Poll: HDR TV vs. Front Projection for UHD/4K HDR Home Cinema - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What's the ultimate way to watch a 4K HDR movie at home? Projection or TV?
Projection is the best way to watch 4K HDR movies at home 306 65.52%
Today's TVs can't be beat for watching 4K HDR movies at home 161 34.48%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #91 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
with that in mind, wouldn't folks want to watch the best HDR there is via Dolby Vision OLEDs vs. any other alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
There are none, period.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8810 Post(s)
Liked: 15464
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
with that in mind, wouldn't folks want to watch the best HDR there is via Dolby Vision OLEDs vs. any other alternatives?
If that's the part of the experience you seek, sure. Maximum contrast with deepest blacks = OLED. But, OLED maxes out at 77".

If someone wants to see more detail in a 4K presentation, a bigger screen from projection helps with that. If they want multiple people to share a visually immersive experience, again projection. Maybe they find audio coming from the screen to be a convincing and only acoustically transparent will do, you'll find quite a few HT enthusiasts who feel strongly about that.

So it really depends on what you personally want from the experience because the optimized HDR Dolby Vision offers is just designed for TVs. HDR10 can be adapted algorithmically to display nicely on projectors and then you get the other benefits size confers, and the audio benefit as well if you are really into replicating the commercial cinema experience.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #93 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Agreed.

It's just, normally, nobody claims that chocolate ice cream becomes the same as strawberry just by moving closer to it.
Thank goodness my TV doesn't turn into a projected image by getting closer. Yeah and if you were to sit 50ft from your projected image, that wouldn't change anything for you although it might much more resemble a TV.

Last edited by Bill; 10-23-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

i'm sure larger OLEDs are coming down the pike. from what i understand projection has reached its limits without some scientific breakthrough and even commercial cinema is due to switch from projection to panel displays for optimal color/light outputs for next DV cinema:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...ection-1022191

re: in the world of convenience, 4k details is lost to mass consumers and only the niche of a niche audiences will pick at the 4k details i think.

but if DV were somehow made available on 4k that'll give it the boost it needs on projection size.

re: acoustically transparent, i dunno how commercial speakers behind screen works but on the home front even the best acoustically transparent will mask audio quality from center channel... so this is a challenging proposition (in addition to the costs required to have such a screen).

Quote:
If that's the part of the experience you seek, sure. Maximum contrast with deepest blacks = OLED. But, OLED maxes out at 77".

If someone wants to see more detail in a 4K presentation, a bigger screen from projection helps with that. If they want multiple people to share a visually immersive experience, again projection. Maybe they find audio coming from the screen to be a convincing and only acoustically transparent will do, you'll find quite a few HT enthusiasts who feel strongly about that.

So it really depends on what you personally want from the experience because the optimized HDR Dolby Vision offers is just designed for TVs. HDR10 can be adapted algorithmically to display nicely on projectors and then you get the other benefits size confers, and the audio benefit as well if you are really into replicating the commercial cinema experience.

seems like they are slowly trickling through.

i read somewhere that all movies that go through color timing process is all DV setup and that HDR10 vs. DV is only a consumer thing only. at the end of the day the original movie master files utilize the full DV colors.

if that's truly the case then all those UHDs will be re-released with DV vs. HDR10 later on (double/triple dipping is the normal on physical media).

i believe the subject title is 4k HDR not just 4k resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
If there were an equal amount of 4K/UHD titles available in DV, you would almost have a good point.

Right now there are only a handful of 4K/UHD's available with DV (that are actually worth watching)
I lost count of how many 4K/UHD's are out with HDR, but I'm going to guess its approaching 300?

I've only got about 80 4K/UHD's, of those only 6 have Dolby Vision,
and of those, maybe 3 worth watching more than once.

I've enjoyed the DV titles I've seen on Netflix on my OLED,
but they are not good enough to waste any bulb time on the JVC.

I know we are specifically talking about 4K,
but I also like watching upscaled 1080p and 3D on the projector too. (400+ BD collection)
Now the playing field is almost leveled quality wise and size trumps all.

post #95 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I went through this debate myself when I was designing my new home.

My good friend recently did a home theater with a screen in the basement. It is amazing - however there have been some growing pains with ability to control light and the noise of the projector itself. It also seems to give off a fair amount of heat.

After considering that I have decided to go with a TV in my theater room. The TV itself hasn't been purchased however the more I think about it the more I feel a 75" minimum will be required. This thread has convinced me that 75"+ LED over a 65" OLED is worth the disadvantages.
Bill and audiofan1 like this.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
post #96 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Eventually projection systems will be replaced with flexible OLED (FOLED) displays. You'll be able to "unroll" a 100+ inch FOLED onto your wall.
post #97 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I vote projector for many reasons, but one of the biggest for me it's that TV displays are too bright, I feel like I'm staring onto a flashlight. Projectors are fully immersive without having to scream at the viewer. Sometimes more (higher brightness, more vivid color) isn't always better.

I also love having to turn my head to see opposite sides of the screen. It makes it a lot easier to get lost in a movie.
PioManiac, Bandyka and Uppsalaing like this.
post #98 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

how does commercial projection work? are there 12bit commercial projectors used for dolby theaters?

post #99 of 135 Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

you didnt search far back enough 🤣

i have realy old gears from before i got married. afterwards, there is $0 towards ht upgrades

got an older defective 720p projector and a westy 37 from way back in the day. the plasma was just a lucky find 🤣

a man can dream tho right? after i can have budget for ht again, maybe 12/16bit panels will arrive?

just waiting for tech to catch up to my vision 👍🏿

Quote:
Do you actually have a Dolby Vision capable display? or a 4K/HDR projector?
...or are you still using your 2012 50" HD 1080p TC-P50U50 Plasma TV as your main display?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post54987478

post #100 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Woow I thought this poll would show the exact opposite result, I am certainly very happy with my setup of the projector and prefer it over my TV.
Uppsalaing likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #101 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 3158 Post(s)
Liked: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Woow I thought this poll would show the exact opposite result, I am certainly very happy with my setup of the projector and prefer it over my TV.

I have my 65" OLED and JVC with drop down 120" screen in the same room, both very 4K/HDR capable for over a year now.
I even run them simultaneously with split screen half/half and ask guest which they would prefer to watch the movie on.

...no one has ever picked the TV, ever!

It's been the same story going back almost a decade when I set up my first HD dual display Plasma/Projector setup.

I think it's because almost everyone already has a TV at home, its pretty easy to drop a credit card at the local Best Buy and you're done.

A well setup Home Theater with a projector takes a lot more dedication to get things just right, you have to calculate throw ratio and screen size, screen gain
mount your screen perfectly square to the room and the projector, mount the projector at the correct location and adjust lens position, focus etc.

Then there are room treatments required to control light reflections that can bounce off the screen and off walls ceilings and floors that wash out contrast,
Many here wrapping most of their rooms in black velvet to control stray light, some even create home made masking panels for displaying scope movies on a 16:9 screen.

Of course it goes without saying many also pay Very close attention to getting the very best audio reproduction from ATMOS/DTS:X material,
by incorporating 7.1.4 speakers, some even hook up multiple AVR's to Matrix out 9.1.6 speakers if they can't a afford higher end processors.
Of course AVS has its own section for SubWoofers . Four subs in the 15" to 18" range seem excessive to the average consumer,
..on AVS we call that a good start.

Sure there are people here with TV's just as dedicated to great audio,
but I would bet dollars to donuts that there are FAR more running projectors with massive audio setups.
Its almost required to create a home cinema...most projectors don't come with sound bars after all.

It's not like you can plug a projector in like a TV and immediately start watching your movies.
Anyone can do TV with very little effort, Projectors are on a whole new level where we are trying to re-create (some would even say exceed)
what we get from the local cinema.

...right down to the powered leather recliners with tactile transducers , LED lit cup holders and our very own commercial grade pop-corn poppers.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone without a projector,
I'm sure many go to those extents with their TV's too, but you are likely in the minority on this forum.
Uppsalaing likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #102 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Tv enthusiasm has been vanquished in this poll
post #103 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Mine Hasn't been diminished one nit
Bill and Uppsalaing like this.
post #104 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
True, but I'm sure most of the projector users also have decent TVs for less dedicated viewing

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
post #105 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder what percent of the people on this forum have a projector.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #106 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 3158 Post(s)
Liked: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I wonder what percent of the people on this forum have a projector.
I'll bet EVERYONE on this forum has at least 1 TV, even PJ owners

I have 4 TV's and 2 projectors
Uppsalaing likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #107 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the percentage is low and most of them have come to this thread.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #108 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Huh? I fail to see the relevance. This was in reply to a deleted post. One that I did not appreciate.

Last edited by Bill; 10-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.
post #109 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll bet EVERYONE on this forum has at least 1 TV, even PJ owners

I have 4 TV's and 2 projectors
And that answers my question how? I own at least 8 TVs, what does that have to do with anything? I'll put down one person towards the percentage with a projector from your reply. I assume it is 4K/HDR.

Last edited by Bill; 10-24-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #110 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So according to your cited post there is no difference between TV and projection quality but size. Which can be evened by sitting distance. You seem to be in the minority of 4k/hdr projector owners who have posted here that a projector is better than a TV. I think we have a much higher percentage of Projector owners posting than TV owners who don't believe that. I could be wrong but I might be right.
post #111 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Why not sit just a few inches away from a 24 inch tv for an immersive movie experience.
post #112 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not making a judgement based on bias. I'm calling it as I see it, just like you are. I'm saying I believe there are a lot more forum members with my opinion who aren't posting. Were not talking about immersive TV experience, were talking about the best way to watch 4K/HDR. I take that to mean picture quality. If that is on a phone I'm not biased to say can't be. I guess you projector people will never be able to get into VR. Excuse me for presenting the possibility that this poll is skewed and there might be lots more people who disagree with you and agree with me. Posting pictures of your home theater is not going to change my mind. I pushed you over the edge, omg, what have I done. Do I care-no. Just like you, I get to watch what I think is the best picture.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by Bill; 10-25-2017 at 12:01 AM.
post #113 of 135 Old 10-24-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why not sit just a few inches away from a 24 inch tv for an immersive movie experience.
If it is the best picture I can get, why not. VR is inches away. I don't think the best monitors TV people work with are big.
post #114 of 135 Old 10-25-2017, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
There are none, period.
I dont believe in posting pictures of a tv against projector because chances are the camera will never be able to capture the differences, the display tech on a OLED tv are truly amazing in person. I took a few pictures already with my camera and could not really tell the difference when displayed on my computer,so Im posting pictures of the set up to give an idea of what both set ups look like. TV is 65" and projector is 120. speakers are 54" tall and 12" wide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2304416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2304418  
post #115 of 135 Old 10-25-2017, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I think there are two issues worth noting.. first movies vs "content"..

When we ask what's the best way to watch a 4K HDR "movie", then there is no question in my mind that a projector is superior, because the cinematic experience of a movie undoubtedly requires scale... in my opinion. The viewer should not be bigger than the screen.

For scope movies (2.35 ratio) I would rather watch a good quality DVD on an upscaling projector with a 100"+ scope screen, than a 4K HDR Stream/disc on a 85" top of the line OLED... It's more cinematic, you'll feel more... The wide angle shots come alive at scale, which doesn't happen unless the screen is bigger, not just the perspective of sitting closer... And once you get to HD projected there is no contest.

If we were talking about watching 4K HDR TV shows, YouTube videos or video games then the higher end and larger TV sets start to look a bit competitive... Even then, with some shows that are shot cinematically, the Projector starts to pull ahead... But there is certainly more to debate here. I would not want to watch sitcoms or the news on a projector at all, but Mindhunter looks good as does Mad Men. But they don't really lose much impact on a large TV as they were clearly composed for the smaller screen.

@Bill

Second, I am very surprised by the poll's result as I thought there would be far more TV voters anyway and would skew the results simply due to their numbers...

Why aren't the TV folks voting? Is it because many haven't experienced home projectors and can't compare the two?

Last edited by Uppsalaing; 10-25-2017 at 02:46 AM. Reason: formatting
post #116 of 135 Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Best means best and sorry but at this time projectors(if ever) need not apply as the fall well short by "tv's" that "can" produce HDR/WCG and the looming 500lb gorilla in the waiting room Dolby Vision. Coulda woulda shoulda got a projector when upgrading as it was on the table before going with the Sony 940e? If and only if we were still dealing with 1080p I'd have one just for the sheer size but those days are gone now and since feeling the kiss of the sun by a display that produce well over a 1000nits while delivering deep blacks with movie content on a 75" screen coupled with effects and a musical score produced by an 7.1.4 audio suit,I can finally say those little things that could've been better for a cinematic experience have been delivered and has exceeded my expectations, I got my emotional connection to my content for some the best Cinematic moments since beginning this journey!

Happy with projection happy with a display

just enjoy the movie as that's all that really matters
MBullen and Uppsalaing like this.
post #117 of 135 Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My epson 8350 is still going as well. Having a large screen certainly makes a impact.

That being said if I didn't have a dedicated basement area I wouldn't even consider trying to make a projector work in my living room with larger flat panels being more common. I also find that I just don't care as much about having a huge screen anymore. Especially when a lot of new movies are mediocre reboots or sequels. I'm more interested in music.

I think the avs crowd will always prefer projection and for good reasons but that doesn't mean going with a flat panel is a bad choice either.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #118 of 135 Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Projection...appreciation for 4K is directly proportional to increasing screen size. Relative to HDR and DV...technology will eventually overcome present challenges for PJs.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 10-25-2017 at 07:50 PM.
post #119 of 135 Old 10-25-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Projection...appreciation for 4K is directly proportional to increasing screen size. Relative to HDR and DV...technology will eventually overcome present challenges for PJs.
Nits is nits
post #120 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
I have my 65" OLED and JVC with drop down 120" screen in the same room, both very 4K/HDR capable for over a year now.
I even run them simultaneously with split screen half/half and ask guest which they would prefer to watch the movie on.

...no one has ever picked the TV, ever!
Sitting at the same distance from both displays, that's not really that surprising when you're comparing displays with such huge size differences. I wonder if their preference would change if that 65" was moved closer so that it completely covers/overlaps that 120" projection screen, leaving everything else in the room unchanged.

So am I to understand that the other 435 people who voted in this poll also have both an HDR projector and HDR TV? Unless you own both and have watched the same content, I don't see how you can make an informed vote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
4k tv , hdr , projection , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page