/ju5ge8p
post #183 of 210 Old 03-07-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
The big advantages of most CLASS D amps:

1. Lighter weight
2. Smaller profile.
2. Cool running
3. Energy efficient
4. Very dynamic.

For a new review see: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ier_Review.htm
or
http://*******.com/ju5ge8p
I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to go with a D-Sonic in the very near future. Class D makes sense for my circumstances.

Your second link there doesn't seem to go anywhere though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 210 Old 03-08-2016, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Anyone surprised Denon / Yamaha hasn't jumped to the Class D amplification on their upper tier receivers?

I can only assume it would raise the cost but Pioneer pulled it off, would be nice to see them follow.
post #185 of 210 Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Just a few years ago my HT was comprised entirely of class H and A/B amps. I just noticed as I've upgraded, all the new amps I've purchased have been class D. At the moment I'm down to a single class H!
post #186 of 210 Old 05-08-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After getting my system up and running just last night with my new D-Sonic amp, I can only say that one is doing themselves injustice by not giving Class D a chance. Just the overall size, weight, and how cool the thing ran, not to mention the sound. Just thrilled.

I very much doubt I'd ever consider a Class A/B amp. Never say never though, maybe a Class H at some point, but given how nice this one is, not sure why I'd look anywhere else - nota Golden Ear by the way, just to qualify the statements.
post #187 of 210 Old 05-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Agreed, been using Class-D's for over 1 year in commercial environments, they work great, zero issues so far
post #188 of 210 Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone done any ABX testing with a high end Class D like D-Sonic M3-1500M vs a highly regarded AB like Parasound JC1 for music and HT applications ??
post #189 of 210 Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 40
With the introduction of those small amps with TDA7492, TDA7498, T-Amp, class-D is at the point that they can compete against class-AB. I have a Dayton Audio DTA-120 (class Tripath) and iIt sounds excellent for being a little amplifier. It is noisy in the upper frequencies, but not too much. I do believe that a power amplifier does not change the audio. It is the source and where the audio ends has the most impact what the audio sounds like. I have a class-H amplifier in the Technics SA-AX7, but I can not tell the difference between DTA-120 and the Technics SA-AX7.

IMHO, class-H and class-G amplifiers should not be in any amplifier class because they do not touch the audio for amplification. Both of these classes uses class-AB and their rail voltage is either adjusted or switched to different rail voltages.
post #190 of 210 Old 10-27-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Another convert here!

I have a multi channel system HT/stereo and was searching for monoblock amplifiers to replace my stereo Mark Levinson 335 amplifier. I played it against the D'Agostino Momentum monoblocks which I had on loan for three days. I then swapped out the Momentum monoblocks for a pair of Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks for another three days. The Theta had the same tight slam in the low end as the D' Agostino amps. The midrange was the major difference between the two as the Momentum was more "tube like" in that region. Soundstage width was similar as was depth of the recordings when evident. The Theta is smooth and accurate in the mids, just didn't have the "tube bloom" that is designed into the 50K D' Agostino monoblocks. Both amps have great high end detail with the nod going to the Theta because it is so quiet. If I was super rich I would have the D' Agostino amps which are essentially class A in my system. The issue is the Momentum amps run extremely warm and would create a heat problem in most rooms. My room is 20'x15' and I felt it. I now have Class D amplifiers in my system. They are way ahead of the game. I suggest others audition the class D amps and hear for yourself.
post #191 of 210 Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post
Class D when done correctly as in Hypex Ncore is in many way superior to anything else. This is not just in terms of efficiency. I know a few mastering studios that where built by Northwood Acoustics that ended up going with the Hypex solutions for the simple reason nothing else sounded more neutral or better. I assure you no one has rooms even close to the quality of these guys, or experience.

I am also going with the Hypex for my next solution after I tested them out against many big time multi thousand dollar Class A, AB designs.

Classic Jaguar might be faster than a Honda but not seem as pretty, but a modern Porsche Hybrid simply trounces the performance.
For all you know, Hypex gave the amplifiers to the recording studio, so they could say "our amps are used in blah blah blah recording studio" .
LOL, Yamaha NS 10's are used in many recording studios, trust me, you would not want a pair in your home.
post #192 of 210 Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
For all you know, Hypex gave the amplifiers to the recording studio, so they could say "our amps are used in blah blah blah recording studio" .
LOL, Yamaha NS 10's are used in many recording studios, trust me, you would not want a pair in your home.
Actually the studio had the option to have other so called big name brand amplifiers given to them but they chose to purchase the Hypex instead.
No surprise JBL uses Class D in their M2 Reference monitors either.
Sadly many manufacturers are not placing the best examples of Class D in their products.
post #193 of 210 Old 12-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Actually the studio had the option to have other so called big name brand amplifiers given to them but they chose to purchase the Hypex instead.
No surprise JBL uses Class D in their M2 Reference monitors either.
Sadly many manufacturers are not placing the best examples of Class D in their products.
No surprise to me either, since the Class D amps used in the JBL M2 are from Crown.
And, take a guess who owns JBL and Crown ?

JBL and Crown are both owned by Harman International, so it is no surprise the JBL M2 reference monitors use Crown Class D Amps.

On my Dunlavy SC IV's, I compared a Pioneer D3 digital amp with an Onkyo TX NR 809, and guess what ? The Onkyo sounded better.

I just got another Pioneer D3 amp, and I want to hear it on my Klipsch La Scalla's for myself.
We shall see, as it is said
post #194 of 210 Old 12-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
No surprise to me either, since the Class D amps used in the JBL M2 are from Crown.
And, take a guess who owns JBL and Crown ?

JBL and Crown are both owned by Harman International, so it is no surprise the JBL M2 reference monitors use Crown Class D Amps.

On my Dunlavy SC IV's, I compared a Pioneer D3 digital amp with an Onkyo TX NR 809, and guess what ? The Onkyo sounded better.

I just got another Pioneer D3 amp, and I want to hear it on my Klipsch La Scalla's for myself.
We shall see, as it is said

And Mark Levinson is also owned by Harman Int also. It is an option for home use and many say it sounds not as good.

From my reading of the Pioneer the specs where not ideal. When I chose my receiver that was a factor and why I went with Marantz again. That does not mean anything though as I still will use Hypex in my studio. At least the Ncores.

Seriously considering building my own M2 clones and using Hypex to drive them.
post #195 of 210 Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
And Mark Levinson is also owned by Harman Int also. It is an option for home use and many say it sounds not as good.

From my reading of the Pioneer the specs where not ideal. When I chose my receiver that was a factor and why I went with Marantz again. That does not mean anything though as I still will use Hypex in my studio. At least the Ncores.

Seriously considering building my own M2 clones and using Hypex to drive them.
Yes, so thank GAWD for pre amp outputs
A friend has a QSC PLX series amp. I also have a pair of Class H QSC PLX 1802 amps, but my friends QSC are Class H !!
He swears by them.
post #196 of 210 Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
For me Benchmark AHB2 BEST, Hypex Ncore based amps Second best (but better price per channel). To say these are now "prime time" is an understatement (posting in 2019 long after these came out).

Blazar!

Last edited by blazar; 02-10-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #197 of 210 Old 02-09-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
For be Benchmark AHB2 BEST, Hypex Ncore based amps Second best (but better price per channel). To say these are now "prime time" is an understatement (posting in 2019 long after these came out).

Yeah, this particular thread doesn't seem to get much action, but I'm very pleased with the performance of my class D amps. I don't even know what is in my Class D Audio amp, but my D-Sonic runs Pascal modules. Nothing to complain about, that's for sure! There are still folks that prefer Class A/B, fair enough. But to poo-poo class D at this point is sorely misguided.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #198 of 210 Old 02-09-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I don't even know what is in my Class D Audio amp
IRS2092 based. A good implementation of one I'd say.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #199 of 210 Old 02-09-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
IRS2092 based. A good implementation of one I'd say.

Cool! Always nice to know! Not sure why I never actually bothered to discover more detail about it. I do very much like the amp FWIW!

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #200 of 210 Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I typically only use Class D for subwoofer duty, but love them for that function. Otherwise, a nice solid state and tube hybrid is my favorite (as my username suggests).
post #201 of 210 Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridamplifier View Post
I typically only use Class D for subwoofer duty, but love them for that function. Otherwise, a nice solid state and tube hybrid is my favorite (as my username suggests).

I did very much like the hybrid McIntosh MA252 when I listened to it driving a pair of Totem Acoustic Tribe Towers. Neat looker too.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #202 of 210 Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I did very much like the hybrid McIntosh MA252 when I listened to it driving a pair of Totem Acoustic Tribe Towers. Neat looker too.
That happens to be my favorite brand also so I am a little jealous of your previous setup; currently using one of their slimline solid state models though that I am happy with at the moment since my Cornwalls don’t need a lot of power.
post #203 of 210 Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridamplifier View Post
That happens to be my favorite brand also so I am a little jealous of your previous setup; currently using one of their slimline solid state models though that I am happy with at the moment since my Cornwalls don’t need a lot of power.

Not my setup though, this was at a dealer. Sweet rig, made me want to replicate it! Alas, no money or space....and now the dealer is gone.....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #204 of 210 Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
This may be bit late. but in addition to my prior comments, Here it is finally . A class D amp that uses a toroidal. and Yes the toroidal is big enough because it is
probably also a hybrid, meaning the power supply is only partial SMPS. This is how you make Class D more reliable. Give it the power supply we are all use to and know and love. The below comment came up in a private message when I was discussing this with another member.
Forum member NYNOT, thinks toroidal amplifiers are dinosaurs. I always argued they are not, and that class D tended to married to smps because of the weight concerns Class D brought with it on introduction. Here is where a reliable Class D amplifier, can be given a more reliable power supply.

https://www.indiamart.com/zypher-pow...wer-amplifiers

Exactly , Zepher uses XXXX XXX toroidal. I always argued this like crazy in AVS threads, even in the "is class D ready for primetime thread. Deaf ears, that you can use a toroidal for class D. Everyone thinks you have to have SMPS , because they don't understand amplifiers. Was just looking at that amp yesterday. Note I also seen another amp like it, where
someone said............ Cant put out that much power the toroidal is not big enough!!!!. Again They do not understand. Bottom dollar, the zepher is a hybrid like the crown xli in the power supply. She will first convert incoming line frequency, to say 1000 hz. instead of way up at 100000 like a full blown smps. Now you can use smaller toroidal for way more power per pound as transformer at the higher frequency can do way more power.

https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=459.60
A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are least under rated if at all.
post #205 of 210 Old 02-28-2019, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post
Back to NC400. -108dB 3rd harmonic, any higher-other harmonic is bellow -120dB. This is at 200W, figures get even better with less power, with all the distortion falling deep into the (extremely tiny, again) noise floor in a few to tens watts territory (so is unmeasurable at low powers). There is no chance such distortion is audible, even at higher orders - it is below the absolute threshold of audibility even if masking is not considered. If you wish you can try to find better class-A only on those high-order harmonics figures. Good luck with that as it is again - not impossible but quite uneasy task. Very few are even close to that figures, not to tell at the same power...

And... if pleasant 2nd order warmth is desired an artist is free to add as much of it as needed into the recording - it will be preserved.
Actually it's 2X500/2ohms, 2X300/4ohms, and 2X170/8ohms
post #206 of 210 Old 03-24-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there much progress of class D amps in the last 10 years?

I purchased a multi-channel amp about then and was just wondering if there are any tangible improvements since then.
post #207 of 210 Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyplace View Post
Is there much progress of class D amps in the last 10 years?

I purchased a multi-channel amp about then and was just wondering if there are any tangible improvements since then.

I'd say so. Are you thinking about replacing what you have with a class D amp?

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #208 of 210 Old 03-25-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I'd say so. Are you thinking about replacing what you have with a class D amp?
Actually it was a Wyred4sound MC multichannel amp (500w x 3/250w x 2) setup back in 2008. It was using Ice Cube 200sx modules.

I'm powering my fairly inefficient Salk Sounds Ht3 (85db/w). For HT duties it seems fine but I'd like a bit more added tight controlled bass, wider sound stage for 2 channel listening. Perhaps I can keep the multichannel amp and go with a beefy 2-channel amp for stereo.

Anyone have any good recommendations to try out today?
post #209 of 210 Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Actually it was a Wyred4sound MC multichannel amp (500w x 3/250w x 2) setup back in 2008. It was using Ice Cube 200sx modules.

I'm powering my fairly inefficient Salk Sounds Ht3 (85db/w). For HT duties it seems fine but I'd like a bit more added tight controlled bass, wider sound stage for 2 channel listening. Perhaps I can keep the multichannel amp and go with a beefy 2-channel amp for stereo.

I have been using Crown XLS 2502 to power my Triton Reference Speakers and a pair of Infinity Classias speakers and I must say that they sound amazing. I was going to sell the Infinity speakers before I paired them with those Crown Amps, however, after doing so it was like I had never really heard them before at all.
post #210 of 210 Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://www.d-sonic.com/amplifiers/stereo/

These are using Pascal modules.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page