What Is Your Favorite Source for Downloading Music? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Source for Downloading Music?
Amazon 66 14.67%
CD Baby 9 2.00%
HDTracks 63 14.00%
iTrax 3 0.67%
iTunes 94 20.89%
Pono 3 0.67%
Rhapsody/Napster 11 2.44%
Other 102 22.67%
I don't download music 99 22.00%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 139 Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool Digital backups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Had a scare this summer when my unbacked-up 2TB external drive refused to read. It only contained my FLAC music library, over ten thousand photos I've taken with my DSLR (I like to do landscape photography), all my tax files, forty years of word processing and spreadsheet files, all my downloaded installation files. Get the picture? My whole life!

After a week spent trying to clone the drive prior to doing data recovery, which meant baby-sitting the drive 16 hrs a day while it ran for an hour before stalling and requiring an hour or two before resuming, reading 0.01% of the drive each time, I staged a digital jailbreak and shipped the drive out to Drive Savers in California, which took it apart in their clean room, recovered all the data, and shipped back to me on a new drive. Cost me around $2,500.

Moral: Always have a backup! I now have three copies of the drive in different locations, which I try to keep in synch by copying changes to each other over the net.
I was taught to keep three backups of my digital music. One is in my house, two is in my office and three is at my sister's house. Odds are against all three burning down. I started an iCloud iTunes match account, but it screwed up many of my songs.
cambridgehank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 139 Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I wish we had that kind of selection in Canada.. We are either forced to use Itunes, hope the artist allows downloads from their website, or pirate.
Spit29 is offline  
post #123 of 139 Old 04-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Brien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I usually rip my own CDs, HDtracks is a good alternative (selection is lacking a lot of times), iTunes if I must.
Brien is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 139 Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I only buy music in an actual physical format. Either CD or vinyl is acceptable, but I will never ever pay for a download. Music without a tangible item that I can hold in my hands just isn't good enough.
DaveK_ND is offline  
post #125 of 139 Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
I used to buy music from russia at 1 cent a song...that was 20 years ago tho...

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #126 of 139 Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
smdelaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Greater Boston, MA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Like others who have commented previously I find the restricted choices in poll responses inadequate and tending to skew the results to something less than useful.

90% of my music collection is on CD and 99% of that is ripped to 320k MP3s. I keep one copy on my desktop, another on an external USB drive, another on a flash drive in my car and another on a Micro SDX card in my phone. 9% of my library is on vinyl, and about 60 % of that is duplicated as CDs. Maybe 1% of my music is downloaded and the majority of that is from Google Play Music where I can get the same quality as my own CD rips. The rest came from Amazon, and that mostly to use the occasional free promotional credits.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
smdelaney is offline  
post #127 of 139 Old 05-31-2018, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have a good percentage of my 316 CD's ripped as ether mp3's or wma files at 192KHz on my pc. I have a handful of SACD's and DVD-A's and a decent amount of vinyl records. The only download service I ever purchased from was iTunes. I think I purchased about 3-4 albums and about 8-11 singles from iTunes and about 3 episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica. I have never been impressed with downloaded music and just don't care for the entire listening experience. After figuring out that I could not watch any of the Battlestar Galactica episodes on my living room tv which is my home theater set up from my pc in my bedroom. I just stopped purchasing tv shows and music from iTunes! I have no purchased anything from iTunes in at least 2 years and I honestly do not care to purchase anything from any internet service as far as internet downloads and or digital streaming. I do not see value in paying as much as a physical copy when you do not own it. Especially when it comes to movies as not only does it seem to not be on the same quality level as a disc but if you loose internet your in trouble! You also do not have much choice in titles with lossless audio surround sound or choices in immersive audio! When it comes to iTunes I have no interest in having to purchase a Apple TV to watch content on my display. I could stream music straight off my pc but it is a hassle and I would rather sit down and listen to a vinyl record or a CD. Again I just do not see value in spending money on something I can not see or touch and I hate that there are so many recordings that have had the loudness applied to the point there are no dynamics of the original recording left. I have ultraviolet codes registered on Vudu but that is incase the disc goes bad or my movies get stolen! I don't think there is a solitary movie on Vudu that plays back with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #128 of 139 Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Member
 
southleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington state
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK_ND View Post
I only buy music in an actual physical format. Either CD or vinyl is acceptable, but I will never ever pay for a download. Music without a tangible item that I can hold in my hands just isn't good enough.
Ha-ha, I know what you mean. After building a collection of LPs and CDs over several decades it's hard to NOT want a physical item you can hold in your hand. But, wait, what if some downloaded music sounds BETTER than your CDs? This is certainly the case with a variety of releases over the last several years.

Our CD collection numbers over 800 discs, and we've ripped them all to a hard drive on our computer. (We also have backup copies of the collection.) For ripping we used the best software out there, dBPoweramp, which in turn uses Accurate Rip. All discs are ripped in .wav format for maximum fidelity (no compression whatsoever, no dropped bits).

An example of excellent-sounding downloadable music is the catalog from Linn records. They have many fine fine recordings which are also fine performances (otherwise, what's the point?). It's mostly classical and jazz with some Scottish folk music here and there. You can listen to samples of almost every album, in fact every track, on their website. Try clicking on the best quality 24-bit FLAC samples here:
http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...ravaganza.aspx

These recordings aren't cheap, but they ARE very good. And, remember, if you download music you can burn it onto blank CDs or blank DVDs a very low cost. That way you have the music and the physical disc. There are also other record labels and websites which offer similar quality and, for all i know, a wider selection.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but my listening experience has shown me that some downloadable music is superior in sound quality and equal or better in performance quality compared to my CD collection.
southleft is offline  
post #129 of 139 Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Member
 
southleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington state
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I have a good percentage of my 316 CD's ripped as ether mp3's or wma files at 192KHz on my pc. I have a handful of SACD's and DVD-A's and a decent amount of vinyl records. The only download service I ever purchased from was iTunes. I think I purchased about 3-4 albums and about 8-11 singles from iTunes and about 3 episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica. I have never been impressed with downloaded music and just don't care for the entire listening experience. After figuring out that I could not watch any of the Battlestar Galactica episodes on my living room tv which is my home theater set up from my pc in my bedroom. I just stopped purchasing tv shows and music from iTunes! I have no purchased anything from iTunes in at least 2 years and I honestly do not care to purchase anything from any internet service as far as internet downloads and or digital streaming. I do not see value in paying as much as a physical copy when you do not own it. Especially when it comes to movies as not only does it seem to not be on the same quality level as a disc but if you loose internet your in trouble! You also do not have much choice in titles with lossless audio surround sound or choices in immersive audio! When it comes to iTunes I have no interest in having to purchase a Apple TV to watch content on my display. I could stream music straight off my pc but it is a hassle and I would rather sit down and listen to a vinyl record or a CD. Again I just do not see value in spending money on something I can not see or touch and I hate that there are so many recordings that have had the loudness applied to the point there are no dynamics of the original recording left. I have ultraviolet codes registered on Vudu but that is incase the disc goes bad or my movies get stolen! I don't think there is a solitary movie on Vudu that plays back with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio.
Regarding listening to your music collection at home, allow me to describe how we do it. Our CD collection is ripped to a hard drive on our living room PC which is our home theater computer (HTPC). All of our computers, including our other PCs and laptops in different rooms, have file and folder sharing enabled in Windows. They also have media streaming enabled. There are many tutorials that show how easy it is to set this up. After you do it on one computer you can zip through the same steps on other computers in about two minutes each - seriously! I would be happy to provide a step-by-step guide if you wish.

We also use out HTPC to record all our TV shows so that we can pause or skip through commercials, etc. All those recorded shows (except for HBO) can be played on every other computer in our home just as easily as we can play our music collection. Once you're set up to share music over your home network, you can also share all the TV recordings.

Regarding music quality, let me just say that iTunes and others provide .mp3 compressed sound, not the full sound of the original recordings. The full sound is uncompressed and takes up 500MB to 700MB of space. That's how we ripped our music - uncompressed for the original quality of sound. Hard drives are so inexpensive these days that one can reasonably afford a couple of 1TB or 2TB drives to store a full quality uncompressed music collection. Use one for listening and keep the other as a backup copy.

Let us know here if you want us to post the steps for sharing music around the house.
southleft is offline  
post #130 of 139 Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Regarding listening to your music collection at home, allow me to describe how we do it. Our CD collection is ripped to a hard drive on our living room PC which is our home theater computer (HTPC). All of our computers, including our other PCs and laptops in different rooms, have file and folder sharing enabled in Windows. They also have media streaming enabled. There are many tutorials that show how easy it is to set this up. After you do it on one computer you can zip through the same steps on other computers in about two minutes each - seriously! I would be happy to provide a step-by-step guide if you wish.

We also use out HTPC to record all our TV shows so that we can pause or skip through commercials, etc. All those recorded shows (except for HBO) can be played on every other computer in our home just as easily as we can play our music collection. Once you're set up to share music over your home network, you can also share all the TV recordings.

Regarding music quality, let me just say that iTunes and others provide .mp3 compressed sound, not the full sound of the original recordings. The full sound is uncompressed and takes up 500MB to 700MB of space. That's how we ripped our music - uncompressed for the original quality of sound. Hard drives are so inexpensive these days that one can reasonably afford a couple of 1TB or 2TB drives to store a full quality uncompressed music collection. Use one for listening and keep the other as a backup copy.

Let us know here if you want us to post the steps for sharing music around the house.

Thank you for your offer but that will still not allow me to play tv shows downloaded from apple's iTunes. For a while I actually had a ethernet cable going from my router to the 4K blu-ray player connected to my 55" 4K UHD TV. I was able to play music and video files from my pc in my bedroom. I have Dish Network with a DVR so I am able to record content from my provider. To my knowledge I am not able to access content on my Dish Network DVR and watch it on my pc. I use Windows 10 which does allow me to stream music and movies or video files to my 4K blu-ray player. My A/V receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-05 which is a 7.1 with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. When I switched to Dish Network I had a promotion where I got all the movie channels free for 3 months so I have movies recorded on the DVR in HD only but unfortunantly they are in Dolby Digital EX and I really do not like the old Dolby format used on DVD's. Back in the DVD days I was very anti Dolby and was not even impressed with Dolby Digital Plus to be honest with you. I used to have Netflix but that also used Dolby Digital and in regards to streaming via Vudu I hated that movies ether had Dolby Digital or some only where in stereo. I see no reason to pay for that huge step back into Dolby Digital.

There is a older pc in the living room but it is hardly used and no point watching anything on that with a 55" 4K display with surround sound in the same room. So I do not have a real problem getting music to my receiver in the living room as even music downloaded from iTunes plays over the network just fine. But it is the tv shows/movies that can not be sent from my pc to the 4K blu-ray because it doesn't recognize the format and even then I do not want to purchase an Apple TV. And if I want to actually watch those episodes I actually purchased them on Vudu. I know digital content is the big thing now but I do not see any value in it especially since if I get to a point where I can no longer afford internet which currently I am not working then what. I will not be able to watch the movies that are digital content and right now yes storage is cheap but finances are in the toilet so I can not even afford to buy a blu-ray and for sure can not purchase a hard drive even though I can get a 4TB for under $200.

Some reasons I do not bother with digital content:
You do not own the content and only are purchasing the license to listen or view.
No internet no content
Even with some large hard drives and or a NAS with tons of hard drive storage unless you use a raid configuration and a drive dies if you do not have internet there goes all your content.
Little to no content offering Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Atmos and or DTS-X.
Alot of the video quality especially the newer movies is not to bad but not as good as properly mastered discs
I have actually had movies lag and I have a 150mb download and upload connection using fiber optics
And I admit that after one dies does it really matter that you do not outright own the movies, maybe not but you also have nothing to hold in your hands and you still have to have internet!

I have a pc in my room with a LG 4K display and a 4K resolution EVGA video card and I also have a audio cable going out from the sound card to my older Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver powering two bookshelf Polk speakers and a powered polk 10" subwoofer. I do not even listen to music on that and that is where all my mp3's/wma is stored. I have the ability to watch Vudu on the pc but I have a hard time wanting to even watch it with the pc and that is with a 43" 4K monitor and before that was a LED 1080p 27" flat panel which I hated to watch anything on.

I do have a question for you out of curiosity? Your method of viewing/sharing content across all the computers on the network. How do you navigate the content without having to go to another room and send the content to a complaint device? Not sure how you can navigate the content from a tv? When I said it was a pain in the rear it was from the stand point that I had to go to my room and select the content and hopefully the file would be compatible with the blu-ray player. To keep this off the site and subject if you wish here is my email if you would like to use that, [email protected]

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #131 of 139 Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Member
 
southleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington state
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
Thank you for your offer but that will still not allow me to play tv shows downloaded from apple's iTunes. For a while I actually had a ethernet cable going from my router to the 4K blu-ray player connected to my 55" 4K UHD TV. I was able to play music and video files from my pc in my bedroom. I have Dish Network with a DVR so I am able to record content from my provider. To my knowledge I am not able to access content on my Dish Network DVR and watch it on my pc. I use Windows 10 which does allow me to stream music and movies or video files to my 4K blu-ray player. My A/V receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-05 which is a 7.1 with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. When I switched to Dish Network I had a promotion where I got all the movie channels free for 3 months so I have movies recorded on the DVR in HD only but unfortunantly they are in Dolby Digital EX and I really do not like the old Dolby format used on DVD's. Back in the DVD days I was very anti Dolby and was not even impressed with Dolby Digital Plus to be honest with you. I used to have Netflix but that also used Dolby Digital and in regards to streaming via Vudu I hated that movies ether had Dolby Digital or some only where in stereo. I see no reason to pay for that huge step back into Dolby Digital.

There is a older pc in the living room but it is hardly used and no point watching anything on that with a 55" 4K display with surround sound in the same room. So I do not have a real problem getting music to my receiver in the living room as even music downloaded from iTunes plays over the network just fine. But it is the tv shows/movies that can not be sent from my pc to the 4K blu-ray because it doesn't recognize the format and even then I do not want to purchase an Apple TV. And if I want to actually watch those episodes I actually purchased them on Vudu. I know digital content is the big thing now but I do not see any value in it especially since if I get to a point where I can no longer afford internet which currently I am not working then what. I will not be able to watch the movies that are digital content and right now yes storage is cheap but finances are in the toilet so I can not even afford to buy a blu-ray and for sure can not purchase a hard drive even though I can get a 4TB for under $200.

Some reasons I do not bother with digital content:
You do not own the content and only are purchasing the license to listen or view.
No internet no content
Even with some large hard drives and or a NAS with tons of hard drive storage unless you use a raid configuration and a drive dies if you do not have internet there goes all your content.
Little to no content offering Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Atmos and or DTS-X.
Alot of the video quality especially the newer movies is not to bad but not as good as properly mastered discs
I have actually had movies lag and I have a 150mb download and upload connection using fiber optics
And I admit that after one dies does it really matter that you do not outright own the movies, maybe not but you also have nothing to hold in your hands and you still have to have internet!

I have a pc in my room with a LG 4K display and a 4K resolution EVGA video card and I also have a audio cable going out from the sound card to my older Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver powering two bookshelf Polk speakers and a powered polk 10" subwoofer. I do not even listen to music on that and that is where all my mp3's/wma is stored. I have the ability to watch Vudu on the pc but I have a hard time wanting to even watch it with the pc and that is with a 43" 4K monitor and before that was a LED 1080p 27" flat panel which I hated to watch anything on.

I do have a question for you out of curiosity? Your method of viewing/sharing content across all the computers on the network. How do you navigate the content without having to go to another room and send the content to a complaint device? Not sure how you can navigate the content from a tv? When I said it was a pain in the rear it was from the stand point that I had to go to my room and select the content and hopefully the file would be compatible with the blu-ray player. To keep this off the site and subject if you wish here is my email if you would like to use that, [email protected]
OK, i emailed you at the address you provided.
southleft is offline  
post #132 of 139 Old 06-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Member
 
southleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington state
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
Thank you for your offer but that will still not allow me to play tv shows downloaded from apple's iTunes. For a while I actually had a ethernet cable going from my router to the 4K blu-ray player connected to my 55" 4K UHD TV. I was able to play music and video files from my pc in my bedroom. I have Dish Network with a DVR so I am able to record content from my provider. To my knowledge I am not able to access content on my Dish Network DVR and watch it on my pc. I use Windows 10 which does allow me to stream music and movies or video files to my 4K blu-ray player. My A/V receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-05 which is a 7.1 with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. When I switched to Dish Network I had a promotion where I got all the movie channels free for 3 months so I have movies recorded on the DVR in HD only but unfortunantly they are in Dolby Digital EX and I really do not like the old Dolby format used on DVD's. Back in the DVD days I was very anti Dolby and was not even impressed with Dolby Digital Plus to be honest with you. I used to have Netflix but that also used Dolby Digital and in regards to streaming via Vudu I hated that movies ether had Dolby Digital or some only where in stereo. I see no reason to pay for that huge step back into Dolby Digital.

There is a older pc in the living room but it is hardly used and no point watching anything on that with a 55" 4K display with surround sound in the same room. So I do not have a real problem getting music to my receiver in the living room as even music downloaded from iTunes plays over the network just fine. But it is the tv shows/movies that can not be sent from my pc to the 4K blu-ray because it doesn't recognize the format and even then I do not want to purchase an Apple TV. And if I want to actually watch those episodes I actually purchased them on Vudu. I know digital content is the big thing now but I do not see any value in it especially since if I get to a point where I can no longer afford internet which currently I am not working then what. I will not be able to watch the movies that are digital content and right now yes storage is cheap but finances are in the toilet so I can not even afford to buy a blu-ray and for sure can not purchase a hard drive even though I can get a 4TB for under $200.

Some reasons I do not bother with digital content:
You do not own the content and only are purchasing the license to listen or view.
No internet no content
Even with some large hard drives and or a NAS with tons of hard drive storage unless you use a raid configuration and a drive dies if you do not have internet there goes all your content.
Little to no content offering Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Atmos and or DTS-X.
Alot of the video quality especially the newer movies is not to bad but not as good as properly mastered discs
I have actually had movies lag and I have a 150mb download and upload connection using fiber optics
And I admit that after one dies does it really matter that you do not outright own the movies, maybe not but you also have nothing to hold in your hands and you still have to have internet!

I have a pc in my room with a LG 4K display and a 4K resolution EVGA video card and I also have a audio cable going out from the sound card to my older Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver powering two bookshelf Polk speakers and a powered polk 10" subwoofer. I do not even listen to music on that and that is where all my mp3's/wma is stored. I have the ability to watch Vudu on the pc but I have a hard time wanting to even watch it with the pc and that is with a 43" 4K monitor and before that was a LED 1080p 27" flat panel which I hated to watch anything on.

I do have a question for you out of curiosity? Your method of viewing/sharing content across all the computers on the network. How do you navigate the content without having to go to another room and send the content to a complaint device? Not sure how you can navigate the content from a tv? When I said it was a pain in the rear it was from the stand point that I had to go to my room and select the content and hopefully the file would be compatible with the blu-ray player. To keep this off the site and subject if you wish here is my email if you would like to use that, [email protected]
After rereading your post i realized the video link which i emailed to you yesterday only partially covers what you asked about. Will email a second link sometime today.

Basically, the PC in our livingroom is connected to the TV and sends music, live and recorded TV programs to the TV.

A digital tuner box (HD Homerun Prime) sends TV reception to the PC. The PC sends it to the TV., or the PC records chosen TV shows for playback later on the TV.

Most recorded TV programs plus the entire CD collection can be streamed to any computer in a different room.

Certain "protected content" TV recordings can only be played on the PC and TV in the livingroom. They cannot be streamed to another room or PC. Mostly, these are movies recorded on HBO. (Not a problem for us because our big screen and best speakers are in the livingroom.)

Our CD collection is copied/ripped onto the PC's hard drive, and the PC sends any and all of this music to the TV. All of this music can be streamed to any computer in another room.

We have never tried using our Sony Blu-ray player as a "portal" for accessing or streaming because 1) the Blu-ray is in the living room and connected to the TV and 2) the PC can already accept content streamed from another room, though we don't often need to do that.

If your other TVs are new enough/smart enough, you might be able to share/stream media from one TV to another. BUT, "restricted content" could seriously limit it.

Your setup may have "restricted content" issues that prevent you from sharing/streaming your stuff from iTunes, VUDU, HULU, or wherever.

Your Blu-ray player can play some file types but not others. Is there an update (firmware update) for your Blu-ray that might support more file types?

The link i'll email you today shows how easy it is to access/stream music, etc. to a different room. You do it from the different room, so there's no need to go to the room where the media is stored (assuming both computers are turned on, of course).
southleft is offline  
post #133 of 139 Old 06-17-2018, 12:05 PM
Newbie
 
LukeScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Usually I don't download music from the network, but if I really like something, I choose iTunes
LukeScott is offline  
post #134 of 139 Old 06-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Member
 
southleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington state
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Only download from the interweb when it's free.
southleft is offline  
post #135 of 139 Old 06-29-2018, 03:37 AM
Newbie
 
Wowsbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I like CDs, it's much more great than online music

Experience Deal+Gift, Win Amazon Gift Cards.
Wowsbox is offline  
post #136 of 139 Old 08-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How To Upload Music To Google Play Music

if I have music on my phone taking up storage I downloaded off the web can I move it to Google play cloud and delete the files off my phone to save space
klimbo13 is offline  
post #137 of 139 Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Member
 
Derek Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
These days I'm still buying CDs as they are $1 each, many times unopened and sealed. Used and scratch free is fine as well. We were mobile DJs so already had more than 3000 CDs all collections, greatest hits, best of, and remasters. I rip mine to mp3 at 320Kbps. I keep all the original CDs in albums without the bulk and weight of the jewel cases, so the more the merrier. My ripped mp3s are better fidelity than most streaming services will ever have. But if I want original I can pull the CD and play it. I'm 66 and retired military who between DJing and running weapon qualification with live fire, I'm lucky to hear anything! (grin)
Derek Jr is offline  
post #138 of 139 Old 10-12-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BruZZi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: ORLANDO, FL
Posts: 7,201
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 771
BruZZi is offline  
post #139 of 139 Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dude111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
I mostly look for MP3s or whatever of songs I wanna listen to.... Sometimes I convert from youtube to MP4 or whatever...... I dont like the sound as good but if I really wanna listen I do it that way...





When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.

Last edited by Dude111; 03-27-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Dude111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off