What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?
Amazon Instant Video 110 13.40%
Blockbuster On Demand 1 0.12%
CinemaNow 0 0%
Hulu 19 2.31%
iTunes 25 3.05%
Netflix 425 51.77%
Vudu 88 10.72%
YouTube 35 4.26%
Other 47 5.72%
I don't watch streamed video 71 8.65%
Voters: 821. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #181 of 198 Old 12-27-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
One of the primary reasons I am shocked at the prices people are paying for the latest Oppo UHD players. Paying exorbitant, above retail prices for a now defunct player with no hope for firmware updates. I own an Oppo for my SACD and DVD-A discs.

But to the question on the thread, we use Netflix and Prime in the living room and bedrooms. Disc only on the theater room.
Don't get me wrong I can get firmware updates just not for netflix in order to get DD 5.1. But my receiver matrixes the sound and for the amount I watch netflix it isn't bad. I do most of my action watching useing BD. Also even though Oppo is not making anymore new players they said that they will continue to support players that are out there now with tech and firmware support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 01-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I think Netflix and Amazon are the best for their robust content library and investments into original shows.
Panson likes this.
post #183 of 198 Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Netflix! even if I hate the way it manages movie genres/categories
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 198 Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes Netflix is my favorit, but annoying we have less content here in Sweden....
post #185 of 198 Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Again, I'd rather watch a Blu-ray. I was watching the Dark Knight on Netflix (the poll leader) and noticed severe posterization in dark scenes, particularly when he is in China and swoops down off the building at night. It took me right out of the movie. I switched to same scene on the Blu-ray and it was gone.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #186 of 198 Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Netflix - mainly because of their high quality original content.
post #187 of 198 Old 03-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Like I said earlier I had Netflix but the reason I do not currently have it is I lost my job so that got cut and once my job is stable and not through an agency I will most likely get it back. One thing I hate with streaming services is the line up changes and there is only so much content and usually you do not find alot of classics or rare titles. And another example is Ultraviolet going under there are and will be services that come and go and so will your library when they do. I look at Netflix like a different version of HBO so I can justify the cost of Netflix because I am not spending money on something I do not own like digital media, it is more like a subscription service. Streaming is ok for rentals as well so that is something I am looking into to add to what I have in my library of movies on disc.

Dish Network
Netflix: May be resubscribing this summer
Vudu & Movies Anywhere: Mainly to register codes to use to back up movies I purchase on disc. Also may rent movies using there service
Planning on purchasing an 4K Apple TV this year for renting movies

Considering a NAS but I will have to be able to play back lossless surround, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X! But the cost of investing into a NAS and the time and effort of ripping movies from disc to the NAS makes me wonder if it is worth it. Granted once everything is on the NAS it is just a matter of adding movies as I buy them. But currently I still do not see value in spending money on something I can not hold in my hand, something that can be taken away if there are any legal issues / licensing problems, provider going out of business and you loose everything and you actually do not own anything! Granted streaming has improved so much and there is no doubt it kills DVD quality and is close to blu-ray. But the best experience and quality is still physical media especially 4K UHD Blu-ray. Shure digital content doesn't take up space but if they change the version they are offering your screwed! Some services can cancel your account then what? For me digital is not worth spending money on and the library is no where near what is on physical media with the number of titles in 4K and with lossless audio or immersive audio. This may change in the future but for now no buying digital content.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
post #188 of 198 Old 03-24-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
I dont really watch streaming video so I picked Other

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #189 of 198 Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just upgraded to ATMOS last month, so besides picture quality, that's one more strike against streaming. I'm sure one day it will be good enough, it just isn't there yet.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #190 of 198 Old 03-26-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I just upgraded to ATMOS last month, so besides picture quality, that's one more strike against streaming. I'm sure one day it will be good enough, it just isn't there yet.
Lossy Atmos is available through streaming, just not lossless. I agree with you on sound quality, lossless is the goal, but Atmos functionality is available.
post #191 of 198 Old 03-30-2019, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My question is quite simple, it regards a specific aspect of the aforementioned providers' offer. Do you know who offers the most user-friendly phone and tablet application as well as which provider has the option of downloading the content to your device?
post #192 of 198 Old 03-30-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Lossy Atmos is available through streaming, just not lossless. I agree with you on sound quality, lossless is the goal, but Atmos functionality is available.
For a price...

post #193 of 198 Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For a price...
Well... yeah - Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, iTunes.. etc cost money, but the ability to do Atmos (lossy) doesn't cost extra, unless I'm missing something (don't use Atmos).
post #194 of 198 Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in Australia just to note as Stan is Australia specific.

I use Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime Video, Itunes, and Youtube. I own a few movies and tv shows on Google Play but it's not really used by me as I prefer itunes.

In terms of preference I consider the video/audio quality of about all the services to be pretty close. At least if you're comparing an HD stream to an HD stream or a 4K stream to a 4K stream. I probably prefer Itunes out of any of them due to the breadth of recent 4K content. Netflix is only 4K for original content. With a few exceptions I think, like Outlander used to be in 4K and Blacklist used to be in 4K. And Stan has a pretty limited amount of 4K content.
post #195 of 198 Old 03-30-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Well... yeah - Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, iTunes.. etc cost money, but the ability to do Atmos (lossy) doesn't cost extra, unless I'm missing something (don't use Atmos).
You are. ATMOS on Netflix requires paying for a higher tier level, and Prime only allows ATMOS on certain devices (Firestick, etc).

post #196 of 198 Old 03-31-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are. ATMOS on Netflix requires paying for a higher tier level, and Prime only allows ATMOS on certain devices (Firestick, etc).
I guess so, but since I already am paying more for UHD access, I didn't take into account (or know) that the 1080p level doesn't support ATMOS.
post #197 of 198 Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
streaming for TV is primarily amazon, movies require BD at the moment due to quality on vid/audio. Streaming just can't match it.
post #198 of 198 Old 05-09-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
We subscribe to YouTube (Red + TV), HBO, Amazon, and Netflix. Content varies per provider at any given time - i.e. Netflix/HBO will constantly phase-in/out items. Curation seems to be best with HBO, but I think its because there is less selection - i.e. more quality per amount of scrolling so its easier to find something to agree on to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page