Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store?
Exclusively online 98 23.67%
Mostly online, some in-store 162 39.13%
About equally online and in-store 60 14.49%
Mostly in-store, some online 78 18.84%
Exclusively in-store 16 3.86%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #91 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 05:57 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post
How much does the " geek squad " actually know at these stores? (That's a general statement I know. I am sure there are some informed employees at BB somewhere.) I told him to come to the AVS forum. These guys know what they are talking about.
Quote:
How much does the " geek squad " actually know at these stores?
Can't speak for the BB folks outside of some members here I thought /think are OK (about TV's )

OTOH
I fixed a lot of computers and software issues they screwed up [stupidly] and /or or told folks they needed a hdd and all it needed was a new windows install or a loose connection re set one had a disconnected hdd all it needed was the hdd plugged in that's it !
TBH I don't think they can fix an all to common corrupted Windows PWL admin or std user acct log in and that is about a 5 minute reg hack if you take your time .

The impression I got if it was anything at all beyond plugging it in they recommended a hdd just because they could get away with it ...or thought they could or I don't know what is worse simply didn't know any better at all .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
ahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha ........excuse me.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The State of Michigan can't afford to pave our roads, fix our crumbling infrastructure, or our schools, but you think they have the time, man power and resources, much less the actual legal authority, to do all that? Thanks for the laugh. That was funnier than 22 Jump Street!

That doesn't mean they won't fund a department looking for revenue.

I got a call from a special division of the Franchise Tax Board (the California state tax organization) as they had been reviewing Customs records for importers for California residents looking for some more revenue, so they reviewed any large declared value on imports and started issuing claims and asking questions later. One of my customers (I'm a Customs broker) had tried to explain that his importation was of his own hunting trophies, that he shot, and hadn't purchased and had only followed the nominal valuation guidelines from all the government agencies involved (Customs and the Fish&Wildlife as well as the foreign veterinary services, etc). I had to explain that a few times to someone at this special division that was the case, and I had to write them a letter which had to be reviewed by this person's supervisor (someone who could actually understand what had happened). Very frustrating. I'm sure California chases large interstate purchases, too....
tubetwister likes this.
post #93 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
That doesn't mean they won't fund a department looking for revenue.

I got a call from a special division of the Franchise Tax Board (the California state tax organization) as they had been reviewing Customs records for importers for California residents looking for some more revenue, so they reviewed any large declared value on imports and started issuing claims and asking questions later. One of my customers (I'm a Customs broker) had tried to explain that his importation was of his own hunting trophies, that he shot, and hadn't purchased and had only followed the nominal valuation guidelines from all the government agencies involved (Customs and the Fish&Wildlife as well as the foreign veterinary services, etc). I had to explain that a few times to someone at this special division that was the case, and I had to write them a letter which had to be reviewed by this person's supervisor (someone who could actually understand what had happened). Very frustrating. I'm sure California chases large interstate purchases, too....
That's California. You may not be aware of how dysfunctional Michigan is. If you think Cali is bad, well....as The Joker so famously said, "wait until they get a load of me!" And besides, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about foreign imports? We're talking about buying something from Amazon that is shipped from Ohio, to Michigan and later not claiming the Michigan sales tax on it come tax season. and even then, as a citizen I would argue Michigan's ability to even claim that sales tax because the sale took place in Ohio, not Michigan. besides, the politicians here are too busy lining their own pockets while residents of Flint, Pontiac, Saginaw, and Detroit are offing each other in record numbers. they have much bigger fish to fry than internet sales tax.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
That's California. You may not be aware of how dysfunctional Michigan is. If you think Cali is bad, well....as The Joker so famously said, "wait until they get a load of me!" And besides, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about foreign imports? We're talking about buying something from Amazon that is shipped from Ohio, to Michigan and later not claiming the Michigan sales tax on it come tax season. and even then, as a citizen I would argue Michigan's ability to even claim that sales tax because the sale took place in Ohio, not Michigan. besides, the politicians here are too busy lining their own pockets while residents of Flint, Pontiac, Saginaw, and Detroit are offing each other in record numbers. they have much bigger fish to fry than internet sales tax.
Right .......it's different back there I've been back there from Cal many many times on business before I retired ,Michigan Ohio ,Illinois etc some of the cities you mentioned and more.

Despite downtown Detroit over hyped small renaissance there are vast areas in the rust belt et,al that are that not far removed from Afghanistan and getting worse by the day and year due to *a lot of things* not least of which (without pointing fingers ) are bad policy decisions public and private well before the early 80's when I first went there .

TV can't begin to represent the scale of devastation in the rust belt and if it even tried only Ken Burns could even attempt to .
As you probably know If you have't seen it other than a war zone or epic natural disaster it's almost incomprehensible and as you know that is not an opinion.

The media presently doesent wan't us to know the consequences or 'real'scale of it outside of the Midwest they would rather cover an officials parking tickets or the Kardashians or gin up devisions .

Ford Motor's River Rouge was almost surreal long after it closed down when I was there. Unbelievable what they accomplished there the PBS Henry Ford documentary re visits that that briefly you can get that at the PBS American Experience website and Roku same and probably Amazon prime etc.

I'm sure you already know for example that middle eastern immigrants are more than happy to come to abandoned or near neighbor hoods , communities and enclaves back there and are being proactively located in those and happy as a clam compared to where they came from.
I have no doubt the authorities throughout the rust belt have bigger fish to fry,bullets to dodge and ill deeds to cover up than enforce internet sales tax .

OTOH they could all probably take lessons from the Calif Franchise Tax board that's no lie so could the IRS Cal. gets it due

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 09:01 PM.
post #95 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Never even been to Michigan even tho I grew up near Chicago so will defer to you on all things Michigan! By many reports seems over the last many years Detroit would be run by OCP by now .

California's pretty famous for chasing down their sales tax, even Amazon finally conceded. Internet records are there still...all it takes is some mining. California law about tax due on out of state purchases is pretty solid, been tested in court by many, don't know about Michigan's.
post #96 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
California's pretty famous for chasing down their sales tax,
And whatever they want to add in
post #97 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Never even been to Michigan even tho I grew up near Chicago so will defer to you on all things Michigan! By many reports seems over the last many years Detroit would be run by OCP by now .

California's pretty famous for chasing down their sales tax, even Amazon finally conceded. Internet records are there still...all it takes is some mining. California law about tax due on out of state purchases is pretty solid, been tested in court by many, don't know about Michigan's.
I've been all over the U.S. The Mitten State is a Third World toxic sh*thole. Ask anyone from Michigan how they like it and 99% of the time, you'll get the most hateful rant you've ever heard in response. Truly, the entire state is a nasty vile hole in the ground and the majority of its residents are subhuman mongrels.

post #98 of 120 Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 PM

The Woodward Dream Cruise is always cool .Lott a good folks in the Midwest and surroundings thay have bad folks everywhere even Oakland and Compton ( even in the nations capital well outside of the ghetto they just don't pull Glocks on you to rob you blind that's all) ....... outside of those even some of the bad ones here and there aren't that bad on a given day if you don't talk out of hand or act like a fool and poor folks can very generous with what they have even in the much less than stellar environment they inherited .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-10-2015 at 10:02 PM.
post #99 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
I've been all over the U.S. The Mitten State is a Third World toxic sh*thole. Ask anyone from Michigan how they like it and 99% of the time, you'll get the most hateful rant you've ever heard in response. Truly, the entire state is a nasty vile hole in the ground and the majority of its residents are subhuman mongrels.
And you insult me for doing what is right???

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #100 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
And you insult me for doing what is right???
So it's my fault you feel insulted? How typically Michigan of you to lay blame anywhere other than where it belongs. Only YOU are responsible for your feelings. If you're insulted, that's on you.

post #101 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I always make major electronic purchases in the store. I do it to help keep the places in business because I won't buy something like a TV, etc without seeing it in person first and if everyone buys online more of the stores will close and there would be nowhere to test in person before making a decision.
post #102 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
OTOH
I fixed a lot of computers and software issues they screwed up [stupidly] and /or or told folks they needed a hdd and all it needed was a new windows install or a loose connection re set one had a disconnected hdd all it needed was the hdd plugged in that's it !
I wonder if this is because those Geek Squad people are dishonest and just trying to get your money or just don't know what they are doing and think you really do need a new HDD. I think both have an equal chance of being right.
post #103 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
I wonder if this is because those Geek Squad people are dishonest and just trying to get your money or just don't know what they are doing and think you really do need a new HDD. I think both have an equal chance of being right.
It could be dishonesty ,could be incompetence ,could be an unwritten add on sales imperative (believe me those exist in business and retail more often than not ) or any of those or all three at a given time ?
post #104 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The other option is, of course, over the phone. Most of my gear was purchased in-store; some via phone. Only my Oppo 83 and iScan Duo VP were purchased online (after email and phone consultations; I'm counting e-mail as "on-line"). Other than that, a couple of power cables were online. That's it.

Actually, I avoid on-line purchasing of gear. Don't like it.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #105 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Although I prefer new gifts of my choice ........... I had to buy all my stuff on line and at B.B.
post #106 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
I was reminded day before yesterday of a major reason I prefer purchasing locally...

Shipping damage!

I ordered diffusers from ATS that arrived day before yesterday and the UPS delivery person rolled the boxed diffusers end over end from the truck to my house. Of the 6 I ordered all were damaged, 2 were damaged on the back and are still usable but not the rest. ATS is graciously replacing the 4 I asked to be replaced.

In 2013 I ordered absorbers from Acoustimac, the UPS delivery person drug the boxes from the truck to my house, the cardboard box was worn through and the absorbers were dragging on the driveway even through the packing box corners were reinforced. Acoustimac graciously sent replacements with additional packaging reinforcement so that the replacements survived their shipping ordeal.

B&H Dynaudio Speakers, double boxed, outer box destroyed, speakers still okay.

When I had a huge server (8U, 3' deep) shipped with a very large UPS (power supply) I had it palatalized and shipped freight, it shipped perfect.

Mail order shippers beware. My experences in the Seattle area may not be the same as the rest of the country but both UPS and FedEx ground (2 day and overnight seems good) are very careless in this area. Will this post cause them to abuse my stuff even more? I don't know. Once you think you've got something packed well, put it in another box and pack it that good again, that's what seems to work.

Good luck to as all

I hate to end on a bad note...I'm looking forward to how the theater will look and sound once my small remodel is done!!

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 06-11-2015 at 10:41 PM.
post #107 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
what if i tend to shop(as in look at, listen to, test out, etc) in store, and then buy online(often from the same retailer) during special sales like boxing day/black friday etc...

i buy most of my big ticket stuff when it's on sale, and if that happens to be during a busy sale, i'd much prefer the online route than dealing with people.

i almost never buy something without checking it out in person first though, unless we're talking like a HDD, or some component you can actually purchase based on a spec sheet.

i actually just order a new laptop last night, it was 200bux off during a 'flash sale'. i wasn't sure if i actually wanted it or not yet, but figured it was easier to return(it's from best buy) than to regret missing the sale. my plan is to go play with a store demo on the weekend, as it's scheduled for delivery by tuesday.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #108 of 120 Old 06-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i actually just order a new laptop last night, it was 200bux off during a 'flash sale'. i wasn't sure if i actually wanted it or not yet, but figured it was easier to return(it's from best buy) than to regret missing the sale. my plan is to go play with a store demo on the weekend, as it's scheduled for delivery by tuesday.
which one?

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Pioneer VSX-524-K, Custom DIY LCR Mains, DIY Sub ( Kicker 10c124, 2.25 ft3, 19 hz tune, powered by xm-sd46x(using only rear channel in bridge mode, 150watts), powered by 400w atx power supply.) Work in progress.
post #109 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Be that as it may ( and I can *and do also* on the web ☻☻) FWIW from what I've read from members at AVS *here* ( contrary to your perhaps more recent experience? *) is the prices are egregious and also much more on same product at brick and morter Maggotolia within a Best Buy store .

* I suspect as would be prudent in a low volume premium storefront * they use a different inventory cost of goods + operating overhead business model in the design centers which allegedly are a separate from BB/ Maggetolia business altogether and likely not eligible for volume product acquisition discounts *in addition to obviously much higher sq. ft amortization ,operating costs and fixed expenses * .

AFAIK Nobody here ever mentioned price matching ,negotiating or anything like that at the Design Maggetolia stores here IOW *AFAIK U be the first .

I would never buy anything expensive beyond a TV or mid fi AVR (on sale) at anything connected to Best Buy .Maggotolia et,al and the Idiot geeks there (that's why we call it worst buy )
You have a very unusual writing style. I'm not sure what BB and Magnolia did to upset you, but personally I'm thrilled that we have a Magnolia in my small city. I finally have a place to demo high end gear, and with a very generous 45 day return policy, price matching, etc.

I find it ironic im defending a brick and mortar retailer. I run an online business, and I would wager I may be one of the most compulsive online shoppers on these forums. My Amazon account has 780 unique orders placed in the past 18 months! It's extremely rare for me to use a brick and mortar store for anything. BB Magonolia and the grocery store are the two exception. Yes best buy USED to be worst buy, but times have changed my friend.

Sony XBR-75Z9D + Samsung 78JS9500 + LG 65OLEDC6P + 55EC9300 + 55EA8800 OLED
Denon X5200W + Integral + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX/FX2/4 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Denon X6300h + Oppo BDP-103D + Xbox One S
Monitor Audio Silver 10's + Silver Center + CP-CT380's + 2x HSU ULS-15 MK2
3.1 MartinLogan Motion 40/30 + Rhythmik FV15HP + Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D

Last edited by OneStepAhead; 06-12-2015 at 04:12 AM.
post #110 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147852 View Post
which one?
Lenovo yoga 3 pro. I've been considering a tablet as an 'addition' to my laptop, but it's getting on about 8yrs old now, and I'm getting tired of having to crack it open and reseat things or move wires because they're getting brittle, etc. I'm not sure if I want the thin and lightness or 'future-proof' processing power more. I'm also a little skeptical about the keyboard on a 13" laptop. I do most of my word processing on the laptop since my PC is hooked up to my plasma.

the other reason I'm not sure if i'll keep it, is that I kind of like the orange, or rather I don't really like the silver. and if I order direct from Lenovo I can get the orange, and the larger SSD maybe as well. I'm kind of a fussy shopper, haha. but I like buying things for the long term, and I'm intended this to last me 5-8yrs

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #111 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
. My Amazon account has 780 unique orders placed in the past 18 months!
Yikes I feel much better about my Amazon purchases now...
post #112 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
I used to rely heavily on Tweeter, following the same employees to the Magnolia Design Center they moved to after Tweeter went under. But that was in the pre-AVS days. About the only thing I've bought from a brick and mortar store in the last couple of years beyond items of convenience like USB or short HDMI cables is a TV (Panny VT50), a UPS from Panamax, and PSB speakers that I demo'd locally at Saturday Audio Exchange. However, additional speakers I added to my setup I bought online from SAE and another PSB dealer.

Today, I buy almost everything A/V related online or from a dealer that I personally know from AVS friends. My last two Oppo players, HSU subs, a Radiance Mini, JRiver, and my last two receivers before I went to Trinnov all were bought online from dealers I learned about on AVS (and some of these were AV Science purchases). And almost all of my cables if I have time to plan for them are from Blue Jeans Cables.

In the future, the odds are that even the one thing I'd buy by personally demoing it (the TV) would get replaced by a projector/screen I'd buy from recommendations on AVS. So for me physical stores are obsolete except for the occasional quick buy of cables or BDs.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #113 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
You have a very unusual writing style. I'm not sure what BB and Magnolia did to upset you, but personally I'm thrilled that we have a Magnolia in my small city. I finally have a place to demo high end gear, and with a very generous 45 day return policy, price matching, etc.

I find it ironic im defending a brick and mortar retailer. I run an online business, and I would wager I may be one of the most compulsive online shoppers on these forums. My Amazon account has 780 unique orders placed in the past 18 months! It's extremely rare for me to use a brick and mortar store for anything. BB Magonolia and the grocery store are the two exception. Yes best buy USED to be worst buy, but times have changed my friend.
Nothing against Best Buy /Magonila ( aside from the frequently idiot geek squads in the Best Buy store and the usual not so knowledgeable sales people at both ,both of which I usually ignore anyway ) but all in all not upset with B.B.M. either just a twisted sense of humor that's all .

OTOH outside a few TV's performance wise and the usual low expectations of anything else there I wouldn't consider Magnolia in store product I've seen exactly high end (or anything close to the pro stuff or pro-summer I usually prefer ) just a step above mid fi mostly bordering on mid fi IMO (both) overpriced at Magnolia and else ware for the performance . Nothing wrong with a brick and mortar vs on line nothing wrong with having choices either .

Couple of these (with included power amps ) should easily out perform anything you can get at Magnolia or their design store for the same money
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/r...2#.VXtB9IlVhBc (slow link sometimes )

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-12-2015 at 01:58 PM.
post #114 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I used to rely heavily on Tweeter, following the same employees to the Magnolia Design Center they moved to after Tweeter went under.

Today, I buy almost everything A/V related online or from a dealer that I personally know from AVS friends. My last two Oppo players, HSU subs, a Radiance Mini, JRiver, and my last two receivers before I went to Trinnov all were bought online from dealers I learned about on AVS (and some of these were AV Science purchases). And almost all of my cables if I have time to plan for them are from Blue Jeans Cables.

In the future, the odds are that even the one thing I'd buy by personally demoing it (the TV) would get replaced by a projector/screen I'd buy from recommendations on AVS. So for me physical stores are obsolete except for the occasional quick buy of cables or BDs.
I used to like Tweeter (better than Magnoila /Best Buy now ) bought my first Sony ES AVR there ..............AVS store looks pretty legit .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-12-2015 at 01:48 PM.
post #115 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
I used to like Tweeter (better than Magnoila /Best Buy now ) bought my first Sony ES AVR there ..............AVS store looks pretty legit .

I met some of the guys from AV Science (the AVS store) at CEDIA last year, and they're as good as their word. Plus their sales guys are active on AVS .

Re Magnolia, it's fine if they've got exactly what you are looking for and want a demo (or to see the product physically) before buying. Depending on your relationship with them, they'll sometimes also do deals below their listed price for you within some discretionary power.

However, it's a poor place to go into cold because you can often do better elsewhere/online on value for the price. And forget about going there to demo Dolby Atmos for the first time unless you're lucky. Only a few of their design centers have a proper Atmos install (they tend to use the DefTech towers with top-firing modules, not ceiling speakers or more capable top-firing speakers, and don't always have them placed correctly for MLP), and getting Dolby speakers in particular to work in your room is very hands-on.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #116 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store?

My last two TV purchases were done online one best buy the other Amazon I attempted to give a local retailer business but I was dismissed almost immediately as window shopping. I understand their behavior I managed a high end clothing store for many years and you profiled walk ins to determine whether they're potential clients, it's not the correct attitude because you can't judge a book by its cover. Immediately after returning home I reached into my wallet and purchased my Panny sight unseen. Luckily I didn't have any issues with delivery and inspected items before I signed off.
Off topic but related I recently purchased a chair without ever seeing it but from a reputable franchise and well known design firm known for their impeccable customer svce and delivery was top notch so it really depends on the retailer and the level of trust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #117 of 120 Old 06-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I met some of the guys from AV Science (the AVS store) at CEDIA last year, and they're as good as their word. Plus their sales guys are active on AVS .

Re Magnolia, it's fine if they've got exactly what you are looking for and want a demo (or to see the product physically) before buying. Depending on your relationship with them, they'll sometimes also do deals below their listed price for you within some discretionary power.

However, it's a poor place to go into cold because you can often do better elsewhere/online on value for the price. And forget about going there to demo Dolby Atmos for the first time unless you're lucky. Only a few of their design centers have a proper Atmos install (they tend to use the DefTech towers with top-firing modules, not ceiling speakers or more capable top-firing speakers, and don't always have them placed correctly for MLP), and getting Dolby speakers in particular to work in your room is very hands-on.
I've only Window shopped at the Local Best Buy /Magnoilia more recently aside from when I went in 2014 to buy a specific TV from them the Website said they had and the Salesperson said after looking it up they didn't have it . He didn't want to check the stock room to confirm it.(or my alternate choice that was also in stock on web the at the store ).... (same models they had on display )......(fact some retail point of sale inventory systems will bring up a zero when it should be one ) not only that they aren't always correct and besides any sensible mgr [requires] employees to double check if it isn't a large negative figure or otherwise known to the employee to be out of stock .

The long and short of it I went went straight home and ordered it on line for substantially less despite the fact I bought 3 other sets there in 2013 tand (and many other things ) prior to that. Probably because of all this I won't buy anything substantial there any more and they also missed out on (maybe* ) 2 PC sales and PC 2 screens I've acquired since then .

Above is my more recent (attempted purchase ) experience there outside of a (swinging deal or price match of same ) despite the fact I like to support a local store when I can, I don't anticipate doing much more than show rooming there in the future YMMV .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-12-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #118 of 120 Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do You Buy AV Gear Online or In-Store?

Well, you can't find region-free players in stores .

Now I need to find a place where I can get a stand for my 64 inch TV... God knows how much that'll cost.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-13-2015 at 08:34 PM.
post #119 of 120 Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I still like checking out certain gear in the store because a description and a review is not going to tell you how it sounds! And I feel it is better to have a working relationship with a retailer as you are more likely to get a deal on something vs a online retailer that never sees you just your credit card. Also with a retail if it is close and something goes wrong you don't have far to go and do not have to ship it off somewhere because you purchased it online. Not to mention some companies do not want to honor warranties if you do not buy it from a approved retailer.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
post #120 of 120 Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As many have stated, I start doing an online research, but in the end I try to see it working on a store.
Dave Moritz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page