Roomie Remote - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #1951 of 2430 Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Blkicevic - I'm running into the same thing on a very similar setup. I had remote access working properly (albeit with a pretty significant lag) for just a few minutes, so I know that it can work, but *poof* it went away just like that. I'm still in the early stages of troubleshooting, but I suspect it's an issue with the Simple Sync client on the Mini not seeing the off-network iOS device. I'll keep playing with it and will let you know if I discover the magic solution.
andrewpolk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2430 Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone interested in a cheap low power device to run SimpleSync software, the RemixOS page if you go to download the distro will give you 40 dollars off a RemixPC which lowers the hockey puck to 40 dollars. It runs the software just fine. A lot cheaper than 299, for a similar PC they're selling.
post #1953 of 2430 Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock17 View Post
Yeah, I have tried. I added the oppo remote to the app so when I "watch tv", I then go into the oppo remote and press the input scroll button and select the right one. I cannot figure out any other way to do it.
I had the same problem. What worked for me was to use the "source" command followed by "Digit 3" command (with a delay of 1sec between them).
The choice of number corresponds to the list of the input sources on the OSD when using the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2430 Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyavs View Post
Anyone interested in a cheap low power device to run SimpleSync software, the RemixOS page if you go to download the distro will give you 40 dollars off a RemixPC which lowers the hockey puck to 40 dollars. It runs the software just fine. A lot cheaper than 299, for a similar PC they're selling.
I'm not seeing a way to get this deal. Can you provide any more specifics?
post #1955 of 2430 Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olavv View Post
I had the same problem. What worked for me was to use the "source" command followed by "Digit 3" command (with a delay of 1sec between them).
The choice of number corresponds to the list of the input sources on the OSD when using the remote.
Thanks for the tip but I gave up on simple control several weeks ago. I couldn't get it to work properly with my devices.
post #1956 of 2430 Old 04-21-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Bit annoyed by this article, this lady they seem to listen to as well thinks they should charge more and when they were originally going to release a cheap simple sync hardware device (why i was surprised at cost when it was revealed) she claimed it looked "rinky dink" and should be bigger (and it was) and cost more, and everything should cost more including the reoccurring fee.

I hope they realize one of the most common reasons i cant get people on here to switch from logitech harmony is the reoccurring fee already.

http://www.cepro.com/article/lessons...p_to_big_leagu

Last edited by Murilo; 04-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
post #1957 of 2430 Old 04-21-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Bit annoyed by this article...
Consider their target market is the CE installer, not the end user. Of course they'd want to espouse various means for the dealers to make more money. There seems to be renewed push on their part to focus on this perspective. Can't blame 'em, they've got bills to pay too, I guess.

I'm sure the ego at Roomie is fuming over the article. Must really steam him up not being able to censor/delete something posted elsewhere.
post #1958 of 2430 Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Consider their target market is the CE installer, not the end user. Of course they'd want to espouse various means for the dealers to make more money. There seems to be renewed push on their part to focus on this perspective. Can't blame 'em, they've got bills to pay too, I guess.

I'm sure the ego at Roomie is fuming over the article. Must really steam him up not being able to censor/delete something posted elsewhere.
I had considerable problems integrating Roomie a year and half ago and tried to contact the president Will Price for help. He referred me to one of their tech's, who would only give me cursory help. Also, there is no one you can talk to on the phone. If you have a serious tech company, that plans on expanding, you make sure customer service is a priority. I'm very suspicious of this company and how many actual employees they have.

It's potentially a fantastic idea, that hasn't been properly developed. Harmony puts it to shame in user friendliness, online support and integration.

Main Speakers: Revel F208's. Center: C208
SUB#1: Rhythmik F15HP. SUB#2: Stereo Integrity HST18 w/ Crown XLS2502
Marantz SR7009, Emotiva XPA-5
Projector: Sony HW55-ES, Carada 134" screen
post #1959 of 2430 Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
integration
You're on safe ground saying a small startup wont have as built out support as a large company like Logitech. To say that they compete on integration though is laughable. Simple Control does clearly have numerous large advantages in that area. You can count the integrations for Harmony on a hand or two, and they're usually super bad if they exist. Have you seen Harmony's Sonos integration? If ever a feature was implemented purely to check a box, it is that. It's basically a play button. SC has really rich Sonos integration. The list goes on for quite a while where Harmony has nothing and SC has really nice deep integration.

Video cameras too. SC has recently gotten pretty slick there this year. Good luck "integrating" that into a Harmony. Even though they once sold exactly such cameras, they abandoned all of it just like they abandoned remotes recently (and then grudgingly changed their mind apparently). Now apparently cameras are not part of "home automation".

Support versus Integration may be the crux of it. If you want features, a much slicker app, integration with everything, SC is the way to go -- not to mention it's usually much cheaper. If you are an entry level user with only one room of AV stuff to automate (remember Harmony has a super low device limit usually 8 sometimes 15, either way comically low) who may need a lot of hand holding, support is a higher priority. On support, my impression is it is much better but I guess it depends on when you're comparing to.
Keith Crusher likes this.
post #1960 of 2430 Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post
You're on safe ground saying a small startup wont have as built out support as a large company like Logitech. To say that they compete on integration though is laughable. Simple Control does clearly have numerous large advantages in that area. You can count the integrations for Harmony on a hand or two, and they're usually super bad if they exist. Have you seen Harmony's Sonos integration? If ever a feature was implemented purely to check a box, it is that. It's basically a play button. SC has really rich Sonos integration. The list goes on for quite a while where Harmony has nothing and SC has really nice deep integration.

Video cameras too. SC has recently gotten pretty slick there this year. Good luck "integrating" that into a Harmony. Even though they once sold exactly such cameras, they abandoned all of it just like they abandoned remotes recently (and then grudgingly changed their mind apparently). Now apparently cameras are not part of "home automation".

Support versus Integration may be the crux of it. If you want features, a much slicker app, integration with everything, SC is the way to go -- not to mention it's usually much cheaper. If you are an entry level user with only one room of AV stuff to automate (remember Harmony has a super low device limit usually 8 sometimes 15, either way comically low) who may need a lot of hand holding, support is a higher priority. On support, my impression is it is much better but I guess it depends on when you're comparing to.
You make some good points! I just want to warn other hobbyists considering Roomie/SC that from my point of view, they appear not to support their product and many on AVS have been frustrated with trying to implement it.

I bought some of the early products (Global Cache) that Roomie recommended. When I was having trouble implementing them, they had conveniently put their labels on the Global Cache products and said "we now only support hardware purchased from us."

The whole enterprise seems slippery. Products keep changing (a $200+ hub?!!?). AND WHAT SUCCESSFUL COMPANY CHANGES THEIR NAME? If you have a successful brand, you do everything to protect it. If I was president of a company and someone contacted me, I would make sure that customer is happy. Not the case with Will Price.

It seems like 5 dudes in a warehouse in Tiburon or Silicon Valley. I'm very dubious of this company.
andrewpolk likes this.

Main Speakers: Revel F208's. Center: C208
SUB#1: Rhythmik F15HP. SUB#2: Stereo Integrity HST18 w/ Crown XLS2502
Marantz SR7009, Emotiva XPA-5
Projector: Sony HW55-ES, Carada 134" screen
post #1961 of 2430 Old 04-23-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone run simple sync on android and use the remote connection to control things away from home? I am not sure if every few weeks it simply stops working or the software updates are causing issues.

Every few weeks the remote connection stops working typically when they push out an update for android, so i turned off automatic app updates and today it stopped working again when they pushed out another update. Almost as if simple app on my iphone knows it should be on a newer version and it does not work if its not.

I have a galaxy tab 4 tucked away in my home and dont monitor new releases, just curious if anyone else encountered this.

Do they have documentation or best practices for running this on android? What you should do with regards to automatic updates and if you should leave the app open and running or in the background?
post #1962 of 2430 Old 04-26-2016, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckloss View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone answer this? Appreciate any info!

At the minimum, I would like to know whether I can see & select my pandora (or other streaming source) channels and then see what's currently playing (metadata) from inside the app.

If I have to go to a second app to select music, then back to roomie to change volume, sources, etc, that's a deal breaker, and I won't bother downloading the app...

Thanks,
--Carey
Did anyone ever answer ckloss' question?

I'm also wondering if simple control can control streaming sources within the app. I'm a Tidal subscriber (yep - I'm the one...) and am looking to put together a "one-remote app-to-rule-them-all" solution.

And just as ckloss said, switching between apps to control everything is a deal breaker...

Any thoughts?
post #1963 of 2430 Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
I have been using Roomie for years.

Last night I had problems after changing the IP address of my wifi2serial adapter so I deleted it and tried to re-install it. At that point I was told simple service is required for IR devices which set me off because there is no IR in wifi to serial!

I was lucky to have my configuration backed and was able to restore order.

However, I've had roomie for so long I have been grandfathered into a few things they like to rent now instead of let people buy. (Like unlimited devices and apparently support for my wifi to serial gizmo.)

I think I better start looking at my options in case roomie is not the last remote I will ever need.

-Brian
post #1964 of 2430 Old 04-28-2016, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all
First post in this thread. I am considering moving from iRule to Roomie, mainly because of the Sonos integration and proximity features in Roomie. I use Apple Music which works great in the native Sonos app but although I see the Apple stations in the Sonos Favorites section in Roomie they won't play. Does Roomie support Apple Music through the Sonos device? Thanks in advance for any info.
post #1965 of 2430 Old 04-28-2016, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I have been using Roomie for years.

Last night I had problems after changing the IP address of my wifi2serial adapter so I deleted it and tried to re-install it. At that point I was told simple service is required for IR devices which set me off because there is no IR in wifi to serial!
-Brian
I've had this happen to me once or twice. Sending an in-app message to support has gotten them to fix it in the past, but with everyone including Roomie moving to consumption-based services, who knows when our "grandfathering" will run out?

If you have a Nomex flight suit you could ask the question on their Simple Connect forum, but be prepared to get flamed or have the post moderated into oblivion. Thall shall not speak ill of Simple Connect!
post #1966 of 2430 Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Simple Control Support

I too am a long time user/ early adopter of Roomie. Unlike some of you I have enjoyed pretty decent email support most of the time and on at least one occasion far exceeded my expectations. They are pretty good about grand-fathering things but I have noticed that as they add new features or enhancements they are tying it to subscription fees. To be honest I don't think that is unfair and from a business standpoint I don't see how they can survive without an income stream. As to their own forums I have to agree that it is very heavily filtered. I honestly think they could benefit from having a forum more like Sonos community.
post #1967 of 2430 Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I too am a long time user/ early adopter of Roomie. Unlike some of you I have enjoyed pretty decent email support most of the time and on at least one occasion far exceeded my expectations. They are pretty good about grand-fathering things but I have noticed that as they add new features or enhancements they are tying it to subscription fees. To be honest I don't think that is unfair and from a business standpoint I don't see how they can survive without an income stream. As to their own forums I have to agree that it is very heavily filtered. I honestly think they could benefit from having a forum more like Sonos community.
Yeah... Not... I subscribed to Roomie Service and had an auto-renewal happen (didn't even think about it until I added an Echo recently). Instead of offering to cut me over to their Simple Service without charging for the balance of the term, they blame me as the customer and told me to pound sand. After I just spent another $50 with them to buy Simple Sync, you would think they would want to keep a customer happy for what is a cost of $0 to them. They need to take a lesson or two from Amazon on customer service.

FWIW, the Echo/Alexa integration leaves an awful lot to be desired. Don't expect it to be terribly useful with how they have implemented it. Of course, they don't want to hear how they can improve it.

Last edited by scooter_29; 04-30-2016 at 01:26 AM.
post #1968 of 2430 Old 04-30-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
Yeah... Not... I subscribed to Roomie Service and had an auto-renewal happen (didn't even think about it until I added an Echo recently). Instead of offering to cut me over to their Simple Service without charging for the balance of the term, they blame me as the customer and told me to pound sand. After I just spent another $50 with them to buy Simple Sync, you would think they would want to keep a customer happy for what is a cost of $0 to them. They need to take a lesson or two from Amazon on customer service.

FWIW, the Echo/Alexa integration leaves an awful lot to be desired. Don't expect it to be terribly useful with how they have implemented it. Of course, they don't want to hear how they can improve it.
I think you are being kind when you say " leaves a lot to be desired" about the Echo/Alexa bits. I would not have rated it that high.
Slightly off topic, the recent addition of Lutron Caseta to Echo/Alexa works flawlessly for me
post #1969 of 2430 Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
I think you are being kind when you say " leaves a lot to be desired" about the Echo/Alexa bits. I would not have rated it that high.
Slightly off topic, the recent addition of Lutron Caseta to Echo/Alexa works flawlessly for me
Agree on the Lutron front! Lutron got it right. I am kicking myself for buying Somfy powered shades instead of Lutron. I thought I would use Simple Control via Alexa to handle my shades too but its horribly clunky. I hope one day Somfy does an Alexa Smarthome skill
post #1970 of 2430 Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
Agree on the Lutron front! Lutron got it right. I am kicking myself for buying Somfy powered shades instead of Lutron. I thought I would use Simple Control via Alexa to handle my shades too but its horribly clunky. I hope one day Somfy does an Alexa Smarthome skill
What do you guys use for simple sync?

Seems they are blaming android for alot of the problems. They like simple sync for osx though so if some of you having alexa issues are using osx then its likely on roomie.

I am using android samsung galaxy tab 4, i would also be curious if anyone running simple sync on android can discuss if they use auto updates to update the app and if it works or breaks connectivity.

Lastly they are pushing the hub as the most seamless integration, has anyone bought that overpriced hardware, does it actually work as great as they say. I seen someone was asking about alexa integration and they pushed the hub and then osx solutions.
post #1971 of 2430 Old 05-10-2016, 06:30 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
So I've been contemplating how to incorporate 3 screens with a matrix switcher into a clean, usable interface using Simple Control. I think I figured out a way using multiple activities and using custom button graphics to show which screen the user is controlling and which input is selected. The only downside is that would create a whole bunch of activities since SC doesn't let you actually hide activities. As a workaround, can't you just move the "secondary" activities to a different room where they wouldn't be cluttering up your main room interface?

Instead of-
"Casita"
  • Center - DirecTV
  • Center - Roku
  • Center - Blu-ray
  • Center - Xbox One
  • Left - DirecTV
  • Left - Roku
  • Left - Blu-ray
  • Left - Xbox One
  • Right - DirecTV
  • Right - Roku
  • Right - Blu-ray
  • Right - Xbox One
  • Shutdown

You would have this-
"Casita"
  • Center - DirecTV
  • Left - DirecTV
  • Right - DirecTV
  • Shutdown
"System Activities - Don't Open"
  • Center - Roku
  • Center - Blu-ray
  • Center - Xbox One
  • Left - Roku
  • Left - Blu-ray
  • Left - Xbox One
  • Right - Roku
  • Right - Blu-ray
  • Right - Xbox One

You could also throw toggle activities, home automation popups, etc. here.

Am I missing something, or is would this work?
Just curious...what matrix switcher are you using? I may need to get one that works well with SimpleControl.
post #1972 of 2430 Old 05-15-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Seems they are blaming android for alot of the problems. They like simple sync for osx though so if some of you having alexa issues are using osx then its likely on roomie.

I am using android samsung galaxy tab 4, i would also be curious if anyone running simple sync on android can discuss if they use auto updates to update the app and if it works or breaks connectivity.

Lastly they are pushing the hub as the most seamless integration, has anyone bought that overpriced hardware, does it actually work as great as they say. I seen someone was asking about alexa integration and they pushed the hub and then osx solutions.
I haven't had problems with Android per se and Simple Sync. I am running an old Sony Xperia tablet but turned most everything off on it. It has been running for a few weeks without problems. It did crash in the beginning a bunch as I was trying to get stuff to sync but that problem went away once I got all of the devices configured. The amount they charge for their own Android box is a bit steep but can understand it for a small outfit. They don't have the economies of scale from the likes of Lutron, Philips, Samsung, etc...

My problems with their Alexa implementation are the poorly thought out commands in the Skill itself (and lack of documentation for the skill). I find that I only use their skill to open and close the shades (which oddly uses the command "toggle" instead of open and close). I use the direct Lutron Smart Home implementation to control the lights.
post #1973 of 2430 Old 05-16-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdavis75 View Post
Just curious...what matrix switcher are you using? I may need to get one that works well with SimpleControl.
Good question -- the short answer is that the matrix switcher project has been on the back burner for a bit. I talked with HDTV Supply and they recommended this switcher as having Roomie support. When I get some free time, that is likely the one that I'll go with.
post #1974 of 2430 Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I just noticed the following the Simple Control twitter feed -
"Introducing SimpleCam for Apple TV – Camera Viewer and Synchronization for Simple Control! https://t.co/qoBu0JJqE7
MAY 4, 2016"

The RTSP viewer isn't that interesting but the synchronization functionality could be. I'll try to give it a look this week and report back.
post #1975 of 2430 Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Anyone else ready to give up on simple control working with Amazon Echo? arghhhhhhh
Well I feel a little better now that i got that out! But everything else works great!!! Hue Lights, Ceiling Fans, Wall Switches, Streaming, etc...! Simple Control... not so much!

Update:
Well, I finally got SC to work with Echo by using default activity names and putting the devices in a different order. I put the lights as the first command and the power on device(TV, Reciever, etc...) as the second command and all after. BABOOM BABAM, Echo is Happy now and so am I!

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!

Last edited by blkicevic; 05-21-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Update
post #1976 of 2430 Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 AM

Liked: 14
Works great for me with Alexa. Have been using it for most of the year now. It's completely changed my routine on most days. Places I'd never have though to be able to control things now have it and the voice recognition is really excellent.

The documentation they provide is very specific about the changes you need to make for voice control right down to activity names. The likelihood of getting answers here instead of from the docs or support seems pretty low.
scroberts72 likes this.
post #1977 of 2430 Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM

and as a bonus: I got a call from [email protected] and wham bam SC remote access is now working off network! These guys went the extra mile and I am truly grateful for that support! Thanks

post #1978 of 2430 Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
I just noticed the following the Simple Control twitter feed -
"Introducing SimpleCam for Apple TV – Camera Viewer and Synchronization for Simple Control! https://t.co/qoBu0JJqE7
MAY 4, 2016"

The RTSP viewer isn't that interesting but the synchronization functionality could be. I'll try to give it a look this week and report back.
I did a bit more research and this Apple TV app allows you to run the Simple Sync software on your AppleTV. You still have to purchase the Simple Sync license ($50 or so) in addition to the app. costs ($20). But, if it works, $70 is much less expensive than a Simple Hub.
post #1979 of 2430 Old 05-31-2016, 07:14 AM

I just sent a request to Simple Control support about this. I would like to transfer my license if possible from my mac mini running Simple sync and Service to my apple TV and use it as my Hub. My apple tv is always on controlling my locks and lights through homekit.

post #1980 of 2430 Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkicevic View Post
and as a bonus: I got a call from [email protected] and wham bam SC remote access is now working off network! These guys went the extra mile and I am truly grateful for that support! Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoble33 View Post
Blkicevic - I'm running into the same thing on a very similar setup. I had remote access working properly (albeit with a pretty significant lag) for just a few minutes, so I know that it can work, but *poof* it went away just like that. I'm still in the early stages of troubleshooting, but I suspect it's an issue with the Simple Sync client on the Mini not seeing the off-network iOS device. I'll keep playing with it and will let you know if I discover the magic solution.
Just curious if you guys still have remote access randomly stopping working, i get it working but after a few weeks it stops and simple hub/sync needs to be closed and restarted.

I actually ordered the hub so i will see if that fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page