Poll: HDR TV vs. Front Projection for UHD/4K HDR Home Cinema - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What's the ultimate way to watch a 4K HDR movie at home? Projection or TV?
Projection is the best way to watch 4K HDR movies at home 306 65.52%
Today's TVs can't be beat for watching 4K HDR movies at home 161 34.48%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 135 Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 3135
Bottom line: space, $s, and, last but not least, wife approval. (Last item not in the equation if single. Definitely required if married!)
Wife approval for TV, will probably out weigh a projection system. (Projection system may cost twice as much when you factor in an appropriate wife cave to compensate!)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 135 Old 10-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
720p Projected > 4k/HDR TV?

Peak brightness is irrelevant for movies, as it is a not considered when movies are being shot/made... So TV's supposed "advantage" dissapears...

I don't think Kubrick or Spielberg, thought about "nits" when making any of their movies...

TV is just more convenient and accessible... It's great that large, high quality TVs are finally available so that we can enjoy movies casually in our living rooms, but they don't compare to the real thing...

I'd go as far as say that I'd rather watch a good DVD projected 100"+ on a decent upscaling projector than the best 65" OLED showing the 4K/HDR disc of the same movie... The scale isn't comparable... That's how big the gap is...

I only wish I bought a projector for the spare room sooner... HD projectors have been reasonably priced for years... The projected image is so much more cinematic than having light shot at you from a TV screen
Uppsalaing is offline  
post #63 of 135 Old 10-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Once you delve into projection, it's extremely hard to go back to TV regardless of how good it is. The difference is night and day!
imagic and Uppsalaing like this.

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 135 Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Member
 
holtrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Projection is where it is at for me.

That said, I haven't experienced good 4k / HDR in a home theater setting. I am sure it is fantastic but I will never go back down from a 135" screen.

I was recently thinking about stepping up into a 'Faux K' or one of the newer 4k projectors coming out this winter. I spent that money on moar subwoofers, new atmos receiver / speakers, room treatments and I had enough left over to buy a new lamp for my trusty old Epson 3020. I figure by the time my replacement lamp is dimming projection technology and 4k content market saturation will be where I want it to be to jump in.

Bottom line is: Me and my family couldn't lose a full 70" of screen size. It just wouldn't work for us and I don't care how great the picture is.
ToddUGA and Uppsalaing like this.
holtrp is offline  
post #65 of 135 Old 10-21-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,480
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
I've got the Sony A1E (bedroom), the LG 65"C7(living room) and a JVC 420 on a 108" screen (HT room) If its in a HT room, theres no way you can beat a good projector. The HDR on the JVC is meh but the size and outstanding PQ make up for the one thing it can't do great. The OLED's are also amazing but the visual impact of the big screen outweighs the HDR and amazing PQ of the OLED IMO

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #66 of 135 Old 10-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My first HD device was a Panasonic AX100 720" projector thrown onto a 108" screen. I loved that thing and was blown away by it. My latest projector is a JVC RS49/X500. I loved that thing too until I got an LG C6 OLED and a TV bracket that enabled me to pop out 20 inches from the wall and tilt down. I end up sitting 1 meter away and get a better immersion level than I could with a 120" screen due to the tilt.

I still had a soft spot for my PJ so did a test - a fair A vs B on a variety of content. The LG blew the PJ away - you start accepting crappy washed out contrast due to room reflections even in a velvet curtain laden batcave. Real contrast looks spectacular even on SDR content and that's before we get started on HDR.

I used to always recommend PJ's but now TVs have them beat in all but dedicated multi row theatres. In the next 5 years I don't see how PJ's are going to compete with 75"+ OLED's and within 10 years 100"+ when even those big theatre type setups would be better suited to a TV. What projector lovers like is immersion - with bigger screen sizes coming projection technology will die off just like RPTVs years ago.
audiofan1 likes this.
rxp91 is offline  
post #67 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Jish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 106
From reading all the posts here, it seems that there is clear bias towards projection for the immersion factor above all else. Being a hard core PJ enthusiast and having a dedicated HT, I see where they are coming from. To better test out the proposed question, I spent a few hours yesterday doing some side by side comparisons of the top of the line OLED ($10K), Sony VPL-VW675 light based 4K PJ ($15K), and the Sony VPL-VW5000ES laser 4K PJ ($50K) watching the same UHD demo content along with some movie clips from reference UHD discs with HDR. Hands down, the $10K OLED TV simply could not be beat for resolution, contrast, color saturation, etc., on viewing UHD. While the $50K laser PJ was quite nice, it was still not as pristine or dynamic a picture as what the OLED could do, and fell short of what you see at a DOLBY cinema. The $15K PJ looked almost identical to my Runco Q750i LED PJ at 1080p!

That being said, at the end of the day you are watching an amazing picture on a smaller screen and lose the immersive experience that draws you into a movie. So unless you are willing to drop $100K+ on a commercial projection system, or $3 million on a Sony video wall, I don't believe that consumer projectors will ever bring the level of detail that current televisions can bring to take full advantage of the technology available today. It will be interesting whether or not large emissive panels will eventually replace current projection systems in the near future which would provide the best of both worlds. For now, if you own a PJ enjoy it and don't waste your money on a 4K model for at least another 3-4 years when the cost and technology becomes more reasonable. The marginal improvement in PQ is seriously not worth the hole in your wallet.
Bill, R Johnson, audiofan1 and 1 others like this.
Jish9 is offline  
post #68 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp91 View Post
My first HD device was a Panasonic AX100 720" projector thrown onto a 108" screen. I loved that thing and was blown away by it. My latest projector is a JVC RS49/X500. I loved that thing too until I got an LG C6 OLED and a TV bracket that enabled me to pop out 20 inches from the wall and tilt down. I end up sitting 1 meter away and get a better immersion level than I could with a 120" screen due to the tilt.
...
If you have to sit 1 metre away from your TV, that kind of proves how much better a projector is for home cinema... unless maybe it's a cinema for one
Cam Man likes this.
Uppsalaing is offline  
post #69 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post
If you have to sit 1 metre away from your TV, that kind of proves how much better a projector is for home cinema... unless maybe it's a cinema for one
And when 75 inches becomes cheaper, then 85, then 100 you move your seat back. Projectors are never going to cope with room reflections or higher nits. Direct view can and in principle the only limiting factor is size which changes every year.

And really I don't need to sit 1m away from a 65. That's for IMAX level immersion which is fine for a couple. At normal viewing angles most with AT screens have it's 1.9m. any bigger an angle and you start seeing the perf.

I have both and wife and I prefer the oled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
rxp91 is offline  
post #70 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 03:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I voted TV, as the question was specifically addressing HDR, and so far I've not seen a home projector do HDR well.
In fact the HDR I've seen on projectors looks poor. Disabling HDR and just using DCI colour, to my eyes looks best on a projector.

It'll be interesting to see how HDR support develops on projectors.


James.
thx1138uk is offline  
post #71 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp91 View Post
And when 75 inches becomes cheaper, then 85, then 100 you move your seat back. Projectors are never going to cope with room reflections or higher nits. Direct view can and in principle the only limiting factor is size which changes every year.

And really I don't need to sit 1m away from a 65. That's for IMAX level immersion which is fine for a couple. At normal viewing angles most with AT screens have it's 1.9m. any bigger an angle and you start seeing the perf.

I have both and wife and I prefer the oled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Interesting, i understand your point of view, but i still think TV isn't there yet size wise and the TV aspect ratio for 2.35 movies makes it even that much smaller...

Sitting closer has it's limits as moving forward to reach snacks, or leaning back changes perspective far too much at these smaller screen sizes.

I wonder if we'll see OLED panels in 21:9 ratio and decent sizes like 85"+ anytime soon... That will be much more interesting, but I'd imagine it would be a niche product for some time. Even than, it's still direct light, which isn't as dreamlike as the projected image...

As an aside, I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not sold on the idea of having a big TV in the living room. To my mind the living room is multi use and for relaxing. I find these large 65" TVs far too big aesthetically speaking and if I had no other room, then I'd probably go smaller as I go to the cinema often... But if you're going to have a dedicated movie room, might as well max out the size through projection...

Last edited by Uppsalaing; 10-22-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Uppsalaing is offline  
post #72 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If "at home" wasn't included in the question, i would say Projection for sure. But in this case, TV's is the best way.
Uppsalaing likes this.
Joce is offline  
post #73 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: las vegas
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joce View Post
If "at home" wasn't included in the question, i would say Projection for sure. But in this case, TV's is the best way.
Our local church just moved up from having 2 Christies on 2 300" screens to a full 300" LED walls. When they played the stories on the PJ the room was dark and it stayed dark during the presentation because the PJ only illuminates the screen. Now when they play the stories on the LED wall...it looks like a baseball park in there, everything gets illuminated, people, chairs, stage.....its just distracting and makes you focus on other things rather than the film or story. After 75'' any tv will just be TOO bright for a home room. Unless the TV is placed on a living room or a room with a lot of ambient light, which will still take away the cinema experience that is meant to be watched on a dark room with the least amount of distraction possible. I dont think for the next 5 years any projector will come close to projecting anything close to 4K HDR images like the ones of OLED TV screens. its pretty simple, want to enjoy real 4k HDR, get a tv, want true cinema experience , get a projector. Lets not forget that cinematographers use lenses on their cameras to achieve that film like look on the movies that is 100% intended for projection. The moment you put that on a TV its a complete different feeling. this topic can get pretty deep when you look at all the variables of what kind of image you get. It all comes down to preferences and what kind of content you are watching.
audiofan1 and Uppsalaing like this.
canillo is offline  
post #74 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 03:59 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I am at a crossroads currently so I see both sides of this debate. I've been dealing with projectors for the last 5 Years. Previously I was a TV fanatic who would upgrade every two years. Watching movies on a 65 inch or smaller TV in between two large pro cinema speakers is just pure weak sauce.

Doesn't matter how great the image is. It's just not enveloping. However at times I do grow tired of all the issues with the projection industry. As stated before price gouging is huge. Having to use overpriced bulbs, bulb dimming and having to constantly watch shows and movies in a dimly lit or dark room is downright depressing at times.

If I could find a really good laser projector in the future for below $3,000 that might change my mind on things however I'm starting to lean back towards TVs if they can get 85 inches to 100 inches around $2,500. If that day comes I do think using a projector at home will be dead in most houses besides people with large dedicated rooms.
Uppsalaing likes this.
LumensLover is offline  
post #75 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
JonnyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I have both a 1080p 120” projector and 65” Vizio UHD P-series TV. I think the question is flawed.

A TV will always produce a better HDR and 4k image. However a projector, whether it is 4k or 1080p will be more immersive and will provide a different experience.

In our house, the Hdr UHD Vizio is everyday viewing. We use the projector for weekend movies.
Cam Man and Uppsalaing like this.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon s730H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
JonnyVee is offline  
post #76 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,049
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3069 Post(s)
Liked: 7425
I've got both in the same room and can't decide so choose not to pick just one, because I don't have to.

65" LG OLED and JVC X750(RS500) and electric 120" screen
~9 foot viewing distance (eyes to screen)



When cropped to the same size the images don't look much different...

65" OLED


JVC at 120"


A LOT more screen shots of both here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54662760

...So image quality is relatively close for most content, My OLED looks better with Dolby Vision content no doubt.
But the Size is a HUGE advantage when you consider the JVC throws a picture at the size of FOUR 60" TV's

I just recently added 3D to my JVC and can't imagine getting the same level of immersion watching a 65" TV.

When an affordable 120" OLED can be delivered to my home in a rolled up wallpaper format, I would be tempted to upgrade my 65".
But on the other end of the scale, maybe a cheaper 4K Laser Projector will be available by then that can match the peak nits required for DV.

Until then I don't have to choose. TV 5 days a week, JVC on Weekends.
Having both also saves me burning through two $500 JVC Lamps in a year.

wallfly and Uppsalaing like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-22-2017 at 06:15 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #77 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Why? Do you consider the latest huge solid state displays that can replace the older projection based system in cinemas to be inferior? I thought your comment about solid-state display being a TV experience was a hoot. When they video master physical media do you think they are looking at a series of projectors and screens? Times have changed.

Yes here's a TV
that's cool, but it's gonna take some getting used to! It's bad enough going to the commercial cinemas and having to hear everybody, soon we'll have to see them too! takes away from the engagement i think, i get distracted by the room if it's easily visible and prefer that 'window floating in space' effect.

still, i hope to experience a screen like that someday soon. it HAS to be an upgrade on what the local theaters are using currently...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #78 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The only reason for a "big" screen is because a lot of people are watching it- ala a theater. If you want a bigger screen with your TV, just sit closer to it. If they start making home projectors that are better than TVs then that is a reason to have one but TVs are better for the foreseeable future. It seems that projectors are always "trying" to catch up to TVs.
Bill is offline  
post #79 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by canillo View Post
I think we are looking at this the wrong way. there is no point in having a projector in a non light controlled room, the picture will suck, also the amount of light output a 75" OLED or QDOT tv will put out in a controlled room will hurt your eyes.... sometimes causing you to bring the TV's brightness down,and that will just affect the HDR experience. In my room I have both, and even with the "small" 65inch tv , I need some ambient light on to avoid being blinded by the brightness the TV puts out, but when using the projector I need the room to be 100% dark, otherwise the projectors blacks become gray and the picture sucks. Now that being said, If someone gives me the most incredible OLED or QDOT tv to replace my projector, I will say" HEEEELLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Ive had the privilege to own any TV I wanted, and I was happy with all my upgrades, but nothing will ever compare to the feeling I had when I installed my projector, made me not wanna watch a movie ona TV ever again.
i think you solved your own concern. Just turn some lights on when using the brighter display. or tone it down to what's comfortable in a dark room.

if i won the lottery, i'd probably mount whatever the largest W7 screen is behind an AT projection screen. having not won the lottery, i can't justify the expense of a current oled(let alone the w7) as a 'secondary' display used for ambient light viewing. and my preference is that all critical viewing be done in as dark of room as possible, so i'm going to choose big over bright for the foreseeable future


for me, the idea of the tv/projector combo was never limited by a difference in brightness, but that it's really hard to set up a room for comfortable viewing distances on both. in my old house, i had a room about 11 x 20, and originally i preferred the room being wide and sitting only about 6 feet from the display(which was a 46" RPTV at the time). when i went projector, i reoriented the room to be narrow, and had two rows of seating. it was great for the projector on a 120" screen, but the tv was really inadequate from the back row. after some more changes i had a 64" plasma and a 100" projector screen, and even then it was like the front row of seating was barely close enough to watch tv on the plasma. anything scope looked tiny. it's certainly convenient to have a 'tv' for casual viewing, or ambient light viewing. but ultimately i always found it was 'second class' viewing in a way. and with the state of the tv market today, you really need to spend some good money to get something without some glaring, deal-breaker of a flaw. it just seemed weird to have a tv that cost more than my projector, being used for casual viewing. i mean, that's what i still use it for today, but it's now in the living room(a casual environment for casual viewing) and the theater has only the projector. it does now feel strange to have 80% of my a/v budget in the room that gets 20% of my use, but i guess there isn't a perfect solution, there's no way to have one system that's best at everything.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #80 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 72
If you won the lottery why not get a 120" TV? You could even get an 8K one. I think I read that Seth Rogan just had a 150" TV installed in his home theater. Theaters are looking to go with TVs because they can't compete with TVs PQ. I believe it is the main reason ticket sales are down.

Last edited by Bill; 10-22-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Bill is offline  
post #81 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Newbie
 
olepro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For me sound matters to give a good movie experience, and off course screen size.

What i really like with my projection is that i can hide the speakers behind my sound transparent screen.
Looking at the picture and hear the sound coming "out of it" is a great experience.
This is not possible with any tv, yet.
So i will be waiting for the sound transparent oled screen material ;-)
olepro is offline  
post #82 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Interesting results.

I voted TV because, well, they just wipe the floor with projectors in EVERY category except size. I get it, size matters, but modern TV's are VERY good and they get bigger, better, and cheaper all the time. I mean just look how many fewer screen uniformity issues there are now vs just a few years ago, even though size and peak brightness continue to climb.

Projection is just old tech, regardless of how many laser lights or cryogenically treated decoupling lenses the newest box has. I get the whole argument of feature films being rendered a certain way as to make HDR TV's not preferable, but technology marches on. How long before either: 1. Feature films will be created and mastered to be consumed at home instead of the theater? or 2. TV tech will be able to emulate any kind of projection rig, possibly even with the necessary command to do so within the films coding to begin with. It's getting harder to ignore that TV's are just better. Once they reach 100" for under $10k, lights out (pun intended) projectors.

EDIT: One thing I will concede for projectors is the ability to place speakers behind the screen. That's nice, and can be a pretty big deal.
i think it's fair to say that both tv's and projectors have made some large leaps forward, followed by some small steps back(usually when a new, immature tech is first released). i think the only thing giving tv's an edge right now, is that oled is starting to come into its own, yet is still very young. projectors haven't really had 'new tech' since lcos, which seems to be pretty mature, simply making incremental improvements each year. laser/led light sources could be the next thing, but it's currently in a 'step back'(either being far worse PQ, or far higher price) phase.

still, projectors have become WAY cheaper, WAY better, and imo, this happened WAY faster than tv's in the past 15-20years. 20yrs ago, i couldn't dream of projection because it would take 10k in renovations just to hang the 300lbs crt projector, let alone the cost of buying and maintaining one. when i think about tv's, my parents bought a 'top of the line' 32" sony CRT for a little over 3grand in the 90's, my brother bought a 'high end' 46" hitachi RPTV for just under 3grand around 2005, and I bought a 64" samsung f8500 for just under 3grand in 2013. today, i could get a 55" oled for about 2500 or 65" oled for a little over 4grand. don't get me wrong, that's a nice trend of some major upgrades for the same amount of money, but with projectors over the same period of time there's probably a 30k drop in price and the difference between lcd/dlp projectors in early 2000's to today is staggering. if they can get solid state light engines to perform as well as today's lamp based units for the same price, that's as significant an improvement as oled's reaching 100+ inches, imo.

the other thing going for projectors is(oddly enough) convenience. the thing that's been their biggest downfall, may soon be an advantage. If tv screens don't adopt some kind of modular design or rollable screen, there's going to be a practical limit on how big tv's can get before they are a major pita to get home and set up. i mean, i can bring home a 140inch screen and projector practically on a bicycle, but i'd have to rent a truck to get a 65" tv home. this is by no means a deal breaker, but it is worth considering.

imo, there's going to be a significant difference in terms of pros and cons between the two for a long time to come yet. there is basically no chance that projectors will surpass tv's in brightness, features, or the ability to compete with ambient light. and i think there's also little chance that tv's will surpass projectors in screen size for the money, or figure out a way to create an AT screen. neither market is standing still, they continually get better at what they do. i have tv's and projectors for over a decade and i still can't imagine replacing any of my tv's with a projector, or my projector with a tv. they are simply good at different things, and i predict it will continue that way as they both get better at different things.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #83 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The only reason for a "big" screen is because a lot of people are watching it- ala a theater. If you want a bigger screen with your TV, just sit closer to it. If they start making home projectors that are better than TVs then that is a reason to have one but TVs are better for the foreseeable future. It seems that projectors are always "trying" to catch up to TVs.
and yet, i have to disagree.

without claiming one is better or worse, it absolutely feels like a different experience to watch a screen twice as big from twice as far away.

i mean, my laptop sitting on my chest is far more 'immersive' if we just crunch the numbers.

as for you last claim, it's very biased. the other side(also biased) would suggest that no tv on the market has come anywhere close to the screen sizes of current projectors(say 120-130") and while tv's have been getting bigger, they haven't been getting much better(save for maybe oled). so if tv's major improvements is size, then they are clearly chasing projectors. and that's how you make misleading arguments...(to clarify, i don't believe any of that, but i feel it's equally fair as what you said)


the truth is, both projectors and tv's are trying to 'catch up' to real life. they each have their strengths and weaknesses, but the end goal is the same, to present the most life-like image possible. projectors aren't trying to look like tv's, and tv's aren't trying to look like projectors. it's because of this that one can PREFER one over the other, even though there is no clear winner in all cases.

it's unlikely that you are going to change your viewing distance to suit your screen size. far more likely you'll set your furniture to suit your room, then try to buy a screen big enough to work with that viewing distance. and as resolution increases, the size 'needed' for a specific room increases. it's not impossible to find a tv big enough for many rooms, but to say the only reason to go with a projector is to allow more people to watch is not true, at least not for everybody. even then, there is a clear difference between tv and projectors, and as long as there is a difference people will have a preference. i just happen to prefer the look of projection.

i would also say that many projectors(when in a suitable room) are better than about 90% of the tv's on the market. better in that they have deeper blacks, higher contrast, better uniformity, and more accurate colors. whether it's a tv or a projector, quality makes a BIG difference. i'd definitely take a high end tv or an entry level projector and vice versa
Uppsalaing likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 10-22-2017 at 10:59 PM.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #84 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,120
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The only reason for a "big" screen is because a lot of people are watching it- ala a theater. If you want a bigger screen with your TV, just sit closer to it. If they start making home projectors that are better than TVs then that is a reason to have one but TVs are better for the foreseeable future. It seems that projectors are always "trying" to catch up to TVs.
Wow, a lot of not-really-right stuff in there.

The reason for a big screen is for a big image, not merely numbers of people. Sitting closer to a TV does not make it "bigger" it makes it closer. Our brains know the difference. Increasing field of view (by moving closer) does not automatically fool our brains something is bigger. If that were true, we would be continually baffled about the size of objects depending on distance: "Hey that car parked down the street is only the size of a shoe-box. Wait, now that I'm closer it's bigger than I am! I can't figure out how big this thing is! What sorcery is this???!!!"

Our brains have multiple ways of judging the size of an object so it understands the size, close or further away. When I move closer to my computer monitor, my brain doesn't think "Wow, I'm at an IMAX theater" it just says "I'm closer to the small moniter image."

Right now I'm using a beautiful 5K iMac monitor and at my usual seating distance it actually fills more of my FOV than my projection screen. But it never feels like I'm watching a really big image. When I watch video clips, shows or movies on my computer monitor never do they feel "big" as they do effortlessly on the "actually big" projection screen. That's why people buy projectors.

BTW, I used a plasma for many years and did everything in my power to make the experience more immersive - always watching with the lights out, making the area behind it completely black so the room disappeared, it was on a projecting arm so I 'd bring it out close to me. I was nonetheless craving more immersion and - before I'd considered projection - I extensively demoed the 65" Panasonic plasma, set on getting that. I watched it from quite close in the store demos, and at home I was trying to figure out how to arrange my furniture so I'd be viewing it close and immersive, but without the furniture looking silly with respect to the seating distance. To help me get my viewing distance to the plasma I borrowed a fairly cheap business projector from my pal. I projected a 65" image on the wall to mimic the plasma size, experimented with seating distances for immersion, etc. Then for the heck of it at one point I zoomed the image big on the wall and...whoah!...it blew my mind! I re-arranged the seating back further, for the bigger image, and it was still a completely different experience than sitting closer to the smaller projected image. Or sitting close to my existing plasma. It was effortlessly BIG and the very first time I had a truly cinematic feeling. I played some scenes from Jaws, one of my favorites, and for the first time since I saw it (30 times) in the cinema as a boy, the shark looked BIG again, life-sized, and menacing.

Put on Star Wars, and, again...for the first time since it was in the cinema, it looked cinematic. The spaceships no longer looked like the toy-size I'd grown to expect via watching it on TVs or my plasma - they looked BIG again.

For a movie fan like me, there was no going back after finding out I could have that experience in my own home.

I ended up making a variable image size system with 4 way masking (so the screen changes size and shape to accommodate any movie AR - another benefit of projection), and use a JVC RS600 projector with amazing contrast.

If sitting close to a flat panel were equivalent, then all my friends who own flat panels wouldn't be continually wanting to watch sports and movies at my place.
Many times friends/acquaintances who have watched a movie on the big projection screen have told me later "I was watching a movie on my (flat panel) TV and I couldn't help think how much better it would be watching on your screen!"

Now, all that is NOT to say there's anything wrong about someone preferring a gorgeous OLED to projection. But you can't expect the immersiveness and the sense of commanding sense of size as a big screen, even sitting close. (And sitting THAT close to a TV screen can feel awkward or uncomfortable for some people).
Aja and Uppsalaing like this.

Last edited by R Harkness; 10-22-2017 at 10:42 PM.
R Harkness is offline  
post #85 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,882
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If you won the lottery why not get a 120" TV? You could even get an 8K one. I think I read that Seth Rogan just had a 150" TV installed in his home theater. Theaters are looking to go with TVs because they can't compete with TVs PQ. I believe it is the main reason ticket sales are down.
maybe, after viewing one i would decide to go that way. but based on my current experiences, i simply prefer the look of projection. i prefer a dark room, and what is now considered a 'dim' image on screen. it'd need to be larger than 120", but since we're talking lottery money, let's just assume i could get an oled in whatever size i wanted. The advantage of that would be the perfect blacks, not the extra brightness. i suspect i would have to find a way to tame that brightness, so as to not be overwhelmed by it on such a large screen. I had to do some voltage tweaks to my 64" plasma before i was able to get it down to a comfortable viewing brightness(for a darkened theater, now that it's in my living room, i could have easily left it)

i can only speak for myself, but the reason i don't go to the theater is because it's too bright(the room, not the image) and i find it too distracting with all the lights, all the people, etc. To get truly immersed in the movie, i want to be able to focus on the screen, and i do that best when there are no other visual or auditory cues to remind me i'm sitting in a large room with 200 strangers. for many years now, the home projector has been able to provide a far more pleasing viewing experience than at a commercial theater. it is my opinion that ticket sales are down, because home projection has gotten very good for very cheap! now maybe, if we had massive oled theaters, that would give something that couldn't be matched at home. maybe it's just in how you look at it. is the at home experience better because home projection is so good, or because commercial projection is so bad? i prefer to watch movies on my projector at home, so i tend to believe it's because home projectors are so good, there's no need to go to a commercial cinema. but i will completely respect your opinion if you disagree, because i also think commercial projection is quite terrible right now.

and after all that, the easy answer is the AT screen. it's not a deal-breaker, but i do appreciate the effect of having the speakers behind the screen, rather than around it. for that reason alone, it would take a lot of convincing to not go with a projection system

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 10-22-2017 at 11:02 PM.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #86 of 135 Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well, that is why they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream.
Uppsalaing likes this.
Bill is offline  
post #87 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,120
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well, that is why they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream.

Agreed.

It's just, normally, nobody claims that chocolate ice cream becomes the same as strawberry just by moving closer to it.
R Harkness is offline  
post #88 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Agreed.

It's just, normally, nobody claims that chocolate ice cream becomes the same as strawberry just by moving closer to it.
But vanilla has more nits!
whipit likes this.

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
Uppsalaing is offline  
post #89 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
JediFonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 37
are there any native Dolby Vision projectors affordable to consumers? not talkin projectors that'll accept the signal, but actually reproduce the nits spec'd by DV.

currently (at the time of the post) TV seems the best method to do so.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
JediFonger is offline  
post #90 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,357
Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8745 Post(s)
Liked: 15268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
are there any native Dolby Vision projectors affordable to consumers? not talkin projectors that'll accept the signal, but actually reproduce the nits spec'd by DV.

currently (at the time of the post) TV seems the best method to do so.
There are none, period.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
4k tv , hdr , projection , uhd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off