Poll: HDR TV vs. Front Projection for UHD/4K HDR Home Cinema - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What's the ultimate way to watch a 4K HDR movie at home? Projection or TV?
Projection is the best way to watch 4K HDR movies at home 306 65.52%
Today's TVs can't be beat for watching 4K HDR movies at home 161 34.48%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #121 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3172 Post(s)
Liked: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Sitting at the same distance from both displays, that's not really that surprising when you're comparing displays with such huge size differences. I wonder if their preference would change if that 65" was moved closer so that it completely covers/overlaps that 120" projection screen, leaving everything else in the room unchanged.
How many people sit 5 feet from their 65" TV though?

I can't move my seating any closer due to my optimized audio layout for 7.4.4 ATMOS.
and I can't move the TV closer or the drop screen would fall behind it instead of in front.

at 9 feet from my 120" screen the viewing angle is ~ 52º

SMPTE closest is 62º, Reference is 45º

at 9' from my 65" screen, viewing angle is ~30º

To make them equal viewing angles would require the TV to be moved
to about 5 feet eyes to screen (~4' less than I have now)

Even "if" that worked as you suggest, it's only going to work for the center seat,
the people on the outside seats (3 seat power recliners that match my PJ screen width) are compromised.
Right now the view is awesome on the 120" screen from all the 3 seats....many here have seating for 6+

Guess I'll have to wait for LG to make a 120" OLED wallpaper display you can roll up for transport, (for less than $5K)
I could never get a panel that large down my stairs and around the corner
Doubt I could get a 77" OLED in there either, and they go for over $20K locally (Canada)

to reiterate from my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I have my 65" OLED and JVC with drop down 120" screen in the same room, both very 4K/HDR capable for over a year now.
I even run them simultaneously with split screen half/half and ask guests which screen they would prefer to watch the movie on.

...no one has ever picked the TV, ever!
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PJvsTV.png
Views:	437
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2305146  
Wizziwig likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 10-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
So am I to understand that the other 435 people who voted in this poll also have both an HDR projector and HDR TV? Unless you own both and have watched the same content, I don't see how you can make an informed vote.
TVs don't change depending on the room, so it's trivial to check them out without owning one...

I don't own a 4K HDR TV yet (waiting on renovations to be completed), but I have checked a lot of them out as I will get one for the living room.

There is no comparison between watching a 120" projection at 5 metres and sitting one metre from a 65" TV, the projector is much more cinematic. The image is bigger than you are, whereas the TV is still a smaller TV screen despite filling more of your field of view at that distance... And with scope movies you would need a much larger TV to even start comparing...

I'll probably get a 55" OLED for the living room so that it doesn't dominate the room... maybe 50" if they release a smaller model by the time I buy. TV image quality is excellent, but it's not the same level of immersion when the screen is smaller than you are... I've used the zoom function on my projector to test this...

It'll be interesting to see how many people will convert from projectors to TVs as TVs approach 100"... I think a lot will in multi-use rooms. I recommended an 85" TV to a friend over a projector for his games room as it is very bright and it'll be a much more casual environment...

Last edited by Uppsalaing; 10-26-2017 at 07:48 AM.
post #123 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post

There is no comparison between watching a 120" projection at 5 metres and sitting one metre from a 65" TV, the projector is much more cinematic. The image is bigger than you are, whereas the TV is still a small TV screen despite filling more of your field of view at that distance... And with scope movies you would need a much larger TV to even start comparing...
^^^^THIS

a view of the Earth from space doesn't have to be actual size, but shouldn't it at least "feel" larger than you?

Photos were taken just after setting up my first projector almost a decade ago

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Meanwhile, the silent majority is just as happy watching high/ultra high def content on their 5.5-10" handheld device. I suspect that is because of the ease with which they can access entertainment within their busy schedule.

As much as I love my 130-inch projection om a dedicated room and a 4K HDR TV in my living room, all connected together for my ultimate movie watching pleasure; I barely have the time to critically watch them. On the other hand, the viewing media on my 5.7" smartphone provides the convenience that most people seem to value these days. Oh, that small screen is HDR OLED Immersion be damned.

PS. I chose projection over TV by the way and I don't think my opinion will change for a long long time, because that is the ultimate way to watch a movie
Uppsalaing likes this.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 10-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #125 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My retired Epson projector racked up 13,000 hours in the ~8 years it was in service.

The JVC got about 600 hours in the first 4 months as my primary display for everything
That's tapered off considerably since adding the OLED last Black Friday.
(to help offset the cost of replacement lamps)

...now the PJ is mostly for weekends only.
Uppsalaing likes this.

post #126 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
^ How's this for an example: I have the Spider-Man Homecoming steelbook that arrived on the first day of its release... I haven't even had the time to tear the shrink wrap or break the seal yet. What a life...
post #127 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post

There is no comparison between watching a 120" projection at 5 metres and sitting one metre from a 65"
There isn't - the TV would be far more immersive in that scenario. The 65" from 1 meter would appear so much bigger than the 120" at 5 meters. The 120" @ 5 meters is only a 30 degree viewing angle and the TV is 71.5.

I get some of the arguments that real objects in the room make you feel a bigger picture so it's not just viewing angle. But it depends on your room.

It's entirely personal preference and the objectivity that people are claiming doesn't exist.

I just got back from the IMAX Laser to see Blade Runner and Geostorm. That's by far the best projector you can get - nothing in the consumer world has that sort of contrast or 3D performance it's amazing. The inherent weakness in front projection for HDR is you can see sparkles in bright spots due to the perf of the screen. On an AT screen you can't sit close enough to appreciate real 4k because you'd notice the perf.

I think PJ's ruled the SDR world but moving forwards. The only limitation for TV in providing a superior experience is size - that's going to go in 10 years. If you don't like the picture that bright - fine turn it down.

Even PJ screen makers are looking at electrostats to get over the limitation of perf for 4k res - https://www.avsforum.com/delair-proje...rs-smpte-2017/. Having holes in a screen isn't a good thing for high res/high contrast

After moving my viewing to 100% OLED only (Samsung s8, Galaxy Tab 10.5, Galaxy Tab Pro and LG OLED!) I'll give the PJ a shot this weekend when watching an older SDR movie. I think for those it'll hold up well because the dim picture and room reflections help cover up less pristine sources. Looking forward to firing it up again after a while.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #128 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
The idea of "immersion" is purely in your head. The mathematics are pretty simple use of elementary school geometry. A 120" screen at 15 feet will produce exactly the same size image to your eyes as a 60" screen at 7.5 feet. There are off-angle issues once you involve too many viewers as pointed out by PioManiac. For a single viewer, there is no difference. To complete the illusion, it would still be ideal to place the displays in a dark room so that there are no objects visible to serve as depth-cues for your brain. You should just see a floating screen of exactly the same apparent size surrounded by black background. And no, you can't compare displays using your memory - it's utterly unreliable and easily biased. That's why all proper display shootouts are done with all of them in the same room, properly calibrated, and showing the same content. I don't own either an HDR TV or HDR projector so don't really care about the results of this poll. But please let's stick to actual science instead of simply confirming/validating whatever product you currently own.

Anyone who actually owns both display types and wants to do a proper shootout can do so easily by temporarily mounting the TV on something like this. Makes it easy to position so that it perfectly covers up your projection screen and produces the exact same size image. You don't need to change anything about your seating or sound system calibration.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #129 of 135 Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
I have been running a front projector for tv and movies for the last 15 years or so and still pick the projector over tv, not only because of the image size, but also because the visuals look more real and natural compared to the hyper edged clarity and color saturation of tv's I see on display. In the end, whether a panel tv has eye popping clarity down to a microscopic level and infinite color possibilities, there is just the run of the mill news, tv dramas, mildly funny comedies, and the occasional movie, released to disc, which you hope will be semi decent, to watch on it. color me unimpressed.
Uppsalaing likes this.

Last edited by shivaji; 10-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.
post #130 of 135 Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp91 View Post
There isn't - the TV would be far more immersive in that scenario. The 65" from 1 meter would appear so much bigger than the 120" at 5 meters. The 120" @ 5 meters is only a 30 degree viewing angle and the TV is 71.5.

I get some of the arguments that real objects in the room make you feel a bigger picture so it's not just viewing angle. But it depends on your room.

It's entirely personal preference and the objectivity that people are claiming doesn't exist...
I understand the maths, which is why I chose those sizes to make my point . I really do think that part of cinema is for the screen to be larger than the viewer, not just the various THX, SMPTE viewing angles. It is my subjective and personal point of view that this matters as much as the immersion that the larger viewing angles provide.

I don't know if there is a term for the feeling, but I do think something cinematic happens when the screen is larger than the viewer.

Quote:
... And no, you can't compare displays using your memory - it's utterly unreliable and easily biased. That's why all proper display shootouts are done with all of them in the same room, properly calibrated, and showing the same content. I don't own either an HDR TV or HDR projector so don't really care about the results of this poll. But please let's stick to actual science instead of simply confirming/validating whatever product you currently own.
I agree if it was close, but it isn't... The gap is just too big.

Would you need a side-by-side, same room, same time, comparison to know that your 65" OLED is a better movie viewing experience than your ipad? Of course not. The gap is too big.

Now, if we were comparing a 100" OLED to a projector, then I agree that we'd need the side by side, but at the sizes we're discussing (sub 100" 16:9 ratio TVs), it is my personal and subjective opinion (is there any other kind? ) that the gap is so big that one can easily compare without having them side by side. Of course if I was making a database of my findings or running a review website, I'd have to take the objective approach of measuring and holding variables constant... luckily, I'm not in that business

As for validating choices, I have had to choose between OLED and projectors recently, while not having either so I have come to this topic fairly unbiased to existing equipment (I am biased towards 21:9 ratio screens due to my computer monitor and cinema going habit). As a result I have just bought a projector for a dedicated room and will buy an OLED once the contractor is done with the living room... if I had one multi-use room, I would have only bought a large TV ... horses for courses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Meanwhile, the silent majority is just as happy watching high/ultra high def content on their 5.5-10" handheld device. I suspect that is because of the ease with which they can access entertainment within their busy schedule.
^ I concur... I have seen my fair share of movies on my tablet when travelling, or on small airplane screens...

Last edited by Uppsalaing; 10-27-2017 at 01:01 AM. Reason: formatting
post #131 of 135 Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
I seldom go to movie theaters because of dim digital projection. Why would I want that garbage at home?

Reference article (2011):

https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jo...g-of-the-light

Last edited by Panson; 01-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #132 of 135 Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question I guess that my ignorance is bliss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I seldom go to movie theaters because of dim digital projection. Why would I want that garbage at home?

Reference article (2011):

https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jo...g-of-the-light

I really don't understand this comment on dim digital projection being garbage. Our little town's 5 year old theatre has fantastic digital projection. And no I have never measured it with anything.

I am running a 6(?) year old original bulb JVC X30 1080 O/H projector on a 2.35:1 135" Vutec screen only for movies, HBO, Netfix, Amazon Video streaming along with the ever fewer DVDs through a PS4 along with a fairly decent sound system (nothing too crazy). We still LOVE this setup and is so more enjoyable for watching movies compared to either of the other TVs in the house. Of course we do NOT have any 4K source materials for the TVs as our internet is kinda slow (18 mps at best) and our local Redbox doesn't have 4k rentals yet.

Last edited by EricU; 01-22-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Old Fat Bald...
post #133 of 135 Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I would love to have a projection set up but I am looking at having to move into an apartment sometime this year so that kills that! I just recently replaced my Samsung UN55F9000 4K UHD LED TV with a new Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED! So the Sony OLED is my primary display in my home theater system and I have a 43" LG 4K LED TV for my bedroom system I also use for my pc.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Receiver, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player,4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel, Klipsch RP-600M Surround Speakers, Advent Marbles (Height Speakers), HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. AudioQuest Cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands.
post #134 of 135 Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
building a HT room, but for now OLED is priority. Worried about how good the HDR will be but we shall see!
post #135 of 135 Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The other thing about HOME theater is the audio. Without decent audio the theater experience doesn't even matter to me.

I a 120 inch screen and 2 inches behind it a 75 inch led. I use the TV for times where my kids require lights to be on and for cable and streaming mostly (although my PJ is not 4K so until that changes we watch our 4K movies on the TV). The projector is dedicated movie time as we typically rent standard 1080p BR from red box and have less than 10 4k discs anyway. What really makes the experience for me is the great audio quality you get from discs that you just don't get from streaming or cable.

Best of both worlds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_103107.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	2569076   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_102958.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	2569078  

Last edited by Liquid$team; 05-20-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
4k tv , hdr , projection , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page