HT of the Month: Le Petit Trianon - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #31 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Awesome theater!! Congrats on HTOTM as you clearly deserve it. Love all your gear. Have heard great things about Quested systems would love to give them a listen sometime.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 2578
Great selection for HT of the Month! Congrats Jeff on pulling together such an extensive upgrade.

Demoing the system was a literal blast with 12 15" woofers playing nicely together with 12,000W on tap. The surround field even with the Auro 3D extraction was quite something and I can only imagine what it will be like with purposely recorded/encoded material.

The first update to this theater I helped with in 2003 and Jeff's AVS meets following were the inspiration for many well known home theaters on AVS such as @Art Sonneborn 's Sun Cinema and many of our members from Michigan and the surrounding states. It was great to be part of another update to push this room ahead of the curve once again.

I look forward to when ever other AVS members get a chance to experience the result!

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #33 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Absolutely amazing, thanks for sharing Jeff!

Can just imagine the "real" sound when soundtracks are mixed natively for Atmos.

One clip that I really like for surround is the "Fight Club" crash scene. It is mixed 5.1 but would be a good test on how it is processed for 14 channels.
If you have a chance Jeff could you let us know if there is any noticeable sound improvements played with 14 channels -- Wish I could be there to hear it.
Very well done, congrats on the upgrades!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Sweet looking room, congrats.

Dan
post #35 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
Absolutely amazing, thanks for sharing Jeff!

Can just imagine the "real" sound when soundtracks are mixed natively for Atmos.

One clip that I really like for surround is the "Fight Club" crash scene. It is mixed 5.1 but would be a good test on how it is processed for 14 channels.
If you have a chance Jeff could you let us know if there is any noticeable sound improvements played with 14 channels -- Wish I could be there to hear it.
Very well done, congrats on the upgrades!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Awesome theater!! Congrats on HTOTM as you clearly deserve it. Love all your gear. Have heard great things about Quested systems would love to give them a listen sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Sweet looking room, congrats.

Dan
Thanks all.

Yes, AURO 3D upmixing (to 13.1) for the typical 5.1 track far surpasses 7.1 upmixing. The DATASAT allows you to change the amount of aggressiveness giving you a scale of 1-15. It also allows Auro to compensate for room size as their is 'small, medium, and large room' choices. At 15/15, it's too airy and the rear soundstage dominates. I keep at 6/15.
superleo likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #36 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Wow, I can only imagine the bass response in your theater. I think I just heard it in Texas! Awesome setup.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #37 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Congrats on getting ht of the month. I'd love to watch a movie there some day

post #38 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Simply amazing!
post #39 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 206
And I thought my 'Duck and Cover' HTotM was a great accomplishment...BUT, I think I need to hide under the covers, close my eyes, and plug my ears What a truly awesome, haunting, exhilerating, enthralling, thrilling theater that is....I'm very stoked for you!
post #40 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Nice, very nice.

Jeff has always had an HT worth envying. Ever since I started posting here over ten years ago. And now it's updated! Ah crap!

Great work, Jeff. It's an awesome room with sweet gear. Enjoy.
post #41 of 164 Old 09-08-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
And I thought my 'Duck and Cover' HTotM was a great accomplishment...BUT, I think I need to hide under the covers, close my eyes, and plug my ears What a truly awesome, haunting, exhilerating, enthralling, thrilling theater that is....I'm very stoked for you!
Actually, your theater IS a great accomplishment! As you can see if you look at past HToMs, some are extravagant, while others demostrate how much one can do with more limited resources. I'm dedicated to featuring both approaches in HToM, so I encourage other members to send me info on your dedicated home theater even if it's not a megabucks build. Creativity and ingenuity count for a lot around here!
KBMAN likes this.

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 09-09-2014 at 08:36 AM.
post #42 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Nice, very nice.

Jeff has always had an HT worth envying. Ever since I started posting here over ten years ago. And now it's updated! Ah crap!

Great work, Jeff. It's an awesome room with sweet gear. Enjoy.
Thanks, Scott. Much appreciated! Things have come full circle in my room. Time to enjoy and leave upgrades behind!

KBMAN<

I agree with Scott. Your theater is awesome - don't think otherwise!! Considering all the constraints in your build out, I think yours turned out impressively good! The before and after shots are pretty impressive. I'm sure you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Thanks for the complements!
KBMAN likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #43 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Congratulations and what a room! Well done and well deserved. Would love to come hear it some day.
post #44 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Jeff,
Keep bringing it on... as you have since the Sony Qualia days...
Your fantastic theater is even more fantastic now...
Question: please tell me how many speakers and subs you have to ensure that you have Atmos compliant theater.
Also thier placement.
Thanks.
Ash
post #45 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Jeff,
Keep bringing it on... as you have since the Sony Qualia days...
Your fantastic theater is even more fantastic now...
Question: please tell me how many speakers and subs you have to ensure that you have Atmos compliant theater.
Also thier placement.
Thanks.
Ash
Hey Ash,

Thanks so much!!

I have the typical bed of 7 speakers (subs are 4 up front and 2 in rear).
Then I have Front Heights that are forward of the baffle wall and aiming at Main Listening Position (MLP), Side Heights that are in line with second row aiming at MLP, and Rear Heights that are directly above the rear surrounds aiming at MLP. All 6 height speakers are at a 30 -45 degree angle down to MLP per Dolby spec. Moreover, all 6 Heights are in relative imaginary line from the main front L and R speakers to the L and R Back Speakers - which is also part of the Dolby spec.

I'm not sure 'ideal' is known at this point but this was just checked using the just released Atmos white papers.

Fortunately, I can move the heights around the ceiling if need be as more is known but for now, I feel pretty good about the positioning.

I have AURO 3D that plays through all 13.6 speakers and boy does it beat upmixing to 7.1... by a lot! This is a great time for audio tracks!

Hope all is well!!

post #46 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Congratulations and what a room! Well done and well deserved. Would love to come hear it some day.
Thanks! Anytime.. I'm going to have a meet at my house sometime in the next month or two!
guywlewis likes this.

post #47 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Thanks! Anytime.. I'm going to have a meet at my house sometime in the next month or two!

Great to hear, hope it's after football for me.

Congrats on the great work ! I didn't look at this till now I had forgotten about your theater name. As usual you're inspiring for the rest of us. Hope a meet will help rekindle some of the HT excitement we had in the old days.

Art
Mark Seaton and thebland like this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 09-09-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #48 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks, Scott. Much appreciated! Things have come full circle in my room. Time to enjoy and leave upgrades behind!

KBMAN<

I agree with Scott. Your theater is awesome - don't think otherwise!! Considering all the constraints in your build out, I think yours turned out impressively good! The before and after shots are pretty impressive. I'm sure you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Thanks for the complements!
Yeah, I believe both you and Scott are right! I turned a rat trap into something pretty special....and because of the room size/height, the sound (and bass w/ buttkickers) and the picture is pretty impressive. better than any theater cineplex I've gone to, except for maybe 1 or 2 IMAX theaters......I'm glad that you set things up, and planned for ATMOS; you will be the guinee pig for sure, and a valueble source of information on this
post #49 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Jeff,
I am doing well... thanks for asking.
I am Considering a Atmos upgrade one of these days but I am concerned about the aesthetics of my room so I will have to give this some serious thought.
Enjoy your theater.
Ash
post #50 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Jeff, Amazing build as everyone says! I am going to have to nudge my dentist (Different avenues of the dental field I know) to your thread.

I would love to hear those speakers some day for sure!

Question. I know a lot of testing has been done and you have had some brilliant HT minds here with Mark and Dennis. When I met Mark at Kris Deering's in Seattle he was certainly passionate about the meet and sound in general. You leave a conversation with Mark thinking to yourself, "Man, that guy is smart!" Anyway have any ETC graphs or other software for measuring reflections been done? It just seems by your pic that you would be getting some 1st point reflections from your MASSIVE front height speakers.

I am sure demoes in that room are grin inducing
post #51 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Great to hear, hope it's after football for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4satc_kgnm4

Congrats on the great work ! I didn't look at this till now I had forgotten about your theater name. As usual you're inspiring for the rest of us. Hope a meet will help rekindle some of the HT excitement we had in the old days.

Art
Hi Art

It'll likely be post football. I've still got a few small things going on in the theater - including cable management and I finally converted to iRule - that's still a work in progress though Itai has been great!

I'll make sure when I schedule my meet, you're available. Would really like to see you and Angela.

Your boy looks like one ass kicker! Seems like a nice kid, too. That video is great! You've gotta be very proud. Thanks for posting that.

All the best.

post #52 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Jeff,
I am doing well... thanks for asking.
I am Considering a Atmos upgrade one of these days but I am concerned about the aesthetics of my room so I will have to give this some serious thought.
Enjoy your theater.
Ash
Yes. Atmos seems to be count intuitive to room esthetics. I worried about that as well.

But in fact, at the lighting level I leave my room at for pre-movie, take your seats time, the speakers really blend into the ceiling. In fact the firs time my wife went into the room after the heights were installed, she didn't even notice them.

Granted, to me, there are compromises in esthetics, I just went with it as I know once these multi channel sound tracks roll out, I'll want to experience them. Your room is beautiful. I'm sure you're quite concerned. That said, if you add, I'm sure they'll be discrete in terms of esthetics.

Now, in listening to AURO 3D, the 13.x channel configuration. Does pay out in terms of audio pleasure.

post #53 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Jeff, Amazing build as everyone says! I am going to have to nudge my dentist (Different avenues of the dental field I know) to your thread.

I would love to hear those speakers some day for sure!

Question. I know a lot of testing has been done and you have had some brilliant HT minds here with Mark and Dennis. When I met Mark at Kris Deering's in Seattle he was certainly passionate about the meet and sound in general. You leave a conversation with Mark thinking to yourself, "Man, that guy is smart!" Anyway have any ETC graphs or other software for measuring reflections been done? It just seems by your pic that you would be getting some 1st point reflections from your MASSIVE front height speakers.

I am sure demoes in that room are grin inducing
If you're interested, I have screen grabs of BEFORE and AFTER impulse responses while applying DIRAC.

The side walls, scoffers and ceilings have diffusive material all about. The first wall reflections are certainly there but not dominant. The L and R speakers are toe'd in as well, limiting the side wall reflections to the MLP. Moreover, the columns help to break this up as well.

post #54 of 164 Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
If you're interested, I have screen grabs of BEFORE and AFTER impulse responses while applying DIRAC.

The side walls, scoffers and ceilings have diffusive material all about. The first wall reflections are certainly there but not dominant. The L and R speakers are toe'd in as well, limiting the side wall reflections to the MLP. Moreover, the columns help to break this up as well.
Always love me some graphs! Nerd time!
post #55 of 164 Old 09-10-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yes. Atmos seems to be count intuitive to room esthetics. I worried about that as well.

But in fact, at the lighting level I leave my room at for pre-movie, take your seats time, the speakers really blend into the ceiling. In fact the firs time my wife went into the room after the heights were installed, she didn't even notice them.

Granted, to me, there are compromises in esthetics, I just went with it as I know once these multi channel sound tracks roll out, I'll want to experience them. Your room is beautiful. I'm sure you're quite concerned. That said, if you add, I'm sure they'll be discrete in terms of esthetics.

Now, in listening to AURO 3D, the 13.x channel configuration. Does pay out in terms of audio pleasure.
Jeff,
My Cinema has LCR behind the transparent stewart screen so there is scope to install two height channels above the LR's which cannot be seen (behind the screen).
The side rear four columns and the rear two have speakers already (6 Total).
I am thinking about removing 4 panels of my ceiling and installing 4 OBJECT speakers and covering the speakers with something decorative such as gold panels (acoustically transparent) - see picture. With a good calibrator we can move the position of the objects around.. (using delay level etc).
This would be the most unobtrusive way to get into ATMOS - but unlike you, I have no scope to move them so I will wait for the standard to settle down before I move forward with the install.
Anyway, you keep leading and we will follow :-)
Ash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATMOS Glitter REV A Small.jpeg
Views:	452
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	255842  
oneeyeblind and Jack_Frostini like this.
post #56 of 164 Old 09-10-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Jeff,
My Cinema has LCR behind the transparent stewart screen so there is scope to install two height channels above the LR's which cannot be seen (behind the screen).
The side rear four columns and the rear two have speakers already (6 Total).
I am thinking about removing 4 panels of my ceiling and installing 4 OBJECT speakers and covering the speakers with something decorative such as gold panels (acoustically transparent) - see picture. With a good calibrator we can move the position of the objects around.. (using delay level etc).
This would be the most unobtrusive way to get into ATMOS - but unlike you, I have no scope to move them so I will wait for the standard to settle down before I move forward with the install.
Anyway, you keep leading and we will follow :-)
Ash
Exactly right. You can do it but will need to plan out. And I agree that once the standard is known and some real world advice on placement can be had, that would be a good time to move on it.

Your theater is gorgeous. It has been a while since I've seen a photo.

Thanks!
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #57 of 164 Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks Jeff...
post #58 of 164 Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Always love me some graphs! Nerd time!

Here are some screen shots post-DIRAC room correction.

FRONT SUBWOOFER

REAR SUBWOOFERS

CENTER

RIGHT FRONT

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHANNEL_SW1.jpg
Views:	2635
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	255874   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHANNEL_Ctr.jpg
Views:	2615
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	255882   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHANNEL_Rf.jpg
Views:	2618
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	255890   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHANNEL_SW2.jpg
Views:	2657
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	255898  

Last edited by thebland; 09-10-2014 at 05:52 AM.
post #59 of 164 Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
post #60 of 164 Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
We ran some quick and dirties for meetings. That 30 degree rule kinda is a pita. Did not have time to model lt-28's. So used lt-20's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lt-20 test.PNG
Views:	334
Size:	952.7 KB
ID:	257138   Click image for larger version

Name:	30.PNG
Views:	324
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	257146  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement