Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 104 13.58%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 36 4.70%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 218 28.46%
No, I have cable service 221 28.85%
No, I have satellite service 144 18.80%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.44%
I watch no TV programming at all 32 4.18%
Voters: 766. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #61 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I cut the cord several years back. I get OTA reception for my local channels and if I want to see a movie or tv show, I go to Amazon prime as well as Netflix. The only drawback is live sports but that is ok with me.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Didn't really see an option to vote on as we still have cable, but only because combining cable and Internet is cheaper than just Internet. So, we have basic cable, no cable DVR box. Most of the year we never watch TV, only stream Netflix and Prime. We don't miss cable, and would happily tell Comcast to shove it if we had another Internet connection option that was constantly fast.

The only time we have watched cable in the last 3+ years is during March Madness as we are college basketball fans. I think I'm going to try OTA this year to see if we can get a better picture, as basic Comcast is awful through the crappy converter box. Had an awesome picture, and more channels, before that ****ty box had to be used.
Mikey Palmice likes this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #63 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Internet only.

When I first moved into my own place this past September I made the choice to go with internet only. With Amazon Prime and DVDs I am mostly covered. I did pick up an Antenna during the NFL Playoffs though. I couldn't help but have a few Playoff parties on the 103" screen. I found that I really enjoy PBS as well. It was a good 40 dollar investment even if I rarely use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The only thing I watch is HBO (and thousands of Blu-Rays) and we have a full Direct TV package. The only reason we have it is so my wife can watch all of the ridiculously over dramatized TV shows on weird channels. When TV can make drama from baking cupcakes... The world is over.... "And when we return.... will the cupcake survive....duuuuhhhh duuuuhhh duuuuuuuuuu".

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #65 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would love to drop Direct TV and save the money. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime, that we use a lot. My concern is not having ESPN for college football. If I could find a way to watch games live on espn through streaming with good quality, I would do it.

Does anyone know how to get espn games live through smart apps without having a cable or satellite?

Thanks
post #66 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I selected the cable vote, but I actually use a hybrid of cable & streaming on my htpc. As much as cord cutting intrigues me the reality is that my wife & I are too much of news junkies to give up CNN & Foxnews. Likewise with sports that are only available on cable.

If there was anyway to successfully livestream and record news & sports the decision to cut the cord would be easier.
post #67 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I cut the cord in 2007, 8 years and counting. I have three small children that I simply didn't want raised in a commercial media cycle where 20% of every hour is targeted advertising. They've grown up in a household without commercials their entire lives and the concept of commercials and not having video on demand is foreign to them. It's interesting because when we visit my in-laws house, who only have cable, they are frustrated by the fact they are forced to watch whatever is being presented to them at that time with regularly scheduled interruptions. It drives them nuts, as it should!

I grew up with incessant advertising in the 80's and 90's so it doesn't bother me, but it goes to show you how desensitized you get after long term exposure.

We have the following services:

1. Popcorn Hour A410 with 25 TB of content (Blu-Ray's, DVDs, Music, etc.)
2. Netflix, Amazon VOD, HBO Now
3. Google Play (for purchase)

I watch sports at the bar with friends and family. Making it a regular habit has become much more socially enjoyable.

Overall it was the best thing I ever did with friends/family (not just pocketbook).

I get all of my news online via RSS feeds and updates to my mobile devices, NPR on the way to work in the morning. Most news isn't worth watching anyway.

I do find that I sometimes don't get references to commercials with friends or co-workers, but I could care less.
post #68 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
My wife and I are looking to ditch Dish after about 8 years of service. I still need to get off my butt and get a good OTA DVR solution in place... I just don't know which way to go. So yeah we have the scissors out... just need to get going and say goodbye.
post #69 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Bottom line the more competition the better off we will be, the limit choices we have had makes the pocket book lighter. I welcome the day that fiber hits my house and we start seeing more internet providers with better rates! "Hopefully" at a $145 bucks a month for 2 houses I am good with that, I will eventually go the streaming way but when you automate everything you loose jobs, so Blu-Ray still appeals to me as well.
post #70 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I don't watch TV programming at all save in passing - as in passing by some TV on my way somewhere etc.

I just watch Youtube and Twitch content, stuff of that nature is enough content to fill the free time I may have for such activities.
post #71 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
I still use Rogers Cable in Toronto, and use Apple TV sometimes for renting movies. I barely watch any TV, so cable is mostly for the rest of the family and their TV shows/sports etc.

The MAIN thing that makes me desire a world without cable TV is actually having to interact with the gawd-forsaken old technology user interface. I'm so used to just fast searches on my computer, iphone, ipad etc.
But when I have to use the cable remote to do anything it's brutal. The slow-as-molasses user interface, waiting for it to open up, the slow response to scrolling, being unable to just punch in the name of something I want to watch but instead awkwardly scrolling through whether I want to look through themes, or find the starting letter of the show, then scroll, scroll, scroll until the show appears, or not, and then go looking for it through the time schedule, then finding it, more clicks to record or watch it. It's like replacing our current wireless routers with dial up. I would love to kick that old crap to the curb.

Except I just don't watch enough TV personally to get me to bother.
post #72 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post
I cut the cord in 2007, 8 years and counting. I have three small children that I simply didn't want raised in a commercial media cycle where 20% of every hour is targeted advertising. They've grown up in a household without commercials their entire lives and the concept of commercials and not having video on demand is foreign to them. It's interesting because when we visit my in-laws house, who only have cable, they are frustrated by the fact they are forced to watch whatever is being presented to them at that time with regularly scheduled interruptions. It drives them nuts, as it should!
I commend you. I made a mistake of setting up an OTA antenna, so my son got a taste of commercials. Gonna un-program all the channels but PBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post
I've noticed that since I've cut the cord in favor of Netflix, and cut the radio in favor of PodCasts & Pandora [paid version], I have little tolerance for the vast number of ads that you must sit through in the traditional mediums.
+1.
Quote:
Nowadays, the only ads I encounter precede monetized YouTube videos!
AdBlock Plus.

By the way, I am surprised why there is no backlash against Google/YouTube retiring their API 2.x and instead switching to API 3.x. This left many owners of smart TVs and BD players high and dry. Google touts technical improvements in v. 3.x, but what they actually wanted is pushing ads: v. 2.x did not have ads, v. 3.x has them. So far you can skip them after 5 seconds, but there is nothing that prevents Google to remove skipping capability.

http://youtube-eng.blogspot.com/2014...-api-v3_4.html

Aside of bigger and brighter logo, there is nothing that is improved in v. 3.x from my point of view as consumer: it loads longer, it is buggy, it skips only in 10-second bites, there is no way of using standard remote control buttons for typing, there are no provisions for non-English letters. Pitiful! This does not look like a Google/YouTube product at all. Cheap piece of software junk, the sole reason for which is pushing ads.

I wish this topic got first-page attention here at AVS.
Dhalmo and jb442386 like this.

Last edited by Ungermann; 06-02-2015 at 09:54 AM.
post #73 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Liked: 1
I'v been OTA-only for 8 years now using a Tivo to time-shift. The major inconvenience of missing sports has been my only regret with this over the years. Fortunately, there is now a great solution for sports - Sling TV! I signed up the first day it was offered and have been loving it as a way to catch the live sports on ESPN/TBS/TNT. For $20 a month it is a reasonable cost to satisfy my moderate sports watching, and I plan to add on the $5 sports package for SEC network/etc during college football season.

For those in my situation who miss live sports on ESPN but don't want to pay $90/month to get it - give SlingTV a look.
post #74 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 10:27 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
bradm42: first posting, brand name, pricing. Thanks but no thanks.
Yeah, I joined AVS forum in 2007 just to hype SlingTV 8 years later...

Feel free to ignore if you'd like, but cutting the cord is just something I've always enjoyed talking about. Many other posters mentioned live sports as a reason to not cut the cord, and I thought it was worth mentioning what I have seen as a solution to my long time similar problem. I get no benefit if others sign up for this service.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #75 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post
I doubt it, like any other business in this century, their competing with a hundred different companies, and I'm sure the fees they charge are annoying but in their shoes they likely have no choice to stay alive. Consider, the cost of their goods and workers also rises every year. If there are fat cats any where it might be hollywood, or sports players. Its the nature of this terrible system we live in. All goods and services are sky-rocketing... and everyone is looking to cut the corner, or save a buck.
Are you kidding me? Comcast fighting to survive, yet they're buying large corporations like NBC/Universal, and even tried to merge with TWC, yeah that's a starving corporation right there. and no goods and services aren't sky rocketing at all. The very reason people pay inflated cable prices and fees because there is no competition on many parts of the US.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #76 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 AM

I cut the cord at the beginning of the year when my cable service increased my rate for the third time in a year. It went from $75/month for basic cable/internet to over $110. Also, they were passing fees from broadcasters ($5 month).

They were charging me $7/month for a cable modem leasing fee, up from $3/month, so I went out and bought my own modem for $50 and cut the $7/month charge.

Now, I only have 20Mbit internet access for $30/month, rabbit ears for local channels, netflix $8/month and the local library (which I suggest to everyone). The local library has all the new series shows, blu-rays and dvds for free. There is a waiting period so there is always Redbox to fill the gap.

In the summer we don't watch that much TV anyway, so it seemed like a waste paying $70/month for ads and garbage shows.

~Dan
-----------
Cleveland, OH
post #77 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanOmar View Post
I don't watch TV programming at all save in passing - as in passing by some TV on my way somewhere etc.

I just watch Youtube and Twitch content, stuff of that nature is enough content to fill the free time I may have for such activities.
You're right, lots of free content on Youtube and also the major networks. I hooked up a PC with a remote to my TV about 3 years ago and wondered why more people weren't doing this?

~Dan
-----------
Cleveland, OH
post #78 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I voted "Yes, I get all my TV over the air." However, I've NEVER had cable or satellite TV and I don't watch TV online. In fact, I very rarely (perhaps once or twice per year) watch over the air TV. 99.9% of my viewing is via BD or DVD.

- Joe
post #79 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post
I cut the cord several years back. I get OTA reception for my local channels and if I want to see a movie or tv show, I go to Amazon prime as well as Netflix. The only drawback is live sports but that is ok with me.
The loss of live sports is the worst part of cutting cable but if you have a Slingbox or OTA, you catch everything you need.

In Ohio, they occasionally have the local sports on special sports channels that you cannot get without cable. I say oh well and just catch the highlights on ESPN.com.

I could lease a Kia for what I paid per month for cable!

~Dan
-----------
Cleveland, OH
post #80 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 218
NEVER had cable or a pay service, never will... I'll go without before then... internet is too slow for streaming.

Even my HOA is removing all antennas as they are under the belief that TV is no longer available over the air....

See what brainwashing has done!
post #81 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
I used to keep cable just for the news - but since cutting the cord, I don't care about the news... and my days are slightly less depressing.
I can't stand the news anymore. It's all twitter TV nowadays as well as journalists and co don't even do their fact checking anymore. Relying on social media and we'll keep you updated as the story progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I'd rather not watch movies or TV programs at all if I had no choice but to sit through ads.

TV doesn't rot your brain, TV commercials do. It's garbage for your mind. Pure noise. LOUD noise too.

I watch plenty of shows, with zero commercials. Life is too short, and there are already plenty of ads everywhere you go, even if you use ad blockers and don't listen to commercial radio or cable TV, you are still getting bombarded with this mind-control all the time. It's amazing, I was driving around the other day and a huge car with bright LEDs was in front of me, showing some kind of power tool. It's so bright it could cause car accidents. Talk about obnoxious.

I have zero sympathy for ad revenue programs. Fight them as best you can. Cut the cord, cut the airwaves, cut the noise out of your life.
Reality TV and soaps will rot ones brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
One of the main reasons I refuse to go back to satellite for myself is the $10 monthly charge they want for HD. If not, you'll get good old fashioned SD and it looks terrible through DTV. Like even worse than 480 SHOULD be. WTF?! Is this 1999? I thought HD was supposed to be standard by now?
Heh! 240p Youtube.
post #82 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 544
I cut the cord in 2009, moving to the TiVo and antenna, as well as Hulu Plus, I've already been an Amazon Prime customer, and I use Vudu or iTunes for purchase/rentals.

I looked at my Season Pass recordings and realized there were only 2 that weren't on the broadcast networks, and they were both available on iTunes for $32 a season. I can keep up with my friends talking about them, plus I own them.

The money I save by not paying for cable or satellite anymore has paid for my season tickets for football and basketball. Away games generally involve a sports bar.

I'm still ahead.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread

Last edited by thrillcat; 06-02-2015 at 11:20 AM.
post #83 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
One of the main reasons I refuse to go back to satellite for myself is the $10 monthly charge they want for HD. If not, you'll get good old fashioned SD and it looks terrible through DTV. Like even worse than 480 SHOULD be. WTF?! Is this 1999? I thought HD was supposed to be standard by now?

With all the games that Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner and all the other goons play, I just can't stand to hand over more than a grand a year to them. It's annoying as it is that I have to use them for my rentals, but it's sadly necessary since it's a hospitality industry standard.

For those of you who just HAVE to have cable/sat, think of it this way. Let's say you have your home for the period of your 30 year mortgage, you pay the new national average of $123 per month, and let's pretend that it NEVER goes up again (and it will, time and time again). That would mean that you handed over (at least) $44,280 of your hard earned cash to scumbags like Comcast. Imagine if you cut the cord and put those savings in an average growth mutual fund! After those 30 years, you'd be doing quite well with that cash and could easily afford the home theater of your dreams! That's the way I look at it, and why I just can't go back. I'm loving my mostly ad-free life with TOTAL control over what I watch. I can think of far better ways to spend that nearly $1500 per year, primarily being new audio/video equipment! Hooray!

Kinda wondeing, so I'm 42 now. I cut all my cable/sarvice and save for 30 years, till I'm 72 to build that "Home Theater of my Dreams!!!", I mean provided I live to 72, and am in a position to enjoy that home theater..

All I'm saying is this analogy makes about as much sense as having a dog with balls of steel and no hind legs and naming him "Sparky" (actually, come to think of it, that makes hella sense, LOL)
post #84 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Are you kidding me? Comcast fighting to survive, yet they're buying large corporations like NBC/Universal, and even tried to merge with TWC, yeah that's a starving corporation right there. and no goods and services aren't sky rocketing at all. The very reason people pay inflated cable prices and fees because there is no competition on many parts of the US.
You don't get it... Think like a business owner. If there is a bit money in the 'till' or if you can borrow some, you need to see what you can do to buy out the competition. They still see the beginning of the end. "Inflated prices due to no competition" is false. Think of it: You pay more for everything. What don't you pay more for? Condo association fee... Taxes... Rent... Water... Electric. The only thing Comcast doesn't do is say, Oh your cable bill will be a flat $100 dollars. Instead they say it will be $40 dollars and the rest is in fees.

I realize this reasoning is not-popular. Because all normal people see is the fees that are on their cable bill. But what would you do if you are the company owner, just give everyone cable for $20/month? It's too late for that. If that would ever have worked.
post #85 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've actually gone the opposite direction!!

For years and years I only had internet, no TV at all. But Comcast kept increasing the price of their internet, and what started out as $55 became $85 over the course of 3 or 4 years. Late last year I finally got sick of it so I called them and told them that I wanted to cancel, that they were a complete rip-off. However, I said that if they offered me something more for what I was paying I might consider it, and that I might even pay slightly more.

So I went from 50 meg internet for $85 a month to 105 meg internet, X1, X1-DVR, HD, HBO, Streampix, etc, for $115 a month (including all fees and taxes).

We still basically don't watch any live TV but I do DVR a lot of sports, and shows on HBO.

We use our AppleTV for HBO GO, Netflix and Hulu Plus.

I have a Mac Mini HTPC with a 6TB HD for all my movies (viewed through a Plex Server).

And finally, a PS3 (set up as a device in the UK) for Sky GO, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, RTE Player, etc.

With HBO Now I no longer need Comcast for my HBO viewing, so if the price starts to go up again I'll probably tell them to bugger off and go back to an internet only package!!

Last edited by BeeBop1977; 06-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.
post #86 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post
All normal people see is the fees that are on their cable bill. But what would you do if you are the company owner, just give everyone cable for $20/month?
Oh, no, the starving cable companies would never do that. Instead they would hike your Internet-only bill from 55 to 67 bucks.
thrillcat likes this.
post #87 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBop1977 View Post
And finally, a PS3 (set up as a device in the UK) for Sky GO, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, RTE Player, etc.
You're a brave person wanting to view UK content. As it is mainly trash.
post #88 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I think the reason we don't see downward pressure on local prices from cable is precisely because of municipally sponsored monopolies. The introduction of fiber optic in many communities is cost prohibitive for the last mile and there are no government subsidies to support rollout like there was when cable first started. I'm hoping new technologies like mesh wifi networks with large throughput will put pressure on the cable companies.

On the other side of things, the real issue with cable companies buying networks and scrambling to merge to is compete for advertising dollars. There is a war going on between content producers, digital distribution, online, and traditional broadcasting and cable companies for advertising dollars. Part of this war is the negotiated price for content (movies, tv shows, etc.) that draws viewership against said ratings and associated advertising command prices. In the aggregate, cable companies are trying to gain leverage in a shrinking market as online digital distribution and advertising start to take hold, all the while hollywood starts to take notice. We are all just the pawns in the big boy pool.
post #89 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I was paying almost $ 210 per month to my good friends @ Comcast for a very basic package of internet, HD cable and telephone.

Now, I have the following:

1. 69.95 (no taxes or other fees) Comcast business class as ISP
  2. 6.95 Hulu Plus - almost all broadcast TV the following day instead of DVR
  3. 7.95 Netflix
  4. 8.25 Amazon Prime (99 per year / 12 months)
  5. 10.95 Wal-Mart Basic Talk (home phone service - I don't want to give up a land line)
  6. 0.00 28 channels of OTA of which I typically watch about 12 to 14
  7. 104.05 total (savings of $ 106.00 per month
When college football season arrives, I will probably add sling TV which gives you all of the various ESPN channels, Disney and ABC affiliates and about 20 other odds and ends and news channels for another $ 19.95 per month. There are no sports that I need to watch in the summer.

We also have a Blu-Ray/DVD catalog of nearly 1,000 movies if we get bored with what's being offered. We also both enjoy listening to music and have a dedicated stereo (no multi-channel for music) in our sunroom and a catalog of more than 1,000 CD's plus more than that downloaded to MP3.

I dumped cable nearly three years ago. I have no issue with Comcast and their fees. I simply felt there was a better way for me to spend my money. There was definitely a learning curve as we could not mindlessly surf 400 channels looking for something interesting to watch (there wasn't). With our current setup, it requires the thought to decide on something, then look it up either with a service or via the catalog of our own library (I am anal enough to keep spreadsheets of all of our video and audio so that we will know which binder to search for the proper media).

I am president of a Homeowner's association and have assisted some of our elderly residents in saving money by attempting to cut the cord. Most or sincerely afraid of doing it even though they live on fixed incomes and complain about high cable or satellite costs. However, those that do seem to take only a few weeks to make the adjustment and seem happier for the adjustment. Especially those that quite watching CNN or Fox news all day which seems to only leave them depressed.

David

David Freeman
post #90 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post
In the aggregate, cable companies are trying to gain leverage in a shrinking market as online digital distribution and advertising start to take hold, all the while hollywood starts to take notice. We are all just the pawns in the big boy pool.
Shrinking Market... was the key word. Cable companies are not raising their prices just for the fun of it. Remember when Netflix announced 'prices' were going to be raised, and the whole internet world raised a fit? Believe that's not the last time. The market for this stuff is so diversified... and their is so many options, that it is going to close in on itself. Someone mentioned that there was no competition in certain areas. Sometimes that is a better market, because than prices can be stabilized. Unfortunately now, this is a global economy, which nothing is stable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page