HT of the Month: The Black Hole - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 103 Old 08-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,571
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
A heavy lifeless feeling?
yes. Close your eyes and thats what it feels like... LOL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 103 Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,736
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Wow. Well done! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look. As fun as it can be, sometimes I think people (myself included) can get a little carried away with all of the decorative details. I think I'm going to go your route on my next build. Less trim work for me (hooray) and more focus on the screen and sound. Your HT is really a great inspiration for myself. Congrats!
SOWK likes this.
Montucky is offline  
post #93 of 103 Old 08-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,571
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Wow. Well done! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look. As fun as it can be, sometimes I think people (myself included) can get a little carried away with all of the decorative details. I think I'm going to go your route on my next build. Less trim work for me (hooray) and more focus on the screen and sound. Your HT is really a great inspiration for myself. Congrats!
Thank you.

That is ALWAYS a huge decision with this hobby.

How do you find a nice middle ground between Looks and Performance.


This is what I came up with when faced with that same question...

Not too distracting when actually watching a movie and not to dead (Dull - Lifeless) to make me depressed being in the room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 103 Old 08-21-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
yes. Close your eyes and thats what it feels like... LOL.
Hmm... Some here went that route. It looked stunning but thats totally different when it's theirs and actually experiencing it, a lot. Since they were space movie fans looking for that black void style.

xvfx is offline  
post #95 of 103 Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,571
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
I had a fellow AVS member over to see, hear, and feel the Theater tonight. I'll see if he is willing to share his opinion of the setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #96 of 103 Old 08-21-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Next in line for a coveted Red Button
Posts: 3,182
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
Pimp!!!! You guys in the HT of the month set the bar high, give me something to shoot for. Congrats!
SOWK likes this.
Gorilla Killa is online now  
post #97 of 103 Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
swargolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I had a fellow AVS member over to see, hear, and feel the Theater tonight. I'll see if he is willing to share his opinion of the setup.
I was the one that stopped by on Friday. SOWK's theater absolutely blew me away. I loved how every aspect of his theater was geared towards creating the perfect theater experience as opposed to worrying too much about visuals or other things that distract you. The JTRs and dual Seatons he uses are absolutely amazing. They completely fill the whole room and are extremely dynamic. I've never heard speakers like the JTRs in a home theater environment before, so I thought it was just going to be excessively loud and really bright, but even at reference levels they sounded great. Another huge surprise for me was the Crowsons that he uses. I always viewed them and similar devices as being gimmicky but it really adds to the experience. Feels very similar to being on a suspended floor. I liked them so much that it will most likely be my next purchase. Thanks SOWK for having me over and showing my girlfriend and I your theater.
SOWK, rcohen and Jeff Permanian like this.


Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Sony VPL-HW40es | 110" Seymour Ambient Visionnaire 1.3 | Intel NUC i5 HTPC
swargolet is offline  
post #98 of 103 Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,571
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
I was the one that stopped by on Friday. SOWK's theater absolutely blew me away. I loved how every aspect of his theater was geared towards creating the perfect theater experience as opposed to worrying too much about visuals or other things that distract you. The JTRs and dual Seatons he uses are absolutely amazing. They completely fill the whole room and are extremely dynamic. I've never heard speakers like the JTRs in a home theater environment before, so I thought it was just going to be excessively loud and really bright, but even at reference levels they sounded great. Another huge surprise for me was the Crowsons that he uses. I always viewed them and similar devices as being gimmicky but it really adds to the experience. Feels very similar to being on a suspended floor. I liked them so much that it will most likely be my next purchase. Thanks SOWK for having me over and showing my girlfriend and I your theater.
Thank you for the extremely nice comments. I worked hard to get my theater to this point and this helps me know it was worth the time and investment.

It was a pleasure talking with you as well, as you seem to have a good foundation of knowledge within this hobby. Not everyone understands crossover points, time delays, roll-off slopes, or how to get the most out of their equipment.

I look forward to seeing your system as well. Thank you again for nice comments!
xvfx likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #99 of 103 Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,692
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1670
This one slipped by me. Great job on the room and as others have said, It looks as good as I know it sounds. Quite a few JTR speaker based HT's have been HToM and yours is a great addition to the club.
Congrats on a terrific no compromises space.
SOWK likes this.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #100 of 103 Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,571
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
The latest 2019 photo’s:



---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-27-2019 at 09:51 AM.
SOWK is online now  
post #101 of 103 Old 06-28-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,354
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 1845
Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #102 of 103 Old 06-30-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I was able to visit Tony's upgraded theater yesterday, and posted my impressions of the D-BOX upgrade in his theater thread:

SOWK's Home Theater Build



Scott
SOWK likes this.

srw1000 is offline  
post #103 of 103 Old 02-14-2020, 06:57 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,571
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Minor 2020 updates:


Two additional subs added behind the back left and right theater chair on the riser
Lowered the Surrounds and Rears to Dolby Atmos approved height
Removed one rear chair to accommodate the new lower speaker stand layout.

Wrapped the front crown molding with black velvet to help reduce reflections even more.



carp and nonstopdoc1 like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Home Theater Of The Month

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off