Are Class-D Amps Ready For Prime Time? - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are Class-D Amps Ready For Prime Time?
Yes 289 73.35%
No 34 8.63%
Don't know 71 18.02%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #211 of 211 Old 02-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post
This may be bit late. but in addition to my prior comments, Here it is finally . A class D amp that uses a toroidal.
The ATI NCore based amps use their own toroids too! I think they have their own tweaks in the input stages, but you can see the guts here:

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...ews/ati-at4002

That said, I've used class-D amp(s) for awhile now, the first being a PS Audio HCA-2. I thought it sounded fantastic... It was one of the first "nice" amps I ever purchased, and I did so based purely on couple reviews and ratings from the likes of Stereophile. IIRC, it was one of the first A-rated class-D amps? maybe not the first.. This was ~ 18 years ago.

Somewhere along the way, I updated my HT system with Magnepans and a pair of Emotiva monoblocks. ( I had been using an ATI 1506 with the HCA handling the L/R channels) The PS Audio amp found refuge in my office driving a pair of Alesis monitors on a 24/7 basis. It remained barely warm to the touch after years of continuous operation... something I doubt it was designed to do and is the likely cause behind a high-pitched warble noise it developed in the left channel. It was intermittent and something that the factory was unable to fix (or detect, for that matter!) Today, that amp sits lifeless on a shelf as I replaced my office monitors w/ a pair of JBL 708Ps, fantastic active drivers that no doubt employ some form of class-D amplification... based on a couple ICE power, hypex or Crown-derivatives, I don't know.

A couple weeks ago, I figured I'd take the plunge & see how the NCore modules sound. So I got one of the smaller, stereo modules & ordered a case to throw it into. I'm still awaiting delivery of the case, but here's the NC252MC module:

I figured that once I start going down the route of needing more channels for Atmos, I'd use these for all the extra channels. Maybe I'd want to use them for everything, depending. I've also read some amazing things about that Benchmark ABH2, so... maybe that'd be a better option for my L/R channels.

Magnepan 1.7s, Magnepan CC5, 2x JL F113 subs
2x Emotiva XPA-1 (L/R), XPA-5 (center, surrounds)
Emotiva XMC-1, Oppo UDP-205 & JVC RS540U + Stewart Cima 2.35:1 133"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page