Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service? - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 104 13.61%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 36 4.71%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 217 28.40%
No, I have cable service 220 28.80%
No, I have satellite service 144 18.85%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.44%
I watch no TV programming at all 32 4.19%
Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #241 of 250 Old 11-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdight View Post
Yep. After a decade of Charter/Spectrum having a monopoly in my area, the local electric company came out with a fairly priced fiber solution a few years ago. I now get 250 Mbps up/down for a flat $45 a month. I use Youtube TV and Netflix for my primary entertainment needs, substituted occasionally by Prime Video.
That's awesome. I wish that would happen where I live. The only option in my area that has high enough speeds is Optimum cable, which is ludicrous because I live in northern NJ (the most densely populated area in the country). You would think I would have numerous options to choose from, but alas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 11-13-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I've put together my theory on the relative value of various types of TV content, and broken them down into four categories, and I think it makes cord cutting so much clearer for others who might not get it, and it shows how out of whack the industry is.

I would break the digital cable lineup into three categories:

1. Local channels
2. The "in-between" channels
3. Premiums, mostly HBO and Showtime

Now, with the advent of cord-stacking, we have OTT SVOD services, primarily Netflix and Amazon, as well as Hulu, and now some specialty services. So we can add a fourth category to the digital cable lineup (not a crazy idea considering a lot of cable boxes now have Netflix as an app):

4. OTT SVOD

So, then we can break down by what they each cost, on a marginal basis. Of course there are a variety of pay TV packages, as well as internet bundles, but I'm considering a pretty fully featured DirecTV package here for my comparison, including 4 HD DVR boxes:

1. Free via OTA ($300 in capital invested for TiVo)
2. $120/mo
3. $15/mo (HBO)
4. $14/mo (Netflix, assume Prime is free after paying $99/yr for shipping)

Now, look at what percentage each of those categories is for someone's viewership. This could vary quite a bit, especially for big sports fans, and could change season to season. In my case, before cutting the cord, I would guesstimate:

1. 30%
2. 15%
3. 20%
4. 35%

Now, break down the relative costs of each, and you can see why cord cutting makes so much sense. Is 15% of my viewership worth more than quadruple the price of the other three combined? That's how I ended up cutting the cord. That was on top of the continued decline in good content over the past few years on those "in-between" channels. John Stewart. Stephen Colbert. Mythbusters. All gone.

This exercise might be useful in persuading people to cut the cord, or if people are trying to decide whether to cut the cord. I think the vast majority of people with pay tv would be shocked when you break their viewership down in this clear of a way, and look at the relative value of those "in-bewteen" channels.
post #243 of 250 Old 11-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdight View Post
Yep. After a decade of Charter/Spectrum having a monopoly in my area, the local electric company came out with a fairly priced fiber solution a few years ago. I now get 250 Mbps up/down for a flat $45 a month. I use Youtube TV and Netflix for my primary entertainment needs, substituted occasionally by Prime Video.

Oh wow. I'm always so smugly satisfied with my 330mbps down / 100 up, but I pay double that. I'd gladly give up ~80mbps to pay $45/month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 250 Old 11-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I officially dumped cable last Friday. I called them about reducing my package, which was costing me nearly $200 per month. I had every intention of keeping "digital starter plus" ($130)

Customer care then told me that pricing was only good with a 2 year contract. A contract for cable?!

I politely told her to cancel my cable. Im also now researching new ISPs. Xfinity can get lost.
Honestly, with the years of gouging, it truly felt good to tell them to get lost. It felt empowering. Yep, its the little things
post #245 of 250 Old 11-18-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
I pay $80 a month for 100m down from Comcast. Unless I sign a contract, it doesn't budge. ATT keeps sending me offers for fiber, but it still isn't here yet.

I haven't had cable/sat for years and don't really miss it. I do have a Sling subscription for $25 a month, which is more than enough.

OTA has always been good. I have had some issues with my CBS station's reception, but nothing major. I paid $200 or so for a Channel Master DVR and it has worked great. Sometimes I wish I would have kept my TIVO, but I kept the CM instead because of Sling.
BiggAW likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #246 of 250 Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
We still have cable service (TV and Internet/600Mbps) though we've whittled the number of TV channels. A variety of sports coverage in optimum PQ is a must for me.

Also, subscriptions for Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #247 of 250 Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I use both satellite TV and some online viewing too like Netflix and Amazon prime.
post #248 of 250 Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Tablo DVR + Netflix + Prime + subscription to MotoGP ($130/yr). Apart from the requisite internet, that's really all we do for TV. Just what we have is enough for a dizzying array of shows, movies etc. that I find no need for even more options.
post #249 of 250 Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I cut cable a few years ago. I have an HDHomeRun hooked up to an antenna and can watch local channels through that (shows up as a DLNA device on my Nvidia Shield and I can watch on the Roku by pulling up the Roku Media Player, then it shows as a DLNA device and I can tune channels). I have Amazon Prime, subscribe to Netflix and currently also to Hulu, but only because they had a special for 1 dollar a month for a year. I have a NAS and PlexPass and can DVR shows coming in from the HDHomeRun. I also do occasionally download content via newsgroups (you can use Sonarr to auto download season / new episodes) and watch via Plex. I pay about 70 per month for 100mbit down / 10mbit up, 15 for Netflix, 1 dollar a month for Hulu, 100 a year for Amazon Prime plus the one time plex pass (125 I paid at the time).
post #250 of 250 Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Currently have the following.

Dish Network
Had Netflix and will get it back once I am working as a direct hire!
Vudu & Movies Anywhere: Only using to back up my blu-ray and 4K blu-rays! Currently no cat6 cable going to my home theater so I can not access this with my HT anyway.
Will be adding a 4K Apple TV this year!
Might go back to having HBO and or Showtime this year?

Considering a NAS but not sure I want to invest in it and have to spend the time and effort into rippin all my content to a NAS?

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page