HT of the Month: The Hodor Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #61 of 79 Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkup View Post
I wish there were some comments at the HTOTM section from the reviewer about his personal impressions from the theater.
I don't usually visit the theaters I profile; as someone else said, the US is a big place! Obviously, I do visit the theaters in which I shoot video, but not the other ones in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I don't usually visit the theaters I profile; as someone else said, the US is a big place! Obviously, I do visit the theaters in which I shoot video, but not the other ones in general.
A shame, really. Would be nice to have profiles of non-lifestyle theaters from AVS staff or members who know what to listen and look for. There must be some here who advocate for ideal image and sound while disregarding, to a large degree, the over-the-top aesthetics.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #63 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

It's all about getting the biggest possible image you can fit, and the aspect ratio shouldn't needlessly limit you further.
Actually, it's not. Most of us with front projection likely screen the vast majority of films we see in that single theater. So there's going to be somewhere around 50/50 for "scope" and 1.85. Why would someone choose to watch an episode of GoT followed by, say, Lucy where the tv show looks like a giant IMAX and the would be impressive scope presentation is relatively small!? No thanks.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just adding another Olathe resident to the chorus of congrats. Great theater!
chirpie and ChldsPlay like this.

post #65 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Congrats kevin. I still remember the first time you visited my HT a few years ago because you brought your girlfriend and she was really into it! I was kind of shocked Because you would say things like "yeah we want to do something just like this" and I kept expecting her to maybe tone it down a bit and say well dear let's not get too excited.......but she was all in! Glad you held on to her. Great story.

My first movie in the theater with my wife was singing in the rain. Audio and video quality are NOT extraordinary. Awful if I'm honest. But you did the right thing by watching a meaningful film first with her. Well done.

I do wish Scott could actually visit all of the theaters of the month. Is it just not in the budget?
post #66 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 714
More about Kevin's room since Scott was not able to provide impressions. I recently brought my Samsung uhd player over there with some local enthusiasts so we could watch deadpool in atmos. It was fantastic! Just great sound coming out of those JTR mains and tight bass from the captivators. The room is very cohesive regarding audio. I know that jeff Meier recently did a calibration. I did not get to hear the room prior to the calibration but it sounds great now. I really enjoyed the atmos and dts x demo material he ran for us. I did not detect timbre differences in the speakers when listening to movie clips. The room is set up and treated well. More than enough good amps coming from his avr to drive the JTR well last reasonable listening levels and clean as a whistle!
post #67 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
More about Kevin's room since Scott was not able to provide impressions. I recently brought my Samsung uhd player over there with some local enthusiasts so we could watch deadpool in atmos. It was fantastic! Just great sound coming out of those JTR mains and tight bass from the captivators. The room is very cohesive regarding audio. I know that jeff Meier recently did a calibration. I did not get to hear the room prior to the calibration but it sounds great now. I really enjoyed the atmos and dts x demo material he ran for us. I did not detect timbre differences in the speakers when listening to movie clips. The room is set up and treated well. More than enough good amps coming from his avr to drive the JTR well last reasonable listening levels and clean as a whistle!
How was the volume for you guys up front? I think I had it down around -5 and it was plenty loud in the back, but I wasn't sure if it might have been too much up front being so close to the JTRs. I had only listened to maybe 5 minutes of Deadpool before the movie night, but I don't remember what volume I had it at when I was testing (mostly checking if the Dune Hard Drives got the movie okay).

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #68 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I do wish Scott could actually visit all of the theaters of the month. Is it just not in the budget?
I have the same wish, but I'm afraid it's not in the budget.
post #69 of 79 Old 06-02-2016, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Outstanding! Congratulations!
post #70 of 79 Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Out of curiosity, have you had any HTOTM located outside the US?

Oh and a very nice HT, the wife loves the look of it.
ChldsPlay likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #71 of 79 Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Kickass HT! WooT! Closed on my house June 1 and your HT gives me inspiration.
ChldsPlay likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #72 of 79 Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well, I didn't get an answer to my question about the screen masking, so I am hesitant to ask another question, but here goes anyway..

Why all the different vendors for the sound absorption panels? RPG, Auralex and Kinetics? I am currently building a high-end HT and am wrestling with this aspect of the room right now. Thanks for any help.
post #73 of 79 Old 06-03-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
What part of the build thread talks about the screen masking? Thanks
I don't really think I talked about it too much. There might be some pictures with them up in the last 3-5 pages.

Simple panels that have tabs at the bottom and magnets at the top. They are AT as well, with a thin strip of velvet on the inside edge.

I don't know about the vendors.

LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
post #74 of 79 Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Well, I didn't get an answer to my question about the screen masking, so I am hesitant to ask another question, but here goes anyway..

Why all the different vendors for the sound absorption panels? RPG, Auralex and Kinetics? I am currently building a high-end HT and am wrestling with this aspect of the room right now. Thanks for any help.
There are of course many more vendors than those listed (Real Traps, Quest, GIK, etc), why?
Because it's a global market for good/qualified acoustic products and consultants - supply/demand gives opportunity.

If you don't want the 2-3 year immersion it takes to get up to speed on acoustics, yep reading quite a few books and then learning by doing, I suggest you look for an acoustic plan (again, many to choose from) from a 3rd party, possible Nyal Mellor @ Acoustic Frontiers among others, or the Erksine group, etc.
post #75 of 79 Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Very nice!
post #76 of 79 Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey Kevin, great theater. Question: How does the Yamaha receiver compare in ease of use, setup, etc to the Onkyo? I haven't owned a Yamaha since before the HDMI era, but I've been considering making a similar transition from my current Onkyo.
post #77 of 79 Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhen View Post
Hey Kevin, great theater. Question: How does the Yamaha receiver compare in ease of use, setup, etc to the Onkyo? I haven't owned a Yamaha since before the HDMI era, but I've been considering making a similar transition from my current Onkyo.
Well, the UI is a lot more featured than my old Onkyo was. I'm not sure if more recent models have a more robust interface, but the Yamaha definitely has more to work with than the Onkyo.

I'd say it's fairly easy to use and setup. I think setting up the scenes could be done a little better with how you select which settings to include. I didn't really have any problems with it though. I am not sure how easy the YPAO is to setup since I had everything manually calibrated.

post #78 of 79 Old 10-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Big fan of this theater and build thread. I'm curious what your height from floor to projector is. I have a similarly sized space but I have an I-beam in the middle of mine and am trying to figure out if it's going to cause me issues or not.
post #79 of 79 Old 10-04-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1z1997 View Post
Big fan of this theater and build thread. I'm curious what your height from floor to projector is. I have a similarly sized space but I have an I-beam in the middle of mine and am trying to figure out if it's going to cause me issues or not.
It's maybe 79" or so from the floor. It's about as high as I can get it. That's about 12" from the ceiling (give or take). I had to get it low enough so that it got to the top of the screen. It's just below the level of my shallower interior soffit. I haven't had any issues with it except the last time I had a friend over they stretched out their arms when they yawned when the movie was over and bumped it. I had to realign it afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page