Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1441 of 2902 Old 09-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 900 today from logitech. I had the 890 but the screen went dead. Logitech offered the 50% off deal and I took advantage of that.

I have a question about setting up my devices/activities.

When I change from any viewing activity to another like "Watch DVD" to "Watch TV" I believe the remote is sending a "on" command to my projector even though it is already on.

I believe this because , The "turn off confirm" splash screen keeps popping up on the projector When switching between activities that use the projector.

It is a pain to go into the device menu to hit "return" to get rid of this screen. My projector is the Panny PT-AX100U.

My 890 did not do this. So, I have hope that this is"fixable". .

Also I have the X10 IR-543 light controller and the "dim" function on the touch screen is not working at all?

Is there a fix for each of these that someone could please explain to me?

love this remote so far other than these small qwerks. It seems to be much more responsive and somewhat quicker sending the commands.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2902 Old 09-16-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Run thru the wizard set up for the projector and be certain that the power commands are setup properly for the projector. Since the on command is causing the proj. to give you that message it seems like you need the setting to be power toggle. You need to be certain that the commnand to power off is set properly as well though as it seems like you need to confirm, typically by hitting ok or power button once again.

I would search the database again for the IR 543, don't put x10 in the title. I have one those for my behind the screen lighting and the dim function works ok. You may have picked a 543 device that has a command in the database.
post #1443 of 2902 Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks so much oman321,

You nailed it.

It was indeed the power toggle setting with the projector.

X10 Trouble still persists though.

I changed the ir-543 to a different category but it is doing the same thing.
With my 890 I could do "turn all lights on" and the dimmer would dim all of the lights.
Now, with the 900, It will turn the lights on but will not dim them all. I have to go in and select each light and dim it independently.

With the 890 I had set up a sequence also that used the up/down arrow keys to turn the lights on and off and also dim them. Too bad no sequences for the 900.

I just wish i did not have to dim each light seperatley.

Thanks again for figuring out the projector problem for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 2902 Old 09-16-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
I wish you knew how you did that before because I'd like to do that myself. Dim All Units in Group X is an extended command that I haven't see in the harmony database. I didn't even know the IR-543 would respond to it.
post #1445 of 2902 Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Glad to be of help. Do you still have your account for the 890 set up? Have you tried to view the settings in that account if so? Also since you just got the 900 you can call support and explain you did this with the 890 and it not working with the 900. Maybe the can bring over the settings as I know you had to start from scratch with the 890.

I simply use my 543 with one light behind my screen so all on, all off, dim is enough.

Mdavej, wouldn't it be a sequence of select group X and send the appropiate commands?
post #1446 of 2902 Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Mdavej, wouldn't it be a sequence of select group X and send the appropiate commands?

Honestly, I've never used, nor do I fully understand the extended codes. I assume that's correct. But I don't know the codes or how to use them. All the X10 protocol doc has is the commands that get sent down the power line. I don't know the relationship (if any) between those and the IR codes.

If the OP wouldn't mind, he could go HERE, click detect, shoot the signals from his old 890 and post the pronto hex. He's got 2 weeks to change the config before they cut him off. He can just assign the relevant codes to hard buttons so he won't need the screen.

If anybody finds these codes, please post back.
post #1447 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 AM

Mdavej,

With the 890 you could program in 5 step sequences
I had it set up as a sequence with the x10 543 ir reciever.
The sequence I used was "light 1, light 2, on, dim, dim.
I assigned this to the up arrow key on the remote.
I assigned " light 1, light 2, off" sequence . To the down arrow.

I have four x10 controled lights in my room. But, I primarily use only two.

so for lights on....up arrow
lights off....down arrow
dim lights....up arrow as many time as I neede to get to desired dim.

I already tried teaching my 900 the proper commands using my 890 and the learn function but it did not work.
I may have done it wrong. I am not sure if I should have done the regular learn or the "Raw"?

If anyone has any ideas for me to try I'd be grateful.

Thanks

post #1448 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post

Mdavej,

lights off....down arrow

I already tried teaching my 900 the proper commands using my 890 and the learn function but it did not work.
I may have done it wrong. I am not sure if I should have done the regular learn or the "Raw"?

Thanks

If you are trying to learn multiple commands from a remote, for any success, it would have to be learned as Raw, the first learn would be Analyzed then you would have to learn it again as Raw
post #1449 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM

I was playing around with the learned commands feature and over wrote one of the default commands with a learned raw command. Does anyone know how to revert a learned command back to the default database command?

Thanks
post #1450 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post

Mdavej,

lights off....down arrow

Thanks

That makes sense. Since you used sequences before, and the 900 can't do sequences, you'll have to do raw learns of the whole sequence like rehaz said. And you'll have to do the commands very quickly or they won't all fit in one raw learn. But your sequence doesn't look right. You have to send the unit number then the command. If you send two units in a row, the command will only work for the last unit you sent. So dim 1 and 2 needs to be "light 1, dim, light 2, dim".
post #1451 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Well, actually if you push 1 then 2 then on, both lights come on. 1,2,3.on and 3 lights come on. Or 1,2,3 dim and all will dim. I am doing it manually with my 900 right now.
I just wish I could still do it with one button(sequence) again.

I have never done raw commands before. But if it will accomplish what I want then I will learn. Oh yes I will learn. Any tips on learning raw?

The 900 does all but this one thing that the 890 did and it seams to be much smoother and faster.

I will nail this lighting setup with the 900 sooner or later.
post #1452 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Well, I'll be. I just tried it too and it and it worked great. That's awesome. I never knew you could stack unit numbers like that. Thanks.

As far as the raw learn goes, you have about a 2 second window to get all your commands in, so use short, fast presses. Running the sequence as-is from you 890 will be too slow for a raw learn to work.
post #1453 of 2902 Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a go manually then. I will have to program the commands to hard buttons on the 890 since the screen is dead. Wow, 2 seconds? 5 keypresses? I'll figure it out.
This 900 is pretty nice. But it would be alot less trouble with the sequence method.

Thanks again
post #1454 of 2902 Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdibley View Post

I was playing around with the learned commands feature and over wrote one of the default commands with a learned raw command. Does anyone know how to revert a learned command back to the default database command?

Thanks

It is not possible to undo a learned command, the only way is to delete the Device, then re-add it back into your profile.
post #1455 of 2902 Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post

It is not possible to undo a learned command, the only way is to delete the Device, then re-add it back into your profile.

Wow. That's borderline user-hostile software. It's a good thing I haven't gotten too deep into configuring that activity.

I agree with whoever said it earlier. Logitech would do well to take a few hints from Apple and work on their "user experience".
post #1456 of 2902 Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Will the 900 control the new line of Pioneer Elites directly, or do I have to get the Pioneer remote to utilize that feature without any RF type equipment other than the 900 and Elite?
post #1457 of 2902 Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM

Someone posted earlier that if you have multiple blasters, that you must assign each device to a specific blaster. Is this true, or is it possible to buy multiple main blasters and have them all broadcast to every device?

I ask because of an idea I came up with. I have a 2.4GHz RC airplane controller. The receiver uses multiple antennas, aligned orthogonally and physically spaced apart. The idea being that if one antenna isn't aligned to the transmitter well, one of the other antennas probably is. Likewise with the physical spacing.

So, assuming that multiple blasters can broadcast to all of your devices, you could use three blasters, separated physically and aligned orthogonal to each other, and that would maximize the possibility of one of the three receiving the signal from the remote, increasing the usable range.
post #1458 of 2902 Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdibley View Post

Someone posted earlier that if you have multiple blasters, that you must assign each device to a specific blaster. Is this true, or is it possible to buy multiple main blasters and have them all broadcast to every device?

I ask because of an idea I came up with. I have a 2.4GHz RC airplane controller. The receiver uses multiple antennas, aligned orthogonally and physically spaced apart. The idea being that if one antenna isn't aligned to the transmitter well, one of the other antennas probably is. Likewise with the physical spacing.

So, assuming that multiple blasters can broadcast to all of your devices, you could use three blasters, separated physically and aligned orthogonal to each other, and that would maximize the possibility of one of the three receiving the signal from the remote, increasing the usable range.

Each device can only be controlled by one Blaster at a time. If you have 3 Blasters you cannot broadcast all three blaster to all devices
post #1459 of 2902 Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi, just updated from the Harmony One to a 900 (planning to add light control soon) and wanted to know a few things:

A) what Size & Resolution do the images for the Slide Show need to be

and

B) Is there a way to add your own Icons for soft buttons? I like the fact that Logitech has expanded the option to add images, but their selection is kind of weak. I wanted to make images of the OEM remote buttons and add them myself. I can't figure out why the wouldn't allow for this.

On a side note, I was really hoping for more than three pages of Favorites Icons as well? I still don't know why they limit that. For a $400 remote it should be COMPLETELY customizable! That said, I still love it!

EDIT/UPDATE:

Scratch that I love it comment! Once again the Harmony proves to be a god damned nightmare to set up. Glitchy, unfriendly user software that results in wasted time and setups!!!

I have reset my A/V Receiver device TWICE now at a time of 10-15 minutes a pop to get the command set customized as I like it and the 900 will not take the set up!!! Each time I go to the device NONE of the commands are there. It's getting to be that nowadays, even when you spend the extra money for something, you still get your balls broken!

EDIT/UPDATE 2:

Ready to throw this thing through a wall. Third Try, third FAIL. The remote will only add default commands for my Onkyo AVR. Logitech REALLY needs to re-vamp the software for these units. Don't get me wrong, once it's set up how one wants it, it's great - but getting it there is a pain in the ass. I've done plenty of installs with Harmony Remotes ranging from the 510 through the 900 and EVERY SINGLE ONE has given me some type of glitch or set up problem.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #1460 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 357
When you take some time to learn it is easy to set up and use. I know mine is.
post #1461 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

When you take some time to learn it is easy to set up and use. I know mine is.

LOL @ Gary. There is nothing to learn - the interface is simply terrible and doesn't work half the time. I've set up the AVR device 4 times now with the software and it has failed to store the command I setup 5 times now.

post #1462 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 357
LOL @ Usererror. This thread has 1400 posts of mostly satisfied users. You say nothing about the "command I setup" so who knows what you are doing.
post #1463 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

LOL @ Usererror. This thread has 1400 posts of mostly satisfied users. You say nothing about the "command I setup" so who knows what you are doing.

Really? I'm simply selecting the default commands from the drop down list for the AVR device only. Something that should take 5 minutes. The software/remote REFUSES to accept and store them. Those 1400 posts surely contain gripes about how unintuitive the software is and how it can be made more functional and better. There is no user error here with this issue. I set up 5 other devices just fine the exact same way. I have setup numerous Harmony remotes as I stated before and can attest that customizing using the software could be far better.

post #1464 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Really? I'm simply selecting the default commands from the drop down list for the AVR device only. Something that should take 5 minutes. The software/remote REFUSES to accept and store them. Those 1400 posts surely contain gripes about how unintuitive the software is and how it can be made more functional and better. There is no user error here with this issue. I set up 5 other devices just fine the exact same way. I have setup numerous Harmony remotes as I stated before and can attest that customizing using the software could be far better.

When you say "default commands," I assume you mean the codes that are already in the database. If the commands were truly default, they would already be assigned to buttons (both hard and soft) for your device.

That said, I've never had a command not take. Are you having the same results in both the soft and hard buttons? If soft buttons, are you assigning a name to the command under the Button column? If not, the command will not take. I assume you are also clicking on Done twice when completed. Keep in mind, also, that the software times out after a while, even if you are diligently entering button commands. It is best to click Done within about ten minutes and go back into the customization menu.
post #1465 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

When you say "default commands," I assume you mean the codes that are already in the database. If the commands were truly default, they would already be assigned to buttons (both hard and soft) for your device.

That said, I've never had a command not take. Are you having the same results in both the soft and hard buttons? If soft buttons, are you assigning a name to the command under the Button column? If not, the command will not take. I assume you are also clicking on Done twice when completed. Keep in mind, also, that the software times out after a while, even if you are diligently entering button commands. It is best to click Done within about ten minutes and go back into the customization menu.

The issue was once I set up all the buttons where I wanted them - the software would "forget" and not put any in the remote. The soft menu and hard menu would be blank. I solved the problem by going to the web browser set up page and trying from there. The command set stayed in and wrote the proper settings to the 900.

So, problem solved after a runaround. Now back to my main question. Is there any way to add/change icons in the database for further customization?

post #1466 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys, I'm a happy new user of a Harmony 900. Now, I have one device which is in a different room and I need to buy another RF system (Blaster). I checked at ebay and only found items for the RF Extender for the 890, 1000 and 1100. Looking at Logitech website, it's a complete different thing that what I need. Logitech call it "Harmony RF system" for the 900. So, does anybody knows a place other than Logitech web site and ebay where I could buy one cheaper than the suggested price of $99 by Logitech? I also made a search here in this thread and did not find anything.
post #1467 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The issue was once I set up all the buttons where I wanted them - the software would "forget" and not put any in the remote. The soft menu and hard menu would be blank. I solved the problem by going to the web browser set up page and trying from there. The command set stayed in and wrote the proper settings to the 900.

So, problem solved after a runaround. Now back to my main question. Is there any way to add/change icons in the database for further customization?

You can change the icons only for the soft buttons in Activities, which is where you should spend 99% of your time anyway.
post #1468 of 2902 Old 09-25-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

You can change the icons only for the soft buttons in Activities, which is where you should spend 99% of your time anyway.

I know that I can change them as is from a select group that Logitech has. What I want to know is if/how it is possible to add my own to activities.

Also, where is the slideshow? I set it up online and nothing shows up when I put it in the cradle.

post #1469 of 2902 Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:

I know that I can change them as is from a select group that Logitech has. What I want to know is if/how it is possible to add my own to activities.

Also, where is the slideshow? I set it up online and nothing shows up when I put it in the cradle.

It is not possible to add your own Activity or Device icons. There is no Slideshow for the 900. If you set it up using the Web interface, that is where the problem is, as that site is no longer supported by Logitech and the 900 has no slideshow function as the 800 series and the One has. If you use the Harmony software there is no option to setup a slideshow.
post #1470 of 2902 Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post

It is not possible to add your own Activity or Device icons. There is no Slideshow for the 900. If you set it up using the Web interface, that is where the problem is, as that site is no longer supported by Logitech and the 900 has no slideshow function as the 800 series and the One has.

I figured that and that is where Logitech fails. I can forgive the taking out of the slideshow even though I liked adding logos and custom messages. What I find unbelievable is that they STILL don't allow for users to add their own icons and that they still limit favorites! I get there is a fixed amount of memory, but 64MB is enoromous when it comes to adding icons that once customized will only take up a few kilobytes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page