Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store?
Exclusively online 98 23.67%
Mostly online, some in-store 162 39.13%
About equally online and in-store 60 14.49%
Mostly in-store, some online 78 18.84%
Exclusively in-store 16 3.86%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 984
AVS Store is my one stop shopping network! Great advice always..........

If they don't have what I want/ need...............lots of friends on AVS forum lead me in right direction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 4000 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Where do you buy Yamaha AVRs in Canada - seemed to have disappeared?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #33 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
I voted "equally", but prefer locally.

I'd prefer to purchase my big ticket items at a local retailer but end up making about half my purchases online. Then there's the grey area purchases, I purchase from a local retailer, audition local, but because they're across town and most of what I get is special order they end up drop shipping my final purchase.

I made my last TV purchase at Magnolia Hi-Fi around the time there were being bought out by Best Buy, I don't know how I'm going to purchase my next TV. It will be an interesting challenge since all the real Magnolia stores appear to be gone now. I'll have to visit Seattle's AV Hi-Fi district and see what's left.

In lieu of being able to audition in person I tend to simply stick with the same brand, which is sad since I like to use/try different equipment.

Instead of retail stores for auditioning communities like AVS are becoming more important for the input of others and for the possibility of auditioning.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 06-09-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM
CSO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i am trying to save for my kids' college funds. Buying expensive AV gear is completely out of the question. Our household has 1 TV (no cable programming), 1 AV receiver (purchased used), and some other old hi fi gear. The TV is approaching 10 years old, but replacing it is out of the question. I wouldn't think of buying anything,but especially would not buy locally due to cost and poor price.

Last edited by CSO; 06-08-2015 at 06:59 PM.
post #35 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 504
I do heavy research online. Then shop multiple retail outlets for the best deals. If no deals can be had; I'll buy online as a last resort.
post #36 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
3 TV 1080P from Best Buy Toshiba,LG, Sammy Plasma, new
LG sound bar Best Buy

Sony TV on line new

Bose 301 speakers for workshop Best buy new

media wif Fi receiver/player for work shop best buy new
Sony DVD for work shop NewEgg new

Sony 2 ch stereo receiver new for workshop new

H.P. Amp/ DAC ......Schiit company new on line

2 Roku on line new

HP PC and screen and printer all in one at Fry's new new

HP PC and screen Best Buy new

HP PC CTO (configured to order ) H.P. direct new in line

^^^ New Screen New Egg in line

CTO business DELL PC , Dell Direct on line

^^^ new screen New Egg

Headless NAS parts ,OS, + storage New Egg in line

PC screen Office max

PC screen Frys

5.1 Sony ES AVR +speakers + Sony ES SACD/DVD new Magnolia @ Best Buy

40" 1080p Insignia for a DAW in studio . Best Buy

Parts for fully equipped digital studio ,6 speakers 2 Subs ,phones and synths HDWE ,Mikes,stands amps cabling , including a Crown XTi 800wpc amp and a Behringer A500 emergency spare amp and *some* acoustical yadda yaada on line .

^^^^^Musicians friends ,Broadcast Supply Wherehouse,Meyers Sound ,B&M photo ,etc . all on line

Tons of commercial studio software inc. DAW's ,sound editors ,emulators 1000's of VST plug ins on line .

PC upgrades /software ,parts peripherals etc etc various on line lot's to play with and more than listed here

I just get in the way there or fix things or software or listen to ear candy when its not busy

PS3 Frys new

Sim/game chair (wheel ,pedals /shifter stand on line .

Logitech G25 wheel ,pedals /shifter Amazon online

Sony DVD player Amazon

2 leather executive office chairs Staples new

2 executive office desk ensembles Stables new

4800w of amps ,speakers ,subs , 250 amp alt. etc .for truck online
^^
Crutch-field and other .

multi camera wireless security cams and display /recorder New Egg on line

Short wave am/fm Grundig large table top Field Radio Amazon online

This is *most of * what is currently in use here aside from misc peripherals power strips,conditioners etc .etc lot's to play with .

PC 's and everything here including the studio stuff and aside furniture ,cameras and the office jet 3 in one does *some media /content* /game/sim use/ or related work in addition to lt. office work on 2 PC .

Aside from one synth KB and 1 CPU and 1 Roku,1 PC return/exg on line all smooth they paid ret. ship no problems or damaged goods with on line purchases and in majority of on line purchases result was substantial saving AND :

( significant tax savings keeping money out wasteful pockets and they hands out mine .............my plan to reduce waste.☻.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-09-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #37 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I got my latest bluray player online, speaker wire and my vizio 4k but my Mitsu 82", sharp 70, paradigm and anthem stuff I got in store. Little things like amazon fire tv obviously came from amazon and my rou came from bestbuy price matching amazon. My older bluray players came from stores.
post #38 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I like buying from Internet direct companies. You can talk to the actual creators and they can best guide you on your purchase. I wouldn't do it any other way.
morbidcorpse likes this.
post #39 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Buying AV equipment used to mean going to a store, but no longer. Do you buy your gear online, or do you still visit a physical store?

As most audio/video enthusiasts know, brick-and-mortar AV stores are on the decline, while online retailers are becoming the outlet of choice for everything from TVs, source devices, and AV receivers to speakers and cables. Of course, online buying is the ultimate in convenience, but it offers nowhere local to go for service. Also, a store provides at least the possibility of seeing and hearing a demo before you buy, though TV demos in big-box stores are typically useless because the TVs are not set up properly and the environment is nothing like any room in a home. Also, unless the store has a acoustically reasonable audition room, there's no hope of getting a good audio demo, either.

This leads me to wonder about where you buy your AV gear—online or at physical stores? Are there certain items you buy online but others you prefer to purchase in a store? What leads you to your decisions in this regard?
Scott, you forgot to add an option for USED!

Audio Forum Classifieds

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/index.html

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/classifieds.php

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...-your-gear.37/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/classifieds/

Used Audio Websites

http://app.audiogon.com

http://audiomart.com/high-end-audio-for-sale

http://www.usaudiomart.com

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com

http://www.recycledaudio.com/stuff.html

http://www.audioconsultants.com/usedequipment.aspx

Vintage Gear Exchanges

http://www.audioclassics.com

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/hi-fi_.htm

http://www.playitagainsam.com

http://soundsclassic.com

http://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com

Dealer Used Gear - Search Engine

http://audiofederation.com/audiophil...demo-equipment
dnoonie likes this.

Last edited by Peterc613; 06-08-2015 at 07:23 PM.
post #40 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
buy in store... where? Best Buy is the only B&M electronics store left right? And they don't carry anything that I am interested in purchasing, A/V-wise.
Okay, I do like to peruse Fry's when I visit Texas, but I've never really bought much there. Perhaps if it wasn't 6 hours away, I might actually buy gear from there.
Online is basically my only choice, period.
+1 - there is no store within 200+ miles of me that carries anything that I would want, they are all gone now. There used to be a "local" store and a "Good Guys" - they are both gone. I would probably buy a lot more at local stores if there were some. I have actually purchased high-end audio while on vacation to a big city that had real audio stores! This should have been one of the options on the survey.

I bought my TV locally because Best Buy had the model that I wanted for a fair price - it is the only A/V store left and a TV is the only thing in the store that I would want in my system.
tubetwister likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 06-08-2015 at 08:15 PM.
post #41 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Mostly online but if I shop "in store" I order online from Best Buy and do it ship to store so I don't have to talk with their sales guys.
tubetwister likes this.
post #42 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I'm a convert to buying online. For speakers/subwoofers I'm convinced that there are numerous Internet direct companies selling at a fraction of the price as equivalent retail products. And while I don't think listening to a speaker before buying is a bad idea, I also doubt a listener can really glean that much in an room so different than one's listening room. Buying from an ID manufacturer allows one to listen in ones own home for an extended period and then send back if not satisfied (some manufactures don't even charge return shipping).

For receivers, I'm so impressed with the deals on refurbished stuff that I also feel online is the way to go.

The only thing I've bought at Best Buy recently was a new TV. I like the idea that if the TV is defective--not so unusual--I can immediately trade it in. Also, they price match, so I got the Sam's Ckub price at Best Buy.
post #43 of 120 Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
I'm about half and half.

Some things, like TV's and speakers, I want to see and hear first. These items are somewhat fragile and can be mistreated by previous owners, so I buy new. If the store has the items in stock, and is willing to deal a little bit I'll usually buy it there. Plus, especially TV's have high enough failure rates that having local recourse is advantageous.

Other things like amps, cables, media players etc, I hunt for deals online, and these items are often used gear.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #44 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
I almost always buy online. But I always start in store. I go into the store before doing any research. I want the salesman to teach me about the products. If he can give me confidence that he has a real understanding of the product options and tradeoffs and that he's really leading me toward the product that's best for me, I'll buy it. I won't even check prices online first; I'll buy it then and there. 98% of the time, he can't answer my questions or give me confidence that he has real understanding. So I go do my own research and buy online.

I can only think of once that the salesman really impressed me. I bought the product right then. I checked online afterwards, and I could have gotten it 30% cheaper. I didn't take it back. He had saved me the effort of doing my own research, and I was happy to compensate him and his store for it. I'd spend a lot more money and a lot less time on my purchases if there were more salesmen like that.
Well, you know those salesmen make like less than $10/h so all the technological people who would love to explain the TV to you are working better jobs typically, so yeah they usually don't know about the TV they are selling other than the store demo that upepr management trained them on.

Oh yeah, even the TV manufacturer who you call have no idea about the TV either, it's hopeless.

The people who are enthusiasts like myself would rather work in network administration or upper level IT than in a brick and mortar store because you get so much more money... to bad its so boring.
post #45 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I tend to demo in store, and then buy online. But with best buys new price matching of online retailers, I do occasionally buy in store. Only problem is tax, and their reluctance to price match the smaller online retailers (like CP or VE).

Best Buy Magnolia employees are on commission, so they are making a lot more than $10/hr if they are good salesman. The non magnolia people get screwed.

Sony XBR-75Z9D + Samsung 78JS9500 + LG 65OLEDC6P + 55EC9300 + 55EA8800 OLED
Denon X5200W + Integral + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX/FX2/4 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Denon X6300h + Oppo BDP-103D + Xbox One S
Monitor Audio Silver 10's + Silver Center + CP-CT380's + 2x HSU ULS-15 MK2
3.1 MartinLogan Motion 40/30 + Rhythmik FV15HP + Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D
post #46 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Payne View Post
The people who are enthusiasts like myself would rather work in network administration or upper level IT than in a brick and mortar store because you get so much more money... to bad its so boring.
Id rather not work at all of course, haha. But by far best way to make it in this life is working for yourself. Best thing I ever did was leave my $9 an hour job and start my own business. Now I make close to $9 a minute and get to work from home most days. Only took me 18 months to get there, but I got very lucky. Or am I just good at what I do? Probably both.

Sony XBR-75Z9D + Samsung 78JS9500 + LG 65OLEDC6P + 55EC9300 + 55EA8800 OLED
Denon X5200W + Integral + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX/FX2/4 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Denon X6300h + Oppo BDP-103D + Xbox One S
Monitor Audio Silver 10's + Silver Center + CP-CT380's + 2x HSU ULS-15 MK2
3.1 MartinLogan Motion 40/30 + Rhythmik FV15HP + Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D
post #47 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Virtually none of the gear I buy is sold online, so that throws my answer off.
post #48 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Payne View Post
they usually don't know about the TV they are selling other than the store demo that upepr management trained them on.

Oh yeah, even the TV manufacturer who you call have no idea about the TV either, it's hopeless.
We weren't there to sell television. We were there to sign you up for a rewards card, a credit card, and then sell you an extended warranty and installation. Selling the tv sets was a secondary concern.

The manufacturers had reps that came to the stores in the area to demo features to us and give us some selling tips. LG's was by FAR the most knowledgeable. He could break down exactly how it processed color, did the upconversion, etc compared to other brands. Panasonic's rep was pretty good. Sharp just hired marketing people to come in and set the thing to torch mode. The others were never really around.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #49 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 545
All my recent purchases have been online (speakers, sub, receiver). Most of them have been local retailers within driving distance, it's just so much more convenient buying online when you've already decided on what to get. Even my TV was purchased over the phone.
post #50 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
locals like best buy do not carry what i want and even if they did i cannot use the in person benefit since sound and usage are not accurate and the price is not worth the bother. tbh amazon prime and their return policy is top notch so i save money and have great service - i just need to do my own research.

Last edited by iamjason; 06-09-2015 at 06:42 AM.
post #51 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I'm all about helping out the local economy so I make my purchases locally. I'm fortunate enough to have B&M stores for everything I can need so that's how I make my purchases. Also helps that I can just run to the store to pick something up or take it back if I need too. I once bought a pair a speakers online because I couldn't hear them anywhere locally and they got rave reviews and impressions in reviews and forums. That was and will be the last time I'll ever do that. They went back after a few days and that's when I knew I could only trust my ears/eyes so I have to audition it in person or it's a no-go.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
post #52 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 136
On-line is my only realistic option.

The only local options are Walmart, Sam's Club, and BB. It is rare that they carry what I want, and their "help" in selecting products is worthless to me.

If I travel to other cities that have higher end dealers, few have any items actually in stock. They order from their distributor, just like I would from an on-line dealer. Of course, their prices are higher, due to the fact that they have to pay retail rent, pay employees, etc.

Add in sales tax on a larger purchase and you soon discover why most of the local retailers have gone out of business. Best Buy and Circuit City may have hurt them, but the Internet dealt the death blow.

To those retailers that play the "gotcha" game with warranties, I avoid them. If I need one of them (I can't see why I would) I could always factor in the price of a third party warranty and still beat the store prices + tax.
post #53 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isble View Post
If you are going to shop at a big-box store, you may as well shop online first. The stores will often price-match.

As I upgrade my system over the years, I find that the big-box stores no longer carry the brands I am shopping for. I try to give my business to the local specialty stores, but will order online if there are no local dealers.
Best Buy will match-all you need do is walk in with your phone and the item price. Disadvantage: In NY state especially in my county-you avoid state/local taxes, local is 9%.
post #54 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
Id rather not work at all of course, haha. But by far best way to make it in this life is working for yourself. Best thing I ever did was leave my $9 an hour job and start my own business. Now I make close to $9 a minute and get to work from home most days. Only took me 18 months to get there, but I got very lucky. Or am I just good at what I do? Probably both.
Quote:
Now I make close to $9 a minute and get to work from home most days. Only took me 18 months to get there, but I got very lucky.
You working major part time and not making all that in the end or you got a string and a burgundy stretch or if not is it otherwise Legal?

BTW the investment bubble and virtually free money is really good while it lasts You got a Bloomberg terminal ?

I got Bloomberg up (or had it up the markets are closed now ) Just watching Bloomberg TV and Cavuto now !

OTOH the inevitable correction ain't gonna be fun at all

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-09-2015 at 01:07 PM.
post #55 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=Peterc613;34870673] Scott, you forgot to add an option for USED!

Looks like Pacific Stereo back in the day ................ Maybe Crazy Eddies also never been there

Crazy Eddie

post #56 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post

Most of thew gear I'd be interested in is not available at the big box stores like Frys or Best Buy. Magnolia has a limited range of product lines I might be interested in but their prices are full list and even their demo and used gear is expensive. Yesterday I stopped by Magnolia to look at their clearance room. They had a demo Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Genius Turntable with no cartridge, missing both counterweights, and no head shell leads/screws that people had taken when on a static display. It was marked at $499 and they weren't much interested in negotiating much of a discount (they said I could order the missing parts). Years ago, I worked my way through school at Pacific Stereo, Leo's Stereo and the Federated Group. We always offered people a discount off full MSRP to close the sale (but not at Magnolia).

We are lucky in Los Angeles to have about a dozen high end stores that have more product lines that I might be interested in. I try not to take up too much of their time when requesting a demo of a new piece of gear I've read about. We also have the LAOCAS audio society that meats each month at a different regional dealer where they demo selected gear for everyone at the GTG with manufacturer reps on hand to answer questions. Each of these stores take equipment in on trade-in. Plus they always have to sell their demo gear when manufacturers update or drop models. When I hear something I like, I wait for it to appear on trade-in. High end stores have limited space to display used gear, so as new trade-ins come in, they blow out stuff that's been sitting there for a while (you can get some great deals).

Most of the items I want to try out are not carried by any local shop and the only way to hear it is at an audio show (nothing sounds it's best in a small hotel room at an audio show) or to buy on-line without a live audition. While Magnaplanar and some ID manufacturers offer a return policy after a 30 day in-home audition, return shipping is usually not included and can get pricey for delicate planar speakers or heavy subwoofers. Again, your safest bet is to buy used at a fair price. Listen for as long as you want to decide if you want to keep it. If not, you can usually sell it for about what you paid for it. Shipping costs are a wash because you pay for shipping when you buy it and the buyer pays for shipping when you sell it (local sales shipping's not applicable).

The longer you wait, the better the price. The JVC projectors are a great example. Each year JVC revamps the product line. At first last year's model is available from dealers as demos at a slight discount. By the next year, when JVC changes again, the same projector selling as a customer trade for in even less. The same is true for used audio classifieds and websites. You might buy a REL subwoofer or Martin Logan Aeries speakers and be the third or fourth owner that's bought it on the web site. Each time it's resold the price drops a little lower. The trick with really expensive high end gear is to buy it when it's selling for a fraction of it's original price, but still has lots of reliable performance left. It's also a lot of fun, because you can watch the classifieds, check the prices on audiogon bluebook and save up for which piece of gear you're going to update next once you find a great deal. You can also avoid the lemon products like the Onkyo PR-SC5508 preamps by reading about long term user experience (after the 90-day/1-year warranty period). If everyone's having the same problem, it's no wonder they're selling so cheep in the classifieds.

http://bluebook.audiogon.com

Used gear also retains it's value (if you pick wisely) which allows you to make incremental upgrades as funds become available. Adcom GFA 555II amplifiers are a good example. In the early 1990's, I bought several used GFA 555II's for about $350-$450 each. Some I updated last year with new power supply and caps for my main speakers, and others are still in original condition for surround channels (and planned for tactile transducers). After 20 years I could still sell the original ones for $250-$350 each (a net cost of $10 per year for a legendary amplifier). The updated GFA 555II's I've seen in the classifieds are selling for more than what it cost me to update them. If I wanted to sell them and get a used Bryston 9B-SST, it would only cost ABOUT $150/channel to upgrade.

In terms of determining which items will retain their value, you can always check the used price graph in the audiogon bluebook. The marketplace votes with it's dollars. Items that don't sell well, don't have enough data points (sales) to have a graph. Items that re-sale easily will have a long history with many data points that show it retains it's value. Some items like the Oppo BDP-103 blue ray players are almost always sold within a few hours of being listed in the classifieds (usually for only $50 less than you can buy them new from Oppo). Even the BDP-93 and BDP-83 players sell for only about $100 off the original price within the first week.

Resale history can be misleading with flagship home theater processors. Very expensive models with impeccable audio electronics like Anthem, Bryston, Meridian, Lexicon, and Krell sell for a fortune when first introduced with the latest video switching and audio codex's. However as the Japanese brands (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, etc...) keep updating every year with the latest features, their resale value drops like a rock. It's not uncommon to see a processor that sold for over $10,000 new listed at $3,000 a couple years later. If you don't care about the latest codex, or are only using 5.1 channels in your system, you can buy a used Lexicon MC12, Lexicon NT-512 (rebadged Bryston 9BST), Oppo BDP-103 and an HDMI switcher to get fantastic sound for about $2,700. That's flagship audio performance at 80% off the original list price. Just put them all on a universal remote with a macro and you'll have the same convenience as new equipment with better build quality and much better sound.

Other items actually go up in value like Linn Sondek LP12 turntables or Quad ESL 57 electrostats. I owned both of them used in the mid 1970's, today it would cost 5 times more to buy back my old gear. Even more recently, a good example is Panasonic's ST60 and ZT60 plasma televisions. Introduced at $2,500 and $3,500 list in 2013, they were selling at about $2,199 $2,999 street price within a couple months. When Panasonic decided to discontinue plasma, I stopped by Paul's TV and Appliances where they were blowing out the discontinued ST60 new for $1,699 and the ZT60 new for $2,499 (store demos were $1,399 and $2,199). Today if you check on-line, a new-open-box (65") ST60 is about $3,595 and a new-in-box (65") ZT60 is $6,795.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...mv_size_name=2

https://fivestarbuy.com/panasonic-vi...7cTC_d_P65ZT60

Buying used gear is like waiting for a movie to come out on streaming video. With a little bit of patience, you can enjoy all the latest entertainment for a lot less money after a reasonable delay.
post #57 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Another thing about buying from actual stores is that the "advice" one gets from most audio salesmen is generally useless, IME. Of course there's the obvious junk science behind the speaker wire scams, but even beyond this I feel I was really led down some unfortunate paths by salesmen when I first started getting into this stuff. For example, every salesperson I've spoken to has promoted some variation of the "garbage in, garbage out" line of reasoning, which they use sell "audiophile" CD players that are in reality sonically identical to $50 Blu-ray players. And all salespeople I've spoken to have believed that "night and day" differences exist amongst amongst modern amplifiers, which is another position I've come to see as not standing up to scientific scrutiny. I prefer to think of these people as honestly deluded rather than con artists, but of course motivations vary.

So generally I love supporting actual businesses, but I've come to audio shops as places to avoid.
post #58 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Looks like Pacific Stereo back in the day ................ Maybe Crazy Eddies also never been there

Crazy Eddie

It's hard to believe that I worked at 1 Pacific Stereo, 1 Federated Group and 3 Leo's Stereo's to pay my way through college and grad school. At Federated, there was an Acapulco restaurant in the parking lot with $2 margaritas and Mexican buffet for Happy Hour. We always sold a lot more after 6 PM when everyone was fairly wasted. I also worked at a high end store for a time after graduation.

Back then almost everyone working at an A/V store was fairly passionate about music and the equipment. I still fondly remember those monster Japanese super receivers and turning up Pink Floyd as loud as the Altec, JBL and Cerwin Vega speakers would play. Today you walk into a Best Buy and the clerks don't know the difference between balanced and unbalanced connections.

Pacific Stereo

Federated Group

Leo's Stereo
http://www.retrojunk.com/commercial/...os-stereo-ad-1
http://www.retrojunk.com/commercial/...os-stereo-ad-2
http://www.retrojunk.com/commercial/...os-stereo-ad-4
http://www.retrojunk.com/commercial/...eo-stereo-ad-5
post #59 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 167
It's websites like AVS that allow me to buy mostly on the internet. I can come to AVS for excellent reviews and if I still have a question get them answered here in detail. It's the kind of information you cannot get in a store anymore. I rely on online reviews to buy things that best fit my needs and know that I can buy with confidence if a product gets high marks on AVS. All the items in my gear listed here were purchased online except the speakers. You have to listen if you can.
tubetwister likes this.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #60 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613

Most of the gear I'd be interested in is not available at the big box stores like Frys or Best Buy. Magnolia has a limited range of product lines I might be interested in but their prices are full list and even their demo and used gear is expensive. Yesterday I stopped by Magnolia to look at their clearance room. They had a demo Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Genius Turntable with no cartridge, missing both counterweights, and no head shell leads/screws that people had taken when on a static display. It was marked at $499 and they weren't much interested in negotiating much of a discount (they said I could order the missing parts). Years ago, I worked my way through school at Pacific Stereo, Leo's Stereo and the Federated Group. We always offered people a discount off full MSRP to close the sale (but not at Magnolia).
Quote:
It's hard to believe that I worked at 1 Pacific Stereo, 1 Federated Group and 3 Leo's Stereo's
^^^^ Real Stereo Stores

Nice Kenwood there those 9050's are real decent "silver monster receivers " IMO ! I also have an Pioneer SX 980 and SX1050 I rotate in occasionally just because I can both with re built power supplies ,bias checks and a deoxit therapy of course . ☻☻☺☺
They don't make them like those silver monsters anymore .

OTOH I'm not so much about Lexicon audiophool and never have been (or stuff like that)outside of McIntosh and a *few* others even more so
@ Lexicon since they got [busted] selling unmodified oppo ODD players in Lexicon case @ 10X price ...(inexcusable )........... I would RUN not walk away from anything Lexicon.
I use [real deal] studio pro gear and speakers /subs for music instead with better than than the usual audiophool results all in a dedicated studio /☻

Good post I was a long time customer of Pacific Stereo in Berkeley California and made frequent purchases there including a some of the Silver Pioneer recievers , new Phase Linear 700B 350wpc power amplifier and some large speaker systems and was never disappointed with the service and policies there .

IOW I get your comments about Best Buy/Magnolia diluted product line at the stores I've been in which for the most part is unimpressive .

IMO B.B Magnolia would not for the most part accommodate my audio preferences beyond a 5.1 ,X.1 collection for a TV setting aside an above that HT system out of their range AFAIK as is presumably my separate critical music system .

I always thought *some Circuit City and The Good Guys in general had a better range of product .

I make *important* audio purchases on line all new now aside from the fact quality used gear in the right condition can often be an excellent purchase .

OTOH I'm not about *any* media outside of BD beyond spinning hdd metal and lossless ip streaming /file transfers all that (old stuff) stuff is yesterdays news but I enjoy good vinyl that's true but I prefer it on loss less 16/44 digital needle drops or even more to by pass it and CD altogether with 24/41 studio master 1:1 replication files and frequently try to do that when practical .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-09-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page