Are You More of an Audio Objectivist or Subjectivist? - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are You More of an Audio Objectivist or Subjectivist?
Objectivist 121 55.00%
Subjectivist 99 45.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #241 of 264 Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
If only everyone was just like you Jeff... ...The world would be a better place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 10-22-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
If only everyone was just like you Jeff... ...The world would be a better place.
There was a Twilight Zone episode, where the guy wished everyone were like him, and the next day they were, and, of course, it didn't work out so well.

Season 2 Episode 27 - Mind and the Matter

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #243 of 264 Old 10-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I saw that episode a very long time ago (I was a big fan), and that's exactly why I said what I said.

...Not.

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-24-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 264 Old 10-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I voted objectivist. For me, the first standard I used is the "reference" standard. I use this for setting up anything HT related and then use subjectivity for tweaks to that due to the fact I'm not working in a reference environment in the first place. To me a "perfect", HT experience is one which is not only close to perfect for me(subjectivity), but one that is as close to "perfect" as possible for wide gamut of viewers(objectivity). If you go to some of the best movie theaters, they are designed with objectivity based on reference standards because they have to present to a large number of people with different subjective views. With HT, subjectivity also needs to be considered because the audience is a generally known quantity. However, I don't think objectivity should be abandoned entirely either. The reason for that is so that I can provide that "wow" factor of giving guests the theater experience.

To sum it up, I want my system look and sounds great to me(subjective) and for all my friends and family to want to watch(video)/listen(audio)/and play(gamer here) at my place. This way is get a 9+ out of 10 experience for myself and they get an experience they want to return to. For that reason, I'd say I'm 70% objective/30% subjective(but take the subjectivity of others in to that as well).
post #245 of 264 Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 AM

Do you have any concrete data, with graphs and accurate measurements made by perfect technical tools to corroborate what you just said? ..Then we can start analysing, comparing, with double blind-tests to see and hear objectively them subjective measurements and tests.

Of course I'm only humorous, but to put an accent to this point in time and space.

I find it amusing sometimes the way we, humans, look for answers to them questions without borders.

Science is fine, for what it is, and it isn't. Science alone is not the completion of all things undiscovered; it is the constant research of the unknown without ever finding the abso!lute but to get closer to it.
Alfred* Einstein was a good example.

* Was it Adolph?
post #246 of 264 Old 10-24-2014, 10:13 AM

In the equation of musical fidelity there are two inconsistences:
1. The objective view of the researchers. ...From yesterday, today and tomorrow.
2. The emotional chords of the various listeners. ...Credited to individual subjects.
post #247 of 264 Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
It's Albert Einstein.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #248 of 264 Old 10-24-2014, 06:55 PM

He looks pretty smart.
post #249 of 264 Old 10-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can't I be a little bit of both, depending on the type of equipment I am evaluating? I look at objective specs to decide the range of choices I will have for a particular piece of equipment, but my ultimate decision may come down to a subjective decision. The most compelling example I would use would be speakers. I would never buy speakers on objective terms alone; I want to hear them and look at them. There are no objective ways to measure a speaker that will truly tell you how it will sound. And how they look may be relevant to me, too.

Another example might be an A/V receiver. If all objective criteria are equal, I may decide between two or more receivers based on aesthetics or ease of use.

I don't understand why this distinction has to be absolute, meaning you are either an objectivist or a subjectivist. I would guess most people are a bit of both. They may lean more one way or another, but I doubt if anyone is purely one or the other.
auronihilist likes this.
post #250 of 264 Old 10-25-2014, 09:31 PM

Great post above.

Thing is, that in our passion for our audio hobby, some of us, we love to be in one camp and one camp only.
We don't care for the other camp; they are not worth it.
auronihilist likes this.
post #251 of 264 Old 11-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post
I have a friendly bet for you on the "stabilize DA by in essence saturating the dielectrics".

I will send you two sets of cables randomly labeled. Terminated single ended RCA or balanced.

One set will be 'burned in' with pink noise for 100 hours. One set not used. In advance I will post an encrypted zip file detailing which are and are not the burned in cables.

You have 30 days, any ears only assessment, totally sighted and you can listen as long or short as you want.

You have to simply tell me which pair sounds burned in and we will see if it lines up with the answer key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Hi. Thank you for your offer. Unfortunately, I do not at present have a top quality audio system set up. Also the specific cables, the treated and the control, both the same, will make a huge difference as to the effects of burn in as well as where located in the system. Yes the construction of the cable is much more imperative the lower the voltage it is expected to carry and the accuracy of the transmissions. Doe it reproduce very very tiny changes such as at high frequencies. I have done all this years ago and I have reached my own conclusions, another is periodically demagnetizing speaker cross overs which can be done with playing the right type of test signal.
I have a top quality audio system set up and I would be happy to participate in this experiment. I prefer balanced cables, but would appreciate being sent single ended and balanced cables to see if it is easier to discern a difference between the two types. Thanks for the opportunity.

PM me for my shipping address info.
post #252 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
I have a top quality audio system set up and I would be happy to participate in this experiment. I prefer balanced cables, but would appreciate being sent single ended and balanced cables to see if it is easier to discern a difference between the two types. Thanks for the opportunity.

PM me for my shipping address info.
This is already trodden territory for You and I.

1. My offer was to a particular person in this thread.

2. When I made an open offer years ago you declined due to 'No Interest in putting low resolution cables into your system'. Then:

3. You initially attempted to modify my offer by wanting to throw the cables on a scope and show the measured (not necessarily audible) difference. While I have never maintained a stance that a difference could not be measured it was about ears only evaluation. One that I don't trust you adhering to.

I wasn't trusted to send out either all burned in cables or no burned in cables. While the obvious flaw in the accusation wasn't lost on me (because an end user could say they all sounded the same and either were all burned in or not is certainly a third option they could exercise). Of note you weren't accusing me of doing something like that. Just wanted to answer anyone's unasked question / accusation pro-actively.

*As and aside it's ironic to see post after post over there that everything audible is not measurable but when it came to my burn in offer the first instinct you had (and a very apt one at that) was to measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	345490  
Chu Gai, koturban and DarqueKnight like this.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #253 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
This is already trodden territory for You and I.
People have been known to change their minds. No harm in asking.

Quote:
1. My offer was to a particular person in this thread.

OK. Fair enough.

Quote:
2. When I made an open offer years ago you declined due to 'No Interest in putting low resolution cables into your system'.

True, but after you kept pressing the issue, I realized how much it meant to you, so I decided to indulge you.

Quote:
Then:
3. You initially attempted to modify my offer by wanting to throw the cables on a scope and show the measured (not necessarily audible) difference. While I have never maintained a stance that a difference could not be measured it was about ears only evaluation. One that I don't trust you adhering to.

I have always advocated a combination of listening and measurement. Sometimes what I measure agrees with what I hear and sometimes it does not. In any event, I have always honestly reported what I heard and what I measured.

I do find it ironic that you would be so quick to question someone's integrity. After all, you are the one who creates multiple forum personas (e.g. Jinjuku and Habanero Monk on AVS and other forums) and attempts to deceive people into thinking you are two different people, even to the point of having conversations with yourself in the same thread and using one persona to validate the views of the other.

Quote:
I wasn't trusted to send out either all burned in cables or no burned in cables. While the obvious flaw in the accusation wasn't lost on me (because an end user could say they all sounded the same and either were all burned in or not is certainly a third option they could exercise). Of note you weren't accusing me of doing something like that. Just wanted to answer anyone's unasked question / accusation pro-actively.

It didn't matter to me if you were being devious or not. I was going to honestly report what I heard regardless.

Quote:
*As and aside it's ironic to see post after post over there that everything audible is not measurable but when it came to my burn in offer the first instinct you had (and a very apt one at that) was to measure.

I really don't see the irony here. Just because everything audible is not measurable, that is not a good case not to measure anything. For the record, my first instinct is always to listen and evaluate sound quality by ear. Measurement, for me, is for gaining insight into sonic performance.

I see that you went to Google and found a picture of my home. Please be aware that my shipping/mailing address and home address are different. You have an open invitation to send some cables for evaluation if you change your mind.

*The "over there" that Jinjuku refers to is the Polk Audio forum. He was banned by Polk's management once they caught wind of his vow to "clean up" the Polk forum. He was recently banned again by Polk's management after they caught wind that he was still active on the Polk forum under his "Habanero Monk" persona.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jinjuku Banned May 2011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	345682   Click image for larger version

Name:	HM Banned 9-21-14.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	345690  
audiofan1 likes this.
post #254 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp
Seeing this video is probably getting old for some, but it is compelling. Anyone who thinks he/she can "trust [his/her] ears" needs to watch it.

Trusting our ears is the BEST thing to do my friend!!!!

I am very much an Objectivist -- I WANT GOOD ANALOG AUDIO (Obviously when listening to a radio station online or not IS NOT TRUE ANALOG audio)

I am glad to have my records and cassettes..... After listening to stuff that doesnt sound too good it feels good to come in from the cold so to speak!
post #255 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I do find it ironic that you would be so quick to question someone's integrity.
Were did I question your integrity in this regard?

You are now and were then quite forthright about how you would test. That you aren't going to adhere to the ears only offer I made.

Your approach (just like fuses and effects of power cords on utility power noise) doesn't require my involvement since your process is intended to invariably remove the blind component of the offer.

I'm not testing if there is a measurable difference. I'm not even saying there wouldn't be. I'm testing a persons ability to discern that difference and also follow the stated preference of burned in vs non-burned in.

Participants even had a 12.5% chance of just pulling the cables out of the box, picking two, saying those are the 'burned in' and therefore better sounding cables w/o ever connecting them.

I like those threads just how I structured them. It was handed to me on a golden platter to borrow a phrase (I think Conradicle).

post #256 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Were did I question your integrity in this regard?

Here:

Quote:
While I have never maintained a stance that a difference could not be measured it was about ears only evaluation. One that I don't trust you adhering to.

I never said I wouldn't do an ear's only evaluation. I simply asked for an expansion of your original terms back in the 2010 offer. If I wanted to be devious, I could have agreed to your terms and then did whatever I wanted to do in the privacy of my home. I also did not say that I would not do an ear's only evaluation for your current offer. You are the one saying you don't trust me to adhere to your test protocol.

I don't have any issue with doing an ear's only evaluation. If I say that is what I will do, that is what I will do. Where did I specifically say that I would not do an ears only evaluation?

Quote:
You are now and were then quite forthright about how you would test. That you aren't going to adhere to the ears only offer I made.

I was forthright about how I prefer to test. I am comfortable doing ears only, measurement only, a combination of ears only and measurement, sighted, or blind. If you recall, I enthusiastically participated in the Philips "Golden Ear" series of blind audio tests and passed them all.

However, since you are so firm in your belief that I will not adhere to your testing protocol, it seems pointless to continue to offer my participation. Accordingly, my standing offer of participation in your testing exercises is withdrawn.

Quote:
I like those threads just how I structured them. It was handed to me on a golden platter to borrow a phrase (I think Conradicle).

I'm glad that your goals were met and that you feel a sense of victory.
post #257 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here:

I never said I wouldn't do an ear's only evaluation. I simply asked for an expansion of your original terms back in the 2010 offer.
And I declined those terms because they in effect are not ears only. Someone please tell me if I'm not speaking plain English... Frustrating to say the least.

Quote:
If I wanted to be devious, I could have agreed to your terms and then did whatever I wanted to do in the privacy of my home.
A fact that I made sure to publicly state that you were above board. But being above board and changing the terms still mean the terms are changed. Honest intentions not withstanding.

Quote:
I also did not say that I would not do an ear's only evaluation for your current offer. You are the one saying you don't trust me to adhere to your test protocol.
I don't trust you to do ears only because up to this point you have rather publicly stated you are going to bench the cables. So yes I didn't trust you to adhere to a specific protocol. Is my thought out of the realm of reasonable thought? Pink noising some IC's for 100 hours and then measuring them requires ZERO effort from me. Anyone here can do that on their own.

Quote:
I don't have any issue with doing an ear's only evaluation. If I say that is what I will do, that is what I will do. Where did I specifically say that I would not do an ears only evaluation?
Look in the 2010 thread and find me a post of yours stating that you would do ears only.

Quote:
I'm glad that your goals were met and that you feel a sense of victory.
It's confirmation of a particular class of enthusiasts and that their belief system is quickly compromised. One that I use informatively for other new persons getting into this hobby. Please don't take that to mean I attempt to get said persons to eschew product X. Just evaluate in a manner that is honest as they can.

Last edited by Jinjuku; 11-02-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #258 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I never said I wouldn't do an ear's only evaluation. I simply asked for an expansion of your original terms back in the 2010 offer.
Quote:
And I declined those terms because they in effect are not ears only. Someone please tell me if I'm not speaking plain English... Frustrating to say the least.

You took over three weeks to respond, your reason being that "you didn't feel like responding". When you did respond, you said nothing about having an issue with my test modification request. Your reason for not accepting my offer to participate was that I had waited too long.

I realize it must be difficult keeping track of what you say when you have multiple identities to keep up with. I have attached a screen shot of your PM response to refresh your memory.

Last edited by markrubin; 11-02-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #259 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You took over three weeks to respond, your reason being that "you didn't feel like responding". When you did respond, you said nothing about having an issue with my test modification request. Your reason for not accepting my offer to participate was that I had waited too long.

I realize it must be difficult keeping track of what you say when you have multiple identities to keep up with. I have attached a screen shot of your PM response to refresh your memory.
You were 8-10 weeks in responding for starters. I'm pretty sure I addressed the measuring of cables not being in the spirit of the offer.

I'll have to go and dig that up and get that to you. Bookmarks appear to all be broken linking to PF :-/

So you are obviously both subjective and objective enthusiast given your responses in this thread. That's a good thing and I do recall you saying you didn't notice any difference in Toslink cables.

Don't read into, just read what I am saying. Things will become much more clear.

post #260 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You were 8-10 weeks in responding for starters. I'm pretty sure I addressed the measuring of cables not being in the spirit of the offer.

I'll have to go and dig that up and get that to you.

OK.

Quote:
So you are obviously both subjective and objective enthusiast given your responses in this thread.

I am obviously subjective and objective given my responses in this thread, and given my comments on other audio forums, and other publications, going back over 10 years. I agree with the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Are you more of an objectivist or subjectivist? Of course, most audiophiles consider both approaches if possible, but which one has greater weight for you?

To answer the OP's question, the subjective has greater weight for me. That is because stereophonic music reproduction is about the creation of an illusion for the ears.

Quote:
That's a good thing and I do recall you saying you didn't notice any difference in Toslink cables.

What I said was that I have never noticed any audible difference in any digital cable, Toslink, coax, or HDMI. I recently evaluated some 110 ohm AES/BEU balanced digital cables ranging in price from $8 to $209 and didn't hear a difference among them, or among them and several 75 ohm balanced analog cables.
post #261 of 264 Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK.
I am obviously subjective and objective given my responses in this thread, and given my comments on other audio forums, and other publications, going back over 10 years. I agree with the OP:
That makes two of us then. Even my HT setup has a flat and house curve setting that I can recall on my base management system. Totally dependent on what my mood is.

When I get time one of these days I would like to see if what is out there API wise for an active speaker management system. Build some further tagging into FLAC (or see what is currently possible) and have the speaker management system settings change on the fly as the tag or other meta-data is read.

post #262 of 264 Old 11-25-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I voted Subjectivist. To me, it's quite simple. Listen to or watch a familar song or video on a particular setup. Do you hear or see something you didn't notice before? Is it an improvement? How does it make you feel?

There's no way to measure the feeling of goosebumps, and that's why we play with this stuff.
blazeaglory likes this.
post #263 of 264 Old 11-26-2014, 01:05 AM

I always measure the distance before I go in vacation.
post #264 of 264 Old 07-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
Seeing this video is probably getting old for some, but it is compelling. Anyone who thinks he/she can "trust [his/her] ears" needs to watch it.
I dont know about anyone else but I heard two different sounds...Immediately

BAA BAA BAA and FAA FAA FAA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page