AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Community News & Polls (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/)
-   -   Is Your Primary Flat-Panel TV Wall-Mounted? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/2009570-your-primary-flat-panel-tv-wall-mounted.html)

Scott Wilkinson 05-23-2015 01:50 PM

Is Your Primary Flat-Panel TV Wall-Mounted?
 
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...0e116690bd.jpg

Most AVS members have at least one flat-panel TV. Is yours wall-mounted or freestanding?

I've heard it said that the vast majority of people with flat-panel TVs do not mount them on the wall; most use the TV's stand and place it on a cabinet of some sort or in an entertainment center. And who can blame them? The wall-mounting hardware must be securely attached to the wall studs, and it's difficult to hide the cables. On the other hand, a wall-mounted flat panel sure looks cool, especially if you can hide all the cables (including the AC power cable).

How about you? Is your primary flat-panel TV wall-mounted? If so, is it mounted so the center of the screen is roughly at seated eye height, or is it higher—say, above a fireplace? Did you do it yourself, or did you hire someone to do it? If you hid the cables, how did you do it? Or do you have no flat-panel TV at all?

As I've learned from doing these polls, some AVS members will undoubtedly question the precise meaning of "primary flat-panel TV," so let me try to be clear here. According to a poll I conducted back in February, 65.5% of respondents have a flat-panel TV as their main video display, while 28.8% have a front projector. (The rest have rear-projection TVs and a few CRT direct-view TVs.) But I bet that many of those with a front projector also have a flat panel somewhere in their home.

If you are among those whose main video display is a flat panel, the meaning of "primary flat-panel TV" should be obvious. For those whose main video display is a front projector (or other type of display), if you also have one or more flat panels in your home, which one do you consider to be "primary"? Maybe you have one behind a retractable projection screen in your home theater, or perhaps it's the one in the bedroom or family room—whatever. The point here is to learn how common it is for AVS members to wall-mount their primary flat-panel TV, however you define that phrase.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

milkk 05-24-2015 11:10 AM

Both TVs in the house are mounted on Whalen TV Stands with built-in mounts. Wall in this house aren't straight because the townhouses are in a semi circle plus didn't want the hassle :)

gajCA 05-24-2015 11:28 AM

I've mounted numerous TV's on walls for people but even if my 60 inch Plasma had a wall behind it, rather than a window, I prefer the sturdy solid wood table with shelf (perfect for the rather large center channel speaker) that I have it on now.

The screen, like the left and right speakers, is at head height when seated.

I would never ever consider mounting one above a fireplace in a "normal" sized house.

The height of stupidity IMHO, even if the wires are completely hidden.

To get the speakers "right" they'd have to flank the TV to the left and right and directly below or above.

The Dark Knut 05-24-2015 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hahaha I get a kick how you had to go into full dissertation on Primary Flat-Panel Tv explanation. My Samsung LN52B is sitting on top of a BDI entertainment center. This TV has a terrible reflection problem during the day, if the image is not super bright you're basically watching yourself sitting on the couch. Debating on getting the cheap 70" Vizio from Costco as I'm finding my current TV is too small :D Only problem 70" TV will carry past custom built-in cubby on sides


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...733914&thumb=1

fierce_gt 05-24-2015 11:41 AM

mine's on a stand, but that's more because my room dictates that.

in my 'dream room' i'd have it wall mounted, flush, at eye level. i'm not sure if i'll have a tv in the main theatre room in the new house, but this is my plan for the living room.

Hank 05-24-2015 12:06 PM

I do not have a flat TV. I have my rear projection Sammy 61" DLP LED TV whose PQ I have yet to see equaled in a flat panel TV. I'm waiting to see QDEF enabled TV.

peschiNL 05-24-2015 12:15 PM

never understood why when people wall-mount their tv's, its always way too high, like they are paintings or something. TV should always be at eye level, not one inch higher.

TitusTroy 05-24-2015 12:27 PM

my 55" VT30 sits on a stand with my center speaker on the rack below it and my cable box sitting below that...never liked wall mounts for the reasons mentioned above- not at eye level

barrelbelly 05-24-2015 12:31 PM

On stands that house other things cleanly and loving it. Some old habits are very hard to break. Especially when you like them. When I get my projector & screen around Christmas this year. The stand setup gives me much more freedom and flexibility. Because I will just setup the screen right in front of the HDTV. And put the projector (BenQ 1080 or 1085) on a table to create whatever size image I want for Movies & special events like sports & concerts. Then tuck them away until desired again. My HDTVs only range from 34"-42". Which are perfect for regular TV viewing IMO. For the big stuff...65"-100"...I don't want a giant screen dominating any room in the house anymore. ANd of course, I scored major brownie points from the wife for "evolving" to that point of view (from the cave to the rest of the home).

johnnymacIII 05-24-2015 12:48 PM

Wall mounted, because my entertainment center has my center channel on it.

Red99 05-24-2015 12:53 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Mine is wall mounted up high above the fireplace. Not a lot of choice. But its actually perfect for my high back reclining sofa.
I customized my fireplace mantel and dropped it down for a center channel to fit under the TV. When I did it, I mounted some recces lighting under the mantel, and mounted a 120V outlet on top behind the center channel speaker. The power for the mantel /TV runs out at the bottom right corner of the floor. The TV plugs in to the top of the mantel behind the speaker. The HDMI cables run also down into the mantel, and along the inside of molding on the floor. Behind the speaker I have a cover plate to cover the wires.

JohnAV 05-24-2015 12:59 PM

IMHO I still find wall mounting a display, to be too restrictive on what you can show and hide without opening up the wall. Perhaps if you have a home, that has the necessary power, patch panel behind where you install it.

For most of here, with a lot of AV gear, that image on your OP represents a very minimalistic deployment, might be acceptable to casual viewer, but the rest of us . . . .ugh! ;)

Z-Mad 05-24-2015 01:01 PM

My 75" Samsung H7150 and my Panny VT50 Plasma are both on stands. I do like the look of a wall mounted TV, but it is a bit of a hassle and not necessarily cheap either. To do it right, one will in most cases need to pay for the mounting service, plus the mount, and one can buy a whole new TV for that money (not a great or big one, but still puts things into perspective). Especially with larger screens (like my 75") a good mount ain't cheap...
I also don't get the whole "trend" of mounting TV's above fire places - what a terrible idea... Feels like one of those first row seats in a movie theater or something - neck pain guaranteed... I would consider mounting the Samsung only to elevate it sufficiently above the surface of my media center to allow placing a good center speaker on it, otherwise no real necessity to mount it. When mounted at proper viewing level (eye-level), a 75" is barely any higher above the media center than it is now on the stand - so not much of perceived difference...

stash64 05-24-2015 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank (Post 34464690)
I do not have a flat TV. I have my rear projection Sammy 61" DLP LED TV whose PQ I have yet to see equaled in a flat panel TV. I'm waiting to see QDEF enabled TV.

The Samsung DLP I purchased a number of years ago was far and away the worst HD TV I have owned and I replaced it after only a year or so. I can only assume you have never viewed a modern flat panel plasma. Though I do admit the audio quality from a rear projection set is most likely much better than a flat panel.


Anyway, I do like the "floating" look of wall mounting but it doesn't work too well if you need a fairly large entertainment center for your a/v equipment. My TV is floating but using Salamander's TV mount which ties into the Salamander Synergy stand.

chunon 05-24-2015 01:13 PM

I have a 64" and a 55" inch plasma both wall mounted. I consider them much more secure this way. Cables are minumum in my setup. Both are at eye height or slighty above.

They_call_me_Roto 05-24-2015 01:14 PM

My primary set is on a stand with a rotating base, so I voted for stand-mount.

In my bedroom I have a set wall mounted with a passive soundbar mounted to the wall below it. I did the installation myself, put an electrical outlet in the wall behind the TV, routed all the necessary wiring in the wall. Nice clean presentation.

spacejamz 05-24-2015 01:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wall mounted mine to look like it is on a stand....this allows me to have the screen flush with the front edge of the stand...

TitusTroy 05-24-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacejamz (Post 34466306)
Wall mounted mine to look like it is on a stand....this allows me to have the screen flush with the front edge of the stand...


that's pretty clever

Lethean 05-24-2015 01:47 PM

I have mine wall mounted at eye height. My next step is to get a Bell'O A/V rack to put all my components in so I can take the T.V stand out of the living room. I want to run the HDMI cable in wall but I've heard you need some fancy stuff for that it isn't as simple as just drilling a hole.

My main concern if I get rid of the entertainment center is the T.V will look a lot smaller with all that open wall space below it.

p5browne 05-24-2015 01:47 PM

6 TVs in the house, all on their stands. Much easier to move all the sets around when a new set comes into the house.

blazar 05-24-2015 02:22 PM

A modern decor might favor wall mounting a TV, however a victorian or mediterranean style decor will often favor putting the TV on something decorative.

The trouble with wall mounting a TV from a decor standpoint is that you often wind up with unused floor space near the TV anyway.

in a room with 4 walls, at least two walls are often occupied with a door. Another wall will have windows. The last wall might be the "tv" wall which also generally becomes the decorative center point. The seating positions all point in this direction. The "TV cabinet" or other furniture becomes the focal point of the room since a blank TV looks boring to look at.

The reason why so many folks around here worry about "WAF" is due to a lack of design knowledge or skills. There are many aesthetically pleasing ways to do AV equipment, but not everyone cares to figure it out or spend the money.

evan1242 05-24-2015 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i hung mine myself with a universal kit from BB. ($100)
i cut holes and used wall plates from home depot to hide the HDMI cable.
wasn't that hard. especially with the kit from BB. it came with a little level, and a big sheet template that you used to mark your holes before putting in the bolts/screws.
most counties/states have code that will not allow tv power cables to be ran through the wall. you must install an outlet behind the TV. i was lucky enough to have an outlet already right behind where i wanted my TV.

8mile13 05-24-2015 02:40 PM

My 50'' flat TV is not wall mounted and it is not on a stand either. The center of the screen is at seated eye height (very important!). The TV is positioned on a cabinet and it is a tiny bit tilted. I made shure that the TV can not move into any direction. Cables lying around everywhere. I do not care:)

I do not trust the walls in my house so wall mounting aint gonna happen. In general i would not trust a TV connected to /wall bracket/ wall either. I could buy a stand but i would be forced to heighten my armchair...again. btw a 50''+ stand is not 100% secure...either.

Orbitron 05-24-2015 02:44 PM

My primary viewing is at night so that's the 50" Kuro in the bedroom on a dresser, it's flanked by a 32" and a 46", the entire front wall.


Secondary viewing is when I'm eating so that's the kitchen - a 55" LG OLED (flat) and wall mounted.


Tertiary viewing is in the HT - a 60" Kuro on a large custom equipment rack. Seldom used as there is a Q-750d projector ceiling mounted and mated to a motorized 92" StudioTek 130 G3.

Shadowed 05-24-2015 02:51 PM

59 Attachment(s)
Mine is hanging down from a ceiling mount because it has an open room behind it.

6athome 05-24-2015 03:03 PM

The TV in my Den is on a stand. My bedroom TV is Wall Mounted high so I can watch it without it being a pain in the neck.
PS. My wife got me the TV for the bedroom after she had Triplets(naturally).

fierce_gt 05-24-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbelly (Post 34465194)
On stands that house other things cleanly and loving it. Some old habits are very hard to break. Especially when you like them. When I get my projector & screen around Christmas this year. The stand setup gives me much more freedom and flexibility. Because I will just setup the screen right in front of the HDTV. And put the projector (BenQ 1080 or 1085) on a table to create whatever size image I want for Movies & special events like sports & concerts. Then tuck them away until desired again. My HDTVs only range from 34"-42". Which are perfect for regular TV viewing IMO. For the big stuff...65"-100"...I don't want a giant screen dominating any room in the house anymore. ANd of course, I scored major brownie points from the wife for "evolving" to that point of view (from the cave to the rest of the home).

it's funny you say that, but i think my getting a projector is the exact reason i would now prefer a wall mount. with the projector, i don't want ANYTHING distracting me, which means, speakers, av rack, the works need to be hidden if possible.

in the new house, my plan is to rack mount all the av gear out of sight, and then i can do whatever i want with the front of the room. if i include a tv, it'll be wall mounted behind a retractable screen, but it's VERY likely i won't because i want to do a fixed AT screen instead.

cyclones22 05-24-2015 03:17 PM

Mine is mounted, but on a Boltz Mobile Flat Panel TV Cart. It's secure so I don't fear it falling over during an earthquake and it's also mobile if needed and fits my sense of style.

natetg57 05-24-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peschiNL (Post 34464834)
never understood why when people wall-mount their tv's, its always way too high, like they are paintings or something. TV should always be at eye level, not one inch higher.

Unless you want your center channel close to ear level and in line with your left and right. I have the bottom of my tv about eye level. Not sure why that is terrible.

barrelbelly 05-24-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_gt (Post 34468698)
it's funny you say that, but i think my getting a projector is the exact reason i would now prefer a wall mount. with the projector, i don't want ANYTHING distracting me, which means, speakers, av rack, the works need to be hidden if possible.

in the new house, my plan is to rack mount all the av gear out of sight, and then i can do whatever i want with the front of the room. if i include a tv, it'll be wall mounted behind a retractable screen, but it's VERY likely i won't because i want to do a fixed AT screen instead.

I see and respect your pov on this. Heck...even I used to feel that way. But nothing except real world stuff "distracts" me anymore when I'm viewing a movie. Especially my equipment rack. In fact, I actually want it to be easily accessible. So I can set and forget. It took me decades to get comfortable with this level of simplicity. Especially the part in the area of changing plugs & etc on a stand setup versus a fixed wall mounted flat panel setup.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.