AVS Members Meet Up at CES 2015 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4915
AVS Members Meet Up at CES 2015

L-R: Chris Lundblom, Don Ferguson, David Susilo, Scott Simonian, Mark Henninger, and Scott Wilkinson met under the CES arch today.

Mark Henninger and I were delighted to meet up with AVS members Chris Lundblom, Don Ferguson, David Susilo, and Scott Simonian this morning at CES 2015. We exchanged our impressions of what we had seen and heard so far and posed for this photo under the CES arch. Those of us who heard the GoldenEar Triton 5 were mighty impressed, but the DTS:X demo on the show floor was not very well regarded. (Mark and I had an appointment later in the day to hear a private demo in a more reasonable environment, which David had heard and liked very much.)

As for video, everyone scoffed at the obfuscation of quantum-dot technology with different marketing monikers and meaningless mumbo-jumbo that explained nothing. More exciting for all is the emergence of standards for high dynamic range and wide color gamut for UHD content and displays.

It was great to connect with Chris, Don, David, and Scott; thanks for showing up, guys!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
barrelbelly, dnoonie, M Lo and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 01-08-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 512
And a dashing bunch of handsome lads ye are! Look like you guys were having a ball. So with that last point...is it safe to say, just stick with the best 1080p you can afford for right now? And be happy. Sounds like reasonable and practical UHD/4k is really 1-3 years away. Or until everyone get the standards house in order.
post #3 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
This sounds relatively low-key compared to our CEDIA GTG. Anything else of interest on the audio side?
ss9001 likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
And a dashing bunch of handsome lads ye are! Look like you guys were having a ball. So with that last point...is it safe to say, just stick with the best 1080p you can afford for right now? And be happy. Sounds like reasonable and practical UHD/4k is really 1-3 years away. Or until everyone get the standards house in order.
I would agree with that characterization.

At least standards are being put in place!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #5 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Good seeing Dfergie in the picture.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #6 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I just missed you guys as I got off the plane at 10:05am this morning (just in for the last 2 days of CES). Hopefully next time.
post #7 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post
Good seeing Dfergie in the picture.
Too bad you had to take off this morning... enjoyed putting faces to names and chatting for a few, turns out I could have stayed longer, Six(Tricia Hefler) wasn't at the Ford booth till 1 pm.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

L-R: Chris Lundblom, Don Ferguson, David Susilo, Scott Simonian, Mark Henninger, and Scott Wilkinson met under the CES arch today.

Mark Henninger and I were delighted to meet up with AVS members Chris Lundblom, Don Ferguson, David Susilo, and Scott Simonian this morning at CES 2015. We exchanged our impressions of what we had seen and heard so far and posed for this photo under the CES arch. Those of us who heard the GoldenEar Triton 5 were mighty impressed, but the DTS:X demo on the show floor was not very well regarded. (Mark and I had an appointment later in the day to hear a private demo in a more reasonable environment, which David had heard and liked very much.)

As for video, everyone scoffed at the obfuscation of quantum-dot technology with different marketing monikers and meaningless mumbo-jumbo that explained nothing. More exciting for all is the emergence of standards for high dynamic range and wide color gamut for UHD content and displays.

It was great to connect with Chris, Don, David, and Scott; thanks for showing up, guys!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
And that Ladies and Gents is how you take a picture!
qwho51 likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Those are some weird looking dudes...
David Susilo likes this.
post #10 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
At last, the first public exposure of the -C-ouncil of -E-xceptional -S-entients
SWavePro likes this.

RustyBones

Last edited by qwho51; 01-08-2015 at 11:59 PM. Reason: punctuation errors
post #11 of 40 Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Excellent! I saw a couple of gentleman wearing AVS shirts and tried to catch up to say hello, but they ninja'd out and blended in with the crowd. Great to see this pic!

-JR
post #12 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
... but the DTS:X demo on the show floor was not very well regarded. (Mark and I had an appointment later in the day to hear a private demo in a more reasonable environment, which David had heard and liked very much.)
If it is not too much asked, I believe many members would be delighted if you were able to share your impressions with us in one of the dedicated DTS:X threads.

Many thanx in advance.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #13 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had to work a bit late so I couldn't get off in time to make it =/ but will be there Friday.
post #14 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
As for video, everyone scoffed at the obfuscation of quantum-dot technology with different marketing monikers and meaningless mumbo-jumbo that explained nothing.
Interesting comment...

Kind of confirms what I've concluded the past several years about CES TV announcements & prototypes.

When the true successor to plasma performance-wise should be OLED, all these companies keep sinking money in an inferior display technology.

I've been tuning the marketing machine off until they come up with something > 65" that can truly out-perform & replace my last gen Kuro.

The buzz words for the technology (quantum dots? ) without technical explanations of how it works aren't helping.

And still, another yr goes by without all the pieces to the UHD puzzle in place by the companies promoting the technology. They're making progress but not there yet (at least for me to plunk down my money on a new display).

Now, if all the display companies could all agree to a standard for HDR, color gamut & bits, the consumer wouldn't have to play guessing games what the BS marketing will really bring to the table in his home. The TV mfgs are still all over the place on implementation.

At least CEDIA announcements brought Atmos with standards, real hardware, real demos and hard explanations on implementation and functionality.

Can the TV mfgs take some lessons?

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 01-09-2015 at 05:12 AM.
post #15 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
...I could have stayed longer, Six(Tricia Hefler) wasn't at the Ford booth till 1 pm.
Talking about this one cheek??

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #16 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
I would never guess from looking at the photo that you are a group of techie nerds
post #17 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5708 Post(s)
Liked: 5552
So what say you gents? I would love to hear more about the DTS:X promo....or is that planned for another thread entirely? @Scott Simonian @imagic

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #18 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
So what say you gents? I would love to hear more about the DTS:X promo....or is that planned for another thread entirely? @Scott Simonian @imagic
Yeah, I know that even on some "other" forums, people have been waiting for the super special, AVS report on DTS:X. I kept telling people that we won't know a whole lot until March since it isn't like DTS is going to spill the beans to AVS after saying that the official announcement is in a couple of months, but still... The show floor demo wasn't good, but the private one was? Interesting.
post #19 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Yes, I thought it was at 10, missed seeing her.
Avliner likes this.
post #20 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
The show floor demo wasn't good, but the private one was? Interesting.
"private demo in a more reasonable environment"

"David [Susilo] had heard and liked very much"

I would also like to learn Mark Henninger's and Scott Wilkinson's impressions, their silence is very loud to my ears.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #21 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Nice looking bunch.

I'd love to have the opportunity to see the CES some year - even though it's for industry professionals!

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #22 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
The Home Theater Geeks 238 was just posted on youtube from CES
post #23 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I would never guess from looking at the photo that you are a group of techie nerds
post #24 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
Nice looking bunch.

I'd love to have the opportunity to see the CES some year - even though it's for industry professionals!

I wish I had carved out the time to attend CES 2015 too. When I lived in Chicago in the 1970's to 1980's, I went to CES practically every year. It was a sight to behold in those golden years of audio. I actually started to lose interest with the advent of the digital age. When it became about everything electronic. Including Refrigerators, toaster ovens and the like. It now looks like it has made a fabulous swing back. And it is entirely because of the convergence of high end video and audio through digital processing. HD obviously had a huuuuuuge! part in this. Maybe the biggest part. But either way...HD was a tremendous turbo boost for video/audio/games and home entertainment for the masses. From what I've read, the emerging world of Virtual Reality is the "Must see-must stop" destination at CES 2015. Since HD/3D/VR is all about creating gigantic immersive world video experiences from small micro display OLED type footprints...I would appreciate Imagic and Scott checking it out and giving us a first impression about what they thought. And what they think the impacts will be on main stream HDTV viewing.
post #25 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
"private demo in a more reasonable environment"

"David [Susilo] had heard and liked very much"

I would also like to learn Mark Henninger's and Scott Wilkinson's impressions, their silence is very loud to my ears.
You will read our impressions soon enough; we have a backlog of stories from the show to post, but we will give this one top priority.
post #26 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Quoted: 9306 Post(s)
Liked: 16472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
If it is not too much asked, I believe many members would be delighted if you were able to share your impressions with us in one of the dedicated DTS:X threads.

Many thanx in advance.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Yeah, I know that even on some "other" forums, people have been waiting for the super special, AVS report on DTS:X. I kept telling people that we won't know a whole lot until March since it isn't like DTS is going to spill the beans to AVS after saying that the official announcement is in a couple of months, but still... The show floor demo wasn't good, but the private one was? Interesting.
I will write something up about my DTS:X demo impressions during my flight home. I am at the airport now so that's not far off. At latest I will have a thread up tomorrow morning.
Frank714 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #27 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Quoted: 5708 Post(s)
Liked: 5552
Thanks Mark!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #28 of 40 Old 01-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

She has a few miles on her.
post #29 of 40 Old 01-10-2015, 12:38 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5117
Quote:
Just got back home about an hour and a half ago.

The DTS:X "demo" was pretty brief. Can't say I was disappointed but it wasn't a very thrilling "demo". It was very short, maybe 6-7mins. No mention of technical details. Just that there would be an official announcement for DTS:X in March.

The demo room was very odd. It was a cylindrical shaped room with no seats. There was an interesting 360degree video system (multiple projectors) which was neat but the resolution was extremely low. VGA resolution or something awful but the effect was cool but it was used for only one of the trailers. You couldn't see how many speakers where used behind the screen but up at the top of the cylindrical shaped silo room was about seven speakers in a circle (maybe more, forgot to count lol) with one directly in the middle of the circle.

The sound effect was neat but the demo material was the typical sound format trailer type stuff.

Got a demo disc. Some of the content on it is encoded in DTS:X. Will check it out tomorrow.
imagic likes this.
post #30 of 40 Old 01-10-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I was also somewhat underwhelmed by the DTS demo. Not sure if I would consider it for home. Sorry I missed you guys a the meetup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
ces 2015 , frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page