AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Remote Control Area (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/)
-   -   iRule (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/1351981-irule.html)

aag 12-30-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

aag,

Think of it as an itach but only with a single serial output. You would go directly from iRule to the "ethernet to serial converter" using TCPIP. The text you would send would be what you would have sent over the RS232 connection.

I just bought one of the ethernet to serial converters so I can play with it with my system. It is due in on Monday, so by Friday I should have it all figured out (If my ego does not get in the way, and I have some free time).

That's great! In this case, Barry, I will patiently wait until you report whether you get the whole contraption to work effectively and reliably!

I have no experience with ethernet-to-serial, but I tried ethernet-to-USB several times over the past 15 years, and things invariably ended with tears . Hence I am particularly grateful that you go in first!

I am flying over to the West Coast in late January. I will try to have the boards and stuff shipped to my hotel, thus avoiding the immense postal and customs charges levied for shipping to the Alpine Republic where I live. Often, the charges exceed the value of the equipment!

edgemonster 12-30-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbid View Post

So I finally got my first iteration working. Very frustrating, but also very cool.

I have a few screens, and the integration with my Denon AVR3311c is impeccable.

However, I have had a horrid time with the iTach IP2IR. I have it attached to a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD, a Philips DVD, and a Directv satellite box. The iRule app sees the iTach, and I can assign devices, but I have yet to have a device respond to a code from the iphone.

Is there any way to debug thes connections? How do I know whether the codes are wrong versus a cable/connection issue? I can't see infrared so I don't know if transmission is happening.

Thanks in advance!

I would pull irule out of the equation all together. Use the global cache or barry's tools and send raw hex to the itach and see what happens. Ir placement can be frustrating. You may try using the blaster on port 3 if it's emitter placement issue. Check your gateways, it's timing out like Barry posted previously.

barrygordon 12-30-2010 07:53 AM

archbid,

When playing with IR it is a very good idea to invest a few dollars to get an emiter that blinks light in the visible spectrum in addition to IR. It really helps debug silly things. The xantech 283D will do nicely.

I assume you are using an emitter to get the IR to the Aquos or is it a direct connection?

The other tricky part is to get the emitter properly placed over the IR receiver which is sometimes hard to see. I find that a bright flashlight will allow you to see the IR receiver in an easier fashion as it kills some of the opacity of modern case fronts

mborner 12-30-2010 09:49 AM

I've scanned through most of this thread but I found it difficult to find what I'm looking for. I'm curious how iRule handles discrete on/off and input codes. I have several questions.

1. Does iRule include discrete codes in their database?

2. is the iRule database the only place to get codes?

3. Is there any way to modify codes?

4. If the codes for a component aren't available from iRule, is there a way to learn them from the original remote?

iRule looks promising but there are certain aspects of the program that I pretty much need it to do. I'm using a TSU7000 at the moment and I'm hoping that the iPad/iRule are as customizable.

Thanks.

Axel 12-30-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

I've scanned through most of this thread but I found it difficult to find what I'm looking for. I'm curious how iRule handles discrete on/off and input codes. I have several questions.

1. Does iRule include discrete codes in their database? YES, DEPENDING ON THE DEVICE. THEIR DATABASE IS PRETTY BIG AND GET REGULARLY UPDATED.

2. is the iRule database the only place to get codes? NO, YOU CAN ADD THEM INDIVIDUALLY: IR, RS232 OR IP

3. Is there any way to modify codes? ONLY THE ONES YOU ADDED UNDER 2.

4. If the codes for a component aren't available from iRule, is there a way to learn them from the original remote? YES, WITH A IR LEARNER. E.G. THE ITACH COMES WITH A IR LEANER, BUT ANY OTHER CODE LEARNER SHOULD WORK, TOO.

iRule looks promising but there are certain aspects of the program that I pretty much need it to do. I'm using a TSU7000 at the moment and I'm hoping that the iPad/iRule are as customizable.

Thanks.

See my comments in CAPS.
____
Axel

jtara 12-30-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aag View Post

I am flying over to the West Coast in late January. I will try to have the boards and stuff shipped to my hotel, thus avoiding the immense postal and customs charges levied for shipping to the Alpine Republic where I live. Often, the charges exceed the value of the equipment!

Oh. Scratch the Smarthome (Insteon) idea. While they have 240 volt modules (with American plugs and sockets) the products are not designed to work on 50 Hz AC circuits.

Aesculus 12-30-2010 10:20 AM

I followed the two tutorials on MCE and WOL. I first I installed the MCE to my Win 7 machine and modified the HTPC panel to use the device. I tested it with a running HTPC and made sure I could send commands like Green Button and cursor etc. All worked fine.

I then used the WOL tutorial and configured that. With the HTPC off I was able to go to the HTPC panel and the WOL feature fired up the HTPC. The iRule stated it was 'connecting to gateways' and stayed that way for about 45 seconds. Then it responded with a 'Failed to connect to gateways!' message.

I disabled the WOL setting thinking there may be some issue there and tried to use the panel again with the turned on HTPC but now I cannot connect to the HTPC gateway at all. I verified that MCE Controller was active and I saw my former commands that I used before configuring the WOL feature.

So how do I make the WOL feature work with the MCE controller? And how do I get my HTPC gateway working again?

barrygordon 12-30-2010 10:31 AM

WOL is an attribute of the network interface card, the Motherboard and the OS. It has nothing to do with any application. You need to properly configure your NIC, make any settings that are necessary in the Bios of the motherboard and then do anything the OS needs.

One problem is that based on settings and hardware, a WOL may bring the PC up into a state that is not fully operational. It is a complicated subject. In addition WOL may not work at all depending on how the PC was shutdown.

Sorry, but there is no easy path to WOL. I suggest you search the WEB for some WOL utilities that will issue the WOL from another PC and make sure your HTPC comes up fully operational.

mborner 12-30-2010 10:31 AM

Axel, thanks for the info. Could I use my Pronto as an IR learner?

dorky 12-30-2010 10:48 AM

I'm looking to implement itachs in multiple locations, using multiple iphones/ipods running irule for remote control.

Any limitations on having multiple itachs on the same network?

Thanks!

barrygordon 12-30-2010 10:59 AM

Just make sure they each have a different IP address and you will be fine. I have an iTach and a GC 100 with no issues

dorky 12-30-2010 11:14 AM

Excellent! Thanks for your prompt reply!

Glimmie 12-30-2010 11:16 AM

Is the license locked to the PC or is it locked to my google account? I want to be able to work on the builder app on seperate PCs at work and home. Naturally I don't want to buy mulltiple licenses.

archbid 12-30-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

archbid,
Your problem is that iRule is unable to connect to one of your gateways. It keeps trying for about 15 seconds and then gives up.

That is helpful. But I am a bit confused. I only have two gateways: Denon AVR3311ci and iTach IP2IR. Both are connecting, as I am sending commands that the systems are responding to. But the gateway connecting period is still quite long (on the order of 30+ seconds).

Would the iTach balk because of what is plugged into it?

Axel 12-30-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Axel, thanks for the info. Could I use my Pronto as an IR learner?

You will need to capture the commands as raw hex codes so you can import them into the iRule editor. This may work directly or you may need a conversion utility for that. Please note that I never had to do this conversion part. I simply used the iTach learner for the few commands I could not find codes in the iRule database or device manuals.

____
Axel

archbid 12-30-2010 11:29 AM

I am using RS232 control codes for the 3311ci, and they are working fine, but they are all discrete. In some cases, I actually want toggles. Anyone know how to do a Denon power toggle through the IP control?

Axel 12-30-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Is the license locked to the PC or is it locked to my google account? I want to be able to work on the builder app on seperate PCs at work and home. Naturally I don't want to buy mulltiple licenses.

It is tied to your (Gmail) email account.

____
Axel

Glimmie 12-30-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

It is tied to your (Gmail) email account.

____
Axel

thx

jimim 12-30-2010 11:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Directv question:

hi guys. first time setting up a directv box and have a question. we are just going IR with them. which database codes are my best choice. there are so many to pick from. trying to save some guessing work here for when i get to the house to be quick.

the boxes are:

1. H24-100
2. HR20-100S
3. H21-200

also if I end up using the same device for each of the boxes cause the codes will work with multiple boxes I need to import the device multiple time correct? the one device can't be associated with more than one box correct?

thanks again,

thanks alot all!

jimi

Really need some help.

I tried a whole bunch of the database codes today and couldn't get any to work.

I also tried to learn them with ilearn and had no success. I can't even learn the directv buttons. Nothing happens in irule.

Any help on which work. I know tons of u guys use direct

archbid 12-30-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys View Post

The code looks good. I assume you created a new device and are pasting the code into the HEX code group. Please check after pasting the code into the field that there are no additional characters (including a space) after the 02F8.

Itai,
Any chance you could use a Regex to just strip stuff that doesn't work or raise an alert when hex codes are pasted?

Axel 12-30-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

I am using RS232 control codes for the 3311ci, and they are working fine, but they are all discrete. In some cases, I actually want toggles. Anyone know how to do a Denon power toggle through the IP control?

I skimmed through the RS232 manual I have for my 4308 but came up empty. You may be able to find a IR power toggle command, though.

I actually had to go this mixed IR/IP based route because I wanted toggle mute commands for my zones. For some reason those are only available as IR... Now to control my 4308 I have a mix of a handful of IR commands and the rest are all IP based. While not a clean solution it works very well for me.
____
Axel

archbid 12-30-2010 11:44 AM

I used iLearn to pick up the toggle power code from my Sharp Aquos LCD:

0000 006D 0000 0010 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 0045 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 0ED7

I created a new device, then in the Hex Codes section I created a "Toggle Power" action with this hex.

When I press the button associated with the code, the red light glows (from the iTach) but the panel does nothing.

Aesculus 12-30-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

WOL is an attribute of the network interface card, the Motherboard and the OS. It has nothing to do with any application. You need to properly configure your NIC, make any settings that are necessary in the Bios of the motherboard and then do anything the OS needs.

One problem is that based on settings and hardware, a WOL may bring the PC up into a state that is not fully operational. It is a complicated subject. In addition WOL may not work at all depending on how the PC was shutdown.

Sorry, but there is no easy path to WOL. I suggest you search the WEB for some WOL utilities that will issue the WOL from another PC and make sure your HTPC comes up fully operational.

Barry: Thanks for your comments but it was just a glitch in iRules. I had to delete the gateway and reconfigure it and all is OK now. Both WOL and MCE work as expected.

I am seeing intermittent issues with the gateway configuration in iRules. The settings don't always stick. Sometimes I need to restore the gw to get the settings back and sometimes between sessions they change (ie items dissappear).

Axel 12-30-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

I used iLearn to pick up the toggle power code from my Sharp Aquos LCD:

0000 006D 0000 0010 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 0045 000A 0045 000A 001D 000A 0045 000A 0ED7

I created a new device, then in the Hex Codes section I created a "Toggle Power" action with this hex.

When I press the button associated with the code, the red light glows (from the iTach) but the panel does nothing.

Just an idea, sometimes it helps to play with the number of repeats. E.g. I have one device that only works with single commands and not with the quasi standard of 3.
____
Axel

Steve Goff 12-30-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

The license is tied to your Google account, so you can use the builder on any computer with a browser. I use Chrome, which seems to have the least problems with the builder.

RichardU 12-30-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

I suggest you search the WEB for some WOL utilities that will issue the WOL from another PC and make sure your HTPC comes up fully operational.

I use one called mc-wol.exe which can be called in command mode from an Autohotkey script by giving it a parameter which is the MAC address of the computer being called.

I agree that you should make sure WOL works from another PC before you try to tackle it with iRule. If your BIOS and network card are up to the task, you will be able to do WOL with iRule.

RichardU 12-30-2010 01:03 PM

For anyone wanting to control XBMC with iRule:

You can use either the XBMC internal EventServer with a device in the database called XBMC (light), or you can use MCE Controller. I have tried both and have found I can do anything I want with MCE, plus MCE can wake the computer and can start XBMC.

You could use both, but since it takes a moment to connect to either, I am now only using MCE. I did need to modify the device and the command file. I'll be glad to publish either if anyone wants.

barrygordon 12-30-2010 01:40 PM

I have all the code to control XBMC (Dharma) with its Http interface or its JSON interface. I just haven't gotten around to converting it from the Pronto PRO to the iRule system. Should not be a problem. Its just strings of data that you send over the xbmc http port. The JSON interface while it will be better eventually is missing a lot of basic things (like sendkey) that the http interface has for basic control. Turns out you need very little in the way of two way feedback with xbmc; it was designed to put the stuff on the screen. I am doing all of the control through TCP directly to XBMC with nothing in the middle. I am using XBMC live running on ubuntu as the underlying OS.

Right now I am a little busy converting all my movies to MKV files (Automated process) and plan to look at the XBMC issue and finish my theater control system in iRule next week.

kd_cooke 12-30-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Barry, I sent the Yamaha protocol documents to you a week ago when you first asked. It's a real pity that email seems to be getting less and less reliable these days, with spam filters and sometimes even entire domains being blacklisted. Maybe it got marked as spam, but I see that the file is not too big to post here so I've attached it.

It describes the new TCP and RS-232 protocol for the x67 and RX-A series Yamaha receivers. Last year's x65 models (and the older RX-Z7 and RX-V3900) used a more complex protocol via HTTP commands, and the new one is definitely easier to use (although I think the previous one is still supported too). This is the first time Yamaha have used the exact same commands for both network or serial control, and the network commands are now just strings sent to a TCP port. The documentation is quite well organized, just open the index.html file and everything is linked from there. There's also an extra folder with IR codes.

Sorry if this has been asked... Is these some easy way (or tutorial) outlining how to get these Yamaha codes into iBuilder?

edgemonster 12-30-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

I have all the code to control XBMC (Dharma) with its Http interface or its JSON interface. I just haven't gotten around to converting it from the Pronto PRO to the iRule system. Should not be a problem. Its just strings of data that you send over the xbmc http port. The JSON interface while it will be better eventually is missing a lot of basic things (like sendkey) that the http interface has for basic control. Turns out you need very little in the way of two way feedback with xbmc; it was designed to put the stuff on the screen. I am doing all of the control through TCP directly to XBMC with nothing in the middle. I am using XBMC live running on ubuntu as the underlying OS.

Right now I am a little busy converting all my movies to MKV files (Automated process) and plan to look at the XBMC issue and finish my theater control system in iRule next week.

Took me 2 weeks to convert everything to MKV when I went to plex 9. Time consuming but I can stream 720p anywhere in the house to the iPad and load times are super fast. Well worth the work. Now if I can just get full control with metadata displayed I will be a happy camper.

barrygordon 12-30-2010 03:16 PM

My collection is about 500 titles. The mkv's are taking on the average 15 minutes apiece to convert and clean up the folder. I just let it run 24/7 minimized as it records any issues.

By the way the TCPIP explorer on my web site does have the files for xbmc dharma

SJHT 12-30-2010 10:11 PM

OK, I'm in on trying this out. We have a very extensive Pronto setup in our home (9800, 9600, 9400s and several Pronto extenders in several rooms included our dedicated HT). Purchased the application/license and one Global Chache extender and will try out in out family room setup (in parallel with our Pronto). Should be interesting. Lots of Apple devices in our family. Interesting as my son asked me he other day why he couldn't control our setup with his phone..... SJ

ckloss 12-31-2010 12:48 AM

Quick question:

Is it possible to download the source file for a device from the builder to my local computer?

There is currently a "Zone2" network file in the device list for my Onkyo receiver, but there is no Zone3 file. It should be easy for me to modify the Zone2 file to be Zone3, but I need the source file...

Thanks,
--Carey

mborner 12-31-2010 04:57 AM

I have all the codes for all of my components in hex format in PPENG. Is there any way to use those codes in any way, shape, or form, in iRule?

RichardU 12-31-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Right now I am a little busy converting all my movies to MKV files (Automated process)

That's cool. What are you using to create MKV files?

absolootbs 12-31-2010 08:41 AM

Itai, any chance we could get blank images for the large odd shaped volume buttons that are in the "common" library? i don't see them anywhere on the downloads page of the website.

lloydus 12-31-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Google account

mborner 12-31-2010 11:13 AM

Does anyone know how iRule compares with Crestron Mobil Pro G?

ArieS1204 12-31-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

That's cool. What are you using to create MKV files?

I'm not Barry but MakeMKV is a great one.

kd_cooke 12-31-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Do you know if the raw TCP interface supports more than one connection at a time? Many recent devices with direct TCP control only seem to support a single connection. The new Yamahas then disconnnect automatically after an idle period, to prevent one TCP client hogging it. This won't be great with iRule currently, because it doesn't just quietly reconnect when it needs to.

Wow... Is this a showstopper for IP control of my Yamaha RX-A1000 via iRule? Has anyone set this up/tested? And if so, what is the TCP port?

kd_cooke 12-31-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

I can see how the immediate automatic reconnection would useful in some cases. On the other hand it seems some manufacturers (such as Yamaha with their current RX-A series) are deliberately closing the connection after it's been idle for a while, and you could take advantage of that to allow some kind of sharing without asking the user to buy extra hardware.

BTW I have the network command protocol for the new Yamaha receivers and I can post it if anyone needs it. It's something new to the x67 and A series, and simpler than they used on their earlier network receivers.

Do you also have the TCP port for the RX-A series?

kriktsemaj99 12-31-2010 04:16 PM

I posted the Yamaha x67 and A-series docs here. The default TCP port number is 50000.

kd_cooke 12-31-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

i posted the yamaha x67 and a-series docs here. The default tcp port number is 50000.

thank you

Shaunwilliam 12-31-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post

thank you

Hi anyone know how far the ir immiters can be placed from the source

RichardU 01-01-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunwilliam View Post

Hi anyone know how far the ir immiters can be placed from the source

From Global Cache:

"Yes, our iTach units will support multiple split emitters. We recommend that when using split emitters, that they be of the non-blinking variety, as this will vastly increase the power used to send the command, and will therefore help to ensure signal integrity. Our hardware supports any standard mono-jack type emitter such as Xantech or similar. If you are intending to extend your emitter cables, we recommend splicing into CAT5 or the like so that you can run the extra length. You should have no problem transmitting commands up over 100 feet. Please let us know if you have any further questions, or run into any problems during installation."

jmcgill 01-01-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know how iRule compares with Crestron Mobil Pro G?

I have some experience to share with you. My home automation system is about 5 years old and includes a Crestron CP2E, PAD8 and PVID8 for theater control and whole house audio. An HAI OmniPro II does security, lights thermostats.

A couple of months ago, I contacted my original installer about some minor upgrades. He is no longer a Crestron dealer and told me to checkout iRule, which I did. His proposal was to replace the crestron equipment with shinybow audio and video matrix switches and to go with an iRule on ipads.

I did purchase the irule licence and played around with it a lot, especially my Directv and Roku devices, which are ip controllable.

In the end, I found a Crestron programmer, who made some changes to my setup and got me rolling on the Crestron Mobile program. I didn't want to just throw away all that I had invested.

There are actually 4 Crestron idevice products, Mobile, Mobile G, Mobile Pro and Mobile G Pro. The Pro programs are $99 and the others are free. My programmer told me to just get the free version. Mobile G and Mobile G Pro are for the Ipad only, while Mobile and Mobile Pro will work on the iphone, ipod touch and ipad.

My programmer also said that the CP2e only has enough memory to serve up about 10 pages to the iphone, so I could not get all the same pages that I have on my TPMC-8x's (the crestron touchpad remotes). The Crestron Pro II processor has more memory, so if you have that processor, you can get more pages onto your iPad.

So if you have a setup like mine and you want an extra remote, you could get an ipad for around $500 and pay a couple hundred to a programmer and have a partial solution. Or you can now get a new TPMC-8x for about $700 on ebay, pay a programmer to hook it up and get a complete new remote. Of course with the ipad, you can do all kinds of other stuff besides just control your home. The ipad's batterys probably last a lot longer, too.

With iRule you would be moving to a more "open" platform where there is much less vendor lockin. It is more of a DIY system, although I am sure there are or will be professional installers. Irule is currently one-way control, although 2 way control is in beta testing. Irule does not currently support my HAI Omnipro II system, but they told me that they will in the future.

If you are looking for a new system, I would definitely skip Crestron, AMX, elan, etc. The trend is certainly towards more open systems. If you are reluctant to give up an existing Crestron, the mobile products can be part of the solution.

Another option is a product called Command Fusion. This is similar to iRule but is more expensive and you are supposed to use a professional designer and installer. CF, like iRule can use the Global Cache iTach devices to do IP to serial/IR. CF has 2 way communication and has modules for Crestron and AMX. According to their website, you can get a lot more pages of control on your iPad compared to the Crestron Mobile because of the way their technology works. Crestron "serves" the pages from the controller, while commandfussion pages are are stored on you ipad and only the button press command is transmitted. So you can get many more pages and much better graphics. I didn't go this route, because my Crestron installer has never used CF and I didn't want to pay him to learn this new program.

barrygordon 01-01-2011 10:05 AM

I am using MakeMKV to do the work. I wrote a program that scans through the NAS looking for movies. When it finds one it determines if it is BR or DVD (Since I ripped to iso format, the BR movies have a BDMV folder and the DVD movie's have a Video_TS.ifo file)

The NAS is orgainized with a Share named Movies, and each movie is in a share's subfolder named with the title of the movie. The program, after having MakeMKV convert the movie file erases all the other stuff since I never use it. If MakeMKV makes multiple movie files (This happens if there are multiple angles in the original DVD file) I only keep the first one and none of the others.

What I end up with are four files in the movie folder. The Movie_Title.mkv file, a movie.nof file, a folder.jpg file and a fanart.jpg file. The last three files are for XBMC.

Hope that explains it. If you want a copy of the program let me know, but you will need to tell me how your NAS is organized and what algorithm the NAS uses for selecting the disk to write the file if it is of concern to you.

Steve Goff 01-01-2011 11:54 AM

At the request of some folks I've added to my brass source buttons; you can now find buttons for Dune, Pandora, and Sage TV.

Steve Goff 01-01-2011 01:11 PM

I've made and shared a new iPad background. Please disregard the source buttons, which represent an experiment gone awry:

RichardU 01-01-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Hope that explains it. If you want a copy of the program let me know, but you will need to tell me how your NAS is organized and what algorithm the NAS uses for selecting the disk to write the file if it is of concern to you.

Thanks. Since I haven't ripped my disks yet, I'll just run MakeMKV straight from the drive. But I'm curious what you used to write your program.

BruceH5200 01-01-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

If MakeMKV makes multiple movie files (This happens if there are multiple angles in the original DVD file) I only keep the first one and none of the others.

Just curiosity, but how do you know the "1st" movie file is the right one?
When I ripping BluRay straight from disc, I tend to go for the largest file.
Also, are you talking all the audio streams and all the subtitles, as again it's always a slight guess as to which of the English soundtracks to take.

Cheers,

barrygordon 01-01-2011 02:01 PM

We are getting slightly OT but most of us are interested in Home theater. I use VB 6 to do all my programming as I am an old dog and not willing to learn to many new tricks.

I had already ripped them selecting the largest file which 99% of the time is the one I want. I only rip forced subtitles, and always the soundtrack at the highest quality in English only.

I am just correcting an original decision not to use MKV. I will be using MKkeMKV for all future rips directy from the disk.

MakerMKV will take the ripped movie and convert it to MKV. However if the movie has multiple angles it rips each angle as a new MKV file. From what I understand the first one it rips is the default (theatrical) angle.

Steve Goff 01-01-2011 03:53 PM

Someone asked for an iPad layout with two sets of cursor controls. Here is my first take on such a background, which I have shared. Again, please disregard the source buttons.

Steve Goff 01-01-2011 05:13 PM

Another version:

Glimmie 01-01-2011 07:07 PM

It says you need to hold the L key down before releasing the mouse to make a button into a link. This does not work for me. When I hold down the L while sliding a source button, it changes to dispay "link" inside the button. But the mouse then freezes while the L key is being held down. If I release the L key, it reverts back to a button and sticks where I left it.

ANy ideas? Browser if Mozilla latest version.

Steve Goff 01-01-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

It says you need to hold the L key down before releasing the mouse to make a button into a link. This does not work for me. When I hold down the L while sliding a source button, it changes to dispay "link" inside the button. But the mouse then freezes while the L key is being held down. If I release the L key, it reverts back to a button and sticks where I left it.

ANy ideas? Browser if Mozilla latest version.

I wouldn't use Firefox, because of this known problem. As I mentioned before, use Chrome.

Aesculus 01-01-2011 08:05 PM

After reviewing all the tutorials, FAQs and forum entries I have two questions:
  • Why are there commands on labels and how do these work and why are they needed instead of buttons?
  • What is the purpose of the shared attribute for a panel?

Aesculus 01-01-2011 08:34 PM

Can the Panels button in the header be hidden? I would prefer my users not having the panel navigation button and only use my UI to move between panels.

RichardU 01-01-2011 08:41 PM

Here's a related but OT question.

I'm having so much fun with the iTachs I'd like to be able to send them a command from my computer (outside of iRule). Does anyone know of a little utility that will send an IP command to an iTach? Ultimately I'd like to set it up as a link from my home page.

Aesculus 01-01-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Here's a related but OT question.

I'm having so much fun with the iTachs I'd like to be able to send them a command from my computer (outside of iRule). Does anyone know of a little utility that will send an IP command to an iTach? Ultimately I'd like to set it up as a link from my home page.

It comes with an Test.exe program.

barrygordon 01-02-2011 06:35 AM

Sometimes you just want a piece of text that can be touched and cause an action as opposed to something with an icon. Think of a list of songs (playlist), although at this time iRule needs a lot more capability to dynamically make playlists

RichardU 01-02-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

It comes with an Test.exe program.

I need something that will execute automatically with parameters. Interestingly, I don't see how to direct iTest.exe to output on a specific port.

barrygordon 01-02-2011 09:53 AM

I think you will have to code your own. If you are a programmer (able to code in one of the major languages that supports sockets) it is fairly trivial.

Steve Goff 01-02-2011 10:04 AM

I've uploaded new backgrounds, including this one:

d-one 01-02-2011 10:55 AM

That sounds perfect. I want to control plex with irule using ip.

I've never controlled anything using ip before.

Would you be willing to tell me how to set it up?

Regards

Darren

Aesculus 01-02-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Sometimes you just want a piece of text that can be touched and cause anaction as opposed to something with an icon. Think of a list of songs (playlist), although at this time iRule needs a lot more capability to dynsmaically make playlists

So its basically a button without an image?

Seems they could have just made a button have both text and an image and either being optional. From your VB background you would be used to that :-)

RichardU 01-02-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

I think you will have to code your own. If you are a programmer (able to code in one of the major languages that supports sockets) it is fairly trivial.

I am a recovering programmer and do not recognize this term "trivial." Right now I'd be happy for a brief tutorial of how to connect to the iTach with telnet.

Aesculus 01-02-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

I am a recovering programmer and do not recognize this term "trivial." Right now I'd be happy for a brief tutorial of how to connect to the iTach with telnet.

I must be missing something.

With the itest.exe app you can test your connection to each output and the stream of content. So you know the iTach is working and the commands are getting to their destination. With this you can also test if your device reponds appropriately.

After this is done then you configure the gateway in iRules with the iTach, IP and port, assign the same command via the device and load it on a panel. Then test that panel in your iTouch device.

You have it all.

Glimmie 01-02-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

I wouldn't use Firefox, because of this known problem. As I mentioned before, use Chrome.

I tried Google Chrome and it crashes causing a complete Windows restart the moment it's launched. I also upgraded to SP3 which made no difference.

How about Safarie?

I think it's a bit strange that Irule Builder doesn't work on the two most popular browers in existance, IE8 and Firefox.

Do I need a MAC?

barrygordon 01-02-2011 12:46 PM

RichardU

The itach manuals and API discussion tell you what port to talk to using raw tcpip. IIRC it is 4999. A normal telnet client may want to do the telnet handshake. I am pretty sure putty will allow you to send raw TCP to any port. I do not know what the itach will do with the telnet logon/password stuff; it might ignore it. The IRGen program on my web site will allow you to exercise the iTach but I do not think that is all you want.

RichardU 01-02-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

I must be missing something.

With the itest.exe app you can test your connection to each output and the stream of content.

I'm sure I am missing something. With iTest after I'm connected all I can do is enter something into the line Command String and then click on either Literal, Hex, or Mixed. How exactly do you tell iTest that you want to send to a specific output?

Even though I can't get much out of iTest, I do have the iTach working on half a dozen devices with hundreds of commands.

barrygordon 01-02-2011 01:24 PM

You need to read the API documents at the Global Cache site. The string that is sent to the itach must contain the port number of the iTach that is to be used. It also needs the Ir base frequency, the timing information (on off times) and and an id which just a integer to sort out replies.

Every man has the will to know and the wit to learn but the key to knowledge is the open book.

RichardU 01-02-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

...the key to knowledge is the open book.

Agreed, although some books mislead and others deceive.

Every command I try to send in iTest results in ERR_0:0,016. (no carriage return). The program does not allow me to enter a carriage return. The word "carriage" occurs exactly five times in the API Specification, three of them in error codes. No where does it specify how to enter carriage returns. I have tried dozens of ways to enter carriage returns in both hex and raw ascii code. Any hints?

barrygordon 01-02-2011 02:16 PM

I have not looked at iTest, so I am of little assistance there. Have you tried the old standard of \\x0d or \\x0D? The IRGen program on my web site, www.the-gordons.net, will properly send strings to the iTach. It also allows you to build files of what to send, but that is a fairly complex matter

kriktsemaj99 01-02-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Every command I try to send in iTest results in ERR_0:0,016. (no carriage return). The program does not allow me to enter a carriage return. The word "carriage" occurs exactly five times in the API Specification, three of them in error codes. No where does it specify how to enter carriage returns. I have tried dozens of ways to enter carriage returns in both hex and raw ascii code. Any hints?

Windows Telnet will send carriage return (\\x0D) when you hit enter, or if you want you can have it send both carriage return and linefeed (\\x0D\\x0A). It's not so good if you need non-printing characters in the commands themselves, but for devices that use simple ASCII strings and end with carriage return it works fine.

Aesculus 01-02-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

I'm sure I am missing something. With iTest after I'm connected all I can do is enter something into the line Command String and then click on either Literal, Hex, or Mixed. How exactly do you tell iTest that you want to send to a specific output?

Even though I can't get much out of iTest, I do have the iTach working on half a dozen devices with hundreds of commands.

I agree that once you have the gateway connected its almost easier to create test objects in iRules via buttons etc and see what happens.

Not much info on their website. I have the IP2IR model and so I use the 4998 port option.

iTest-ReadMe.txt13 October 2010Josh ShermanGlobal Cachéhttp://www.globalcache.comiTest is the new utility used to verify Global Caché hardware function, test IR codes and other operations. When run for the first time, your security software may present a dialog box asking if you want to allow iTest to perform network communications. For proper function select Allow" and make permanent if possible. iTest allows for connection to any Global Caché TCP network port, including ports 4998, 4999 and 5000. After specifying an IP address, choose the correct network port as needed and press connect.iTest contains three seperate send functions: Literal, Hex and Mixed. When sending literal strings, all characters input into the text field will be sent without any interpretation or additions to the string. When sending hex, strings can be oriented as hex bytes (2 characters 0-f) with, or without spaces between. What will be sent is the series of hex bytes represented by your string. When sending mixed, normal characters will be sent without translation, while any hex byte (2 characters 0-f) to be sent must be prefaced with a vertical bar "|". Inputting two vertical bars in sequence "||" will send a single vertical bar "|".http://globalcache.zendesk.com/entri...786-ip2ir-help

RichardU 01-02-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

I agree that once you have the gateway connected its almost easier to create test objects in iRules via buttons etc and see what happens.

Could you be more specific about what exactly you type into the Command String line to get a response from iTach? For example, if I type getdevices with or without \\x0d, \\x0D, \\x0D\\x0A, etc, I get ERR_0:0,016. The iTest program is connected and the iTach is working to control devices on all three channels.

RichardU 01-02-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

I have not looked at iTest, so I am of little assistance there. Have you tried the old standard of \\x0d or \\x0D?

I tried those and a few others. Thanks.

Martijn 01-02-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

I tried those and a few others. Thanks.

To send a carriage return with iTest, you need to add |0D to the command and use the button 'Mixed' to send the command.

barrygordon 01-02-2011 04:18 PM

Ahhh someone has read the manual Shame Shame (;-).

iTest sounds a little wacky. If the iTach needs a CR after every command then iTest should add it!! Just my 2 cents

RichardU 01-02-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn View Post

To send a carriage return with iTest, you need to add |0D to the command and use the button 'Mixed' to send the command.

Thank you. This is not in the iTach manual, and while I can see how it could be inferred from the two paragraph description of iTest, it would be nice if something so basic were explicitly stated.

Martijn 01-02-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Ahhh someone has read the manual Shame Shame (;-).

iTest sounds a little wacky. If the iTach needs a CR after every command then iTest should add it!! Just my 2 cents

I did no find it in a manual...
As I am working on the Mac OS X versions of iLearn, iHelp, iTest and iConvert (currently in private beta testing, see http://www.rmartijnr.eu/), I did just that; add a CR if none is provided by the user

Quote:

Thank you. This is not in the iTach manual, and while I can see how it could be inferred from the two paragraph description of iTest, it would be nice if something so basic were explicitly stated.

I agree, when I first tried the Windows version of iTest, I had the same problem...
It would have been nice if iTest would add a CR automatically if needed.

snodric 01-02-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

I tried Google Chrome and it crashes causing a complete Windows restart the moment it's launched. I also upgraded to SP3 which made no difference.

How about Safarie?

I think it's a bit strange that Irule Builder doesn't work on the two most popular browers in existance, IE8 and Firefox.

Do I need a MAC?

It is a bit 'finicky' but if you persist, you should be able to create a link even when using Firefox browser. I had the same difficulty and found that if you release the 'L' key very quickly, right after dropping the button onto the page where you want the button, you should be able to make the link 'stick'.

Steve Goff 01-02-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

It is a bit 'finicky' but if you persist, you should be able to create a link even when using Firefox browser. I had the same difficulty and found that if you release the 'L' key very quickly, right after dropping the button onto the page where you want the button, you should be able to make the link 'stick'.

Hmmm. I've never had a problem with Chrome, and use it daily with the builder.

snodric 01-02-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

My comments on it being a bit 'finicky' were with respect to Firefox, not Chrome.

barrygordon 01-02-2011 05:47 PM

Richard, Glad you finally got it working

Glimmie 01-02-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

It seems it's a hardware compatability problem with my PC. Chrome works fine on another PC.

I'll keep plugging away

Aesculus 01-02-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

Here is a place were lefty's have it over righty's. I find it difficult to move the cursor with my right hand on a notebook and then reach over and behind to hit the L key :-(

James A. McGahee 01-02-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

It seems it's a hardware compatability problem with my PC. Chrome works fine on another PC.

I'll keep plugging away

FYI, me and many others have had problems with Chrome. I had it, didn't use it that much, uninstalled it and later reinstalled it. For a long time I was unable to get active links in email to work (wouldn't go to internet). After a lot of time and effort I found a guy with Microsoft who explained the reason my my Microsoft Office Outlook email was not functioning correctly was: When Chrome is uninstalled (or re-installed, can't remember which) it disables your email URL links. As I said, just FYI.

RichardU 01-02-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I found a guy with Microsoft who explained the reason my my Microsoft Office Outlook email was not functioning correctly was: When Chrome is uninstalled (or re-installed, can't remember which) it disables your email URL links. As I said, just FYI.

Perfect reason to dump Outlook and move to Thunderbird. I did, and I'm happy every time I think about it.

RichardU 01-02-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Richard, Glad you finally got it working

Thanks. You were right, though, that it doesn't really address the problem -- I still want an easy way to send commands to the iTach from a web page.

I think ultimately, all remote control programs like iRule will need to have a web component. If I'm sitting at my computer (which is often) and want to control something in my house, it's a lot easier to pull up a web page than to: grab my iPhone, turn it on, hit the slider, click on iRule, wait because the last page I left was linked to a computer that is no longer on and it's trying to connect to a gateway that doesn't exist, exit iRule, shut down iRule, start it back up so it starts in the right screen, scroll through a few pages to find my command, and hit it.

archbid 01-03-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

archbid,

When playing with IR it is a very good idea to invest a few dollars to get an emiter that blinks light in the visible spectrum in addition to IR. It really helps debug silly things. The xantech 283D will do nicely.

I assume you are using an emitter to get the IR to the Aquos or is it a direct connection?

The other tricky part is to get the emitter properly placed over the IR receiver which is sometimes hard to see. I find that a bright flashlight will allow you to see the IR receiver in an easier fashion as it kills some of the opacity of modern case fronts

Got the Aquos working, though there are odd situations with the sequencing of commands when sending commands to multiple devices. I ended up using the codes for another Aquos LCD that was in the devices list.

Now I just have to figure out how to get Directv working and why my entrances commands don't fire...

mborner 01-03-2011 04:12 AM

Is there a definitive, detailed user's guide for iRule?

mflanagan 01-03-2011 05:45 AM

Has anyone been able to create a small track-pad on a page in iRule? I want to be able to use it on any page with my HTPC without having to switch out of iRule to another app to use a mouse.

Thx
Flan

SeldomSeen31 01-03-2011 09:26 AM

Poste this a couple other places on AVS but thought I would try here since I know many of you use the PS3 and do av distribution. I am also active in this thread so maybe will get a bit more response that I have elsewhere. I use irule to control everything currently, includin the PS3.

Trying to send ps3 video and audio to 2 TVs:

I have my PS3 in the basement, attached via HDMI to a Denon 1908 receiver and then to a my Sony KD60-3000A TV. I have an old pioneer av receiver in the basement feeding stereo speakers in my living room for playing itunes from my pc and a cd player. Bluetooth is not an issue, I can get the signal in the living room to the ps3 in the basement.

I ordered the 1x2 pro hdmi splitter from monoprice. What is the best way to get the signal from the PS3 to my LG 1080p TV in the living room? I'd like to keep 7.1 available in the basement, but would go to 5.1 if needed. Should I:

PS3 --> Splitter and then to Denon and LG TV
PS3 --> denon --> splitter and on to both tvs
Or?

Sound is the other issue. I can turn multiout on in the PS3 options, split the hdmi signal before the AVR, send the analog audio to the pioneer and then to the speakers in the living room.

the PS3 will never be used in both rooms at the same time.

jtara 01-03-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks. You were right, though, that it doesn't really address the problem -- I still want an easy way to send commands to the iTach from a web page.

I think ultimately, all remote control programs like iRule will need to have a web component. If I'm sitting at my computer (which is often) and want to control something in my house, it's a lot easier to pull up a web page than to: grab my iPhone, turn it on, hit the slider, click on iRule, wait because the last page I left was linked to a computer that is no longer on and it's trying to connect to a gateway that doesn't exist, exit iRule, shut down iRule, start it back up so it starts in the right screen, scroll through a few pages to find my command, and hit it.

What you are really arguing for is a centralized server within the home talks to the iTach (and other gateways) and can be controlled either through a web interface or from a remote on a mobile device. Such a server might run on your existing (always-on) PC, or a dedicated PC or embedded device. (Lots of cheap Linux solutions, including re-purposing cheap routers.) This is been discussed here before, and does seem the optimal solution, but I think you'll have to look for that solution elsewhere, as the developers seem rather intractable on this (as well as other issues).

It really isn't possible for "a web page" to do what you are asking. It has to be some kind of software - whether server-side or client-side. You could possibly do it in Javascript, but in that case the client is actually doing it and you are not going to solve any issues of multiple clients, as you will still have multiple clients. Otherwise, you need to use server-side scripting.

Such a server doesn't "automatically" deal with issues of multiple clients. Yes, you would only have one client accessing the gateways, but then you still have to deal with the logic of what to do when multiple clients make conflicting or competing requests. This really needs to be thought out throughly for EACH gateway and EACH piece of equipment, given knowledge of how the equipment reacts to commands, the effect of "interleaving" commands, etc.

barrygordon 01-03-2011 10:52 AM

Jtara is absolutely correct. I have been doing this (home Theater / Home Automation) for quite some time (25+ years) having started with a Kloss Novabeam. Sooner or later you come to the realization that you need a centralized control point with enough flexibility and power to do the things you want. Crestron came to that conclusion very early in the game as did Phast, AMX, and lastly Savant. There is one open source group going down that path using android based system as the handheld, but involving a central control point.

The Pronto PRO came pretty close to operating without a central control point when it was dedicated to a single major function like the home theater. It got a little less perfect when you had multiple Pronto's and multiple control paradigms (HT vs HA). Being a major pronto user I went for the Central control point as I already had it.

The advantages of a central control point are many fold. First of all they are inexpensive (Now that is, $500 gets you a very good one). They allow you to migrate the handlheld and its GUI very quickly. I was able to completely port my system from the Pronto to the iRule model in about a week with 90% of the time spent on graphics and layout. Any Pronto in the house and any iPad or iPod can control the theater at any time with no conflicts. I am a widower so there are no surfing wars. I do not require extensive two way, since the theater has its own auxiliary status display managed by the control device, and each room has its own in wall touch screen. I also use audio a lot for status out of the HA system. For example you can ask the HA system the weather (from the iPad) and have it spoken in the room you are in, or over the whole house.

I am sure the iRule model will get beter and more robust. The issue with 2-way will come down sooner or later to programability. There are just too many manufacturers doing their own thing with no standards being setup, let alone ascribed to.

The major disadvantage to the central control point is that you need the ability to Program, not design graphics, not do web things, but to actually write code in a programming language like VB or C++ or Javascript. Once you can do that the world is your oyster and you just need to fetch the pearls.

archbid 01-03-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Jtara is absolutely correct. I have been doing this (home Theater / Home Automation) for quite some time (25+ years) having started with a Kloss Novabeam. Sooner or later you come to the realization that you need a centralized control point with enough flexibility and power to do the things you want. Crestron came to that conclusion very early in the game as did Phast, AMX, and lastly Savant. There is one open source group going down that path using android based system as the handheld, but involving a central control point.

I can totally understand your point, but I wanted to speak from the opposite viewpoint. I have never been involved with AV Control until this project. I am a former software engineer and run software companies now. I can state unequivocally that the number one goal now must be radically simplifying this process.

I am very technical, I joined the Crestron group on Yahoo, read much of RemoteCentral, and followed this forum. I bought any new gear with the specific requirement of IP connectibility, installed an iTach IP2IR, and dedicated myself to getting iRule to work.

I am excited, but let there be no mistake that the view from here is grim. The manufacturer's have created a world based on completely unreliable or erratically implemented technologies like IR that require a Masters in patience and brute force to get working.

Worse, one high end audio/video installer in my area pushes the gear of companies that seem to be indifferent to the struggles of getting home entertainment to work and actively mocked me for buying Denon, the only component that actually worked well!

I started this project because I was building out a HT/whole-house wiring project and I had never been to a house where the wife could operate the HT system. I knew that I could spend tens of thousands on Crestron, etc., but I was not that satisfied with those systems in the end.

The major issue is that the suppliers of equipment have adopted an approach that hidden, non-standard control codes and inputs are a strategic benefit. I cannot discern whether it comes from ignorance, apathy, or outright scorn for their customers, but I know that any piece of equipment that I would buy would be more valuable if my family could turn it on than if it had marginally better amps or signal processing.

I believe that the installer community is enabling this and I would suggest based on my experience as a consumer that this community of enthusiasts and installers make a hard line against any manufacturer that does not commit to open codes, IP (and serial for the old guys...), and testing in a consumer environment.

The basic standard is that a device should be able to be added to wired control system and controllable within ten minutes. If Denon can do it, they all can do it. Sonos has the higher satisfaction among the people I know than the iPhone! As a community of educated consumers and installers, we should make our decisions with integration as a primary consideration.

Make no mistake, it was easier to set up a Racal Vadic Modem to connect to DJNRS from an IBM 3101 in 1976 as an eight year old than it has been for me to get my Philips DVD player to reliably respond to an IR power toggle request in 2010.

That is totally unacceptable. It is time to make it known. No more purchases from suppliers without published codes and proven direct wire integration.

bwade913 01-03-2011 12:18 PM

Newbie here. After waiting in vain for Bobby Remote to support the iTach, I've spent the last few days porting to iRule. The IP and RS-232 support is a nice bonus. Nice work. I had forgotten that my DirecTV receiver even had an ethernet port and you are helping Denon to sell me a new amplifier some time soon.

My number one enhancement request would be the ability to define "global macros" that could then be nested in the entrance macros or button macros. For example, I need to set my AV amplifier music mode in multiple places. It would be nice to do that once in a macro and reuse it where needed.

I am in the early stages of planning a whole house system based around iRule, a Denon AV amplifier and Sonos using iPad controllers throughout the house. I'll second the requests to call the Sonos app from iRule.

Glimmie 01-03-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

FYI, me and many others have had problems with Chrome. I had it, didn't use it that much, uninstalled it and later reinstalled it. For a long time I was unable to get active links in email to work (wouldn't go to internet). After a lot of time and effort I found a guy with Microsoft who explained the reason my my Microsoft Office Outlook email was not functioning correctly was: When Chrome is uninstalled (or re-installed, can't remember which) it disables your email URL links. As I said, just FYI.

So what are you using as a browser for I-Rule Builder?

I just want something that works so I can get down to building my app. With the I-Pad, Itach, and assorted accessories I have about a grand invested in hobby project this to date. I don't care who makes it, just want a reliable browser for I-Rule. Plus you can have as many browers as youwant and use them as needed for different apps.