Forum Jump: 
 153Likes

post #11521 of 11691 Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Assuming you are using one network, try changing the IP address of your GC to the same network as your router. Something like, 192.168.50.70 assuming .70 is not already being used on your network. If .70 is being used, find an available IP on the 192.168.50.x network. Use the router address of 192.168.50.1 as your default gateway for your GC.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11691 Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Assuming you are using one network, try changing the IP address of your GC to the same network as your router. Something like, 192.168.50.70 assuming .70 is not already being used on your network. If .70 is being used, find an available IP on the 192.168.50.x network. Use the router address of 192.168.50.1 as your default gateway for your GC.
Exactly this. It sounds like someone set your router to .50 to be interesting, it's not the standard. The easiest thing to do would be to connect the GC directly to a laptop or something (make sure you use a crossconnect cabe), reset the GC to something on the same subnet.

Other than that, it gets tricky to change your network. You could reset the router from a .50 network ot a .1, then connect to the GC to configure it. Change the GC to a .50, then change the network back. Most of us access the router thru a web browser, so don't forget to point to the new .50 address after you reboot it.
post #11523 of 11691 Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am sure somewhere along the way we reset the modem and got to something unusual.

I just need to know what exactly a cross connect cable is. Is this from amazon what I need?

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation...er+cable&psc=1

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11524 of 11691 Old 07-12-2018, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 465
That would work, but here is a simple cable that is less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

While more complicated, you could also temporarily change the IP address of your router and a PC/Laptop to the same network of the GC, then change the GC IP address to your primary network, then change the router and PC.

If you do that, it's free. Just make sure you change the router IP first, then your PC. Make sure you do it correctly, setting the default gateway to the same network, then your PC. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, the cable above or what you linked will work.

Good luck!

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #11525 of 11691 Old 07-12-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket_fan View Post
I am sure somewhere along the way we reset the modem and got to something unusual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
If you do that, it's free. Just make sure you change the router IP first, then your PC. Make sure you do it correctly, setting the default gateway to the same network, then your PC. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, the cable above or what you linked will work.

Good luck!
If there isn't a real reason for the router to be on a different subnet, I'd start there. I know folks that change it for security purposes, supernetting, and other things; but if you have none of those, I'd change the house to 192.168.1.x. That's pretty much the world's default for "my own private network". Most things we connected now use DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol), which basically means they come on the network and ask for an address, which leads the router to give them the next available on on the network. In cases like that, you'll never have a problem with your .50 subnet. Unfortunately, every once in a blue moon you'll have something like the GC come along, which defaults to 192.168.1.x, and then the problems kick in.

Your network, so your decision. Personally, I'd change over to 192.168.1.
post #11526 of 11691 Old 07-12-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You don't need to change anything on your router, you don't need a crossover cable etc. You can fix this in 30 seconds, over Wi-Fi even.

Set a static IP on your device - laptop for example, to the same subnet as the GC unit. If GC unit is at default 192.168.1.70, set your laptop to 192.168.1.200 (for example.) You can use 255.255.255.0 for the mask. Ignore/leave blank Gateway and DNS settings. Make sure you select the right NIC interface on your PC when doing this.

Open up GC web interface and change the IP to either DHCP or set a static IP you have planned for it. Put your PC back to previous settings. You're good to go.
post #11527 of 11691 Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

I appreciate the help but this is getting frustrating... After trying to post, found out I was not logged in. Arrgh.

The one positive is that the cross connect cable i ordered really did come in 1 day. And without using a drone.

I googled several topics about changing lan connections and this is what I ended up doing.

So I connected the cable from the computer to the GC (I am using wireless on the computer)

1. Opened control panel
2. Network and sharing center
3. Change adapter settings
4. Local Area Connection 5 (this is the GC - verified by unplugging the connection and getting a red X)
5. Right click on properties
6. Note: all boxes checked under properties
7. Click "Internet Protocol Version 4"
8. Properties and input

IP Address 192.168.50.7
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.50.1

I left the DNS server blank.

Still can't find the GC

Do I need to set something for the DNS server? If so how do I find out those properties? My computer has nothing other than to automatically obtain the DNS address.

This is what I get. As usual, what am i doing wrong. I really prefer not to change the router.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DNS.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2427722  

Mark
post #11528 of 11691 Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Global cache has default IP of 192.168.1.70 correct, you used their ihelp utility to find it?

You did steps properly, you just need to set IP on your PC to correct network. Set your PC to 192.168.1.200. 192.168.50.x is your current network. Don't use an IP in that range.

Then, open up a browser window and go to 192.168.1.70. You should be on GC web interface. Set it to DHCP so it grabs IP from your current network. Don't set it to static unless you know DHCP scope on your network.
post #11529 of 11691 Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post
Global cache has default IP of 192.168.1.70 correct, you used their ihelp utility to find it?

You did steps properly, you just need to set IP on your PC to correct network. Set your PC to 192.168.1.200. 192.168.50.x is your current network. Don't use an IP in that range.

Then, open up a browser window and go to 192.168.1.70. You should be on GC web interface. Set it to DHCP so it grabs IP from your current network. Don't set it to static unless you know DHCP scope on your network.
For the record: setting the two to the same subnet will only work if the PC knows how to cross the subnet to the other device (GC). If the PC has to cross your wifi network to get to the GC, and that's on a different subnet (.50), then it may not know how to get there, depending on the router's tables.

The easiest thing to do would be to change the PC's IP as he mentions above (192.168.1.200), use the interconnect cable (disable wifi), and open the webpage to the 192.168.1.70.

1) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, and use wifi - it will likely not route because the router doesn't know how to cross from x.x.1.x to x.x.50.x and back to x.x.1.x
2) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, and use the interconnect AND have wifi still on - it will likely not route because it ignores the cable, defaults to wifi and you have the routing problem above
3) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, use the interconect and DISABLE wife - it should almost definitely work
4) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, AND x.x.1.1 on the router - it likely WILL route, because the router DOES know how to cross from the x.x.1.200 PC to the x.x.1.1 router to the x.x.1.70 GC
5) If you have x.x.50.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, and x.x.50.1 on the router - it will likely NOT work because the router doesn't know how to cross from x.x.50.x to x.x.1.x

TLDR: Make sure you're using option 3 or 4

If you're trying 3 or 4 and it still doesn't work let us know and we can try to walk you thru.
post #11530 of 11691 Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
For the record: setting the two to the same subnet will only work if the PC knows how to cross the subnet to the other device (GC). If the PC has to cross your wifi network to get to the GC, and that's on a different subnet (.50), then it may not know how to get there, depending on the router's tables.

The easiest thing to do would be to change the PC's IP as he mentions above (192.168.1.200), use the interconnect cable (disable wifi), and open the webpage to the 192.168.1.70.

1) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, and use wifi - it will likely not route because the router doesn't know how to cross from x.x.1.x to x.x.50.x and back to x.x.1.x
2) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, and use the interconnect AND have wifi still on - it will likely not route because it ignores the cable, defaults to wifi and you have the routing problem above
3) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, use the interconect and DISABLE wife - it should almost definitely work
4) If you have x.x.1.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, AND x.x.1.1 on the router - it likely WILL route, because the router DOES know how to cross from the x.x.1.200 PC to the x.x.1.1 router to the x.x.1.70 GC
5) If you have x.x.50.200 on the PC, x.x.1.70 on the GC, and x.x.50.1 on the router - it will likely NOT work because the router doesn't know how to cross from x.x.50.x to x.x.1.x

TLDR: Make sure you're using option 3 or 4

If you're trying 3 or 4 and it still doesn't work let us know and we can try to walk you thru.
The Wi-Fi doesn't care what IP he has as long as he authenticates properly. You will be able to talk to other devices on the same physical network if you are on same subnet as those other devices. Even if DHCP is handing out a completely different IP scope.

Setup 5 PCs on a switch (no router or firewall) with static IPs. You can even drop an access point broadcasting Wi-Fi on that switch too. Everything will communicate, with the exception of getting out to the public internet of course.

If the GC is at 192.168.1.70 like he mentioned, all he needs to do is set either of his interfaces (even the Wi-Fi) to 192.168.1.x and he can hit the GC and change it's IP to the correct 192.168.50.x (his current network)

This can be done directly over Wi-Fi in 30 seconds. This is all layer 2 networking, and none of this traffic is hitting the gateway. There is no routing involved, it's just the built-in switch doing it's thing.

Changing router settings, buying cables etc, you guys are over complicating things here.
post #11531 of 11691 Old 07-13-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Wi-Fi doesn't care what IP he has as long as he authenticates properly. You will be able to talk to other devices on the same physical network if you are on same subnet as those other devices. Even if DHCP is handing out a completely different IP scope.
Agreed, but without a shared common gateway two devices on two DIFFERENT subnets will NOT communicate, which is his original problem. THAT's what we're trying to resolve here.

Quote:
Setup 5 PCs on a switch (no router or firewall) with static IPs. You can even drop an access point broadcasting Wi-Fi on that switch too. Everything will communicate, with the exception of getting out to the public internet of course.
Just to clarify, you're talking about a switch (non-routed), no router (which he has), and static addresses, not what his situation is. All (most all) routers will switch, but (most) switches will not route. So while I agree with what you said here, that's not his situation, nor does it help. Unless you're trying to recommend he buy a switch and set things up that way? Way more complicated than buying a cable as I suggested, but whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
If the GC is at 192.168.1.70 like he mentioned, all he needs to do is set either of his interfaces (even the Wi-Fi) to 192.168.1.x and he can hit the GC and change it's IP to the correct 192.168.50.x (his current network)
Correct, but in that case what you're talking about is removing the necessity of routing, which is the same thing as an interconnect cable. Tho, I will grant you this is the most helpful part of your post, and not a bad solution.

Quote:
This can be done directly over Wi-Fi in 30 seconds. This is all layer 2 networking, and none of this traffic is hitting the gateway. There is no routing involved, it's just the built-in switch doing it's thing.
That's true ONLY IF he successfully adds the second interface address on the same subnet as the GC.

Quote:
Changing router settings, buying cables etc, you guys are over complicating things here.
Congrats on knowing something about networking, I'm sure you're the only person on the board. (NOT)
What the rest of us are trying to do is give him the simplest steps to troubleshoot his problem and connect to the GC, WITHOUT having to teach him everything we're talking about in these last few posts AND the OSI reference model.
post #11532 of 11691 Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed, but without a shared common gateway two devices on two DIFFERENT subnets will NOT communicate, which is his original problem. THAT's what we're trying to resolve here.

Just to clarify, you're talking about a switch (non-routed), no router (which he has), and static addresses, not what his situation is. All (most all) routers will switch, but (most) switches will not route. So while I agree with what you said here, that's not his situation, nor does it help. Unless you're trying to recommend he buy a switch and set things up that way? Way more complicated than buying a cable as I suggested, but whatever floats your boat.

Correct, but in that case what you're talking about is removing the necessity of routing, which is the same thing as an interconnect cable. Tho, I will grant you this is the most helpful part of your post, and not a bad solution.

That's true ONLY IF he successfully adds the second interface address on the same subnet as the GC.

Congrats on knowing something about networking, I'm sure you're the only person on the board. (NOT)
What the rest of us are trying to do is give him the simplest steps to troubleshoot his problem and connect to the GC, WITHOUT having to teach him everything we're talking about in these last few posts AND the OSI reference model.
Why is this so difficult for you to understand? The GC is at default IP of 192.168.1.70. You set static IP on your PC/laptop to same subnet and viola, you are on same subnet. It doesn't matter if you do this over Wi-Fi or with a straight through cable on the same physical network. LOL at telling someone to buy a crossover cable in 2018 to change an IP address.

I used that as an example to explain how L2 networking works, which you don't seem to grasp since you don't even understand how Wi-Fi works, as referenced in your first comment of your previous post. Let me try to make it simpler, the WIFI is not on a different subnet.... IF (that part's important) you set a static IP on your Wi-Fi interface on your laptop. Guess what happens then? You are on the Wi-Fi, with a different subnet assigned to your Wi-Fi interface, shocker! Then, you can talk to all other devices on that same subnet, like a GC for example that's on it's default IP, crazy! All of his devices are currently connected to SWITCH ports, unless he using some enterprise level firewall which has L3 routed ports, which I doubt. So change the IP of your desired interface on your PC, change the GC IP, change your PC back, and call it a day. I don't know how many times I have to explain there is no routing involved here.

You're trying to do this the simple way? You actually typed that after: recommending he change the entire LAN scope for his network, and to actually order a crossover cable, for something that takes 30 seconds to do without doing either. Get real. I can actually paste from your post where you say to change the entire IP scheme of his network to change the GC IP, since you obv don't know that is completely unnecessary. Actually, here it is:

Other than that, it gets tricky to change your network. You could reset the router from a .50 network ot a .1, then connect to the GC to configure it. Change the GC to a .50, then change the network back. Most of us access the router thru a web browser, so don't forget to point to the new .50 address after you reboot it.

Jacket-fan, I apologize your request for help turned into a complete ****-show, but you were getting some absolutely awful "technical" advice.
post #11533 of 11691 Old 07-13-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why is this so difficult for you to understand? The GC is at default IP of 192.168.1.70. You set static IP on your PC/laptop to same subnet and viola, you are on same subnet. It doesn't matter if you do this over Wi-Fi or with a straight through cable on the same physical network. LOL at telling someone to buy a crossover cable in 2018 to change an IP address.
It's difficult for me to understand b/c you are being rude, and more focused on trying to look smarter than everyone else, than simply helping someone with a problem. As a result, instead of clarifying something you think is a bit off, you need to come up with a completely different solution, complete with snarky remarks. I'm guessing in an attempt to make yourself look/feel better? Therefore, as a result of your attacks, I've been more focused on nit-picking your responses to find things to correct (which hasn't really been that difficult, TBH) than helping with the original question. Case in point...
Just to clarify: you are aware that straight-thru (also sometimes called patch cables) are used to connect a device to a network component (or something else with an uplink port), while crossover cables are used to connect two like devices (such as a laptop and GC) without the use of an uplink port? Don't worry, I'm sure you meant that you wanted to use a straight thru cable with your router/switch. NOT that you wanted him to connect his laptop to the GC, like I recommended...
Tho I will acknowledge I didn't consider having to go out and buy a cable, b/c I keep one or two around. If I couldn't find one, normally I'd just cut the tip off one I have, put on a new one to make it a crossover, then cut that off to go back to straight thru. Of course, I don't have a problem w/how I've supernetted my home, as we'll see when we get to your italicized section below.

Quote:
I used that as an example to explain how L2 networking works, which you don't seem to grasp since you don't even understand how Wi-Fi works, as referenced in your first comment of your previous post. Let me try to make it simpler, the WIFI is not on a different subnet.... IF (that part's important) you set a static IP on your Wi-Fi interface on your laptop. Guess what happens then? You are on the Wi-Fi, with a different subnet assigned to your Wi-Fi interface, shocker! Then, you can talk to all other devices on that same subnet, like a GC for example that's on it's default IP, crazy! All of his devices are currently connected to SWITCH ports, unless he using some enterprise level firewall which has L3 routed ports, which I doubt. So change the IP of your desired interface on your PC, change the GC IP, change your PC back, and call it a day. I don't know how many times I have to explain there is no routing involved here.
Yup, I don't get how L2 networking works, you got me. I've been faking it at work for YEARS. Tho I would argue that since we're primarily discussing IP, that's Layer 3. Oops!!
Oh, and for the record: In your example there IS routing involved, it's simply handled by the OS, between the two network interfaces. Oops again.

Quote:
You're trying to do this the simple way? You actually typed that after: recommending he change the entire LAN scope for his network, and to actually order a crossover cable, for something that takes 30 seconds to do without doing either. Get real. I can actually paste from your post where you say to change the entire IP scheme of his network to change the GC IP, since you obv don't know that is completely unnecessary. Actually, here it is:

Sorry, I think in your selective copying and pasting you missed the part where I also recommended changing the whole network from .50 to .1. Yeah, I know, it's important to skip that part b/c then my comment makes sense. Changing the router subnet to x.x.1.x is the simplest thing to do in this case BECAUSE he said there's no reason not to, and this will remove any future problems he has similar to this.

Quote:
Jacket-fan, I apologize your request for help turned into a complete ****-show, but you were getting some absolutely awful "technical" advice.
No, you don't really apologize. You're making a failed attempt to take the moral high ground while coming across as the more knowledgeable nice guy. The problem you're having is that you're being rude as he11 while failing to show yourself as "smarter at this". Next time, try simply saying that you have another idea that may work well. Another idea that could be simpler in his instance. A solution you've tried in the past, etc. While doing that, you may want to acknowledge that there are others on the forum with as much or even (GASP) more experience in networking than you. A little bit of that humility will prevent you from being stuck in situations like this in the future.
post #11534 of 11691 Old 07-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Guys I appreciate the help and am sorry I got a pissing match going.

Unfortunately, I have to admit defeat. I did end up going back and setting the router to 192.168.1.1.

It is amazing how many things in the house are interconnected. Phones, laptops, thermostats, printers, TVs.

At the risk of starting another pissing match, I have another problem. My previous set up was using all IR. With the GC-100 I was planning to use RS232 to a Marantz 8802 and an OPPO BDP-105. I found devices with RS 232 in the titles and they list network codes. I set up a new page with the new codes, set the devices under Channel 1 and Channel 2 in the gateway, but have had no luck getting them to work. Is there something additional you have to do to get the rs232 devices to work.

Is used standard DB9 to DB9 cables.

All the IR functions work correctly.

I did not see anything special concerning this on the iRule website.

Thanks,

Mark
post #11535 of 11691 Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's difficult for me to understand b/c you are being rude, and more focused on trying to look smarter than everyone else, than simply helping someone with a problem. As a result, instead of clarifying something you think is a bit off, you need to come up with a completely different solution, complete with snarky remarks. I'm guessing in an attempt to make yourself look/feel better? Therefore, as a result of your attacks, I've been more focused on nit-picking your responses to find things to correct (which hasn't really been that difficult, TBH) than helping with the original question. Case in point...
Just to clarify: you are aware that straight-thru (also sometimes called patch cables) are used to connect a device to a network component (or something else with an uplink port), while crossover cables are used to connect two like devices (such as a laptop and GC) without the use of an uplink port? Don't worry, I'm sure you meant that you wanted to use a straight thru cable with your router/switch. NOT that you wanted him to connect his laptop to the GC, like I recommended...
Tho I will acknowledge I didn't consider having to go out and buy a cable, b/c I keep one or two around. If I couldn't find one, normally I'd just cut the tip off one I have, put on a new one to make it a crossover, then cut that off to go back to straight thru. Of course, I don't have a problem w/how I've supernetted my home, as we'll see when we get to your italicized section below.

Yup, I don't get how L2 networking works, you got me. I've been faking it at work for YEARS. Tho I would argue that since we're primarily discussing IP, that's Layer 3. Oops!!
Oh, and for the record: In your example there IS routing involved, it's simply handled by the OS, between the two network interfaces. Oops again.

Sorry, I think in your selective copying and pasting you missed the part where I also recommended changing the whole network from .50 to .1. Yeah, I know, it's important to skip that part b/c then my comment makes sense. Changing the router subnet to x.x.1.x is the simplest thing to do in this case BECAUSE he said there's no reason not to, and this will remove any future problems he has similar to this.

No, you don't really apologize. You're making a failed attempt to take the moral high ground while coming across as the more knowledgeable nice guy. The problem you're having is that you're being rude as he11 while failing to show yourself as "smarter at this". Next time, try simply saying that you have another idea that may work well. Another idea that could be simpler in his instance. A solution you've tried in the past, etc. While doing that, you may want to acknowledge that there are others on the forum with as much or even (GASP) more experience in networking than you. A little bit of that humility will prevent you from being stuck in situations like this in the future.

You're unreal. You do this for a living? I weep for your clients or customers.

Nothing was missed in your previous "advice." Telling someone to change his ENTIRE LAN network to re-IP a global cache, or to order a crossover cable for something that takes 30 seconds to do without is the height of incompetence. There's a million reasons to NOT change his current LAN scope, especially when you don't know anything about his network or the devices behind it. The fact you thought that was needed to simply re-IP a device shows your level of expertise. Normally, I don't give a **** but your garbage advice is dangerous to anyone looking for help, and can completely screw up their network. What if he was double-natted and his edge device was already at 192.168.1.0/24? What if he had to change the LAN network and the DHCP scope separately in his router/firewall?

And it's still obvious you don't know the difference between routing and switching. Set up a lab and learn something.

Maybe you should re-read the thread. My first advice was to do it the easiest, simplest way possible. I didn't respond to your nonsense until you quoted me and started in with completely INCORRECT information. Do you understand how Wi-Fi networking works now? Maybe you should try some humility, you might learn something.
post #11536 of 11691 Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have to admit defeat. I did end up going back and setting the router to 192.168.1.1.

It is amazing how many things in the house are interconnected. Phones, laptops, thermostats, printers, TVs.

At the risk of starting another pissing match, I have another problem. My previous set up was using all IR. With the GC-100 I was planning to use RS232 to a Marantz 8802 and an OPPO BDP-105. I found devices with RS 232 in the titles and they list network codes. I set up a new page with the new codes, set the devices under Channel 1 and Channel 2 in the gateway, but have had no luck getting them to work. Is there something additional you have to do to get the rs232 devices to work.

Is used standard DB9 to DB9 cables.

All the IR functions work correctly.

I did not see anything special concerning this on the iRule website.

Thanks,
Make sure baud-rate in GC is correct. I think default on GC-100 is 19200, your devices might need something else. Also need to make sure you are using correct serial cable. Do your devices need straight or null?
post #11537 of 11691 Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

I am using a serial cable.

I have no clue how to determine the baud rate of the GC-100. The spec from Global Cache lists it as having a wide range of baud rates.

Mark
post #11538 of 11691 Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Nothing was missed in your previous "advice." Telling someone to change his ENTIRE LAN network to re-IP a global cache, or to order a crossover cable for something that takes 30 seconds to do without is the height of incompetence. There's a million reasons to NOT change his current LAN scope, especially when you don't know anything about his network or the devices behind it. The fact you thought that was needed to simply re-IP a device shows your level of expertise. Normally, I don't give a **** but your garbage advice is dangerous to anyone looking for help, and can completely screw up their network. What if he was double-natted and his edge device was already at 192.168.1.0/24? What if he had to change the LAN network and the DHCP scope separately in his router/firewall?
Ooops, for a third time. I'm sorry if my advice is what fixed his problem, but that's strike three bud, you're out. I can see by the way you're lashing out that you're upset, but don't worry, one or two more Learning Tree classes and you'll be able to sound smart on the internet!

Again, maybe you missed the part where I asked him if there was any reason that his router's subnet was set to something different? Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that some Geek Squad Hero like yourself told him that it would "improve security", or that he "needed to be double NAT'd", or that he needed an "edge device in his house, to really bring QOS to his network", or "to restrict his IP range down to a /24 network to really restrict access". Because, yeah, there's often lots of reasons to have varying DHCP sub ranges on a simple home network...

Quote:
Maybe you should re-read the thread. My first advice was to do it the easiest, simplest way possible. I didn't respond to your nonsense until you quoted me and started in with completely INCORRECT information. Do you understand how Wi-Fi networking works now? Maybe you should try some humility, you might learn something.
MY advice is what he followed, and the most reasonable out there for someone with a simple home network with no need for any change, to reduce future problems. Maybe you should stick to helping your grandma when she can't get her computer to turn on, and being the neighborhood printer-toner-replacement-hero. Have fun in your lab with your D-Link router/wifi combo unit from Tiger Direct, and let those that have been doing this for a living for decades be in charge. Given your attitude I doubt you'll learn something, but at least you won't be proven wrong after spouting off for days and then laughably trying to talk to others about humility.

See? I can be rude and a jacka$$ on the internet too.
post #11539 of 11691 Old 07-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

I am still trying to get RS 232 connected. I have a Marantz 8802 and an OPPO PDP-105. I have some information from OPPO on baud rates (9600) and pin outs. It appears there are only 3 pins used.

I have no experience with RS 232 so cut me some slack.

Two obvious questions.

1. How do I set the baud rates on the GC-100?
2. Do I have to make my own cables?

Mark
post #11540 of 11691 Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
I am still trying to get RS 232 connected. I have a Marantz 8802 and an OPPO PDP-105. I have some information from OPPO on baud rates (9600) and pin outs. It appears there are only 3 pins used.

I have no experience with RS 232 so cut me some slack.

Two obvious questions.

1. How do I set the baud rates on the GC-100?
2. Do I have to make my own cables?
GC-100 baud rates are set in the units web interface. You can look at the Oppo site, but a normal PC serial cable should work between the two.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP1...col_v1.2.2.pdf

Last edited by SJHT; 07-18-2018 at 07:13 AM.
post #11541 of 11691 Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After the latest software update of the Insteon hub 2245-222, I can't control it with iRule.
Before the software update everything was OK.
I know the hub is working because I can control all lamps by Alexa and using Insteon app.
Any help?
Thanks
post #11542 of 11691 Old 07-27-2018, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosreg1 View Post
After the latest software update of the Insteon hub 2245-222, I can't control it with iRule.
Before the software update everything was OK.
I know the hub is working because I can control all lamps by Alexa and using Insteon app.
Any help?
Thanks
The IP address of the hub may have changed, in which case the configuration in irule has to change also to match. The other possibility is ports may have changed. I keep my automation controller on fixed IP for that reason.
post #11543 of 11691 Old 08-04-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
The IP address of the hub may have changed, in which case the configuration in irule has to change also to match. The other possibility is ports may have changed. I keep my automation controller on fixed IP for that reason.
Do you know how to setup the 2245 hub with irule? I have always used my 2242 hub and recently moved. I setup the newer hub (2245) and trying to get it setup. I have a green light in irule for the connection but can not control lights.
post #11544 of 11691 Old 08-06-2018, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Do you know how to setup the 2245 hub with irule? I have always used my 2242 hub and recently moved. I setup the newer hub (2245) and trying to get it setup. I have a green light in irule for the connection but can not control lights.
The HUB uses the same commands as the SmartLinc device within the iRule database. The Insteon sample commands are what you will need to edit to match the ID's of the dimmers installed.

Sample ID 1A.11.E4 \x02\x62\x1A\x11\xE4\x0F\x11\xFF to set the dimmer to 100%

You can see within the command the portions that need to be edited to match the ID being used in your setup. There is also a Insteon RA Scene device as well when browsing for the individual commands.

The IP address needs to be identified within your network. The port is 9761 and the gateway type is Network.

The username and password is the same username and password used to access the Insteon application.
post #11545 of 11691 Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I believe that the TCP port number has been changed with the 2245 model vs. the 2242.

I found port #25105 in one of their support docs. Maybe this will help: https://www.insteon.com/support-know...dress-and-port

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #11546 of 11691 Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jacket Fan,

Did you ever get your rs232 questions answered? The thread kind of went off on a tangent.

In answer to your first question above, you enter the ip address of the GC100 in your web browser. As long as your pc and your gc100 are on the same subnet (the first 3 numbers in the ip address are the same), the configuration page of the gc100 will open in the web browser. As long as you know the ip address of your gc100, you really don't need the iHelp software to find it, just type it in. iHelp broadcasts a UDP message to everything on the network, and the GC devices are supposed to respond. If your router interferes with the broadcast, iHelp will NOT find the GC devices.

In answer to your second question, you do not need to make custom cables. Like you said, in 99% of cases, only 3 wires are used: pin 2 - transmit, pin 3 - receive, and pin 5 - signal ground. Using these wires, there are 2 types of cables, straight-thru and null-modem, or crossed. In a straight-thru cable pin 2 on connector A is wired to pin 2 on connector B, pin 3 to pin 3, and pin 5 to pin 5. In a null-modem cable, wires 2 and 3 are crossed, so pin 2 on connector A is wired to pin 3 on connector B, and pin 3 on connector A is wired to pin 2 on connector B. Pin 5 is still wired to pin 5. You can google serial cables to find out why this is. You can buy standard straight-thru or null-modem cables. They are very cheap.

You will also have to pay attention to what gender your connectors on your cables need to be. Male connectors have pins, females have sockets. There are also gender changer adapters available.

You can also buy null-modem adapters, which convert a straight-through cable to a null-modem cable. Wires 2 and 3 are crossed in the adapter. Also, a null-modem adapter will change a null-modem cable to a straight-thru cable!

Once you have the right cable, there are several rs232 parameters that need to be set: baud rate, data bits, parity, and stop bits. Theses parameters need to be the same in both pieces in order for them to communicate. Baud rate is the speed, often 9600. You do not need super-hi baud rates, we will only be sending a few characters. Data bits is the number of bits in a byte of data, this can be 7 or 8, but is almost always 8. Parity can be Odd, Even, or None. It is for error correction, and is usually None. Stop bits is the number of bits after a byte of data, and can be 1 or 2. It is normally 1.

You will need to set the rs232 parameters on the gc100 configuration page. They should match the component they will connect to,

Let me know if you have more questions.

Mike

Last edited by ask4mikie; 08-17-2018 at 06:46 PM.
post #11547 of 11691 Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsano1 View Post
I moved from iRule to Home Assistant which is 100 times more functional. It has a little learning curve to setup but once you learn it, it can control your entire house and all its devices. I can ask Alexa / Siri / Google Home to turn on the theater lights or just setup an automation to turn them on when I walk into the room and shut off when the movie starts. The doorbell is hooked up so it will pause the movie if someone is at the door and send a picture of the door to the projector.

https://home-assistant.io/components/#media-player
I also made the same jump to Home Assistant after it became apparent that iRule would not be supporting any of the emerging voice interfaces. Yes, there was a learning curve, but it was no steeper than iRule's. And the sheer amount of flexibility and control is very much worth the time to make the change. About 6 months ago, Ubiquiti hired the guy that founded the open source Home Assistant project, so I expect this platform to benefit from further investment. But who knows...they could as easily decide to shut it down after a year or two if they aren't getting the traction expected.
post #11548 of 11691 Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ios12

Hi
Dies anyone know if the app is working with iOS12?
thanks, Huw
post #11549 of 11691 Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by satmarshall View Post
Hi
Dies anyone know if the app is working with iOS12?
thanks, Huw
Seems to be OK the little I have tested thus far.

_____
Axel

post #11550 of 11691 Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Can anyone help me with my ISY device on irule?

I had all of this setup for years, but today when I went to irule none of the images displayed. I couldn't see where anything was except where I put custom text on a button. Everything was black. I eventually had to uninstall and reinstall the app.

This meant reconfiguring my devices and gateways. I went through and put everything in as I thought it should be, and everything is working except what the ISY controls - lights and subs.

I get the red arrows when I try to use those commands (the icon is green otherwise). The ip address is correct. I just went to it on my phone's browser and turned on my subs.

What else can I be missing? I can't remember all what I did originally. The port I used on the gateway was 80.

Edit: Also, it looks like the feedback for the volume on my receiver stopped working.

UPDATE: Got the ISY working. I needed to put in the username and password. A step I forgot since none of the other gateways need it. Still no luck on the feedback. Not sure why this would change as the device is working properly otherwise.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 11-27-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page