Home Theater of the Month - Submit Your Entry! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes

post #31 of 123 Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2309
Home Theater of the Month - Submit Your Entry!

I would absolutely love to submit my cinema for HToM and I'm so glad to see this feature is back!!! I built this room after getting married. and deciding I wanted to build the best room I possibly could in order to 1) provide my family with something unique and enjoyable, and 2) support my home theater obsession.

Here are some photos, and the build thread has the complete equipment list, price list, extensive pictures, not to mention links to a YouTube video series chronicling the entire build.

YouTube Video Series of the entire build process:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TmRJTz7WuC9hV_

Equipment is as follows:

DISPLAY
JVC DLA-RS520 4K Projector

SCREEN
Seymour AV Centerstage XD Curved Screen: 144" wide, 16:9 aspect ratio

SPEAKERS
Left, Center, Right: Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCR (3)
Wides: Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Side Surrounds (Front Row): Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Side Surrounds (Rear Row): Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Rear Surrounds: Triad Gold InWall LCR (2)
Atmos: RSL C34E Edgeless (6)
Subwoofers: Seaton Sound F18 Subwoofers (8)

AMPLIFICATION BY CHANNEL
Left, Center, Right: QSC DCA 1622 (3)--1600wpc each in monoblock configurations
Wides: QSC DCA 1644
Side Surrounds (Front Row): QSC DCA 1644
Side Surrounds (Rear Row): QSC DCA 1644
Rear Surrounds: QSC DCA 1644
Atmos: QSC DCA 1644+1222
Subwoofers: Seaton Sound 8000w RackAmp

PROCESSORS
Video: Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 w/ 18Ghz in/out cards
Audio: Anthem AVM60 Home Cinema Processor
Digital Signal: QSC Q-Sys Core 250i AND I/O Frame

SOURCES
Media Server: Nvidia Shield running Plex Media Server

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-18-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 123 Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 6696
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
AVS should do a stereo system of the month.. @imagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I agree. I was doing "sound system of the week" for a bit, but weekly was too much. Monthly could be fun, we'll see.
Isn't there an overlap though? For example, both the dedicated home theater and media rooms that I am currently building are designed to excel equally with respect to both music audio and movies/TV/video

Reddig likes this.
post #33 of 123 Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I would absolutely love to submit my cinema for HToM and I'm so glad to see this feature is back!!!

Here are some photos, and the build thread has the complete equipment list, price list, extensive pictures, not to mention links to a YouTube video series chronicling the entire build.
Spoiler!
Very nice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 123 Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Very nice!

Thank you! Are there build threads for the rooms you posted above? Both look to be beyond epic!!! Also, your comparison of 4k HDMI cables was PIVOTAL in my cable decision—thank you for your AVS contributions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #35 of 123 Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Are there build threads for the rooms you posted above? Both look to be beyond epic!!!
There will be soon

Quote:
Also, your comparison of 4k HDMI cables was PIVOTAL in my cable decision—thank you for your AVS contributions!
I will be doing a similar evaluation of 8K HDMI 2.1 cables as well. Here's the thread: HDMI cables which properly and reliably support 48 Gbps & HDMI 2.1

BrolicBeast likes this.
post #36 of 123 Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
I would absolutely love to submit my cinema for HToM and I'm so glad to see this feature is back!!! I built this room after getting married. and deciding I wanted to build the best room I possibly could in order to 1) provide my family with something unique and enjoyable, and 2) support my home theater obsession.
You are one of the best contributors at AVS - and I love your theater... love the front three seats and back 4 design.
Front center in Max's words - 'the selfish bastard seat'
Enjoy... beautiful
KBMAN and BrolicBeast like this.
post #37 of 123 Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
You are one of the best contributors at AVS - and I love your theater... love the front three seats and back 4 design.

Front center in Max's words - 'the selfish bastard seat'

Enjoy... beautiful

You are too kind. Thank you! Your room is off the charts....I hope you port the build details from the high end forum to a thread on the theater build forum!

Oh that Sweet Spot was a requirement from day one! As a recovering two-channel audiophile. The spot ain’t sweet until it has a sweet spot!!! Lol.

post #38 of 123 Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
@imagic - As a suggestion...perhaps there needs to be separate recognitions. HTOM for the hobbyist / DIY theater and perhaps a HTOQ for the full-on professionally designed and constructed theaters like Erskine, Nigel, etc. featured once per quarter. Just a thought.

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to separate categories. As much as I like my room, I know it can't compete in "wow factor" against those with 10-20x the space and budget
KBMAN, hnupe and ARROW-AV like this.
post #39 of 123 Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Looking good, Arrow!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Yes, looking fantastic Nigel !

Art
For some reason I keep experiencing a blue push whilst calibrating the projector...

...I can't figure out why!

KBMAN and JohnnyWilkinson like this.
post #40 of 123 Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For some reason I keep experiencing a blue push whilst calibrating the projector...

...I can't figure out why!

It’s the gamma....gotta be the gamma. Yup...gamma!

ARROW-AV likes this.
post #41 of 123 Old 07-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I saw this thread and thought, "Sweet, I'm going to submit mine" then I saw the pictures and immediately decided I was just going to see myself out.
post #42 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 05:14 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
I saw this thread and thought, "Sweet, I'm going to submit mine" then I saw the pictures and immediately decided I was just going to see myself out.
About seeing yourself out...

Absolutely not.

There are 12 months in a year, and doing a quick look at your build thread, you have an amazing space that is easily Home Theater of the Month material.
audioguy, srw1000, imagic and 3 others like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 07-23-2019 at 05:33 AM.
post #43 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Absolutely not.

There are 12 months in a year, and doing a quick look at your build thread, you have an amazing space that is easily Home Theater of the Month material.
Absolutely agree. @Spyderturbo007 you should most certainly submit yours

Also, further to there being 12 months a year, I don't think it is fair to lump all home theaters into a single category; and I agree with @TMcG who said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
@imagic - As a suggestion...perhaps there needs to be separate recognitions. HTOM for the hobbyist / DIY theater and perhaps a HTOQ for the full-on professionally designed and constructed theaters like Erskine, Nigel, etc. featured once per quarter. Just a thought.

Personally, I think that this is an excellent idea. However, I think there will be instances wherein it will be a gray area with respect to whether a home theater qualifies as being 'Hobbyist / DIY' or 'professionally designed and constructed' so I would like to instead propose the following two categories, namely:

"$0 - $150,000" as the first category; and

"$150,000+" as the second category.

In which case I would be submitting the both of mine into the second category. Meaning that anyone and everyone who submits theirs into the first category would not be competing with me/mine.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 07-23-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #44 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16188
Quote:

Also, further to there being 12 months a year, I don't think it is fair to lump all home theaters into a single category; and I agree with @TMcG who said this:

Personally, I think that this is an excellent idea. However, I think there will be instances wherein it will be a gray area with respect to whether a home theater qualifies as being 'Hobbyist / DIY' or 'professionally designed and constructed' so I would like to instead propose the following two categories, namely:

In which case I would be submitting the both of mine into the second category. Meaning that anyone and everyone who submits theirs into the first category would not be competing with me/mine.

It's already my plan to mix things up. During Scott's tenure, when he took over the task of posting these, he focused on dedicated home theaters that skewed toward the high end. He then complained that for a while, he ran out of submissions.

While I feel that the dedicated, cost no object category needs recognition, I'm going back to the roots of why began this feature, which is to show a wide variety of home theaters, as opposed to simply looking for the "best" when inevitably that winds up costing as much as some folks spend on their entire house.

I'm not sure what the exact mix will be, but what I do see is the potential for picking a "Home Theater of the Year" in a couple categories

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #45 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3709 Post(s)
Liked: 2123
Quote:
It's already my plan to mix things up. During Scott's tenure, when he took over the task of posting these, he focused on dedicated home theaters that skewed toward the high end. He then complained that for a while, he ran out of submissions.

While I feel that the dedicated, cost no object category needs recognition, I'm going back to the roots of why began this feature, which is to show a wide variety of home theaters, as opposed to simply looking for the "best" when inevitably that winds up costing as much as some folks spend on their entire house.

I'm not sure what the exact mix will be, but what I do see is the potential for picking a "Home Theater of the Year" in a couple categories

Probably a good idea. The cost no object theaters are beautiful to look at, but not aspirational for most on the forum. This can be due to lack of money or more likely desire. I think a lot of people would like a nice looking theater without breaking the bank and/or putting an extraordinarily amount of time into it.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #46 of 123 Old 07-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 183
My current theater has great picture and sound but for sure won't match the stuff I'm seeing here in terms of looks. We'll see if I get some time over when I'm done fixing the house to make it presentable
m0j0 likes this.

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #47 of 123 Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 1931
Quote:
Glad to see this is on your radar. Long overdue and the unstated subtext to my comment.
post #48 of 123 Old 07-25-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:

While the money spent on a home theater can "most certainly get away from us", I have heard and seen great theaters that don't cost a small fortune. In those cases, most, if not all, of the construction was DIY, but great attention to acoustic principles in the placement and use of passive room treatment, and where excellent but reasonably priced speakers were used (including DIY). Final result: both the audio and video are 90% of what one gets for 10 times the price.

It is all about attention to the very important details !!
mhutchins, richardsim7 and A.T.M. like this.
post #49 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:

It might also be a good idea to have a low budget category (0-15k).
hnupe, richardsim7 and ARROW-AV like this.
post #50 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Love to submit my space, known as the "Spartan's Theater" for consideration. It's a modest build, but a space that I'm proud of as I pretty much built it entirely myself. If my work can help or inspire others, I'm all about giving back. This forum has been invaluable to me through the build, so I give lots of credit to AVSForum, and many great members, for how my space turned out!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html

audioguy, SOWK, dla26 and 4 others like this.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 10-14-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #51 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
Love to submit my space, known as the "Spartan's Theater" for consideration. It's a modest build, but a space that I'm proud of as I pretty much built it entirely myself. If my work can help or inspire others, I'm all about giving back. This forum has been invaluable to me through the build, so I give lots of credit to AVSForum, and many great members, for how my space turned out!
We clearly have a different view of "modest build". VERY nice. Are those acoustic art panels on the wall?
imagic and ARROW-AV like this.
post #52 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:

Wow, very classy.

and "modest"

lol... That theater looks top notch!
imagic and ARROW-AV like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #53 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
We clearly have a different view of "modest build". VERY nice. Are those acoustic art panels on the wall?
They are. I clicked his link. Its a fantastic theater.
imagic likes this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #54 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:

Very nice indeed!

Would love to see some more photos of the finished room

brickyardz, imagic and hnupe like this.
post #55 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
They are acoustic panels yes. They are wooden frames from 1x3 lumber, filled with 2 layers of 1" ductboard, covered in panels I had printed. They are an example of gaining an idea from other users here on the forum. And @nickbuol , who I met here on the site, helped me get the images ready for use. They make a big difference in the audio characteristics of the room, but also put some personal touches on the wall. I have two more to build yet for the back corners, one Iron Man and one Spiderman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Wow, very classy.

and "modest"

lol... That theater looks top notch!
Quote:
Very nice indeed!

Would love to see some more photos of the finished room

Thanks so much for the kind words guys! Like I said, I'm so thankful for the forum and being able to learn from so many great people as I progressed through my build. As far as more pics, I've actually thought it would be fun to get some really good photos using a better camera vs my phone camera which most of the pics are from. If it gets chosen for a TOM honor, I'll definitely do that. But again, thanks for the very kind words!
nickbuol, imagic and ARROW-AV like this.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 08-01-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #56 of 123 Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I tried my luck

I submitted pics, I have a very modest build..below is a link to the build over the years. I am NO WAY at the level of what I seen but felt a lower end build would be cool to see.

https://mancavehf.shutterfly.com/
kevin j and imagic like this.
post #57 of 123 Old 08-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well. I was going to upload pictures. Then I saw the pictures already here from other people. And now I feel silly for even getting my camera out. I've got some serious envy going on.
post #58 of 123 Old 08-17-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your theater is most definitely HToM material. But I must confess, I don't know what I like better, the beautiful work you did in your theater or the name you selected: The "Are We Done Yet?" Theater.

And FWIW, the answer to that question is almost always "NEVER"!.
post #59 of 123 Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
It might also be a good idea to have a low budget category (0-15k).
I would be most interested in seeing a theater a "0"K
post #60 of 123 Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16188
Quote:
I would be most interested in seeing a theater a "0"K
That's called "my neighbor has a home theater" lol....
audioguy and luv2fly3 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page