Remote Control FAQ, Buyer's Guide, and Programming Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 11-11-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
You just need to buy from someone who provides the software.
I bought the software from a seller who had it for his remotes. I have it installed on my XP desktop system and I did a live update. So, I am ready.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
multiple ir receivers

I know this is covered somewhere but I can't find it. I want one cable box hooked up to 4 Tv's & be able to change the channel from the room the screen I'm watching from. I need multiple IR receivers that go to 1 IR transmitter. Does anyone currently sell this?

Something such as this but I don't have the time to build these and they are oos anyhow.

IR Remote Control Multidrop Extender : 26 Steps- ww w.instructablesworkshop › home-theater
(sorry can't post actual link)

Anyone? Thnks!
post #63 of 82 Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
That's called RF. Get one of these or an RF remote.
https://www.amazon.com/Next-Generati.../dp/B000C1Z0HA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 Old 03-16-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quick questions on the Harmony 650 remote. I bought one at Christmas for my small living room system and am quite happy with it. Now I'm thinking of buying another to replace the 520 in my HT system in the basement. Will there be any issues with one operating devices in the other system (I'm guessing not?, don't have 2 items in both systems that are the same, plus the systems are a floor apart) and is it an issue to plug in through my Mac to set up the new remote using the same user info as when I programmed the other, or when I connect via USB will it recognize that this is not the same remote? Thanks!
post #65 of 82 Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 AM

No problem with multiple remotes and systems in different rooms. One account can support several remotes and tell them apart.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #66 of 82 Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I know this is a rather old thread so lets revive it with "what's the remote of choice today", and are there any other new considerations since this thread started.

I have a Harmony 880 that I have had forever. I keep programming it for new equipment and I have no complaints about ease of programming or supported hardware. I don't, however, love the button actions and everything seems too slow. I generally use it to select an "activity" since it configures all my devices, but then I gravitate to my factory remotes because they work/feel so much better. I haven't looked into these for many years so I guess what I am asking is whether universal remotes have caught up with the times and if any new remotes feel as great as the factory remotes.

What is the universal remote of choice these days?
WinMod21 likes this.

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
post #67 of 82 Old 11-16-2018, 04:39 PM

The 950, 700 and 665 are the current models closest to the 880. The Elite is the top of the line and does far more than the 880 ever could.

It’s tough to make a recommendation without knowing your requirements. My remote of choice only cost $15, is not Harmony and was discontinued nearly a decade ago and is functionally equivalent to the 880 (Nevo in my signature).
WinMod21 likes this.
post #68 of 82 Old 11-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Question Mute On until desired Volume Level is Reached

I have a Samsung Series EH5000F (UN46EH5000F XZA UDO3).

I have a Vizio 29" E291-A1, and when I mute that TV, it stays muted as I lower the volume, and then the volume returns when raise the volume. I tested this with a universal remote and it worked the same. So. the ability to do this lies in the TV, and not in the remote.

I know that LG makes a "Magic Remote" that works with some, but not all LG models, that allows you to customize how low the volume goes when you press the volume down button.

So, is there a universal remote that I could get to act like the LG Magic Remote does, as described just above, with my Samsung Series EH5000F?

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 11-21-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #69 of 82 Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hello & Happy Holidays to all here! We're considering a Harmony 665 or 700 remote, so have a few compatibility w/Sony TV & soundbar questions.

1) Do the Harmony 650/665/700 [$40./$50. @ BB] remotes have a function/button that replaces (or activates) the 'Home' button on recent Sony soundbar [HTNT5] remotes, as well as the 'Home' & 'Action Menu' buttons on Sony TV [X930E & X900E] remotes?

2) And what would be the main advantages to the Harmony 950 [$180. @ BB], or Harmony Companion [that comes w/Hub; $95. @ BB]?... both of which appear to be listed as IR as well.

Thanks very much!

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-18-2018 at 07:50 AM.
post #70 of 82 Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 AM

1) Don’t know. But if they’re missing, you can add them yourself and put on any buttons you want.

2) Hub eliminates need to aim and adds ability to use your phone as a remote. I’m personally not a fan of the Smart due to no screen or IR. 950 is nice but too pricey for me
WinMod21 likes this.
post #71 of 82 Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
1) Don’t know. But if they’re missing, you can add them yourself and put on any buttons you want.

2) Hub eliminates need to aim and adds ability to use your phone as a remote. I’m personally not a fan of the Smart due to no screen or IR. 950 is nice but too pricey for me
Thanks very much, mdavej ! Really appreciate your time and feedback. Wife wants to swing by BestBuy tonite so I'm trying to read/research the differences/advantages etc. Wish there weren't so many models. Might just go with the 665 or 700, at $40 or $50. Thanks again!
post #72 of 82 Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Picked-up a couple 700's last night, as they only had 3 left, but haven't opened pkg's and of course now considering returning them for one Companion w/Hub. And according to the BestBuy 'What's Included' description, the Companion does come with an 'IR Mini Blaster.' But wondering if we'd miss or regret not having the touchscreen as well.

Wobblin' on the fence. Maybe should wait and research more regarding which would best suit our needs.
post #73 of 82 Old 12-19-2018, 04:06 PM

Like I said, I’m not a fan. I’d much prefer a 700. No IR from the remote means you have to use hub/blasters for everything which can get messy depending on where all your devices are. No screen means all functions that aren’t on a hard button can only be accessed by phone.

But that’s just me. Some people like it.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #74 of 82 Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Ahhh, I think I'm finally starting to get what you're saying. Thank you again for your explanations, opinions and advise. They're very much appreciated, and have pretty much convinced me against going with the Companion; while yet not fully understanding the technical reasons, I'm understanding enough at this point I think, not to go with the Companion. So thanks again.

Although earlier today, after reading this CNET review on the Harmony Companion, and this review on the Elite, I decided I was definitely returning the 700's and getting the Companion ($95. @ BestBuy & amazon; but we have $20 in BB rewards so the BB price would be $75), but now I'm back to thinking it's probably worth it —relative to if one really wants the best universal that does the most stuff etc, and is willing to spend $230 (current price this week @ BB & amazon)— to fork out the dough for the Elite.

Regarding the Companion, this BestBuy reviewer concurs with you! . . .

Spoiler!

First off this dude admitted he paid retail for the Home Companion so that was not smart move number one on his part. Secondly the majority of what he is griping about are things that will be the exact same with the Elite i.e. the software and the Hub . These are the majority of his complaints it seems. Sounds like he didn't read up on what he was actually buying and needed to control more than a receiver/TV and 6 source devices.

Both the Companion and the Elite remotes are RF remotes meaning there is no line of sight necessary for either other than the positioning of the included IR blasters (1 for the HC/2 for the Elite.) The biggest benefits of the Elite are unlimited Activity access on the remote, syncing of changes wirelessly and up to 15 device capabilities for said activities. Other than that you'll get 3 days or so out of the battery if not recradling the remote each time and some accidental touch screen activations from time to time. I've had maybe one or two minor issues with the Home Companion over the last year or so. Most times they were Hub related and easily fixed with a sync setting. The backlight remote is a big plus for the Elite and other Harmony remotes that have this. The Home Companion does not and it's one of its biggest drawbacks but I've easily memorized the remotes buttons and for anyone who already used a DirecTV remote the changeover is fairly smooth and intuitive. Alexa control also solves some of the BB users complaints about the Companion as well regarding reciever audio setting changes. I've only used the Android Harmony remote app and the Windows Harmony program when physically connecting the Hub and haven't had any real issues with either . Can't speak to the Apple experience. Sounds like his wasn't so hot. Bottom line IMO is he bought less than what he actually wanted and had to call what he didn't want trash but the Elite shares many of the same things he's unhappy about so I doubt he'd be much of an Elite fan either. I do think the Elite is a good deal at their current discounted price though. 2 different remotes for 2 different types of users. I have a full home theater setup in a bedroom with 2 OPPO players, an AV receiver with an external 5 channel power amp, Onkyo 6 disc CD changer, Amazon Firestick, Amazon Echo Dot and a Sony TV. All work well with the Home companion just as they would with the Elite. Its budget vs expectations. Spend more for the former than you think you received with the latter and buyers remorse sets in real quick. I knew exactly what to expect from the Companion and spent an amount commensurate with those expectations so I'm a happy camper. Do the same with the Elite and you will be as well.
WinMod21 and beerhunt like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #75 of 82 Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
First off this dude admitted he paid retail for the Home Companion so that was not smart move number one on his part. Secondly the majority of what he is griping about are things that will be the exact same with the Elite i.e. the software and the Hub . These are the majority of his complaints it seems. Sounds like he didn't read up on what he was actually buying and needed to control more than a receiver/TV and 6 source devices.

Both the Companion and the Elite remotes are RF remotes meaning there is no line of sight necessary for either other than the positioning of the included IR blasters (1 for the HC/2 for the Elite.) The biggest benefits of the Elite are unlimited Activity access on the remote, syncing of changes wirelessly and up to 15 device capabilities for said activities. Other than that you'll get 3 days or so out of the battery if not recradling the remote each time and some accidental touch screen activations from time to time. I've had maybe one or two minor issues with the Home Companion over the last year or so. Most times they were Hub related and easily fixed with a sync setting. The backlight remote is a big plus for the Elite and other Harmony remotes that have this. The Home Companion does not and it's one of its biggest drawbacks but I've easily memorized the remotes buttons and for anyone who already used a DirecTV remote the changeover is fairly smooth and intuitive. Alexa control also solves some of the BB users complaints about the Companion as well regarding reciever audio setting changes. I've only used the Android Harmony remote app and the Windows Harmony program when physically connecting the Hub and haven't had any real issues with either . Can't speak to the Apple experience. Sounds like his wasn't so hot. Bottom line IMO is he bought less than what he actually wanted and had to call what he didn't want trash but the Elite shares many of the same things he's unhappy about so I doubt he'd be much of an Elite fan either. I do think the Elite is a good deal at their current discounted price though. 2 different remotes for 2 different types of users. I have a full home theater setup in a bedroom with 2 OPPO players, an AV receiver with an external 5 channel power amp, Onkyo 6 disc CD changer, Amazon Firestick, Amazon Echo Dot and a Sony TV. All work well with the Home companion just as they would with the Elite. Its budget vs expectations. Spend more for the former than you think you received with the latter and buyers remorse sets in real quick. I knew exactly what to expect from the Companion and spent an amount commensurate with those expectations so I'm a happy camper. Do the same with the Elite and you will be as well.
Thanks Madmax, that all makes perfect sense. I guess I shouldn't've said I'm convinced against going with the Companion, as I'm truly still on the fence so to speak. As always, you points make excellent sense. Thanks for following the link here and commenting; as I didn't want to overload you with PM's.
post #76 of 82 Old 12-20-2018, 10:14 AM

The major differences between Elite and Companion are the latter has no display (hence no place for additional functions) and no IR on the remote.

The IR thing comes into play when you've got your hub/blaster in a different room than the TV or in a cabinet such that IR won't reach the TV. With the Elite, it can shoot IR from the remote and hit the TV. Companion can't shoot IR from the remote, so you have no control of your TV in that case and would have to run blasters from the other room or outside your cabinet.

If the above aren't issues in your setup, then the Companion would work ok. But in my main system, I've got tons of additional functions I need access to all the time, so such a remote won't cut it. But it would be tolerable in simpler systems like in a bedroom or kitchen.

I can't speak to the reliability complaint as I've never used either remote.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #77 of 82 Old 12-20-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Thanks Madmax, that all makes perfect sense. I guess I shouldn't've said I'm convinced against going with the Companion, as I'm truly still on the fence so to speak. As always, you points make excellent sense. Thanks for following the link here and commenting; as I didn't want to overload you with PM's.
No problem sir. Not taking issue with seriously considering the Elite. I think that's actually a smart idea on your part. Just taking issue with that guys flame post of the Companion. I am the gripiest grinch when it comes to things I buy not working right for me and the Companion has given me almost none of that short of a couple of out of sync issues several months back. The Harmony remotes aren't perfect but they are so much better than having a handful of remotes at the ready. I still need to use my Denon remote every once in a while but that's because I dont make good use of my Alexa skills like I should. 95% of the time its all Harmony though and I think with the current discount on the Elite it's feature set is well worth it. Getting feedback from this community is a good thing as well. We all use our remotes in different ways with completely different setups and expectations. My aversion to a touchscreen remote made the Companion a great option. Not many share that aversion nor should they. Better to buy a little bit more than you need than a little bit less.
WinMod21 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #78 of 82 Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Do any harmony remotes offer volume lock, where you lock all devices used with the volume up and down of your receiver.

Matt
post #79 of 82 Old 12-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Do any harmony remotes offer volume lock, where you lock all devices used with the volume up and down of your receiver.
No. Not a single Harmony has ever had that capability, as I said in your other thread. Activities are their volume lock. You'll have to use the workarounds I posted in your other thread. Harmony's paradigm is that you should never have to use device mode if you program the remote correctly, i.e., add all your needed device commands to custom buttons in your activities.

The Nevo in my signature has volume lock for both activities and devices like a typical remote not made by Logitech. It's functionally equivalent to a Harmony 900 and about 1/5th the price.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #80 of 82 Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 AM

@WinMod21

I tend to agree with the Best Buy guy. I can't do a detailed comparison of all those options, but I can tell you what I do.

I use my Amazon 4k Fire Stick remote 90% of the time. It has voice control, and controls the basics of my system and all my streaming apps and DVR as well as related power and input switching and volume control. For the rest (playing music, blu-ray, etc.), I use Nevo (or any similar Harmony) to access those other functions not handled by the Fire Stick remote. But I've added IR to the Stick so that I can fully control it (minus voice) with my Nevo. My kids use their phones to control the system. The phone remote I use (theHomeRemote) does everything my Nevo can do plus my thermostats and lights. A Google Home or Alexa type solution does open the door to home automation if you think you'll ever want to go that direction.

I like the Fire Stick better than the other options you listed because it runs all my streaming apps, OTA DVR (Recast), is cheap and has voice control as well as a remote that controls my AVR volume. The others (Shield, etc.) are also good options, but more expensive and complex. Roku is also cheap and a very good streamer (I have lots of them) but can't be my OTA DVR like the Amazon system.

If you're interested in Nevo's, buy them on ebay, not Amazon. I saw one the other day for less than $30, and that was the high end C3 with RF, touchscreen, and rechargeable battery. Supplies are much tighter than they used to be since these went off the market many years ago. But I'd say the average prices I've paid were about $15 for C2's and $30 for C3's. I would never pay $120 for a C2 when an equivalent Harmony is $40. I have many, many Nevo's, enough to last me the rest of my life.

Having said all that, technology changes all the time. It's a moving target. The best solution today probably won't be the best solution a year from now. I've changed remotes and control systems many times. So just pick the thing you like best today that checks all your boxes, but don't spend too much.

Good luck
WinMod21 and beerhunt like this.
post #81 of 82 Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, I've been looking for a DIY system that can control my av components via direct 2way ip or rs232 and make use of a handheld remote with buttons. From what I can tell, the harmony hub throws the "ip" designation out there a lot, but still relies on ir control of the device itself. I've tinkered with Irule in the past and am currently considering MyURemote, but they do not appear to support real handhelds. Is there an integration between Harmony hub and MyURemote that would result in direct ip control with handheld? I'm more than willing to make use of the Globalcache products and take the time to program and customize everything. What are my options?? Thanks in advance to any feedback!
post #82 of 82 Old 10-19-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Harmony 665 info:

I did a lot of searching here and elsewhere without finding the answers I was looking for, but went ahead and bought a 665 anyway. I thought I might share my experience with it so far in hopes that it will help someone.

One week into ownership and I pretty happy with it, but I am tweaking it as needed.

1. Software programing: Personally, I did not find it as hard as some reviewers on various sites claim. I have dealt with much worse and this is workable.

2. Delay: I have not had any lag time between button press and execution. I do see some lag time when I press an activity button in that the remote doesn't normalize for several seconds after the command has been implemented. Otherwise, my equipment responds quickly. (Actually, my equip. always responds quickly. It's the remote that waits when doing activity commands.)

3. What turns on and off: When changing AVR inputs, I didn't want the Sat dish to turn off every time I switched. (The SAT dish turns itself after a set period of inactivity.) You can set the SW to leave a particular device on when you press the power off button or change to another device. However, that also disables powering up that device when you turn things on. In my case, that is a Dish DVR and pressing the enter button wakes it up anyway so it's not a big concern to me. Of course it might matter to someone which is why I mention it.

4. Soft keys: You can press the Activities button and bring up all your programed activities on the screen. You can page through them but you CANNOT re-arrange them. That would be nice. You CAN rearrange the soft keys within a given activity though which is nice, allowing you to put the most frequently used buttons on page 1. The pages cycle through in a circular fashion so when you get to the last page the right page key takes you back to the 1st page.

edit: You are also able to put a bunch of favorite channels on those soft keys, as well as arrange them to your liking.

5. Bottom keys: There is a lot of versatility here. You can pretty much put anything where ever you want. The discovery I made was that in some other modes, the buttons defaulted to something other than my AVR. For example, in watch tv mode, the buttons control the sat dish with exception of the volume which I defined as AVR. But when I switched to HEOS, those buttons all defaulted to controls related to the TV, including volume. In my case, I only turn the TV on and off. Everything else is another component. I was fairly easy though to change that. I was able to assign all the buttons for the AVR under my HEOS activity by going into the activity in programing and using drag and drop from a list to the button. Yes, each button individually but once you have done them all, you save and then sync to the remote. It went pretty quick so no biggie. If you hover a button, a pop up will tell you what is there and what device it came from. (Digit 1 TV, volume up AVR, etc.)

Take away: It's pretty versatile for a 50 dollar remote and will keep the use of my factory remote to a bare minimum thereby helping it last longer. If I come up with anything else, I'll update this post.

I realize many here know all this stuff, but I hope to help those who don't or are trying to make an informed buying decision.

John

Last edited by Guzzi 1; 10-19-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Remote Control Harmony 650 , Harmony 900 Remote , Logitech Harmony 890 Remote Control Refurbished , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Cat5 Rack 1u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page