Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store?
Exclusively online 98 23.67%
Mostly online, some in-store 162 39.13%
About equally online and in-store 60 14.49%
Mostly in-store, some online 78 18.84%
Exclusively in-store 16 3.86%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 120 Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
Another thing about buying from actual stores is that the "advice" one gets from most audio salesmen is generally useless, IME. Of course there's the obvious junk science behind the speaker wire scams, but even beyond this I feel I was really led down some unfortunate paths by salesmen when I first started getting into this stuff. For example, every salesperson I've spoken to has promoted some variation of the "garbage in, garbage out" line of reasoning, which they use sell "audiophile" CD players that are in reality sonically identical to $50 Blu-ray players. And all salespeople I've spoken to have believed that "night and day" differences exist amongst amongst modern amplifiers, which is another position I've come to see as not standing up to scientific scrutiny. I prefer to think of these people as honestly deluded rather than con artists, but of course motivations vary.

So generally I love supporting actual businesses, but I've come to audio shops as places to avoid.
^^^^^^ THAT ^^^^^is ALL Good ! and yes common ordinary ETF copper is fine and exotic cables or power cables of any kind outside of inexpensive adequate shielding (available in inexpensive product ) in signal cables are ridiculous despite the voodo audiophools opinions outside of the legitimate audiophiles that know better and fraudulent marketers .

Quote:
audiophile" CD players
^^^^^ IMO are totally ridiculous outside of an always real decent choice oppo at the top for more than*just audio reasons and the high priced ODD/appliances in Billet cases cant do anything outside an inexpensive BD reader/player can that a $15.00 ODD in a PC and a very modest DAC or sound device DSP/DAC can do or an inexpensive modern player like you said

[Some] stupid audiophools outside of legitimate audiophiles "think* they are [playing ] CD like a phonograhph record and don't know the ODD merely reads and error checks ones and zeros for transfer into volatile memory in the digital domain [before anything else happens ] and talk foolishly about non existant audible jitter below the lower nyquist rate on a good CD (they don't even know what it means half the time ) like they do now with 16/44vs hires in general nothing more stupid than an uniformed audiophool ,audiophool salesman or magazine reviewer /blogger

******* Back on topic I usually buy PC/ODD and all that including ODD CDR/DVD blanks on line *********at significant savings the Verbatim ODD media is excellent and they often make *same*thing with different paint job /package for *most more expensive premium names
morbidcorpse likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 12:37 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 03:34 AM
Senior Member
 
OneStepAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
locals like best buy do not carry what i want and even if they did i cannot use the in person benefit since sound and usage are not accurate and the price is not worth the bother. tbh amazon prime and their return policy is top notch so i save money and have great service - i just need to do my own research.
I don't think there is much of anything that a Best Buy Magnolia Design Center can't get. Plus they now price match online retailers as well as negotiate. Can't think of a time I was able to negotiate at Amazon. A regular Best Buy on the other hand...has nothing.

They also have a very nice listening room for high end audio gear.

Amazon isn't much better than a regular Best Buy when it comes to anything high end audio. Amazons return policy is ok, but not as good as the 45 day elite return window and you don't have to pay to ship it back.

Sony XBR-75Z9D + Samsung 78JS9500 + LG 65OLEDC6P + 55EC9300 + 55EA8800 OLED
Denon X5200W + Integral + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX/FX2/4 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Denon X6300h + Oppo BDP-103D + Xbox One S
Monitor Audio Silver 10's + Silver Center + CP-CT380's + 2x HSU ULS-15 MK2
3.1 MartinLogan Motion 40/30 + Rhythmik FV15HP + Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D

Last edited by OneStepAhead; 06-10-2015 at 03:38 AM.
OneStepAhead is offline  
post #63 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
david0406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Projector, screen, 3 AVR's, cabling, wires, streamers, tablets and various other electronic things online. TV's and BD players at Best Buy although future BD players will probably be bought online. So therefore my vote was for mostly online some in store.
david0406 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
morbidcorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
A few years ago I purchased a bunch of home audio equipment online. When it came time to do my taxes I paid a huge bill to my state for the online purchases. Since then I make all my big ticket purchases at local stores to avoid the hassle. Aside from the tax issue I prefer buying at a store because I get to take the product home and see the boxes before I accept them. Order online and you can get a demolished box left on your porch, then you have to deal with returning the product and hoping the next shipment arrives without damage. A few dollars of savings just isn't worth that headache to me. I have the good fortune of living in a suburban area where I can get most any brand (certainly not the ID brands) from one of several local shops.
Why on Earth would you report your online purchases on your taxes? I also live in the Mitten. When has this sh*thole of a state ever proven they know what to do with your hard earned money.
lingling1337 likes this.

morbidcorpse is offline  
post #65 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Why on Earth would you report your online purchases on your taxes? I also live in the Mitten. When has this sh*thole of a state ever proven they know what to do with your hard earned money.
In PA if you file online they actually pre-populate that field with a guestimate.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is offline  
post #66 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
morbidcorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
In PA if you file online they actually pre-populate that field with a guestimate.
In which, if you have any intelligence, you place a big fat ZERO!!!
tubetwister likes this.


Last edited by morbidcorpse; 06-10-2015 at 01:07 PM.
morbidcorpse is offline  
post #67 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
I don't think there is much of anything that a Best Buy Magnolia Design Center can't get. Plus they now price match online retailers as well as negotiate. Can't think of a time I was able to negotiate at Amazon. A regular Best Buy on the other hand...has nothing.

They also have a very nice listening room for high end audio gear.

Amazon isn't much better than a regular Best Buy when it comes to anything high end audio. Amazons return policy is ok, but not as good as the 45 day elite return window and you don't have to pay to ship it back.
Quote:
I don't think there is much of anything that a Best Buy Magnolia Design Center can't get
Be that as it may ( and I can *and do also* on the web ☻☻) FWIW from what I've read from members at AVS *here* ( contrary to your perhaps more recent experience? *) is the prices are egregious and also much more on same product at brick and morter Maggotolia within a Best Buy store .



* I suspect as would be prudent in a low volume premium storefront * they use a different inventory cost of goods + operating overhead business model in the design centers which allegedly are a separate from BB/ Maggetolia business altogether and likely not eligible for volume product acquisition discounts *in addition to obviously much higher sq. ft amortization ,operating costs and fixed expenses * .

AFAIK Nobody here ever mentioned price matching ,negotiating or anything like that at the Design Maggetolia stores here IOW *AFAIK U be the first .

I would never buy anything expensive beyond a TV or mid fi AVR (on sale) at anything connected to Best Buy .Maggotolia et,al and the Idiot geeks there (that's why we call it worst buy )
david0406 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 12:46 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #68 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gary147852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bossier City, La
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
Another thing about buying from actual stores is that the "advice" one gets from most audio salesmen is generally useless, IME. Of course there's the obvious junk science behind the speaker wire scams, but even beyond this I feel I was really led down some unfortunate paths by salesmen when I first started getting into this stuff. For example, every salesperson I've spoken to has promoted some variation of the "garbage in, garbage out" line of reasoning, which they use sell "audiophile" CD players that are in reality sonically identical to $50 Blu-ray players. And all salespeople I've spoken to have believed that "night and day" differences exist amongst amongst modern amplifiers, which is another position I've come to see as not standing up to scientific scrutiny. I prefer to think of these people as honestly deluded rather than con artists, but of course motivations vary.

So generally I love supporting actual businesses, but I've come to audio shops as places to avoid.
I work for bestbuy, and I am sorry that you have had these experiences, but there are a few of us who actually know the products, then there are the people who don't stick around long (the idiots).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Pioneer VSX-524-K, Custom DIY LCR Mains, DIY Sub ( Kicker 10c124, 2.25 ft3, 19 hz tune, powered by xm-sd46x(using only rear channel in bridge mode, 150watts), powered by 400w atx power supply.) Work in progress.
Gary147852 is offline  
post #69 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
In which, if you have any I intelligence, you place a big fat ZERO!!!
You mean like the IRS Form 1040, whatever form $200.00 charity donation deduction everybody makes

Yous-a Ms. IRS auditor I always putts a Little something in da basket every Sunday it adds up to about $200.00 every year U know !
morbidcorpse likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 01:06 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #70 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gary147852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bossier City, La
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Be that as it may ( and I can *and do also* on the web ☻☻) FWIW from what I've read from members at AVS *here* ( contrary to your perhaps more recent experience? *) is the prices are egregious and also much more on same product at brick and morter Maggotolia within a Best Buy store .



* I suspect as would be prudent in a low volume premium storefront * they use a different inventory cost of goods + operating overhead business model in the design centers which allegedly are a separate from BB/ Maggetolia business altogether and likely not eligible for volume product acquisition discounts *in addition to obviously much higher sq. ft amortization ,operating costs and fixed expenses * .

AFAIK Nobody here ever mentioned price matching ,negotiating or anything like that at the Design Maggetolia stores here IOW *AFAIK U be the first .

I would never buy anything expensive beyond a TV or mid fi AVR (on sale) at anything connected to Best Buy .Maggotolia et,al and the Idiot geeks there (that's why we call it worst buy )
Bb and magnolia are separate entites. Magnolia is just owned by bestbuy and is operated independently. There are magnolia design centers, which are standalone stores, as well as magnolia home theater depts, which can be found inside of some bestbuy stores. That being said. There is no product that I can't get for someone, I have a wide array of magnolia product in my store only because I push the higher end equipment. And of course there is going to be markup. But we do negotiate and price match on a daily basis. It's retail. You pay for what you want (high end equipment) and we provide it locally.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Pioneer VSX-524-K, Custom DIY LCR Mains, DIY Sub ( Kicker 10c124, 2.25 ft3, 19 hz tune, powered by xm-sd46x(using only rear channel in bridge mode, 150watts), powered by 400w atx power supply.) Work in progress.
Gary147852 is offline  
post #71 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:09 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
In PA if you file online they actually pre-populate that field with a guestimate.
Tell them U bought a Henry Winchester reapeating rifle on line and don't come a knocking on my door if U know what's good for U
tubetwister is offline  
post #72 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
morbidcorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Yous-a Ms. IRS auditor I always putts a Little something in da basket every Sunday it adds up to about $200.00 every year U know !
It costs the IRS at least $1,000 to audit an average working stiff like me or you (assuming you're an average working stiff). If you cheat a little on your taxes and get back an extra $300-$500 on your tax return, it costs them far more money to audit you than it would be just to let it slide. So worry not and by all means, cheat cheat cheat!

morbidcorpse is offline  
post #73 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:12 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147852 View Post
Bb and magnolia are separate entites. Magnolia is just owned by bestbuy and is operated independently. There are magnolia design centers, which are standalone stores, as well as magnolia home theater depts, which can be found inside of some bestbuy stores. That being said. There is no product that I can't get for someone, I have a wide array of magnolia product in my store only because I push the higher end equipment. And of course there is going to be markup. But we do negotiate and price match on a daily basis. It's retail. You pay for what you want (high end equipment) and we provide it locally.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Quote:
There is no product that I can't get for someone
See if you can get me a deal on a new Hammarlund HQ 170A or a Garrard 301 .
tubetwister is offline  
post #74 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,245
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
my local best buy closed down magnolia in a city of 500k people. fortunately a couple local places carry high end stuff to listen too. The bad thing about listening to stuff with your ears is that you find one thing that is awesome and just sounds better than everything else. Of course everyone has different opinion, but to me its obvious what sounds best so when I hear all the rants and raves about stuff I have already heard I just think to myself they must not of listened to this combo yet just kidding, lots of great sounding stuff...but its so nice to hear 10 different sets of speakers powered by the same preamp/amp/avr etc...and its nice to ask salespeople what their favorite gear is and then go compare yourself. the downsides is that most local brick and mortar gonna have to order what you want anyways cause they probably only carry the floor models and dont have in stock.

anyways my point is that its a pleasure to listen to stuff and make decisions 1st hand. I dont trust a lot of internet stuff I read cause everyone usually likes what they sent money for.
torii is online now  
post #75 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:24 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
It costs the IRS at least $1,000 to audit an average working stiff like me or you (assuming you're an average working stiff). If you cheat a little on your taxes and get back an extra $300-$500 on your tax return, it costs them far more money to audit you than it would be just to let it slide. So worry not and by all means, cheat cheat cheat!
Then the gal I got audited by back in the late 90's got paid pretty well for much less than a couple of hours work !

OTOH with the usual incompetent inefficiency there these days I have no reason at all to doubt what you said
tubetwister is offline  
post #76 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Member
 
100pr00f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mostly in-store if its big and expensive so i can have it same day and if something in wrong I can exchange and receive new product with in that same day. Speakers that are of the reference line is all online as most company's sell only online or let hometheater stores sell but with a small up-charge at least the one iI know of around my way which is still far away

Movies is a mixed bag, Older movies I Buy online, newer releases are mostly in-store so I can sell off the uv at a new release price

My Website - soreelflix.com
For the latest Movie News, Reviews by a Ninja, a Podcast and Giveaways
My None Family Only Facebook- David Chiang
(Not my Real Name, Just a fan of Shaw Brothers Films)
100pr00f is offline  
post #77 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gary147852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bossier City, La
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I see what you did there. Bestbuy carries a wide range of recievers. But they're more like home theater recievers

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Pioneer VSX-524-K, Custom DIY LCR Mains, DIY Sub ( Kicker 10c124, 2.25 ft3, 19 hz tune, powered by xm-sd46x(using only rear channel in bridge mode, 150watts), powered by 400w atx power supply.) Work in progress.
Gary147852 is offline  
post #78 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:27 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
just kidding, lots of great sounding stuff...but its so nice to hear 10 different sets of speakers powered by the same preamp/amp/avr etc..

They got any AVR's worth listening to outside of a movie ?
tubetwister is offline  
post #79 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 01:31 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
my local best buy closed down magnolia in a city of 500k people. .
Wow they kept the closest Maggetolia to me open in bay area suburb between Sacramento and SF of maybe 100K people where U at Baltimore or Cleveland ? ......... can't be Oakland they only got 406,000 people (that they know about )
tubetwister is offline  
post #80 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Member
 
gringottsdirect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 50 Rue St Georges Paris
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a dying breed, and probably as I am older I am less wise in some respects.
In the old days I would study half a dozen mags every month forming a wish list - then when the time came I would visit two or three dealers to decide and buy.
Back then I didn't really upgrade more than every couple of years or so, but I was always hankering after the next big thing. I changed far more often than I should have but on the other hand I avoided some major baloney buys.
Most of the dealers had an evangelical zeal to push me a certain flat earth way, Linn, Naim, etc but the odd one ploughed a middling furrow with brands like Arcam, Thorens, Epos etc along with some better than believed at the time Japanese separates from Technics, Yamaha, Sony ES and Denon.
I was always looking for value - and with some salesmen I smelled BS and couldn't hear their " difference ". I formed buying relationships with others lasting decades which either meant they were stand-up guys or their BS was better.
The strange thing is it would now make more sense for me to research online then buy online but it isn't what I do. Instead I look for specialist hi-fi brands that sell through dealers, research online, visit for a listen - then buy at the store.
I don't buy brands I can buy cheaply online - the brands I buy aren't usually available online - if they are the prices are little or no different.
I must like the nostalgic experience of taking my Tom Waits or J D Souther lps with me, having a coffee and buying a neat new pair of floorstanders or something, maybe just a cartridge.
I know it makes little sense, and my younger self would laugh at me but I enjoy it.

Je voudrais manger boire et baiser.
gringottsdirect is offline  
post #81 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
They_call_me_Roto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Why on Earth would you report your online purchases on your taxes? I also live in the Mitten. When has this sh*thole of a state ever proven they know what to do with your hard earned money.
Well pretty much because I am not oblivious to the huge amounts of data being farmed and cached on the world wide web. While many people think " Eff 'em they don't know what I've bought online", what if the state decided to invest the time to audit some people with the specific purpose of busting people for this. All they would have to do is subpoena your credit card records, then they could research the purchases and quickly determine what was purchased off the web without paying taxes.

I'd rather be honest and have nothing to fear. There was a time not too long ago when people thought it was a-OK to share music freely on Napster. There were several lawsuits brought against people who shared and downloaded tons of music. I bet they all thought they would never get caught.
lovinthehd likes this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
They_call_me_Roto is offline  
post #82 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
morbidcorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
Well pretty much because I am not oblivious to the huge amounts of data being farmed and cached on the world wide web. While many people think " Eff 'em they don't know what I've bought online", what if the state decided to invest the time to audit some people with the specific purpose of busting people for this. All they would have to do is subpoena your credit card records, then they could research the purchases and quickly determine what was purchased off the web without paying taxes.

I'd rather be honest and have nothing to fear. There was a time not too long ago when people thought it was a-OK to share music freely on Napster. There were several lawsuits brought against people who shared and downloaded tons of music. I bet they all thought they would never get caught.
ahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha ........excuse me.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The State of Michigan can't afford to pave our roads, fix our crumbling infrastructure, or our schools, but you think they have the time, man power and resources, much less the actual legal authority, to do all that? Thanks for the laugh. That was funnier than 22 Jump Street!
tubetwister likes this.


Last edited by morbidcorpse; 06-10-2015 at 04:46 PM.
morbidcorpse is offline  
post #83 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Volpar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Saint Petersburg Florida
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
In a store and research online.
Volpar is offline  
post #84 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,245
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Wow they kept the closest Maggetolia to me open in bay area suburb between Sacramento and SF of maybe 100K people where U at Baltimore or Cleveland ? ......... can't be Oakland they only got 406,000 people (that they know about )
albuquerque smarty pants
torii is online now  
post #85 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 03:55 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii
Albuquerque smarty pants
They have internet there

I thought the S/W was part of the oil shale boom ??



ofc that may be slowing now as the price of crude rises or no?

OTOH Maybe they don't need a McIntosh set up and B&W speakers for some of the the music down there when Klipcsh RF whatever and a Sub or 15" stage PA's would probably be fine for that

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 04:01 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #86 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 04:16 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringottsdirect View Post
I'm a dying breed, and probably as I am older I am less wise in some respects.
In the old days I would study half a dozen mags every month forming a wish list - then when the time came I would visit two or three dealers to decide and buy.
Quote:
I'm a dying breed, and probably as I am older I am less wise in some respects.
Like analog sources in general ?


Quote:
I must like the nostalgic experience of taking my Tom Waits or J D Souther lps with me, having a coffee and buying a neat new pair of floor standers or something, maybe just a cartridge.
I know it makes little sense, and my younger self would laugh at me but I enjoy it.
I grew up with (even before tower speakers ) and had a lot of that stuff and towers . I'm all about spinning metal hdd's with loss less 24/41 or 16/44 FLAC now or loss less 16/44 ip streaming .

Nothing wrong with good vinyl at all though I just use digital needle drops now 16/44 can resolve it all just fine what most don't know is a lot of CD mixes aren't that hot because of compromises specific to marketing CD's to the broad market and HDWE and of course that opens the real and not infrequent consequence that vinyl *can* sound better on a given recording even though it's ~ 8 bit depth VS 16 bits on a CD
tubetwister is offline  
post #87 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
I buy most everything online these days, but that's only out of necessity. No showrooms to speak of anywhere near me. It's so bad that I had to go into business for myself! Time to make my OWN showroom. I'm not joking.

Would've been supporting the locals B&M stores if only there was one around. When I lived in larger cities in Texas, I always thoroughly enjoyed shopping at places like Bjorn's in San Antonio and some of the great stores in the DFW area. I enjoyed the heck out of their showrooms, and had fantastic experiences with every saleperson I dealt with, so I was plenty happy giving them my business. Not only was it great to do side by side comparisons in person, but once I had things narrowed down a bit, the salesmen were great about offering to let me audition equipment at home as well.
Montucky is online now  
post #88 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1,312
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147852 View Post
Bb and magnolia are separate entites. Magnolia is just owned by bestbuy and is operated independently. There are magnolia design centers, which are standalone stores, as well as magnolia home theater depts, which can be found inside of some bestbuy stores. That being said. There is no product that I can't get for someone, I have a wide array of magnolia product in my store only because I push the higher end equipment. And of course there is going to be markup. But we do negotiate and price match on a daily basis. It's retail. You pay for what you want (high end equipment) and we provide it locally.

I'be been doing audio since 1972 and have heard a lot of excellent t speakers over that time. I always check out Magnolia whenever I'm in a Best Buy.
Below are eight excellent speakers I'm familiar with and believe are "best in class" for their price points between $700 to $1,500 each.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any of these displayed (or available on special order) at any Magnolia or Best Buy in Southern California.

To my ears, they are far superior to the Bowers & Wilkins, Martin Logan, and other speakers Magnolia carries in this cost range (and I've owned B&W Matrix 802's and currently have several Martin Logan's).


Magnepan .7 $1,395
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_7



Spatial Audio m3 $1,495
http://www.spatialaudio.us/store/hologram-m3



Magnepan 1.7 $1,995
http://www.magnepan.com/model_17



Zu Audio Soul Mk2 $2,000
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul



emerald physics ep X1 $2,295
http://www.emeraldphysics.com/2014/05/ep-x.html



Fritz Speakers Carbon 7 $2,500
http://www.fritzspeakers.com/carbon%207.asp



Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature II $2,560
http://vandersteen.com/products/model-2ce-signature-ii



Scansonic MB-1 $2,999
http://www.scansonic.dk/hdproducts/m...i-monitor.3996
Peterc613 is offline  
post #89 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Member
 
friendly_jacek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
A few years ago I purchased a bunch of home audio equipment online. When it came time to do my taxes I paid a huge bill to my state for the online purchases.
you made me feel bad. i thought no one did that. now that i said that tax audit is sure coming.
friendly_jacek is offline  
post #90 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
david0406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Be that as it may ( and I can *and do also* on the web ☻☻) FWIW from what I've read from members at AVS *here* ( contrary to your perhaps more recent experience? *) is the prices are egregious and also much more on same product at brick and morter Maggotolia within a Best Buy store .



* I suspect as would be prudent in a low volume premium storefront * they use a different inventory cost of goods + operating overhead business model in the design centers which allegedly are a separate from BB/ Maggetolia business altogether and likely not eligible for volume product acquisition discounts *in addition to obviously much higher sq. ft amortization ,operating costs and fixed expenses * .

AFAIK Nobody here ever mentioned price matching ,negotiating or anything like that at the Design Maggetolia stores here IOW *AFAIK U be the first .

I would never buy anything expensive beyond a TV or mid fi AVR (on sale) at anything connected to Best Buy .Maggotolia et,al and the Idiot geeks there (that's why we call it worst buy )
My son just bought an AVR and he was having issues getting the AVR to recognize DD+ from Netflix app on the television. I told him it's probably an issue with the TV passing a 5.1 signal. BB told him just connect the AVR to the TV with an optical audio cable and that optical cables support DD+. I told him I don't think it will matter if the TV is not capable of sending a 5.1 signal from the TV and was pretty confident anyway that optical audio does not support DD+ anyway. It was connected by HDMI. If he couldn't get it to recognize through an HDMI connection why would it make sense that it would recognize the signal through an optical connection. He bought a Roku and now the issue is solved. Point is BB told him optical audio supports DD+. How much does the " geek squad " actually know at these stores? (That's a general statement I know. I am sure there are some informed employees at BB somewhere.) I told him to come to the AVS forum. These guys know what they are talking about.

Last edited by david0406; 06-10-2015 at 05:38 PM.
david0406 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off