Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 104 13.58%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 36 4.70%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 218 28.46%
No, I have cable service 221 28.85%
No, I have satellite service 144 18.80%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.44%
I watch no TV programming at all 32 4.18%
Voters: 766. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #31 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I would love to
but if you cut livesports...and HGTV and a few cable/satellite shows that I wanted to watch first run
Boardwork Empire...the Wire...True Blood..etc..etc..etc
I dont think I would even watch television any more

I would LOVE to save the money monthly...but honestly without them I might as well just sell my A/V gear

Warren
There are ways to watch cable shows the very same night they air. (I watched the first four season of Game of Thrones online in a few marathon sittings before I got HBO GO.) Not so sure about sports though, as I don't watch them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post
I used to keep cable just for the news - but since cutting the cord, I don't care about the news... and my days are slightly less depressing.
If you cannot do anything about it, feeling less depressed until the end - global warming, WWIII or environment pollution - might seem like a better choice.

Cable has no decent news anyway. Anything worth watching or reading can be found online.
WHATTHEDILEO and jazzycat like this.
post #33 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I have DirecTV, just curious on how people are going to save money cutting the chord as I find streaming services even more expensive. I have a Friend who has a RoKu 3, now if he rents his favorite shows or pays for a service in order to get the shows the guy ends up paying more than I do for his subscriptions. The individualized pay per play just seems like we are going to spend a lot more money and now with 4K coming sooner than later to the masses, I think Fiber Optic lines will be the only good choice. I also have an over the air HD antenna, the good old days when it was free and the advertisers where flipping for the bill, now they still get their money but they are digging into our pockets more. They need to deregulate the industry and get their collective heads out of their (|)s! The rates that customers are paying for what should be free, yes I said free is ridiculous. Now I can see paying for PayPer View or channels that don't run ads, but they need to make it so a person can customize and not deal with all the BS. The problem is if I want lets say Game of Thrones or another show in HD, its going to cost me $20-$30 bucks a year and if you ad up lets say 6 shows $150 bucks on average, no thanks.

RLBURNSIDE: Well the good old internet is far worse than any Ads on TV, I welcome those over the BS ones on the Net where they track what your clicking on or watching to the point every time you pull up a different web page you see an item you where thinking about buying. In my case a new treadmill. Now everywhere I go for the last frickin month I see a Treadmill Ad even on here and Wayfair BS because my wife used my account to check furniture out... LOL The net and Facebook/Google etc.. just have way too much information about buying habits these days, I welcome TV ads at lest I can fast forward them. Trying to hid all the ones on here just causes my browser to go haywire!
I don't understand this. I would be paying for internet service regardless. Netflix costs me $8/month. If I decide to keep Amazon Prime it will cost me $99/year, which is $8.25/month (which I haven't decided yet). I have an Ooma Telo which costs me only what the taxes are for phone service, which you pay no matter what phone service you have (under $4 in my state, and an additional $10/month for an additional dedicated phone number, which would cost a LOT more with a phone company). So I'm only paying $30/month, plus $40 for internet, when my bill was $160+/month before for bundled services. How is your friend paying more? Even if I subscribed to HBO it would still be less than half what I was paying before. (I watch individual, current episodes online, where content is free. Also some movies, current movies.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Have Cablevision, Fios, a 7 foot OTA antenna in the attic and a 10 foot Orbitron SX-10 satellite dish on a 25 foot pole.
I like having access to everything!
post #35 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I haven't cut the cord on my satellite service. And I won't for quite some time; I simply spend an overwhelming majority of my viewing time watching live sports. But I can understand why a lot of cord cutters want to get rid of their services, especially if they're not interested in sports.

YouTube TV | NBA League Pass | NFL Sunday Ticket.tv | ESPN+ | HBO NOW | Netflix | SiriusXM All-Access
Samsung PN60F5300 60" Plasma | Apple TV 4K
post #36 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I cut the cord years ago and put HTPC's on every tv in the house. Some are recycled old pc's and a few are new builds. I don't miss cable at all. The few channels I watched before are not worth the $160 I was paying. So now I am saving thousands each year and still enjoying most of the same TV. Seeing how I could care less about sports, cutting the cord served me well and saved a bundle of cash.

post #37 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The wife is the only reason i have cableTV service. I'd still use it for internet service, but that's it.
post #38 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
I don't understand this. I would be paying for internet service regardless. Netflix costs me $8/month. If I decide to keep Amazon Prime it will cost me $99/year, which is $8.25/month (which I haven't decided yet). I have an Ooma Telo which costs me only what the taxes are for phone service, which you pay no matter what phone service you have (under $4 in my state, and an additional $10/month for an additional dedicated phone number, which would cost a LOT more with a phone company). So I'm only paying $30/month, plus $40 for internet, when my bill was $160+/month before for bundled services. How is your friend paying more? Even if I subscribed to HBO it would still be less than half what I was paying before. (I watch individual, current episodes online, where content is free. Also some movies, current movies.)
jazz: I was going off my friends service and he has a Roku and he pays for Amazon/Netflicks and iTunes. Trust me when I say eventually I am going to go this route, right now I have 2 homes and one account with DTV, if I wouldn't be able to do that I would have dumped them long ago. I have Fiber Optic at our Lake House and waiting for it in the city I am in. I had him add everything up and he was at $120 bucks but he gets 3 movie stations like Showtime/HBO and Starz etc.. I am like B. Shoe I watch a lot of live sports as well.
jazzycat likes this.
post #39 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
My story:
Back in Feb-2005 when HDTV was just coming onboard I bought a 42" 720p Sony slimline for $2k at Best Buy, before I did that I called and confirmed that Comcast had HD Cable for my home. When they came out to install the cable box it was discovered that the area I was in (Hartland/Howell Michigan) did not have the infrastructure to support HD over cable, boy was I Pi$$ed!

Decided to ditch the analog cable and went with OTA antenna for free HDTV, lived that way for 2 whole years till April-2007 when HD cable was made available.
Kids were young then, so we did not "miss" cable, nor me some of the sci-fi network stuff/etc.

Fast forward 8 years later:
Now, I'm tired of $$/monthly bills for all the "data" we seem to need, cell phone plan + cable (internet plan + viewing).

This antenna is still there:

The 10 year old 42" 720p Sony slimline has been relegated to basement 4th bedroom duty, it's connected via OTA only as that's a guest room, they can watch "free" TV.
I'm too cheap to pay $12/month for a converter box that will essentially get dusty.

It would be hard to cut the cord and give up the perceived need of cable viewing, I'm not versed in all my options.
post #40 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 552
I cut the cord about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I honestly don't miss it one bit, in fact my combo of Netflix and whatever I can find on the web is FAR superior to what I could pay through the nose for with cable. I can't wait to see the likes of Comcast in the US and Rogers here in Canada go down in flames.
jazzycat likes this.
post #41 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
I've never paid for any type of television service.

A few places I lived or visited had service.

Anyways, I'm un-able to cut the cable as I never signed up.
pachinko likes this.
post #42 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I've noticed that since I've cut the cord in favor of Netflix, and cut the radio in favor of PodCasts & Pandora [paid version], I have little tolerance for the vast number of ads that you must sit through in the traditional mediums.

Nowadays, the only ads I encounter precede monetized YouTube videos!
bombertodd, Montucky and jazzycat like this.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
post #43 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm in New Zealand. I cut the cord for Sky TV a long time ago (it's really the only satellite service available). You are looking at close to $100 a month for all the channel packages. The only thing I would possibly want it for would be the NBA, but there is league pass. OTA digital is fine for us.
We do pay for Netflix and have a year for free with another streaming service (free ISP deal). I will NEVER use a cable/satellite pay service again.
jazzycat likes this.
post #44 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Been with Directv since 1996- from the days of two providers, and endured no locals for years. I had to assemble, run lines and install the dish.
As of this week, I am fed up entirely with it! I see charges for "regional sports networks" on my bill and sought answers, as I do not watch any sports. It seems that I must pay it! It's only $4.00, but the point!!
I would drop it 12 days ago, IF I could only get the few channels I do enjoy from the internet.
I tried net filx and the Roku stick, and was insulted! On Roku I wanted to see an old Dragnet-but got stuck with the same ad over and over until I got jaded. Or, I could have the show for $0.99 w/o ads.
Orange is the new black- (Pee-yoo!!) what a stinker that is! Sat through 2 seasons, and couldn't tell if I was seeing Weeds of this show. IT was like it's a reject of Showtime or HBO.
Perhaps I'm too old? I grew up with 1 channel, until I was a teen when we got cable TV. 12 channels of poopy! Now, I pay for 300 channels of snot.
post #45 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
I'd love to cut cable but trying to get everything from other sources in good quality just isn't possible for me yet.
I've seen, and tried a few online shows but the quality is always cut-down compared to my WMC cablecard. I'm also multi-channel enthusiast, so that adds another wrinkle. Few online sources I've investigated, even allow you to get 5.1, 7.1. I've heard the Roku can do well with Netflix..., maybe even multi-channel. But now the selections are so limited.
We also watch a lot of network regulars like on Hallmark, Disney.

I hear ones complaining about commercials, I like some of them, and I skip others. With my cable card, I've never perfected the auto-commercial-skip functions. It seems to involve changing the video-file into a non-multi-ch output so I don't bother, unless I'm sending it to someone. I've also noticed that other sources, like online sources, have the most annoying repetitive commercials; Like Hulu or Yahoo. They can't figure out we've just seen that commercial 5 times?

Part of the 'cord cutting' is of course... cable was seen as a requirement for a decade or two. But then folks noticed how much of their budget it was eating. My mention about, "quality", doesn't resonate with that many in this 'ear bud' generation. This is the generation that people are content to watch theatrical movies on there 5in phones.
post #46 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I did cut the cable last year, went with Netflix and prime for movies over the air for local channels.
I also bought 3 Roku and was going to use them for my sport, Ice Hockey on NHL pay service.
My home team is the Flyers and I found out that you can't watch your home teams because big brother cable knows if you are able to watch local Teams, you would cut the cable TV!
Why all that campaign money, they are freely aloud to give, thanks to corruption,would not be allowed to work for them!
So! like a good little serif, I went back to my mud hut and paid my corruption tax with my cable bill.
post #47 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I have cable. I watch online sometimes. In my location there is no OTA (check my zipcode). Dish is an option that locally many turn to because the cable rates keep increasing, but I find the quality varies a lot. When I lived in a metro area I had OTA. Life is full of choices, but mine are only bad and worse. All cable is local and my cable company is small. I see the problems with Comcast, TWC, and I feel lucky.
post #48 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
2+ years cable-free here! OTA & Apple TV w/iTunes and Netflix provides more than enough viewing entertainment.

Couple of notes:

--I find it borderline criminal how Comcast *still* charges extra for basic HD signal and HD-capable converter boxes. They gotta a be partying like it's 1999 down in corporate!

--Kids and teenagers don't watch lame "TV shows" like we do thanks to a plethora of better choices available to them on the internet. (Gaming and podcast videos make up the bulk of my 12-year-old daughter's and her peers' video entertainment).

Whenever I switch from online entertainment to OTA programming, I find it amazing we still sometimes put up with the barrage of pharmaceutical ads and mediocre content. Old habits die hard I guess! :-)

//
sdg4vfx and jazzycat like this.

Jeff Perrin
Author - Surround Speaker Check app for tvOS and the new Apple TV
post #49 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPerrin View Post
2+ years cable-free here! OTA & Apple TV w/iTunes and Netflix provides more than enough viewing entertainment.

Couple of notes:

--I find it borderline criminal how Comcast *still* charges extra for basic HD signal and HD-capable converter boxes. They gotta a be partying like it's 1999 down in corporate!

--Kids and teenagers don't watch lame "TV shows" like we do thanks to a plethora of better choices available to them on the internet. (Gaming and podcast videos make up the bulk of my 12-year-old daughter's and her peers' video entertainment).

Whenever I switch from online entertainment to OTA programming, I find it amazing we still sometimes put up with the barrage of pharmaceutical ads and mediocre content. Old habits die hard I guess! :-)

//
I doubt it, like any other business in this century, their competing with a hundred different companies, and I'm sure the fees they charge are annoying but in their shoes they likely have no choice to stay alive. Consider, the cost of their goods and workers also rises every year. If there are fat cats any where it might be hollywood, or sports players. Its the nature of this terrible system we live in. All goods and services are sky-rocketing... and everyone is looking to cut the corner, or save a buck.
post #50 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Stopped watching TV over 30 years ago, and only recently got an antennae and Netflix for the family. I have found that there is still very little on TV worth watching. Personally, I prefer music and movies.
xvfx likes this.
post #51 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Best day of my life was tell Scumcast to shove it! 48 channels of OTA and the majority of the stations are pretty damn good...add in Fairpoint fiber Internet for $40 a month and I haven't looked back!
Steve Crowley and jazzycat like this.
post #52 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Back whan I had cable I only used it for the network connection. Now I only have a network connection, no cable, no aerials.

It is such a novelty to see advertisements when I visit friends as I can't remember the last time I saw one at home.
jazzycat likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #53 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:47 AM

post #54 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I did cord-cutting on and off through the 2000s. At the very beginning of the 2000s I was like many people who had all of the channels (all tiers + premiums) on DirecTV for about $100/mo. That seemed like a good deal at the time. Me and my family could watch anything we wanted. We have DirecTV TiVos at the time and could record the direct digital stream and it looked great.

A few things happened shortly after:

First, divorce hit. I had to cut back on costs so I could get through the crap years. That's a temporary thing. You may have a few crap years but you'll eventually recover.

The other things that happened, though:
- I started noticing we were going from dramas and comedies to reality TV.
- The price kept going up.
- What was left of the normal shows were pretty well canned stuff. "Let's pull another can of "comedy" off the shelf for show X. That'll satisfy them." It's mainly: zinger + laugh track.
- Channels that had any sort of theme left that theme for reality TV or reruns. Disney Channel morphed from being interesting and having great old Disney movies to being the Boy Meets World channel and, eventually, standard kid comedies (Suite Life of Zach and somebody nonsense). Other channels morphed from being something that their name implies to being reality TV. MTV? No music. History Channel: ALIENS! Discovery: random reality.
- The cableCard was a PITA to get setup if you had a TiVo (I went back to cable a few times).
- SDV made a lot of sense. The Tuning Adapter made that suck. I had to have this extra, ill-supported box that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't and often needed to be reset. It made the cableCard, which was reliable once you went through the pain of setting it up, unreliable. It just seemed like something you'd have to constantly screw with. "Stable" was if it went 2 weeks without screwing up to where you had to pull the plug to reset it.
- If you didn't go with TiVo + cableCard + Tuning Adapter you were stuck with the cable companies DVR which was always horrible. OnDemand - great concept ruined by horrible menus. This is the cable company's box. It should be a shining example of how they deliver content. It was always stuck 20 years in the past.

Like I said, I sort of went through on-again, off-again with cable TV and 2 years ago cut out cable TV and sold my TiVo. I've recently received specials from the cable company to add TV service to my internet only plan at $20/mo for 2 years. I actually considered it but stopped short because I don't believe it'll be $20/mo for 2 years. I bet, after all of the fees and BS that it'll be $25-40 by the time all is said and done. They even said, explicitly, that the HD DVR is included with this. I simply don't believe them. I've never seen them actually stick to these types of agreements and there's always some vague reason like, "Well, sir, that price doesn't include out $30 in fees.." So, no. The other reasons are that I know that once the 2 years is up that I'll be hit with some ridiculous price of $150/mo just for the basic tier of TV and I'll have to undo everything that's been done. Further, what am I going to watch? The Weather Channel has little to do with the weather. It's mostly reality TV (Storm Stories and other nonsense). If I want to check the weather I may as well stream WeatherNation (which is the weather 24/7) or just check my phone. Discovery, History, etc. have nothing to do with their channel names. Everything is reality nonsense now. What has anyone actually learned from Discovery or the like in any recent times?

The bottom line is that 15+ years ago I saw value in it. Now I see no value - not even $20 of value. It's just not there.
tortoise likes this.
post #55 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I don't see a choice that fits my situation. I use OTA for locals and the sub-channels, and I have Dish for certain channels that aren't available any other way (yet). If they keep raising prices a couple times a year though, Dish may get the boot and I will simply do without.
Steve Crowley and GLBright like this.
post #56 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPerrin View Post
I read they have to pay something like $5/box for the menu software. The providers don't write their own. Instead they rent from a service.
post #57 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm on Directv and Comcast 100 Mbps service and I pay about $150/mth for everything. Just dont see myself cutting the cord any time soon as my viewing habits are all over the place-HGTV, Food Network, Cartoon Network, Big 10 Sports, not to mention ESPN in all of its myriad forms, AMC or anything else that grabs my attention at the moment.

It's just more convenient for me to have it all running off the box, plus I already get close to hitting my monthly 300GB cap as is, just off Plex streaming and regular household internet use. If I went whole hog cordless, I'd be blowing through that cap on the regular.
post #58 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
I pay something like $250/month for FIOS. Not a big deal to me. We use it all the time. Much more convenient than using Netflix, etc... . And the picture quality is far superior.

I gave up my smart phone since it was costing over $100/month and I only used it to make phone calls. I hated the small screen for anything viewing related. I'm always near a computer which is far superior in every way to a phone. I switched to a bluetooth burner that connects to my car and costs about $100/year. I don't worry about losing or breaking it.
post #59 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 137
No cable/sat for at least 12 or 13 years. Honestly, the few things on it that I want to watch I get online at a later date. Plus running SageTV for OTA.

Even when I'm travelling for work, I'm more likely to plug a FireTV stick into the hotel TV and watch some Netflix or some stuff I brought with, than just flip through cable channels.
post #60 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
One of the main reasons I refuse to go back to satellite for myself is the $10 monthly charge they want for HD. If not, you'll get good old fashioned SD and it looks terrible through DTV. Like even worse than 480 SHOULD be. WTF?! Is this 1999? I thought HD was supposed to be standard by now?

With all the games that Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner and all the other goons play, I just can't stand to hand over more than a grand a year to them. It's annoying as it is that I have to use them for my rentals, but it's sadly necessary since it's a hospitality industry standard.

For those of you who just HAVE to have cable/sat, think of it this way. Let's say you have your home for the period of your 30 year mortgage, you pay the new national average of $123 per month, and let's pretend that it NEVER goes up again (and it will, time and time again). That would mean that you handed over (at least) $44,280 of your hard earned cash to scumbags like Comcast. Imagine if you cut the cord and put those savings in an average growth mutual fund! After those 30 years, you'd be doing quite well with that cash and could easily afford the home theater of your dreams! That's the way I look at it, and why I just can't go back. I'm loving my mostly ad-free life with TOTAL control over what I watch. I can think of far better ways to spend that nearly $1500 per year, primarily being new audio/video equipment! Hooray!
Shniks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page