post #1861 of 2430 Old 11-23-2015, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Simply not true.
There is no annual subscription with iRule. Basic license ($50) gets you 15 devices included with no subscription. The pro license ($100) gets you 25 devices included. If you run into issues where you need more devices than that, you can purchase extra devices. You never have to pay any kind of annual subscription. I've been using iRule for 5 years and have been very pleased with it and the support offered by the company. It's not for everyone but if you're one to customize your remote to no end then iRule might be the one for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
He was referring to the Simple Control (aka Roomie Remote) pricing model.
Correct FlyingDiver, I was talking about the Simple Control model. mborner, I like that it can be customized to my liking, which is also my hang up, I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on a final design(which will drive my wife crazy).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2430 Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgfy6 View Post
mborner, I like that it can be customized to my liking, which is also my hang up, I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on a final design(which will drive my wife crazy).
This is definitely true. I've been at it for a couple weeks now with iRule and have tweaked my layout to how I like it and already thinking of changing themes! Thanks to mborner for sharing his blue and cool blue themes, I may have the ammunition to do so
post #1863 of 2430 Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The two products are not serving the same market anymore. They were more comparable many years ago, but iRule went one way and Roomie went the other. iRule is for when you need 100% control over a dedicated tablet where you want every single button in a specific position, like a board room. Think of it like a web page where you start blank. Better to think of iRule as not really an app, more like a website. They are never updated for new OS features like iPad Pro, it's the kind of app that is updated a year or more late for basic OS changes – because end users just are not their market. Roomie is the opposite, very focused on the end user, very DIY friendly, updated for things like Apple Watch and iPad Multitasking the moment they're available, network control of countless things iRule doesn't even support, and normal configurations are very quick to setup. The two apps just are not really comparable, they each have their own markets and you can see from the features they've each added over the years how they're just unrelated now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 2430 Old 11-26-2015, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post
The two products are not serving the same market anymore. They were more comparable many years ago, but iRule went one way and Roomie went the other. iRule is for when you need 100% control over a dedicated tablet where you want every single button in a specific position, like a board room. Think of it like a web page where you start blank. Better to think of iRule as not really an app, more like a website. They are never updated for new OS features like iPad Pro, it's the kind of app that is updated a year or more late for basic OS changes – because end users just are not their market. Roomie is the opposite, very focused on the end user, very DIY friendly, updated for things like Apple Watch and iPad Multitasking the moment they're available, network control of countless things iRule doesn't even support, and normal configurations are very quick to setup. The two apps just are not really comparable, they each have their own markets and you can see from the features they've each added over the years how they're just unrelated now.
This is definitely true. The nice thing with Roomie is you can have a functioning setup in under an hour as it's easy to use and default setups well thought out. I have both iRule and Roomie on my iPhone using iTach gateways and they both work well once setup. iRule does give you better overall control and is a tweakers paradise, but takes time and certain kind of person. iRule also has an Android and Fire OS app which opens up more devices for use; this was an important factor for me as I felt the iPad Mini was too large and now use an Amazon 6" tablet.

Last edited by rnatalli; 11-26-2015 at 05:02 AM.
post #1865 of 2430 Old 11-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I set up my system using iRule and must have spent 160 or more hours with formatting design, creating images etc etc. In the end I had something workable for a two room set up with about 7 devices and 10 total activities. But the time it took and the kind of mundane tasks I was doing were a nightmare. At that time my avr was only IR controllable so I had no feedback. When I decided to upgrade my avr I decided to go totally IP control and at that time I tried out Roomie Remote (now called Simple Control) which was a godsend. Admittedly I have less choice about how UI now but it took be about 4 hours to replicate what I had before and I would never switch back to iRule. I still tweak Simple Control on a fairly regular basis when I add new equipment or the wife wants a very specific activity but it is probably 1% of the time I would spend if I still used IRule.
post #1866 of 2430 Old 11-27-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess the rule of thumb should be if you want totally custom and/or use Android, go with iRule, otherwise, go with Roomie.
post #1867 of 2430 Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any Idea what the all in cost of Simple Control is if I have 6 devices? Thanks
post #1868 of 2430 Old 11-29-2015, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just came across the roomie remote. I purchased the new harmony elite remote a couple weeks ago because I need a remote that controls devices in another room; through walls mainly. Is the roomie app capable of this? I am really confused on the pricing for this and if/what kind of adapters I would need to buy. I spent $350 on the harmony so if the roomie would work, for less money, with a better interface than I would like to try it. Any help is appreciated.
post #1869 of 2430 Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Just came across the roomie remote. I purchased the new harmony elite remote a couple weeks ago because I need a remote that controls devices in another room; through walls mainly. Is the roomie app capable of this? I am really confused on the pricing for this and if/what kind of adapters I would need to buy. I spent $350 on the harmony so if the roomie would work, for less money, with a better interface than I would like to try it. Any help is appreciated.
Cost depends on how many devices you want to control, what control methods your devices support, and whether or not you want extra guide features available from within the Simple Control app. If you are only looking to control 3 devices, all 3 are fully controllable via IP, and you don want/need any of the extra guide features then the initial price for the app is all you would need to pay. If you need to control more than 3 devices then you would need to pay an additional 1-time fee to increase the number of devices supported. If you have devices that you want to control that are not controllable via. IP, then you would also need to purchase the appropriate IR or serial adaptor. The additional guide features require a recurring subscription fee.

With IP controllable devices, the commands are sent via. your network, so your phone/tablet and the device being controlled must be connected to the same network (using wifi and/or Ethernet). As long as you are connected to the same network, the device can be controlled without needing line of sight. For devices controlled via. IR or serial, the app on your phone/tablet communicates to the adaptor over your network and then the adaptor relays those commands to the device via. IR or serial. So, again, you do not need line of sight between your phone/tablet and the adaptor. However, you do need either line of sight (if using IR blasters) or a wired connection (if using serial or the IR port on your device) between the adaptor and your device.

The best way to figure out the cost of a Simple Control setup is to make a list of all of the devices you want to control in each room, including make and model number, and then go to Simple Controls website to check for device compatibility. Check the IP compatibility list first and then the serial and IR compatibility lists. Once you know how many devices would need to be controlled by what methods, you can figure out how many adaptors (if any) you would need.
K-Wood likes this.
post #1870 of 2430 Old 12-05-2015, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did SimpleControl screw Roomie users?

Has this been discussed here? If so sorry I searched but didn't fine mention...

I've had Roomie Remote since 2012. I went to run it (now SimpleControl) on my iPad which I set up years ago but haven't really used. My config is there but to control my devices they want more money. I could run Roomie on multiple devices and had unlimited devices I could control. I paid them stupid amounts of money for the privilege. It now looks like the license has changed out from under me without notice of any kind. WTF? Has anyone else had this problem?
post #1871 of 2430 Old 12-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I saw the same thing, and forgot what I did, restore purchase maybe or maybe just ignored....anyway I got it to still work. Try closing the app and just starting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome View Post
Has this been discussed here? If so sorry I searched but didn't fine mention...

I've had Roomie Remote since 2012. I went to run it (now SimpleControl) on my iPad which I set up years ago but haven't really used. My config is there but to control my devices they want more money. I could run Roomie on multiple devices and had unlimited devices I could control. I paid them stupid amounts of money for the privilege. It now looks like the license has changed out from under me without notice of any kind. WTF? Has anyone else had this problem?
post #1872 of 2430 Old 12-06-2015, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have been a Roomie user longer than that and my unlimited devices have been grandfathered through all the upgrades along the way. Two things to check. First, make sure the app was installed/upgraded using the same Apple ID as when you initially subscribed. Then go into the Settings page within Simple Control, go to the Simple Store, scroll to the bottom & hit "restore purchases" and you should be good.

I just went through this with one of my mobile devices. You should be able to get your unlimited devices back. If you're still having issues, go back to the Simole Comtrol Settings page, click "contact support" and ask them to help.
mookie b likes this.
post #1873 of 2430 Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Cost depends on how many devices you want to control, what control methods your devices support, and whether or not you want extra guide features available from within the Simple Control app. If you are only looking to control 3 devices, all 3 are fully controllable via IP, and you don want/need any of the extra guide features then the initial price for the app is all you would need to pay. If you need to control more than 3 devices then you would need to pay an additional 1-time fee to increase the number of devices supported. If you have devices that you want to control that are not controllable via. IP, then you would also need to purchase the appropriate IR or serial adaptor. The additional guide features require a recurring subscription fee.

With IP controllable devices, the commands are sent via. your network, so your phone/tablet and the device being controlled must be connected to the same network (using wifi and/or Ethernet). As long as you are connected to the same network, the device can be controlled without needing line of sight. For devices controlled via. IR or serial, the app on your phone/tablet communicates to the adaptor over your network and then the adaptor relays those commands to the device via. IR or serial. So, again, you do not need line of sight between your phone/tablet and the adaptor. However, you do need either line of sight (if using IR blasters) or a wired connection (if using serial or the IR port on your device) between the adaptor and your device.

The best way to figure out the cost of a Simple Control setup is to make a list of all of the devices you want to control in each room, including make and model number, and then go to Simple Controls website to check for device compatibility. Check the IP compatibility list first and then the serial and IR compatibility lists. Once you know how many devices would need to be controlled by what methods, you can figure out how many adaptors (if any) you would need.
Thanks for the info, all of that makes sense. I was able to hook up my receiver with an Ethernet cable so my receiver, blu ray player, and Xbox one are all on the same network. The only things that is not is my cable box. We have Comcast xfinity X1 and I cannot find any information about it on their website. Does anyone know if the X1 boxes work with roomie remote? They are not wifi compatible so is my only option getting of the ir blasters for the box? It would suck to have to buy one just for that so hopefully I am missing something.
post #1874 of 2430 Old 12-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was looking into Roomie then they switched to SimpleControl, I went to the "new" website and couldn't find the pricing structure or what it would cost me to get up and running. The old Roomie website had many different addons and software to buy. I decided to go with the Harmony Home Control as I only needed to control 1 room, I like the idea of a simpler to setup Irule setup which is what Roomie/Simple seemed to be but not having an easy to read price is a no go for me. I may be interested in this in the future but for now not even being able to figure out what it will cost me is a BIG deal breaker. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place but seems like that should be the easiest thing to find.
post #1875 of 2430 Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
In the Simple Control app, go to Sertings, then Simple Store for the in-app purchase menu to see the pricing for the various options.
post #1876 of 2430 Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know if it is possible to get Simple Control to communicate with an arduino board? I'm currently using Roomie Remote to communicate with my home theater equipment. I was going to try and make my own automated anamorphic lens slide using an arduino board to relay board to linear actuator.

I'm pretty sure I could use an iTachContact Closure to relay board to linear actuator, but was thinking of giving the arduino board a try.
post #1877 of 2430 Old 12-08-2015, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post
I have been a Roomie user longer than that and my unlimited devices have been grandfathered through all the upgrades along the way. Two things to check. First, make sure the app was installed/upgraded using the same Apple ID as when you initially subscribed. Then go into the Settings page within Simple Control, go to the Simple Store, scroll to the bottom & hit "restore purchases" and you should be good.

I just went through this with one of my mobile devices. You should be able to get your unlimited devices back. If you're still having issues, go back to the Simole Comtrol Settings page, click "contact support" and ask them to help.
Thanks, that was it! Did restore purchases and now it works on the iPad.
post #1878 of 2430 Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
If you can managed to make your project mimic an existing device, already supported by the app, you might gain instant ability to use it. Various libraries are out there, in open source, that might be usable. If not on an Arduino (of which I have no familiarity) then a Raspberry Pi or any number of other similarly small gizmos. Along the way you gain the potential to "do more" with the received commands than you might otherwise get with an iTach (which is a fine product, if overkill for just contact closure alone).
post #1879 of 2430 Old 12-09-2015, 10:47 AM

Is anyone using simple control with Comcast xfinity X1 cable? I know it is not IP controllable, but it is ir controllable. I cannot find it anywhere on their list of supported devices, but I bought a simple control wifi blaster and was going to use the ir capabilities to control the cable box. But now that I am thinking about it, will it even work if it is not compatible with simple control?
post #1880 of 2430 Old 12-09-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is anyone using simple control with Comcast xfinity X1 cable? I know it is not IP controllable, but it is ir controllable. I cannot find it anywhere on their list of supported devices, but I bought a simple control wifi blaster and was going to use the ir capabilities to control the cable box. But now that I am thinking about it, will it even work if it is not compatible with simple control?
I'm not terribly familiar with Comcast/Xfinity cable boxes, but aren't they listed in the Compatbility Lists under the manufacturer's name (e.g. Motorola)?
post #1881 of 2430 Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Still patiently waiting for an Android app
post #1882 of 2430 Old 12-09-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
X1 uses the same codes as the old RNG150 and RNG200 (XMP protocol). Just search for one of those.
post #1883 of 2430 Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
X1 uses the same codes as the old RNG150 and RNG200 (XMP protocol). Just search for one of those.
thank you. My blaster is getting delivered today and i have sent two messages to the people at simple control and have not received a response back. We just switched to Xfinity last month so i am not real familiar with their box models, but are the old RNG150 and RNG200 IP controllable, or will i need to use the IR functions on the blaster?
post #1884 of 2430 Old 12-10-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
So I tried those codes and it didn't work. The cable box is pace, model # PXD01ANI and that is not listed either. I tried the learning commands and no luck with that either. Is it possible that this box is just not compatible with roomie remote?
post #1885 of 2430 Old 12-11-2015, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I tried those codes and it didn't work. The cable box is pace, model # PXD01ANI and that is not listed either. I tried the learning commands and no luck with that either. Is it possible that this box is just not compatible with roomie remote?
Roomie Remote (Simple Control) can be updated to add support for devices that are not currently compatible. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to teach it IR commands. Regardless, you could post a request to have the particular model of cable box you are using added to the list. The more requests they get for a particular model, the more likely it is that they will find the time to search out the codes and pre-program them into the software. Devices are added regularly.
post #1886 of 2430 Old 12-11-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
.... Roomie is the opposite, very focused on the end user, very DIY friendly, updated for things like Apple Watch and iPad Multitasking the moment they're available, network control of countless things iRule doesn't even support, .....
This is not entirely accurate.

First, no control vendor can support every device out there and Roomie seems to have prepared a larger user library. However Irule allows the user to create device drivers right down to the raw hex command strings. Granted that takes some compsci know how, but at least it's a truly open platform in this regard. And through the user community, once someone does create a device driver, it can be shared among all users.

I don't know much about Roomie but as I understand, it's a far more canned, "if we don't have it you don't need it", class of product.
post #1887 of 2430 Old 12-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Roomie supports raw hex strings and goes way beyond iRule there actually with all kinds of variables and dynamic customizations. The custom devices are totally shareable.

But let's get real. Almost nothing these days works for any of those old school code list style devices no matter what "comp sci know how" you have. Today, everything is using far more advanced protocols that aren't like some kind of IR code list where you just make a list and share it and hey you're done. Like yesterday Roomie released Apple TV 2015 support. Good luck typing in a bunch of hex codes in for that one. Fire TV and just about anything home automation use things like oauth, websockets, super funky authentication, and on and on. No chance you're getting anything like that in a code library style system – which is probably part of the reason why iRule supports almost nothing beyond the most basic IP devices, at this point very dated.

I don't really think it's a discussion worth having. iRule isn't targeting the normal end user market anymore, we might as well debate HD DVD vs Blu-ray.
post #1888 of 2430 Old 12-11-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Roomie supports raw hex strings and goes way beyond iRule there actually with all kinds of variables and dynamic customizations. The custom devices are totally shareable.

But let's get real. Almost nothing these days works for any of those old school code list style devices no matter what "comp sci know how" you have. Today, everything is using far more advanced protocols that aren't like some kind of IR code list where you just make a list and share it and hey you're done. Like yesterday Roomie released Apple TV 2015 support. Good luck typing in a bunch of hex codes in for that one. Fire TV and just about anything home automation use things like oauth, websockets, super funky authentication, and on and on. No chance you're getting anything like that in a code library style system – which is probably part of the reason why iRule supports almost nothing beyond the most basic IP devices, at this point very dated.

I don't really think it's a discussion worth having. iRule isn't targeting the normal end user market anymore, we might as well debate HD DVD vs Blu-ray.
Well I agree you have a good point here. If the protocol requires any handshaking to complete the command operation, you have a problem.

Last edited by Glimmie; 12-11-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #1889 of 2430 Old 12-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Roomie Remote (Simple Control) can be updated to add support for devices that are not currently compatible. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to teach it IR commands. Regardless, you could post a request to have the particular model of cable box you are using added to the list. The more requests they get for a particular model, the more likely it is that they will find the time to search out the codes and pre-program them into the software. Devices are added regularly.
I got it working. The support team at simple control were very responsive and helpful. Now I am having an issue with my oppo blu Ray player. It will not turn with the app. Once it is on the app will turn it off, but it will not power the unit on initially. Am I missing something somewhere? Anyone else have this problem?
post #1890 of 2430 Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I got it working. The support team at simple control were very responsive and helpful. Now I am having an issue with my oppo blu Ray player. It will not turn with the app. Once it is on the app will turn it off, but it will not power the unit on initially. Am I missing something somewhere? Anyone else have this problem?
I don't have an Oppo but I had a similar problem with my Sony BDP. I was using the PowerOn command but I should have been using the "Wake On Lan" command in my power-on macro. When I switched to "Wake On LAN", it worked like a champ. Maybe something to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page