Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #1921 of 1931 Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotapix View Post
I won’t pretend to be a Harmony 650 expert but I had a similar problem with one of those same buttons recently. The two on either side of the screen seem susceptible to dust and other crud that floats around household air. I tried cleaning around the button edges with a sharp toothpick and certainly was able to get some stuff from those areas. One button was definitely stuck in a pressed in position and finally released after the cleaning. I finally used the toothpick on all buttons and seemed to get a renewed life of the remote.

I also note that a seller on eBay is offering repair kits for the 650 and other similar models. Appears the kit is several conductor layers to replace the originals. Anyone tried this?
This is what I did to fix the button. I order the parts from eBay. Remote is working great now and easy fix.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
beerhunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1931 Old 11-28-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I have a question... i have new Harmony 665 and I programmed four activities. The first activity I programmed was to watch movies which is the primary activity that I'll be using. The problem is that the activity is on the second screen, the last of the four programmed activities. Is there a way to move that activity to the first screen? I tried reprogramming one of the activities on the first screen to watch movies but that activity was moved to the second screen as well.

If that is not possible, can I reset the Harmony 665 back to its factory state?

If that is not possible, will removing the battery for several hours reset the remote?

I kind of find it ridiculous that you cannot easily rearrange the activities on the remote.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1923 of 1931 Old 11-28-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I have a question... i have new Harmony 665 and I programmed four activities. The first activity I programmed was to watch movies which is the primary activity that I'll be using. The problem is that the activity is on the second screen, the last of the four programmed activities. Is there a way to move that activity to the first screen? I tried reprogramming one of the activities on the first screen to watch movies but that activity was moved to the second screen as well.

If that is not possible, will removing the battery for several hours reset the remote?

I kind of find it ridiculous that you cannot easily rearrange the activities on the remote.
Yes it is ridiculous. You cannot rearrange activities OR devices on a 650/665. It is only doable on the Pro, Elite, Ultimate, Home, One, and Touch. It really is the only gripe I have with them. I use a 650 and a 665 in different rooms. The order is determined by when they were added. So I recently added a tv as a device. Shows up last, second screen. I think the only workaround is to delete all devices (or activities) and re enter them in the order you want them to appear. PIA,I know. Maybe an expert has more info than me.

But are you using one of the activity buttons at the top of your remote for your "watch movie" activity? That is just one press and starts the activity regardless of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 1931 Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Yes it is ridiculous. You cannot rearrange activities OR devices on a 650/665. It is only doable on the Pro, Elite, Ultimate, Home, One, and Touch. It really is the only gripe I have with them. I use a 650 and a 665 in different rooms. The order is determined by when they were added. So I recently added a tv as a device. Shows up last, second screen. I think the only workaround is to delete all devices (or activities) and re enter them in the order you want them to appear. PIA,I know. Maybe an expert has more info than me.

But are you using one of the activity buttons at the top of your remote for your "watch movie" activity? That is just one press and starts the activity regardless of the screen.

I already wiped out all the activities on the 665. Resynched it when it was empty. Re-entered all new activities and it was still in the same order as before.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1925 of 1931 Old 11-28-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

On my 650 remote I have 5 activities programmed, with three assigned to the one touch buttons. When I press the “more activities” button it shows the last two activities on the first screen, regardless of which activity I set up first when setting it up. Not sure if thats by default or not.

To reset the remote press and hold the MENU and POWER buttons at the same time for 20 seconds.

BTW, I also have a 665 thats been acting flakey lately, it keeps resetting itself. If I can’t fix it myself will Harmony replace it for me?
post #1926 of 1931 Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleNixon View Post
I just set up my first Harmony 650 remote and after pressing an activity such as "Watch TV" the remote does turn on my BenQ projector, my Denon X4200W, and Motorola (Charter/Spectrum) cable box, but the remote then freezes indefinitely on the "Please keep the remote pointed at your system" screen. No matter how long it's pointed at the AVR, cable box, & projector the remote is stuck on that screen and screen/buttons don't eventually darken either. All buttons on the remote are inoperable: no volume, channel or off control. The only way to exit is to remove the batteries and start over. I've gone through this four times and it keeps freezing.

Anyone else experience this freezing or have a solution?

I am having this problem x2.
I bought two brand new 665's. I have an LG 65" OLED, Denon AVR=X4300H, An Arris cable box (Spectrum), Apple TV 4k, Oppo 203, Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, and a PS3 and PS4.
Using the Myharmony software (on Win 10)
Programmed one of the remotes and no matter what activity I hit, the thing freezes on "Starting xxxx activity, please keep remote pointed at your system"
The devices turn on, but the Denon never changes inputs. I have to remove the battery from the remote to get the remote unstuck.
So, figuring a defective remote, I programmed the 2nd 665 from scratch, same issues remained.
I deleted all the devices and activities.
I added my TV, cable box, and AVR only
Set up "Watch TV" activity.
It worked
Next I set up "watch Apple TV" activity.

Remote hung up starting this activity.
Deleted the Apple TV and the activity.
Added my Oppo and a "Watch Blu-Ray" activity
The remote hung up on this one too.
Deleted the Oppo and the activity.
Added my Nvidia Shield and created a "Watch Nvidia Shield" activity.
It worked.
Did not bother setting up anything else.

What the heck is wrong. I have quadruple checked the inputs on the Denon.

I initially set up the activities telling the software I do not need to set an input for the TV (the Denon out goes to HDMI in 2 on the TV, nothing else connected to the TV.

I switched the problem activities to specify the HDMI 2 input on the TV...no difference.
I played with the delays on the Denon (input switching). That did not help either...

Finally, since I have a Harmony Hub in this setup (I hate the harmony hub based remotes), I thought somehow that was causing an issue. Unplugged it, but the remote kept on freezing during the starting of activities...

Oh, and for kicks I pulled out my old Harmony One and tried programming it (using the Harmony 7.x software). And I had the SAME ISSUE (activity works prefect but the remote seems to be stuck sending a command or commands in the startup sequence of any activity).

I am at a complete loss. I need help or suggestions..hopefully other than set up a ticket with Logitech...

One other thing I should mention is a I have a Harmony Ultimate with companion remote (living room), and Harmony home control (hub based - Media room) a Harmony 700 (bedroom ) and these 2 new 665's all on a single account.

Main System: Denon AVR-4300h, LG OLED65C7, Oppo UDP-203, PS3 and PS4pro, Sonos Connect, Nvidia Shield tv (2017), Ascend RAAL Towers, RAAL Horizon Center, Sierra 2's (surround), 2 Rythmik F15's
2 other systems: 1 Onkyo, 1 Denon, Paradigm Studio V1 and V2 speakers, Panasonic Plasmas, etc.
post #1927 of 1931 Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Ok since I posted this thread I have found out some information that might be useful to others having this issue.

If you have a Denon AVR-X4300H receiver And you are using a NON-HUB-BASED Harmony this will likely affect you. There may be other Denon receivers this affects but not sure.

Anyway, there is an issue with the Harmony database for my Denon receiver that happened about a year ago. And if you are trying to program a non-hub based harmony with activities that include changing inputs and power cycles for this receiver you are going to encounter your activities getting stuck on “starting activity - please keep Remote pointed at your system”. The receiver will turn on and not switch to the correct input. You won’t be able to do anything with the remote at this point. The only way to unfreeze the remote Is to pull the batteries.

The first reports of this were about a year ago. Even folks who’s remotes were already programmed with this receiver and working properly suddenly started having issues.

It does not matter if you program the remote using the myharmony desktop software or the legacy harmony 7.# software. They both apparently use the same device database.

It appears the issues was reported to Logitech but nothing was resolved.

Somebody found a workaround, which I am now using.

Instead of adding your Denon-X4300H to your devices, create a fictitious receiver with a fake name. I used make “Generic” and model “Receiver”. When the program asks if you are sure that is right, answer yes. You will now have to use the Denon remote to teach the Harmony several commands. Then you will need to set up all the inputs from your receiver (the ones you see on your Denon remote). This will force you to remove some the Harmony sets up (Like FM and AM - the Denon only has a Tuner input). And you will have to add some the Harmony is missing (Like Tuner, Internet Radio, etc.) After you are done the inputs on the Harmony software device setup must exactly match the ones you see on your Denon remote.

Once you have the fictitious receiver set up, before you create activities, now add the Denon AVR-X4300-H to your devices. This along with the fictitious receiver will be part of all your activities. The Denon one just to control volume as nobody has been able to figure out push and hold volume when setting up the fictitious receiver.

So a watch tv activity looks like this:

Devices included = TV, Cable Box, fictitious receiver, Denon receiver

commands =
Power on TV
Power on cable box
Power on fictitious receiver
Set input on TV to ???
Set input on fictitious receiver to CBL/SAT

When setting up the activity you specify volume is controlled with the Denon receiver (not the fictitious one)

Now the remote should operate correctly. You might need to play with delays

LOGITECH PLEASE FIX YOUR DEVICES DATABASE FOR DENON AVR-X4300H

Main System: Denon AVR-4300h, LG OLED65C7, Oppo UDP-203, PS3 and PS4pro, Sonos Connect, Nvidia Shield tv (2017), Ascend RAAL Towers, RAAL Horizon Center, Sierra 2's (surround), 2 Rythmik F15's
2 other systems: 1 Onkyo, 1 Denon, Paradigm Studio V1 and V2 speakers, Panasonic Plasmas, etc.
post #1928 of 1931 Old 12-04-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Many Denon models share the same exact codes. I'd try picking a similar but different model before going to all that trouble.
post #1929 of 1931 Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Yeah I tried the Denon AVR-4200W before using the workaround. Doing that made my 665 reboot mid way through the starting of activities then shut all devices off after the reboot. So there might be others that will work, but the 4200 sure won’t

post #1930 of 1931 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I just wanted to post about the great customer service I got with Harmony today. I called them because my 665 kept rebooting itself. Luckily it was still within the one year warranty period, bought December 2018. After going through all of their “mandatory” troubleshooting, which I already did on my own, they decided it was broke and will be sending me a new one, well at least I hope its new and not refurbished.
post #1931 of 1931 Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mde8965 View Post
Ok since I posted this thread I have found out some information that might be useful to others having this issue.

If you have a Denon AVR-X4300H receiver And you are using a NON-HUB-BASED Harmony this will likely affect you. There may be other Denon receivers this affects but not sure.

Anyway, there is an issue with the Harmony database for my Denon receiver that happened about a year ago. And if you are trying to program a non-hub based harmony with activities that include changing inputs and power cycles for this receiver you are going to encounter your activities getting stuck on “starting activity - please keep Remote pointed at your system”. The receiver will turn on and not switch to the correct input. You won’t be able to do anything with the remote at this point. The only way to unfreeze the remote Is to pull the batteries.

The first reports of this were about a year ago. Even folks who’s remotes were already programmed with this receiver and working properly suddenly started having issues.

It does not matter if you program the remote using the myharmony desktop software or the legacy harmony 7.# software. They both apparently use the same device database.

It appears the issues was reported to Logitech but nothing was resolved.

Somebody found a workaround, which I am now using.

Instead of adding your Denon-X4300H to your devices, create a fictitious receiver with a fake name. I used make “Generic” and model “Receiver”. When the program asks if you are sure that is right, answer yes. You will now have to use the Denon remote to teach the Harmony several commands. Then you will need to set up all the inputs from your receiver (the ones you see on your Denon remote). This will force you to remove some the Harmony sets up (Like FM and AM - the Denon only has a Tuner input). And you will have to add some the Harmony is missing (Like Tuner, Internet Radio, etc.) After you are done the inputs on the Harmony software device setup must exactly match the ones you see on your Denon remote.

Once you have the fictitious receiver set up, before you create activities, now add the Denon AVR-X4300-H to your devices. This along with the fictitious receiver will be part of all your activities. The Denon one just to control volume as nobody has been able to figure out push and hold volume when setting up the fictitious receiver.

So a watch tv activity looks like this:

Devices included = TV, Cable Box, fictitious receiver, Denon receiver

commands =
Power on TV
Power on cable box
Power on fictitious receiver
Set input on TV to ???
Set input on fictitious receiver to CBL/SAT

When setting up the activity you specify volume is controlled with the Denon receiver (not the fictitious one)

Now the remote should operate correctly. You might need to play with delays

LOGITECH PLEASE FIX YOUR DEVICES DATABASE FOR DENON AVR-X4300H
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Many Denon models share the same exact codes. I'd try picking a similar but different model before going to all that trouble.

I had the same 'freezing issue' when setting up my AVR-4200W and settled on using either AVR-X4400H or AVR-X4500H (can't remember which) and now have no issues.

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page