Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 104 13.61%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 36 4.71%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 217 28.40%
No, I have cable service 220 28.80%
No, I have satellite service 144 18.85%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.44%
I watch no TV programming at all 32 4.19%
Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #1 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?

Many TV watchers have dumped their cable and/or satellite service in favor of online streaming and/or OTA. Are you among them?

Watching television used to be simple—you put an antenna on your roof or rabbit ears on your TV, and you had free access to a few local channels. Then came cable and satellite services, and the number of channels grew dramatically, though you have to pay an increasingly steep monthly fee for a selected package of channels. Now there's online streaming, and many consumers have discontinued their cable and/or satellite service and turned to the Internet for their television programming because of its inherently on-demand nature and often much lower cost.

How about you? Have you cut the cord to cable and/or satellite service in favor of online delivery (and perhaps free over-the-air terrestrial broadcasts for local channels)? Or does cable/satellite still provide something you value but can't get online, such as major sporting events and other live programming? What led you to your decision?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
jhughy2010 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'd love to cut cable but trying to get everything from other sources in good quality just isn't possible for me yet.
post #3 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I stopped watching broadcast/cable television a few years ago. I will watch series on disc when episodes are released though. I found I just couldn't stand commercials even if I could time skip them. I have a large (1,000+) movie library however and my music and movies and physical media released episodes are sufficient. I like TV such as when I visit a friend, but feel no need for it at home. If I want mindless entertainment I will usually put a movie on or skip around a few movies enjoying my favorite scenes (I have an HTPC). Lucky for me, I'm not interested in sports.
dew42, NODES and jazzycat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
For the 6 or so channels that we watched, it wasn't worth the money anymore. We have lost the Food Network, which is where a few of our shows came from, but we have gained about $90 a month in savings.

And that's after paying for NetFlix etc over our internet connection.

However, if they bring in usage caps, then all bets are off...

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #5 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Like 7 years without satellite TV, not missing it a bit, I watch Youtube and from time to time OTA broadcasting.
Veeper and morbidcorpse like this.
post #6 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I picked cable service but what I actually have is an IPTV service. If it weren't for the wife and kids I'd just have Netflix and kodi.
rekbones likes this.
post #7 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked: 3801
have no plans to cut the cord...love my FiOS Ultimate Package (although a bit pricey now)...streaming and tablet viewing is not for me...I need my big screen TV and 5.1 audio (plus Blu-ray)
post #8 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I used to keep cable just for the news - but since cutting the cord, I don't care about the news... and my days are slightly less depressing.

It also helps that I hate sports, so I don't care about who will be in the Super Bowl, or brought up on racketeering charges.
dropzone7, Shniks, seggers and 1 others like this.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
post #9 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Hell no, I love my charter Hd & high speed internet! Id lose my mind without cable tv... No live sports, are you frickkin kiddin me...
post #10 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 72
DirecTV has me hooked with NFL Sunday Ticket.
post #11 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I would love to
but if you cut livesports...and HGTV and a few cable/satellite shows that I wanted to watch first run
Boardwork Empire...the Wire...True Blood..etc..etc..etc
I dont think I would even watch television any more

I would LOVE to save the money monthly...but honestly without them I might as well just sell my A/V gear

Warren
Karp and Bigham16 like this.

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #12 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 584
I've had various TV providers (Dish, AT&T Uverse, DirecTV) over the past few years, always with an HD DVR, a small or medium-sized channel package, plus (most of the time) one or more premium channels. Most of my viewing, though, was on the main broadcast networks (Fox, ABC, etc.) plus premium (mainly Showtime, some HBO). I ended up deciding that I actually prefer the combination of Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video to the basic cable channels, so I gave up DirecTV and bought a TiVo Roamio OTA with lifetime service. I think it's the best device on the market for combining free OTA TV with streaming. Now, in one unified box, I can record my local OTA channels (with slightly better HD picture quality than I got on any pay TV provider), plus watch movies and original series from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I still subscribe to Showtime and HBO and watch them solely through apps on my Apple TV box. (Hopefully those apps come to TiVo soon.) I have the TiVo connected to my receiver, so I still get 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. I actually still have very basic (SD-only, no DVR) TV service with AT&T Uverse -- it was bundled for free in with my internet when I signed up -- so that's how I'm able to subscribe to the premium channels. I actually like my set-up better now and I'm spending far less money.
post #13 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
With the money I save by not having cable/satellite, I can still catch all the games I'm REALLY interested in at the bar. Even with drinks and food, I still come out far ahead.

For non-sports, between Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube and my hard drives, I'm pretty well set. Overwhelmed with options in fact. I used to have cable, then DirecTV, and I was honestly happy with satellite, but now I can't imagine spending that kind of money again.

I actually do have DirecTV at a couple vacation rental properties that I manage, and every time I go over there to clean and work on the places, I put the TV on, and every time it reminds me of how much I hate watching (non-DVRd) TV. SO, SO MANY COMMERCIALS!!! It's like every 3 minutes. Commercials have gotten way out of hand. Sure, I wish I could watch Game of Thrones on HBO or Walking Dead as they come out, but I've been fine with waiting until their Blu-Ray or streaming releases and then straight up marathoning it.
thrillcat likes this.
post #14 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post
Lucky for me, I'm not interested in sports.
^^ This is why I will, for the foreseeable future, have a cable subscription. Couldn't handle not watching college football in the fall/winter, or March Madness. They've got me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post
(I have an HTPC).
Ditto. 2 setups in fact. A MythTV setup that's been going since 2006 that my wife still records shows on in SD (yep, they still deliver analog SD here in Brighthouse land) and a Win7 WMC setup that I use as my daily driver. Once WMC is really dead this will have to go away, but I'll drive it 'till it dies:

Steve Crowley and khackshaw like this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #15 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
When OTA finally got their stuff right, i said goodbye to cable, but kept XFINITY® Internet. I love my Extreme 150 speeds with them, most late nights it's closer to 180, even in peak hours i still get 150-160 speeds.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #16 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Watching Apple, but nothing still agreed upon for summertime availability, maybe by Fall against IPTV.

Oppo Beta Group
post #17 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
They want $1,680 a year for the six channels my wife and I want to watch. We'll stick to Netflix, blurays, YouTube, and a few other online videos. Streaming has better picture and audio than my old cable package too.
Dhalmo, djenzo and planetbrian777 like this.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
post #18 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I am a slight demographic outlier, in that I am a "cord-never," at least since I moved to Los Angeles in 1999. Always living in areas with at least decent reception, I've lived on a diet of OTA (time-shifted via VCR) and purchased/rented physical media. The transition to DTV broadcast and high-speed internet has made things even better, with time-shifting done via Tivo and Netflix Streaming & Amazon Prime Instant Video supplementing physical media. Money saved on cable TV bills gets allocated to movie tickets!
post #19 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The poll doesn't have an option for me, I cut the cord a little over a decade ago and watch all my television programming on disc (DVD at first and now Blu-ray and soon to be UHD Blu-ray). I don't get any of my television programming from cable, satellite, over the air or online.
post #20 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I haven't dropped my satellite service completely. I weighed the option of getting a TiVo Roamio and NOT being able to do BOTH OTA and take advantage of my cable company's lifeline cable channels that come with the broadband service was a show-stopper for me. I have an old TiVo HD DVR that does both but the one tuner available for OTA is a big limitation. Instead of paying TiVo $14 a month for a guide, I decided to keep the Dish DVR and get a handful of channels for $30 a month. This allows me to record both OTA and satellite at the same time. I use a Roku 3 and Oppo BDP for local and Amazon Prime streaming. My total expense for entertainment is still $82 a month plus $100 a year for Prime. Since TiVo is pretty-much the only game in town when it comes to simple, working OTA DVR, there is really no incentive to improve their technology or offer a 4 tuner OTA+Cable solution.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #21 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I dropped Dish because of it's poor value, poor quality and because I simply wasn't using it. I don't have time in the fall to catch new TV shows. I don't have time during the broadcast season to watch all the broadcast shows I want to watch.

I found that I was:
1. Buying shows on Blu-ray
2. Waiting for them to come to Netflix on BD or SD DVD.
3. Binge viewing when I had the time.

It was a fairly easy decision and so far I've saved well over $1200, and enjoyed the shows I want to watch in higher quality.

For the one or two shows I want and can watch in near real time I use Vudu.

Cheers,
djenzo likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 06-02-2015 at 03:43 AM.
post #22 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
No Cable, no Satellite for the last twenty years plus. ...Just hydro and phone cables, and I don't need the phone cable. ...Electricity; and I should make my own solar panels and wind turbines, and have my own stack of rechargeable batteries, and generator for the dark days and without wind (non-pollution liquid hydrogen).

For visual entertainment: Blu-ray and WWW (World Wide Web).
Steve Crowley and jazzycat like this.
post #23 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have been through this several times. I cut the cord and come back. Recently I have been just switching providers every 1-2 years depending on what he contract calls and which best promo rate I can get. Still stream from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, but have to get my sports fix as well. I went about 3 years without cable or satellite. 2007 to 2010, I had an OTA HTPC and Netflix. I did not stream much, just series on disc, and what I could record OTA. Then was off and on for about 3 years, Got sucked back in more permanently when my wife was on maternity leave, and we started watching Breaking Bad, Walking Dead on Netflix. Once we caught up with the current season, we had to get satellite and keep going. Now we are really into Game of Thrones and Homeland. Maybe when the current contract is up, we will consider cutting the cable again.
post #24 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have cable. After adding up all the individual streaming services I would need, it was cheaper to just keep cable.
KidHorn likes this.
post #25 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
I'd rather not watch movies or TV programs at all if I had no choice but to sit through ads.

TV doesn't rot your brain, TV commercials do. It's garbage for your mind. Pure noise. LOUD noise too.

I watch plenty of shows, with zero commercials. Life is too short, and there are already plenty of ads everywhere you go, even if you use ad blockers and don't listen to commercial radio or cable TV, you are still getting bombarded with this mind-control all the time. It's amazing, I was driving around the other day and a huge car with bright LEDs was in front of me, showing some kind of power tool. It's so bright it could cause car accidents. Talk about obnoxious.

I have zero sympathy for ad revenue programs. Fight them as best you can. Cut the cord, cut the airwaves, cut the noise out of your life.
post #26 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 860
I have DirecTV, just curious on how people are going to save money cutting the chord as I find streaming services even more expensive. I have a Friend who has a RoKu 3, now if he rents his favorite shows or pays for a service in order to get the shows the guy ends up paying more than I do for his subscriptions. The individualized pay per play just seems like we are going to spend a lot more money and now with 4K coming sooner than later to the masses, I think Fiber Optic lines will be the only good choice. I also have an over the air HD antenna, the good old days when it was free and the advertisers where flipping for the bill, now they still get their money but they are digging into our pockets more. They need to deregulate the industry and get their collective heads out of their (|)s! The rates that customers are paying for what should be free, yes I said free is ridiculous. Now I can see paying for PayPer View or channels that don't run ads, but they need to make it so a person can customize and not deal with all the BS. The problem is if I want lets say Game of Thrones or another show in HD, its going to cost me $20-$30 bucks a year and if you ad up lets say 6 shows $150 bucks on average, no thanks.

RLBURNSIDE: Well the good old internet is far worse than any Ads on TV, I welcome those over the BS ones on the Net where they track what your clicking on or watching to the point every time you pull up a different web page you see an item you where thinking about buying. In my case a new treadmill. Now everywhere I go for the last frickin month I see a Treadmill Ad even on here and Wayfair BS because my wife used my account to check furniture out... LOL The net and Facebook/Google etc.. just have way too much information about buying habits these days, I welcome TV ads at lest I can fast forward them. Trying to hid all the ones on here just causes my browser to go haywire!

Last edited by Garman; 06-01-2015 at 08:10 PM.
post #27 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
have no plans to cut the cord...love my FiOS Ultimate Package (although a bit pricey now)...streaming and tablet viewing is not for me...I need my big screen TV and 5.1 audio (plus Blu-ray)
^Exactly how I feel, plus by the time I add up internet and all the streaming services it starts to add up.
post #28 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
RLBURNSIDE: Well the good old internet is far worse than any Ads on TV, I welcome those over the BS ones on the Net where they track what your clicking on or watching to the point every time you pull up a different web page you see an item you where thinking about buying. In my case a new treadmill. Now everywhere I go for the last frickin month I see a Treadmill Ad even on here and Wayfair BS because my wife used my account to check furniture out... LOL The net and Facebook/Google etc.. just have way too much information about buying habits these days, I welcome TV ads at lest I can fast forward them. Trying to hid all the ones on here just causes my browser to go haywire!
You do realize that you can disable all that tracking and stuff if you really want to, right?
post #29 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 200
No cable/satellite for over a year! Only thing I miss sometimes is sports - but for the savings I can live with what I have online/OTA.

Considering TIVO for DVR convenience with OTA (sports broadcasts, CBS) and PPV, but still on the fence ...

HBO-NOW is a welcome online addition. I'm thinking I'll sign up for it for 3 months out of each year during Game Of Thrones, and to catch up on any other HBO series or recently released movies that look interesting.
jazzycat likes this.
post #30 of 250 Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Have Cablevision, Fios, a 7 foot OTA antenna in the attic and a 10 foot Orbitron SX-10 satellite dish on a 25 foot pole.
I like having access to everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page