Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 104 13.61%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 36 4.71%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 217 28.40%
No, I have cable service 220 28.80%
No, I have satellite service 144 18.85%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.44%
I watch no TV programming at all 32 4.19%
Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #121 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have satellite but I needed an option for satellite mixed with over the air and Internet watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Netflix
Vudu (7.1 on some titles)
Amazon Prime
Cinema Now

Pretty much all of them. Hulu is the only one I'm unsure of.
Yes but that doesn't explain how you are hooked up to your AVR, to get it. Roku? SmartTV? XBox? Straight HDMI from computer? The latter then no.

About Hulu: See this thread: Hulu 5.1
post #123 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post
Yes but that doesn't explain how you are hooked up to your AVR, to get it. Roku? SmartTV? XBox? Straight HDMI from computer? The latter then no.

About Hulu: See this thread: Hulu 5.1

AppleTV - hdmi
TiVo - hdmi
BluRay Player - hdmi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
AppleTV - hdmi
TiVo - hdmi
BluRay Player - hdmi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This site explains more: comparison of audio and video capabilities
I suppose someday I might check something out in that genre... but for now I'll stick with what I have.

Oh it mentioned that Hulu is 2-ch only.

Last edited by robertkjr3d; 06-03-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: hulu
post #125 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Our family gets content via a combo of OTA (including two TiVos), Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. That's more than enough, though I do wish I could buy a few channels ala carte -- mainly a sports package for ESPN, Fox Sports One, etc.

We've never paid for cable/sat in 8 years of marriage, but we did get it for "free" for a while years ago when Comcast hadn't shut it off to the townhouse we lived in. Eventually they caught on and pulled the plug.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #126 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapsilog View Post
Life is too short my friends. We have to enjoy everything when we are still alive. And always remember that we can't bring our money in heaven. Just a thought.
Sure. Instead of travelling, taking an evening walk, hiking in a forest, swimming in a lake, and plain talking to your friends let us stare into telescreen. This is what life is meant to be.
Shniks and thrillcat like this.
post #127 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I wish I could, paying close to 20 dollars for three online subscription in addition to 120 dollar bill of verizon fios. Wishing how I can get ESPN, NFL network, CBS and FOX for me to make the switch. I just need those channels to get my NFL.
post #128 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Shoe View Post
I haven't cut the cord on my satellite service. And I won't for quite some time; I simply spend an overwhelming majority of my viewing time watching live sports. But I can understand why a lot of cord cutters want to get rid of their services, especially if they're not interested in sports.
Same here.
post #129 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
I wanted to name some of the shows I liked, but then found this: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...t-brian-sewell

There. BBC factual TV sucks ;-)

Regarding what I enhanced in bold - sadly, most regular viewers want the opposite.

Shows you how bad it is and what the UK nation is tuned into.

Mr.G likes this.
post #130 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
What does it translate to in terms of data rate and data cap?

Datarate is 20mps, more than adequate for streaming movies and doing home office type things. I don't game so this might not suit everyone. I am president of a HOA and our clubhouse has the higher Comcast business class of 100mps which certainly feels faster loading some web pages, some I can tell no difference. Zero difference at either location for streaming movies or televised content.

No data cap from Comcast in Memphis TN for either.

I switched to Business Class (anyone can by saying they have a home office) to avoid sharing bandwidth. With regular Comcast/Xfinity you may be paying for 100mps (I was) but you are sharing that bandwidth with everyone else from a specific group or area. At certain times (like prime time in the evening), everyone might be on streaming, gaming, viewing the internet and sometimes it would slow down so much that I might get a message from Amazon Prime or Netflix saying it could not load my content. Quite frustrating. With business class, I officially have a slower connection, but it is dedicated and I am not sharing it. It varies from about 18mps to 35mps when I have bothered to take a look. The difference is irrelevant to anything I ever do, so basically not worth caring about.

David Freeman
post #131 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
I love my cable, I use Tivo and can transfer shows from Tivo to my media player and save them forever. Have great Superbowl halftime performances and others from the Grammys. Things that are never released or aired again.
post #132 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Have been using OTA with my Tablo and Roku 3s throughout the house. Been cable/dish free for > 1 year. Don't miss it a bit.
Mo!
post #133 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My last day at Shaw is this Friday so I will be cutting the cord here soon.
It will be Nvidia Shield TV and Plex for me.
Internet is all you need.
post #134 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just high speed internet through my cable, no tv. Use Netflix and Blurays for my big screen. Got spoiled. Tried cable and couldn't stand the low quality picture with all the compression artifacts for the "hd" channels. Much happier with no flipping through channels (so annoying) and saving quite a bit of money. It also gives an excuse to go out to watch the occasional NFL game.

Getting ready for the jump into full-on theater build
post #135 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Many TV watchers have dumped their cable and/or satellite service in favor of online streaming and/or OTA. Are you among them?

Watching television used to be simple—you put an antenna on your roof or rabbit ears on your TV, and you had free access to a few local channels. Then came cable and satellite services, and the number of channels grew dramatically, though you have to pay an increasingly steep monthly fee for a selected package of channels. Now there's online streaming, and many consumers have discontinued their cable and/or satellite service and turned to the Internet for their television programming because of its inherently on-demand nature and often much lower cost.

How about you? Have you cut the cord to cable and/or satellite service in favor of online delivery (and perhaps free over-the-air terrestrial broadcasts for local channels)? Or does cable/satellite still provide something you value but can't get online, such as major sporting events and other live programming? What led you to your decision?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Many of my clients old and new are really starting to move forward and request apple tv, hulu, etc to be integrated into their systems. I definitely see the trend moving towards NO MORE CABLE!

JOE MATTERA
http://matteradesigninc.com
post #136 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have standard Cox Cable that is supplied to my building (I live in a high rise), and is part of the HOA fee. I get the basic OTA channels in HD, and the other 99 in SD. I primarily use Plex (Plex Media Server w/Plex Pass) on my Xbox One & PS3, with Netflix and HBOGO rounding out the other options. I recently purchased the Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx to use with Cox, but discovered that Cox scrambles the channels and even with QAM, the Mediasonic was not able to de-scramble all of the channels I 'normally' get. I do highly recommend the Mediasonic for those of you who use an OTA option for getting your content. You can record broadcasts, playback a variety of media and if you have the Xbox One and Kinect, you can use voice commands to navigate the channels. I haven't been able to ascertain whether or not the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner will properly decode the scrambled Cox channels, otherwise I'll have to augment my set-up with a hybrid of the basic cable and an OTA option, just for Xbox One integration... or I bite the bullet and pay for a HD receiver from Cox for a monthly fee.
post #137 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I read books..
post #138 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
Our family gets content via a combo of OTA (including two TiVos), Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. That's more than enough, though I do wish I could buy a few channels ala carte -- mainly a sports package for ESPN, Fox Sports One, etc.

We've never paid for cable/sat in 8 years of marriage, but we did get it for "free" for a while years ago when Comcast hadn't shut it off to the townhouse we lived in. Eventually they caught on and pulled the plug.
It seems like... So much effort and money is expended to cover what you don't get by cutting the cord. I'm not seeing much savings or advantage. If you start throwing money here and there, pretty soon haven't you spent just as much if not perhaps even more? After all you still have to have an internet service through Comcast or another provider anyway, to get those services.

Last edited by robertkjr3d; 06-03-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: expended. not expanded
post #139 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
What service do you use to stream in 5.1? I realize the last time I investigated this stuff was a while ago.
Netflix and Hulu via Apple TV.

Not sure you will get 5.1 via a browser but most set top streamers will.
post #140 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It seems like... So much effort and money is expended to cover what you don't get by cutting the cord. I'm not seeing much savings or advantage. If you start throwing money here and there, pretty soon haven't you spent just as much if not perhaps even more? After all you still have to have an internet service through Comcast or another provider anyway, to get those services.
Not sure about the US but in New Zealand a basic satellite package with no sport or movies is NZD$50

Netflix, hulu and a VPN service costs me around $35 per month and is on-demand and offers a lot more content. So yes a guess its comparable but I get more for a little less money.
post #141 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I had Verizon Fios and I loved the PQ but it was to expensive. Ended up going back to Direct TV and I honestly would not waste money on Time Warner, Charter or Comcast! I do not see the internet being a great alternative to dish although I keep entertaining the idea of getting Netflix because it is so cheap.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
post #142 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Sports aside, what high quality BBC shows?
Surely you're not serious? Sherlock, Call The Midwife, Top Gear, etc, etc. I could go on and on, but I won't. Also, some of the finest factual and documentary programs on TV, all with no commercial breaks!
cr671 likes this.
post #143 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I actually cut the cord today. Service terminates Friday. I'm terrified, LOL. Now that my Rangers are knocked out of the playoffs it's time to try this out. I have already been using an AppleTV with Showtime Anytime, Netlix and HBOgo. I am going to try an OTA antenna to see if I can get the locals that way.

I called today and cancelled my TV service with Time Warner and this is where I learned how much of a monopoly they are here. No FIOS. So basically I have one option for internet and it's Time Warner. At first they wanted $85 for 30mb service. I was able to get that down to $65 by packaging it with SD locals which I won't be using.

I noticed I wasn't watching much Cable or Local channels and pretty much just using Netflix, HBO, Youtube, Showtime and Itunes content. My issue is sports thought so we are going to see how it goes. It's the one thing that may get me back. But I have 5 months to experiment till hockey starts again. I have tried an NHL streaming service that worked decent, but I'm hoping it works better with the faster internet.

What would you guys say is the minimum internet speed you should use for cord cutting? I upgraded to 30mb, but they also have 20mb for $10 less
post #144 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBop1977 View Post
Surely you're not serious? Sherlock, Call The Midwife, Top Gear, etc, etc. I could go on and on, but I won't. Also, some of the finest factual and documentary programs on TV, all with no commercial breaks!
Oh dear. Clarkson and co are buffoons.
post #145 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
been a cord cutter since about 2000!! never really watched a lot when in college and as my fam grew (have 5 kids and one on the way) realized that tv really is just a crutch....i love the entertainment of a great movie in the home theater, enjoy my xbox games but other than that my kids are not watching anything of real value. i have an ota antenna on the tv in the fam room for the occasional pbs kids show and we do have netflix and amazon prime so we are covered with all our watching needs. i usually only watch hulu or tv shows on netflix/amazon when i am working in my office (dual screens) but movies - gaming, streaming and bd - in the home theater. my fios internet speeds are nice - usually 50 up and down.
post #146 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Well here is one more reason to cut the Chord! I think the cable companies have the FCC bent over a kitchen table!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ation-of-rates
post #147 of 250 Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I had cut out cable for a bit. My thinking was the few shows I actually watched I could purchase single episodes the day after they aired and be spending far less than I would with a monthly cable subscription. Then I missed all the fun Halloween and Christmas shows. And the lame shows you can't buy single episodes of like The Ultimate Fighter. (Don't judge! Haha.) I ended up getting Dish Network and cancelling it since now that I work at Comcast, I get free cable and internet anyways.

post #148 of 250 Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hav'nt had cable for over 10 years.was receiving digital OTA and analogue before the big switch.as long as i get my hockey and football,im happy.my girlfreind has cable and i even bought her the digital box for more options,and even with the box,the programs offered arnt worth the extra cost.
post #149 of 250 Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 308
No cable here. I get my news via the Internet since I prefer the non-bias of Fox, CNN, etc. For shows, I use Netflix, Amazon, and Plex. I can ususally find the .nzb file for most shows the day after they air. I upload all of the episodes to Plex so the family can enjoy them. I doubt I will ever go back. I am not a sports fan, so we don't miss live broadcasts.
post #150 of 250 Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
I get my news via the Internet since I prefer the non-bias of Fox
You're kidding, right?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement