Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #1951 of 1975 Old 01-18-2020, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I feel this must have been asked before, but I can't find it. I have a Harmony 665. I have my devices and activities set up, and they seem to work fine. What surprised me is that if I turn on my sound bar using the device mode of the remote and then turn on an activity that requires the sound bar, it doesn't seem to remember that it has already turned on the sound bar, and toggles the power button, turning it off.

One other issue I've found is that I can't seem to get the remote to learn (using the IR learning mode) a 3 digit channel number. It always seems to only pick up the first two digits.
Harmony doesn't remember anything, it just executes the commands in the activity. Sounds like your soundbar uses a power toggle button and the remote is behaving the best it can. You can check if there is discrete on off commands available an avoid that issue.

As for the 3 digit channel, could it be the remote hasn't fully woken up and misses the first number? Or it is not pointed at the TV the entire time? Does it miss the first or last number?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1975 Old 01-18-2020, 09:33 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
What surprised me is that if I turn on my sound bar using the device mode of the remote and then turn on an activity that requires the sound bar, it doesn't seem to remember that it has already turned on the sound bar, and toggles the power button, turning it off.
The Harmony intentionally doesn't remember anything you do in "device" mode - it only keeps track of state for "activities". Not remembering actions in device mode is very much by design. Let's say you hit "watch TV" and the cable box (which has only "power toggle") was already on, so it turned off with the power command from starting up "watch TV". You could then go into device mode to manually turn the cable box back on so that the "watch TV" activity was back in sync when you left device mode and returned to the activity. If it had remembered what you did in device mode, then "watch TV" would think the cable box is off.

Think of device mode as the same as picking up the device's native remote -- nothing will be remembered. It's the "Las Vegas" of Harmony remote modes .
leigh13 likes this.
post #1953 of 1975 Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Harmony doesn't remember anything, it just executes the commands in the activity. Sounds like your soundbar uses a power toggle button and the remote is behaving the best it can. You can check if there is discrete on off commands available an avoid that issue.

As for the 3 digit channel, could it be the remote hasn't fully woken up and misses the first number? Or it is not pointed at the TV the entire time? Does it miss the first or last number?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Since they prominently promote the fact that it remembers settings so that it always knows what to turn on and off for the various activities, and they tell you to hide your remotes so that the Harmony remote doesn't get out of sync, I assumed the remote would keep in sync for all operations that used the remote. As noted by pjp, the current behaviour allows you to resync things if something goes wrong, but then since it has the "help" function for that purpose, it would seem less necessary for it to behave the way it does.

The reason I was interested in this behaviour is that sometimes I want to adjust the sound level before everything is turned on, so I want to turn on the sound bar, adjust the volume, and then turn everything else on via the activity feature. But I can always just turn off the sound bar again before turning on the activity, so it's no great loss. I was just confused because I didn't expect it to work this way.

As for the missing channel numbers. It's mapped to one of the screen buttons, so everything is on and I'm careful when testing not to move the remote. I assigned the function by having the remote learn the code from my existing remote; I'm guessing that it just doesn't wait long enough for the sending remote to finish before it concludes that the learning process is complete. I've tried a few times now, and it always behaves the same way. I figured this might be a common complaint with a common workaround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 1975 Old 01-18-2020, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3283 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
primetimeguy is incorrect. pjp is correct.

Harmony tracks (remembers) power and input states when you execute an activity. It does not track those in device mode.

We'll need to know the model number of your sound bar and how it is connected and configured. I suspect HDMI CEC is toggling the power on, then Harmony, expecting it to be off, toggles again. There are two solutions to this. Either disable CEC on all your devices or change the power settings in Harmony for the sound bar to never turn the device on or off.

Learning won't change anything.
post #1955 of 1975 Old 01-18-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
primetimeguy is incorrect. pjp is correct.

Harmony tracks (remembers) power and input states when you execute an activity. It does not track those in device mode.

We'll need to know the model number of your sound bar and how it is connected and configured. I suspect HDMI CEC is toggling the power on, then Harmony, expecting it to be off, toggles again. There are two solutions to this. Either disable CEC on all your devices or change the power settings in Harmony for the sound bar to never turn the device on or off.

Learning won't change anything.
The answer that it doesn't track state changes in device mode answers my question (the sound bar is connected only by optical; the only control is via the remote; I just didn't realize that it device mode was different in terms of tracking).

The learning issue is a completely different thing. Perhaps I shouldn't have included it in the same post. I'm just having difficulty getting the remote to learn and/or send the sequence for sending a 3-digit channel change. But it's not really that important since it's easy enough to enter it manually. I just figured I might learn something useful if I understood why it wasn't working.
post #1956 of 1975 Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The reason I was interested in this behaviour is that sometimes I want to adjust the sound level before everything is turned on, so I want to turn on the sound bar, adjust the volume, and then turn everything else on via the activity feature. But I can always just turn off the sound bar again before turning on the activity, so it's no great loss. I was just confused because I didn't expect it to work this way.
You could create a ‘sound check’ activity just for the purpose of adjusting audio levels, then use the ‘all on’ or whatever activity you want after that. If you have the sound bar device set to stay on when changing activities and to turn off when ‘all off’ command is issued, then you should be fine.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #1957 of 1975 Old 01-19-2020, 07:01 AM

You don’t learn sequences. You just program sequence macros with existing commands then assign to a button. There’s a special place in the software for programming them. You could also program Favorites.
post #1958 of 1975 Old 01-19-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
You don’t learn sequences. You just program sequence macros with existing commands then assign to a button. There’s a special place in the software for programming them. You could also program Favorites.
Perhaps I'm not explaining things correctly. There's a mode in the Harmony software where you can create new commands by pointing the original remote at the bottom of the Harmony remote, and pressing the button on the old remote. Then the Harmony learns the IR sequence and assigns it to the new command. That command in turn can be assigned to buttons or screen functions on the Harmony remote. It's that sequence that I'm trying to use to have it learn a button on my original remote. It's worked for other buttons (that probably have shorter IR sequences), but not for the one button that send a 3-digit channel change command.
post #1959 of 1975 Old 01-19-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I'm not explaining things correctly. There's a mode in the Harmony software where you can create new commands by pointing the original remote at the bottom of the Harmony remote, and pressing the button on the old remote. Then the Harmony learns the IR sequence and assigns it to the new command. That command in turn can be assigned to buttons or screen functions on the Harmony remote. It's that sequence that I'm trying to use to have it learn a button on my original remote. It's worked for other buttons (that probably have shorter IR sequences), but not for the one button that send a 3-digit channel change command.
Understood. Learning is the wrong way to accomplish your goal. Harmony expects to learn a single signal, not a string of multiple signals. Your 3 digit channel change is 3 distinct commands which Harmony is most likely going to fail at capturing, as it detects the end of the first command and thinks it's done (which it is).

The reason your method worked in other cases is that you got lucky. You were able to put the commands close enough together that Harmony failed to detect the end of each. Yes, with enough trial and error and quick fingers, you may eventually fool it and get it working. And even if you do manage to press the buttons fast enough and close enough together, the receiving device may ignore digits that are too fast and close together, treating them as a duplicate. In any case, that's still the wrong approach.

What I'm trying to tell you is that you can simply build that same sequence in the Harmony software without learning. Go to Buttons - Screen Options (pick activity then Go) - Sequences - Add Sequence, then build a sequence with your 3 channel digits.

Alternatively, build the same sequence in Favorites.

Since I've been doing remote programming for over 20 years, I've done a lot of experimenting. I have indeed managed to get a 32 button sequence in a single Harmony learn. So I know exactly what you're trying to do. But I used special software to send strings of commands shorter and faster than any human ever could. And I only did it because, at the time, Harmony could only do a max of 5 step sequence macros. Now that Harmony can do 20 step sequences, there is no reason to cram strings of multiple commands into a single learn. So the correct, and easy, way will work fine in your case.
leigh13 likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-19-2020 at 10:18 AM.
post #1960 of 1975 Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 AM

Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware of the sequence feature. In this particular case, it's a single button on the source remote, so I thought it would work, but it's true that from the receivers perspective, it's still three separate commands, and so the delay between each may just be too high.
post #1961 of 1975 Old 01-19-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware of the sequence feature. In this particular case, it's a single button on the source remote, so I thought it would work, but it's true that from the receivers perspective, it's still three separate commands, and so the delay between each may just be too high.
Can you give some more details about the receiver model and remote function you're using? It's rare for an OEM remote to do macros, so it may very well be a single signal after all.
post #1962 of 1975 Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM

The device is a cable box DVR, Technicolor 10455HD (I think essentially the same as a CISCO model), and the button is for "On Demand"; but since that's just channel 100, it seems (from the way the cable box responds), that it's just sending '1' '0' '0'.

But the sequence stuff works just fine, so it doesn't really matter. Thanks for your assistance.
mdavej likes this.
post #1963 of 1975 Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I don't think you can control whether something is powered down at the "activity" level, but you can control it at the "device" level. For example, you can tell it to never turn off the cable box -- then the cable box will stay on all the time. You can also configure devices to shut down only when all activities are shut down -- that setting is useful for something like a PS3 that has a long boot-up cycle where don't want the PS3 to shut down every time you switch to a different activity, but you do want it to shut down when the "off" button is hit to shut down everything.

To set the power settings for a device in MyHarmony, you click "device -> change device settings -> power settings".
Thanks for the suggestion. I started playing around with the global power settings for the devices earlier, but I didn't consider going the "nuclear" option and setting the Harmony to think the AVR is always powered on. I don't see any reason that shouldn't work, because powering the TV on and off should do the same for the AVR via CEC. As it stands, both my TV and AVR support discrete power commands, so I could always add a PowerOn or PowerOff within the startup or shutdown sequence for an activity if necessary.

I do miss my old Harmony 550 though. It had the perfect balance and I loved having the dedicated Picture and Sound buttons, though I managed to set up the 650 similarly using the bottom-left and bottom-right buttons (Clear/Enter) that generally go unused otherwise. The 550 eventually wore out and the volume buttons no longer worked reliably. I did disassemble and reassemble several times over the years but eventually it was clear that there was no saving it.

Vizio PX75-G1 | Yamaha RX-V683 | 5.1.2 Micca in-wall surround speakers
post #1964 of 1975 Old 01-21-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Noticed lately I'm having issues with my Harmony 650 and changing inputs on my soundbar.
My Watch Tv is HDMI 2 on Sony 900F tv, and TV setting on the soundbar (Sony HT-Z9F).
My Play Xbox is HDMI 3/Arc on the Sony 900F, and HDMI 1 setting on soundbar.

I noticed a lot if I am watching TV, and I run the watch TV activity, the soundbar goes to HDMI 1, then back to TV. I am always having to use the "Help" button on the Harmony remote to fix this issue.
Has anyone else noticed issues with switching inputs on the soundbar? Not sure what else to do, to troubleshoot.

Thanks

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #1965 of 1975 Old 01-26-2020, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Harmony 650 to new room

Glad to see this thread is still alive.

Well, between the wife and the new kitten, the old-trusty Harmony-670 is finally dead (dropped once too many times). I was using the old Desktop v7.7.x software with it.

So, I moved the newer Harmony-650 from the Workout-room to the Living Room. I am using MyHarmony software on it now, so I can have up to 8-devices (which I need).

It's all working fairly good. However ...

1. I can't figure-out a way to have an Activity (screen) of just buttons. I would like to put the Projector's and Plasma-TV's Power-Toggles on it (for now). And when I engage/leave this Activity ... nothing should happen "automatically" (turn anything on/off, etc.).

2. How do we control which 2 Activities show on the little-color-LCD screen, as the defaults when you first pick-it-up OR when you press "Other Actives" button ? I suppose I asking how to we program the page an Activity ends-up on ?

Sorry if any of this has been asked before. We are in a bit of a panic over here, as the wife can't control the system (or watch TV) without a working Harmony remote (she loves the Harmony).

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Humax 201 DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-HD (Gen-4) ~ Roomie Remote & iPort Dock ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony Elite w/Hub ~ HTPC (Kodi for Windows) ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-27-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: More details
post #1966 of 1975 Old 01-27-2020, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
1. I can't figure-out a way to have an Activity (screen) of just buttons. I would like to put the Projector's and Plasma-TV's Power-Toggles on it (for now). And when I engage/leave this Activity ... nothing should happen "automatically" (turn anything on/off, etc.).
Well, I figured-out one work-around...

You go into the Epson Projector Device, Fix Power Options, and click "the device has no power-buttons". Now, you can add it to an Activity (along-side the plasma-TV) and it will not turn-on the Projector when you start that Activity.

Then, you can add Projector and Plasma-TV Power-Toggle buttons to any Activity screen (preferably Page 2-3).

Some back-ground:
- We like being able to "Switch Displays" on any Activity.
- When you power-up the projector, it must be left-on for a minimum of 15 minutes (for best lamp health).
- Projector power should not be on any Default or Page-1 screens (to prevent accidental power-ups).

Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #1967 of 1975 Old 01-27-2020, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Noticed lately I'm having issues with my Harmony 650 and changing inputs on my soundbar.
My Watch Tv is HDMI 2 on Sony 900F tv, and TV setting on the soundbar (Sony HT-Z9F).
My Play Xbox is HDMI 3/Arc on the Sony 900F, and HDMI 1 setting on soundbar.

I noticed a lot if I am watching TV, and I run the watch TV activity, the soundbar goes to HDMI 1, then back to TV. I am always having to use the "Help" button on the Harmony remote to fix this issue.
Has anyone else noticed issues with switching inputs on the soundbar? Not sure what else to do, to troubleshoot.

Thanks
Well, other than the obvious stuff, right ? Nothing inside Watch-TV activity should say HDMI-1.
Possible solutions.
1. Make HDMI-1 Watch-TV (switch them around).
2. I wonder if it is power-cycling, and defaults to HDMI-1 on power-up. Check your power-options on Sound-Bar. There is an option something like "turn-on, leave-on, and don't power-off until I press All-Power-Off".

Man, forum sure is slow and glitchy now-days.

post #1968 of 1975 Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Well, I figured-out one work-around...

You go into the Epson Projector Device, Fix Power Options, and click "the device has no power-buttons". Now, you can add it to an Activity (along-side the plasma-TV) and it will not turn-on the Projector when you start that Activity.

Then, you can add Projector and Plasma-TV Power-Toggle buttons to any Activity screen (preferably Page 2-3).

Some back-ground:
- We like being able to "Switch Displays" on any Activity.
- When you power-up the projector, it must be left-on for a minimum of 15 minutes (for best lamp health).
- Projector power should not be on any Default or Page-1 screens (to prevent accidental power-ups).
I don't know if this helps, but in device power settings there is an option to leave a device powered on until you shut down all activities (hit the physical "off" button on the 650). This would allow the projector to power up only when it is needed for a given activity, but to never shut off until you hit the off button (meaning you are done using the system).

I used the above power mode for a PS3 where the bootup cycle is really long -- so it's better to leave the PS3 on all the time but still shut it down when I'm truly done using all activities. It's also helpful for a Blu-ray player when you have a movie queued up and for preventing unwanted powerdown cycles on a projector.
post #1969 of 1975 Old 05-05-2020, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I updated the firmware on my 650. Now, every time it wakes from sleep, it makes me go through the tutorial "press button xxx, etc".
Is there a way to get rid of that?
Whats the best firmware/software to use on the 650?
post #1970 of 1975 Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
I updated the firmware on my 650. Now, every time it wakes from sleep, it makes me go through the tutorial "press button xxx, etc".
Is there a way to get rid of that?
Whats the best firmware/software to use on the 650?
IIRC, that is Help or Advanced-Help. You can turn it off.

post #1971 of 1975 Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Proper Settings for Samsung Smart TV with OneConnect box

I just installed a new Samsung Q90R with a OneConnect box and I am looking for the correct settings for my Harmony 650. For any activity using the TV, do I select "Smart Hub" as the input or select "I do not set input"?

Samsung smart TV owners . .your experience is appreciated!
post #1972 of 1975 Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
I just installed a new Samsung Q90R with a OneConnect box and I am looking for the correct settings for my Harmony 650. For any activity using the TV, do I select "Smart Hub" as the input or select "I do not set input"?

Samsung smart TV owners . .your experience is appreciated!

My experience has been with older Samsung TVs, so my experience may differ from yours...

I have always added the Smart Hub command to the input list (it has never been included by default for either of the Samsung Smart Hub TVs I have) in the Harmony device setup, and then choose that as the input when starting the Smart Hub activity. This works absolutely fine for (and simplifies) starting a Smart Hub activity, but you run into problems when shutting down the activity or especially when switching to another activity. The issue is that the Samsung allows the input to be changed while still in Smart Hub mode (on my sets, if you change inputs when already in Smart Hub, it does not end the Smart Hub session but merely shows the new input in the Smart Hub PiP window). The cure (regardless of whether you call for Smart Hub as an input or as a discrete command on activity startup) is to add to your custom activity shut down command list whatever command(s) is/are necessary on your set for exiting the Smart Hub mode (it's different for my two).

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
post #1973 of 1975 Old 05-16-2020, 06:16 PM

Last time I had a problem this forum was very useful. I'm hoping someone will be able to help with my new issue. I can't seem to find any reference to the issue by googling (I might not be searching for the right thing).

Today, after reconfiguring the power cables on my system, my Harmony 665 remote started complaining that my HDMI switcher was not responding or that it had some problem (I have no idea how it would even know). It asked to fix the problem, and it walked me through some tests to turn it on and off. I've used the assistant before, but never seen this behaviour. Now, however, it fails to turn off the switcher when I hit the (activity) power off button. It turns it on correctly, and if I don't manually turn it off when everything else is turned off, next time I turn things on it will turn off the switcher (since it's a power-toggle control).

I've tried resyncing the remote, but since i know some settings can be modified directly on the remote, I assume it can sync any modifications it made from the remote to my computer, and so syncing won't fix anything.

This must be a standard feature, but as I said I can't seem to find any reference to it.

Thanks for any help.

Ben
post #1974 of 1975 Old 05-17-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Last time I had a problem this forum was very useful. I'm hoping someone will be able to help with my new issue. I can't seem to find any reference to the issue by googling (I might not be searching for the right thing).

Today, after reconfiguring the power cables on my system, my Harmony 665 remote started complaining that my HDMI switcher was not responding or that it had some problem (I have no idea how it would even know). It asked to fix the problem, and it walked me through some tests to turn it on and off. I've used the assistant before, but never seen this behaviour. Now, however, it fails to turn off the switcher when I hit the (activity) power off button. It turns it on correctly, and if I don't manually turn it off when everything else is turned off, next time I turn things on it will turn off the switcher (since it's a power-toggle control).

I've tried resyncing the remote, but since i know some settings can be modified directly on the remote, I assume it can sync any modifications it made from the remote to my computer, and so syncing won't fix anything.

This must be a standard feature, but as I said I can't seem to find any reference to it.

Thanks for any help.

Ben
I think I've answered my own questions. I believe it thought the device wasn't powering on/off correctly because I had either used the help system to fix a power on/off issue with the device, or perhaps had used the device power on/off command, too many times, making it think there was a problem with the activity sequence. As for fixing the problem that it created when it tried to fix the problem, reseting the inter-device delay back to the default (don't know what it was changed to) solved the issue.
post #1975 of 1975 Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
@Ben .gamsa.ca...similar problem(s) you have encountered plus others that I had were precisely why I retired my Model 600 and bought/using the Harmony Smart control w/hub. Best decision that I have made in awhile...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page