Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 104 13.61%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 36 4.71%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 217 28.40%
No, I have cable service 220 28.80%
No, I have satellite service 144 18.85%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.44%
I watch no TV programming at all 32 4.19%
Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #91 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post
You don't get it... Think like a business owner. If there is a bit money in the 'till' or if you can borrow some, you need to see what you can do to buy out the competition. They still see the beginning of the end. "Inflated prices due to no competition" is false. Think of it: You pay more for everything. What don't you pay more for? Condo association fee... Taxes... Rent... Water... Electric. The only thing Comcast doesn't do is say, Oh your cable bill will be a flat $100 dollars. Instead they say it will be $40 dollars and the rest is in fees.

I realize this reasoning is not-popular. Because all normal people see is the fees that are on their cable bill. But what would you do if you are the company owner, just give everyone cable for $20/month? It's too late for that. If that would ever have worked.
You either unaware of the state of the telecommunication industry in the US, or you live on the land of Oz, i"ll leave you to it.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
You either unaware of the state of the telecommunication industry in the US, or you live on the land of Oz, i"ll leave you to it.
I take it for what it is. Prices go up... Income in general stays flat. Don't blame an individual company for this problem. That is the name of the game, and this world. (Unless your in China, where income has been rising for a little while.)

One thing that was perhaps bad marketing on there part was perhaps the fee itemization based system. Because that left people so much fodder to complain about. If they just said:
Phone: $30
Cable: $40
Internet: $40
Total: $110

Perhaps they would get a lot less flack over stuff like: 'HD technology' fee. Or in my case I bought my own router, and saved $10 on a rental fee, which they used to charge me.
post #93 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I stopped paying and using "cable" in 2007. Now rarely do I even watch "TV Programming" and much rather enjoy movies.

A&E, Food Channel, Discovery, National Geographic and maybe one other were and still are my main interests...but I will not again purchase cable to watch them. Eight hours of the day i'm not home and even when I DVR'd I never got around to watching anyway.

Close to $1500 yearly basically giving it to the cable company...I can buy a lot of unnecessary but fun parts with that money for my little automobile collection which I happen to enjoy. Or I can use quite a bit or pick up a few BDs, or maybe even pick up some new cables, vinyl, an amp, hell maybe an upgraded processor...wait I've already done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have my Dish service on 'Pause' for $5.32 a month until NFL season starts in early September. I'll keep service through the NFL season, March Madness and the Masters...then, back to Pause.
post #95 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post
I have my Dish service on 'Pause' for $5.32 a month until NFL season starts in early September. I'll keep service through the NFL season, March Madness and the Masters...then, back to Pause.
Very good option for folks who like sports!
Mikey Palmice likes this.
post #96 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 533
It isn't just the ability to receive the games, it's the capability to freeze frame and study the action.
Very nice for baseball where there are challenges.
post #97 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Last fall, I got a Tivo Roamio, a Tivo Mini, and a Clearstream 2V antenna from Best Buy. I sub to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, and I am an Amazon Prime member. I have more to watch than I have time for.

Prior to cutting, I had Dish with an original Hopper and 1 Joey, HBO, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I still get almost everything I had before, but now for far less, and, most importantly, I am not paying a lot of money for channels I don't watch, ESPN being the most costly.

I will probably stop Hulu once John Stewart is over, as that is mostly what we watch there, other than a extremely rare case where the Tivo misses recording something, and Hulu happens to have it. It is more common that I would have to get the missed show from iTunes or Amazon, since Hulu often doesn't have exactly what I need. In any event, those circumstances are rare as the Tivo is so great. I only use my AppleTV these days for HBO Now and Hulu (Tivo Hulu app sucks). If HBO Now ever comes to Tivo, the AppleTV will only get used for screencasting.

In short, I am very happy with my decision to cut the cord, and it looks like things will only continue to improve.
post #98 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Most of the time when I turn on my TV I don't know what I'm going to end up watching. I enjoy channel surfing and watching whatever catches my interest in that moment. DirecTV makes that very easy for me. Plus I watch a lot of live sports as well. So it would take a big game changer to get me to cancel my service.

Though, I did downgrade to the cheapest service to save money.
post #99 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
You're a brave person wanting to view UK content. As it is mainly trash.
Formula 1 without commercial breaks on Sky and the BBC. The Premiership without moronic American commentators on Sky. A multitude of high-quality BBC shows. It may be 'mainly trash' but most of it is far superior to US television programming.
Ungermann likes this.
post #100 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
have no plans to cut the cord...love my FiOS Ultimate Package (although a bit pricey now)...streaming and tablet viewing is not for me...I need my big screen TV and 5.1 audio (plus Blu-ray)
streaming isn't limited to tablet? All of my streaming is in HD with 5.1 sound (from the US via VPN) and so is the over the air TV here in New Zealand. I watch it all on a 100" projector screen.
post #101 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
DirecTV has me hooked with NFL Sunday Ticket.
Same here.

Nabs17
post #102 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
I tell myself every month After paying my bill, I'm going to cut the cord and don't do it. I have it all Sat, high speed internet, Netflix, Vudu, Hulu plus, XBMC... 99% of my viewing are Blu-Ray, Netflix, and baseball LOL

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #103 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Many TV watchers have dumped their cable and/or satellite service in favor of online streaming and/or OTA. Are you among them?

Watching television used to be simple—you put an antenna on your roof or rabbit ears on your TV, and you had free access to a few local channels. Then came cable and satellite services, and the number of channels grew dramatically, though you have to pay an increasingly steep monthly fee for a selected package of channels. Now there's online streaming, and many consumers have discontinued their cable and/or satellite service and turned to the Internet for their television programming because of its inherently on-demand nature and often much lower cost.

How about you? Have you cut the cord to cable and/or satellite service in favor of online delivery (and perhaps free over-the-air terrestrial broadcasts for local channels)? Or does cable/satellite still provide something you value but can't get online, such as major sporting events and other live programming? What led you to your decision?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
I would pull the plug on Dish in a heartbeat, but our internet tops out a 4 megs and in a 30 minute period I can expect 2-4 episodes of service lag bad enough to deplete the buffers. I've tried a smart TV, Apple TV, Roku -- none buffers long enough to beat the lags. In any case I plan to use Oppo Bluray playback for a long time in the theater room. I have yet to see a streaming rig anywhere beat a good Bluray. Eventually that will happen, I just haven't seen it yet. For the record my internet comes via a fixed point wireless modem -- basically a cable delivery without the wires. Two new vendors creeping into the area delivering WISP service.

So eventually I'll get there.
post #104 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post
69.95 (no taxes or other fees) Comcast business class as ISP
What does it translate to in terms of data rate and data cap?
post #105 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I ditched my cable TV.. saving $1200/yr. I was previously using a Ceton InfiniTV4 with Comcast to all my HTPC's. I now watch all my shows online, and watch live sports from StreamHunter. For everything, I just use Emby Server + Emby Theater and the IPTV plugin. You can find all sorts of IPTV lists online to setup a shared config file for most TV channels streamed from all over the world.
post #106 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
You're a brave person wanting to view UK content. As it is mainly trash.
I think you are thinking of TLC.
post #107 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBop1977 View Post
Formula 1 without commercial breaks on Sky and the BBC. The Premiership without moronic American commentators on Sky. A multitude of high-quality BBC shows. It may be 'mainly trash' but most of it is far superior to US television programming.
Sky does have commercials, although they are somehow not as horrible as American ones, and the breaks themselves are shorter. Yep, BBC actuality programs beat their American counterparts every time. Funny that sometimes Discovery, BBC and whoever else shoot a doco together, but then either they author the source material each by themselves, or the post house they choose makes different versions supposedly according to tastes of audiences in different regions... But the American versions usually are shorter - to fit more ads - and the narrator's voice is booming authoritative God-like, which I cannot stand.

So, yes, British actuality shows are better than the American ones.
ncted likes this.
post #108 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Liked: 20
I have a data cap and find it almost impossible to cut the cable cord.
post #109 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I cut Dish in March after seeing how amazing OTA looks on my 4K TV. Wow! The image quality is so much better any satellite or cable service.
Will never go back to cable or sat now.

Last edited by doctorwizz; 06-02-2015 at 06:32 PM.
post #110 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBop1977 View Post
Sports aside, what high quality BBC shows?
post #111 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been on Directv Premium for about 3 years now. I also have Charter internet for $60/month.
Something will change for me soon, its getting too costly. Looks like I can save about $50-60 per month (after all 24 months promo's are done, more than $100 the first 12) by switching to Charter TV. Their upgraded system is really quite good.
However, I am going to wait and see what Apple comes out with, when they announce their talked about streaming channels packages.
post #112 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Between sports, the convenience of TiVo, and the relative cost-effectiveness of a bundle compared to just internet on Comcast, I'm not cutting any cord anytime soon. My viewing has shifted more and more away from cable, but there are still a few shows here and there that aren't available elsewhere. Oh and sports. And basketball. And sports.
post #113 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I would love to
but if you cut livesports...and HGTV and a few cable/satellite shows that I wanted to watch first run
Boardwork Empire...the Wire...True Blood..etc..etc..etc
I dont think I would even watch television any more

I would LOVE to save the money monthly...but honestly without them I might as well just sell my A/V gear

Warren
Sling TV would get you ESPN and ESPN 2, as well at HGTV, HBO Now will be expanding beyond Apple devices soon. no one service is going to have everything for some time. But you might be able to shave the cord a bit.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #114 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sports aside, what high quality BBC shows?
I wanted to name some of the shows I liked, but then found this: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...t-brian-sewell

Quote:
Anything they tackle that is intellectual, historical, biographical, cultural… It all turns into a travelogue of some kind. Whether it's Andrew Graham-Dixon on the Italian Renaissance or that rat-faced young man [Simon Reeve] wandering round Australia, it's the same, because this is what the BBC asks for. The channel controllers are of little education and no background. The editors are very technically clever but know nothing about the topic, so they fit everything to this comfortable format. We deserve better. It's patronising rubbish.
All those Simon Schama and David Starkey programmes inevitably turn into walking about and arm-waving. Poor Mary Beard, trundling around the ruins of Rome on a bicycle. Why? These devices even creep into news bulletins: some wretched reporter suddenly emerges from behind a car or tree and walks towards the camera. For God's sake, you have news to communicate. Stand still and tell us what it is. I don't want to be entertained, I want to be informed.
When the BBC is covering something serious, it shouldn't be afraid to be serious. It was scandalous when the National Gallery had that miraculous Leonardo Da Vinci exhibition last year. What did the BBC do? Give an hour-long programme to Fiona bloody Bruce. She gushed like a sixth-form girl, questioned nothing and none of us learned a thing.
What Michael Palin does, he does perfectly well but it isn't serious television. It's tomfoolery. He goes to Outer Mongolia and sleeps in a yurt, but you don't learn anything about Outer Mongolia's politics, economics, future or past. You're merely having an adventure holiday by proxy. It's unambitious and complacent.
[BBC] is terrified of being too intellectual. There's no debate, no critical discourse or differing viewpoints.
[BBC] could be 10 times better. The camera is a wonderful instrument for showing people things. It could work miracles in appreciation of the visual arts but it's never used properly. We get Waldemar Januszczak standing in front of a painting, looming at the camera like some kind of North Korean dictator, while you can see two square inches of Van Gogh behind him.
There. BBC factual TV sucks ;-)

Regarding what I enhanced in bold - sadly, most regular viewers want the opposite.
post #115 of 250 Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post
I've noticed that since I've cut the cord in favor of Netflix, and cut the radio in favor of PodCasts & Pandora [paid version], I have little tolerance for the vast number of ads that you must sit through in the traditional mediums.

Nowadays, the only ads I encounter precede monetized YouTube videos!
You can install free ad blocker addons for your browsers then you don't even see the youtube ads. I use Adblock Plus for Firefox.

post #116 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 03:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekiegeek View Post
streaming isn't limited to tablet? All of my streaming is in HD with 5.1 sound (from the US via VPN) and so is the over the air TV here in New Zealand. I watch it all on a 100" projector screen.
What service do you use to stream in 5.1? I realize the last time I investigated this stuff was a while ago.
post #117 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post
What service do you use to stream in 5.1? I realize the last time I investigated this stuff was a while ago.

Netflix
Vudu (7.1 on some titles)
Amazon Prime
Cinema Now

Pretty much all of them. Hulu is the only one I'm unsure of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #118 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Life is too short my friends. We have to enjoy everything when we are still alive. And always remember that we can't bring our money in heaven. Just a thought.
post #119 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I cut the cord in 2010. Everything is either online or OTA.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #120 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had cable until about 2 weeks ago. So far I don't miss it.

My cable provider (Brighthouse) isn't stupid. I was paying about $142/monthly for basic, extended basic, 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver, 1 converter, and 75MB internet. The break down according to the sales rep was about $70 for just internet and the rest was for cable. As soon as I got rid of the cable internet shot up to $90 w/ tax,etc. I was livid.

I also pay for Netflix ($7.99). I've tried HULU Plus and hated it.

So current monthly total is $97.99. That's total savings of $52.00.

I'd love to get SlingTV but that's another $20 plus $15 for HBO. It's not worth it. AND I'd have to get an XboxOne to use SlingTV (I know I can use another median to stream with but I'd something to have another game system)

I don't watch too much sports now since I don't live in my home area. I currently live in Orlando (central Florida) I'm born and raised in South Florida.. I love my Miami Dolphins and Miami Heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page