86Likes

post #2401 of 2431 Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
I have a prepro that does show up in the list of devices when I manually add it but according to Support, it is not supported and they won't give me any help or advice on how to get it working (only Wake-On-LAN works for me, none of the other commands or auto generated buttons). So I am looking to set up my own commands for this device. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there anyway to see what commands are already set up in the existing codeset? I have the codeset id but haven't found a way to get in to browse it or download it for editing. I've asked support but they have been silent.

2. Can I blend my own commands with the commands that are already in the SimpleControl database or is it one or the other?

3. There are two parameters in my existing config file after manually adding my prepro. One is called codesetuuid, which I assume is a pointer to the commands and the other is called uuid, which might be the auto generated UI. Can either of these be edited?

Thanks for any help or advice, I got nowhere with the official support line. They basically said RTFM and my device is unsupported, so I'm on my own. Nice.

Karl
I can try to help, but what the heck is a 'prepro'?

As for your questions:

1. Yes - the easiest way I've found is to add a command for an activity, choose your device and you'll see the list of preprogrammed commands.

2. Yes

3. Yes - though I would traditionally do this using Dropbox. What makes you think you *can't* use Dropbox? I just tested unlinking and relinking my Dropbox in 4.5 and it works fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2431 Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B View Post
I’ve asked some of these questions before and this is what they said:

1. No, you have to add from scratch
2. No, see prev answer.
3. Not sure but they normally refer you to the doc for answers
Thanks, after spending two days of trial and error, I think I have it mostly working. I had to delete the receiver I had manually added, then re-add the commands manually into a codeset and then re-add the receiver. The commands in their codeset didn't work anyway, so no loss. The biggest issue I have is that Simple Control doesn't seem to maintain the connection to my receiver for more than a few seconds. When I connect as a telnet client from my PC, once I send the authentication string, the session stays open until I kill it. That allows me to send commands via telnet whenever I want. However, with Simple Control, after powering up via a 12v trigger (Wake-On-LAN doesn't work for some reason), I send the same authentication string and then I can issue some initial commands fine but if a minute later I want to change the volume or the input, I have to issue an auth command again first.
post #2403 of 2431 Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Crusher View Post
I can try to help, but what the heck is a 'prepro'?

As for your questions:

1. Yes - the easiest way I've found is to add a command for an activity, choose your device and you'll see the list of preprogrammed commands.

2. Yes

3. Yes - though I would traditionally do this using Dropbox. What makes you think you *can't* use Dropbox? I just tested unlinking and relinking my Dropbox in 4.5 and it works fine...
A prepro is short for a preprocessor/preamp, a device that does the multi-channel decoding, room correction, and channel mapping but has no amplification of it's own.

You answer to #1 only shows the name of the command, I was actually wanting to see the actual text of the command that gets sent to the prepro, which is only available in the plist and as far as I can tell, the Simple Control plists for their supported devices are not visible. They should be nice to have as examples when trying to add an unsupported device.

I discovered the answer to #2 is No. And I'm not sure what DropBox has to do with question 3. Through my experiments this weekend I discovered that the codesetuuid and the uuid are internal pointers/keys used by Simple Control and you can't modify or access contents of either one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 2431 Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
Thanks, after spending two days of trial and error, I think I have it mostly working. I had to delete the receiver I had manually added, then re-add the commands manually into a codeset and then re-add the receiver. The commands in their codeset didn't work anyway, so no loss. The biggest issue I have is that Simple Control doesn't seem to maintain the connection to my receiver for more than a few seconds. When I connect as a telnet client from my PC, once I send the authentication string, the session stays open until I kill it. That allows me to send commands via telnet whenever I want. However, with Simple Control, after powering up via a 12v trigger (Wake-On-LAN doesn't work for some reason), I send the same authentication string and then I can issue some initial commands fine but if a minute later I want to change the volume or the input, I have to issue an auth command again first.

What is your prepro? Are you running a hub? The denon for instance pushes the commands to the hub and then to the receiver. It prevents the issues of more than one user trying to connect. Doesn’t sound like your issue but mentioning it in case you’re not aware. I’d email them if you’re stuck.
post #2405 of 2431 Old 05-27-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
What is your prepro? Are you running a hub? The denon for instance pushes the commands to the hub and then to the receiver. It prevents the issues of more than one user trying to connect. Doesn’t sound like your issue but mentioning it in case you’re not aware. I’d email them if you’re stuck.
My prepro is a Trinnov Altitude32, which is not in the supported list but if you manually add the IP and then select the category = Receiver, you can find in the list. So it will add a codeset for it and you get a bunch of commands in the UI which seem to mimic the Trinnov IR remote, so I assume this is an IR codeset and not one for IP. Once I deleted it, I was able to add my own commands manually (after many fits and starts with the XML structure). I do have a hub but shut it down while I was doing the debugging and development today. Once I got things working on a single iPad I turned th Hub back on an synched up a couple of other devices. I sent an email.
post #2406 of 2431 Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Crusher View Post
I may be too late to the party, but saw your post and wanted to say that I still have 2 clients running 4.5 on iOS12, both with Sonos, and both are working fine - EXCEPT with AppleTV 4K units, which can no longer be controlled by 4.5 due to changes in tvOS (and no viable way to roll the units back to an early tvOS...believe me, I've tried).

So, FWIW, it does work here. Maybe if you can give the specifics about your system, especially Sonos, how it's set up, how many units you have, if Sonos app works, etc. I can help you find a solution...
Thanks for the reply and trying to help.

v4.5 running on all my iOS devices which have iOS 11 are fine. Full control of SONOS etc. However on the iOS iPad running iOS 12 I can't control SONOS. SONOS app works fine and always has done. Haven't made any changes to the system just installed v4.5 on the iPad running iOS 12 and can no longer control SONOS. In fact it's not just SONOS but a lot of the devices which are under the control of Simple don't respond on this iPad. I have two Simple Blasters and anything connected to these also don't respond.
post #2407 of 2431 Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencollins View Post

1. v4.5 running on all my iOS devices which have iOS 11 are fine. Full control of SONOS etc.

2. However on the iOS iPad running iOS 12 I can't control SONOS.
1. Really ?

2. Your Simple-Control "Network or System as a whole" doesn't sound "fine" to me.

It seems that while systems still running v4.5.x might appear to work, they eventually suffer some "deal breaker" issue that forces the upgrade.

For me, it was Alexa integration. It just stopped working one day a few months ago. She indicated the commands are valid, but nothing happens. Upgrading the whole system (hub etc) to latest 5.x fixed everything.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #2408 of 2431 Old 05-29-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
1. Really ?

2. Your Simple-Control "Network or System as a whole" doesn't sound "fine" to me.

It seems that while systems still running v4.5.x might appear to work, they eventually suffer some "deal breaker" issue that forces the upgrade.

For me, it was Alexa integration. It just stopped working one day a few months ago. She indicated the commands are valid, but nothing happens. Upgrading the whole system (hub etc) to latest 5.x fixed everything.
Well it's worked like it has for a long time and I've suffered no issues with v4.5 on all the iOS devices running iOS 11. Everything is controllable including all my custom devices and remotes. Zero issues on those iOS devices. It's only on the iPad running iOS 12 which has problems. I only tested v4.5 on the iPad running iOS 12 as it's a company iPad and I wanted to see if v4.5 would work on iOS 12. I'm leaving all other iOS devices on iOS 11 so for me it's fine as it is. I can't see how anything will suddenly break provided you don't upgrade the iOS version.
post #2409 of 2431 Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Alexa integration is dead, when I first hooked it up it pulled a lot of commands that seemed like a mess so I cleaned it up and deleted the Alexa commands and it just refuses to populate now. Anyone had that happen? Talked to amazon and SC with no luck.
post #2410 of 2431 Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
My Alexa integration is dead, when I first hooked it up it pulled a lot of commands that seemed like a mess so I cleaned it up and deleted the Alexa commands and it just refuses to populate now. Anyone had that happen? Talked to amazon and SC with no luck.
Is everything on SC v5.7.x or higher ?

What are you using for a SC-Hub ?

Do those same commands work manually from an iOS device?

Did you delete your old Subscription and setup a new one in new SC-5.x App ?

Try using only the basic Simple-Control Alexa Skill (the one that takes the longer commands).

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #2411 of 2431 Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Is everything on SC v5.7.x or higher ?

What are you using for a SC-Hub ?

Do those same commands work manually from an iOS device?

Did you delete your old Subscription and setup a new one in new SC-5.x App ?

Try using only the basic Simple-Control Alexa Skill (the one that takes the longer commands).

I’ll check the versions but I think so.

Apple TV

Meaning from iOS in SC? If so yes.

I started with SC 5.0, so I never had an old subscription, I think you mean SC subscription that is.

Okay will do. Thanks
post #2412 of 2431 Old 10-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello All

I got the new JVC NX7 Projector. My projector seems to have a network connection (I am able to check this on the Menu) and it also shows on my ORBI Router satellite as connected.

When I try to add this projector to my Simple Control remote unable to find. Is there anything I am missing?

Cheers

Raj
post #2413 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello All

I got the new JVC NX7 Projector. My projector seems to have a network connection (I am able to check this on the Menu) and it also shows on my ORBI Router satellite as connected.

When I try to add this projector to my Simple Control remote unable to find. Is there anything I am missing?

Cheers

Raj
A quick look at the Roomie compatibility list shows that JVC projectors must be manually added. Before doing this, use your projector settings or your router to set a static IP address for the projector. Then use the static IP address, along with the port 20554 to manually add the projector to your devices list. Test it before saving by trying to power on/off. If that works, save it and you’re good to go.
rramacha likes this.
post #2414 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks. I figured this late last night after contacting support. I went back and did this.I also upgraded to Version 6.

Cheers

Raj
post #2415 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Thanks. I figured this late last night after contacting support. I went back and did this.I also upgraded to Version 6.

Cheers

Raj
I didn't think that you could control the JVC's (I have a NX9) through IP. I hooked it all up, and wasn't able to get it to work, so I've been using a dedicated IR blaster - which works just fine. Did you get 2 way control to see what state it's in?

Also, how'd you upgrade to Version 6?

I (mostly) like the software, but their support team is absolute garbage. They're incredibly rude and disrespectful of any reasonable question - that they are often wrong about as they won't work to read what the issue is, then become further irritated when you try to work with them to understand this. Glad to hear you got this working however. I might hook mine back up.
rramacha likes this.
post #2416 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readthis13 View Post
NM, just realized that they launched a new app entirely... I'll give it a look I suppose.
post #2417 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't think that you could control the JVC's (I have a NX9) through IP. I hooked it all up, and wasn't able to get it to work, so I've been using a dedicated IR blaster - which works just fine. Did you get 2 way control to see what state it's in?

I (mostly) like the software, but their support team is absolute garbage. They're incredibly rude and disrespectful of any reasonable question - that they are often wrong about as they won't work to read what the issue is, then become further irritated when you try to work with them to understand this. Glad to hear you got this working however. I might hook mine back up.
JVC - I added manually using IP. They have mentioned Port# on their Website

Version 6 is a new app Roomie Remote (they are using their old name). I bought the app and my subscription from 5.5 moved over. One thing I love is simple hub gone. I had heart break with that.

Support - I totally agree. They can do better. I dont mind little higher for subscription to get better support.
post #2418 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
JVC - I added manually using IP. They have mentioned Port# on their Website

Version 6 is a new app Roomie Remote (they are using their old name). I bought the app and my subscription from 5.5 moved over. One thing I love is simple hub gone. I had heart break with that.

Support - I totally agree. They can do better. I dont mind little higher for subscription to get better support.

Do you have 2 way control of your JVC via Roomie? For example, can you see the on/off status?
rramacha likes this.
post #2419 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Do you have 2 way control of your JVC via Roomie? For example, can you see the on/off status?
I cannot see on/off status for JVC, but neither can I see for anything else like Strato, Apple TV, Marantz 8805 or Sony 4K Player.
post #2420 of 2431 Old 10-09-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I cannot see on/off status for JVC, but neither can I see for anything else like Strato, Apple TV, Marantz 8805 or Sony 4K Player.
With the Marantz, you should see volume, ND have on/off tracking. I've had it with Denon's with IP control. And with the Apple TV, you have 2 way control. I guess that's what I'm mostly asking about here. Is there any feedback to Roomie whatsoever?
post #2421 of 2431 Old 10-10-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
With the Marantz, you should see volume, ND have on/off tracking. I've had it with Denon's with IP control. And with the Apple TV, you have 2 way control. I guess that's what I'm mostly asking about here. Is there any feedback to Roomie whatsoever?
When the activity is turned on. I have two way feedback with Marantz, Strato and Apple TV. I don't have that with JVC.

Cheers

Raj
post #2422 of 2431 Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Epson 6040 Lens Memory Recall

1. I have IP connectivity to Epson and can use the native Roomie Remote Commands to power up and down
2.) I have http commands to recall lens memory via ip which via curl on mac
3.) i’m stuck on how to add html command via xml into app so i can add associated buttons

any help?
post #2423 of 2431 Old 10-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS_VA View Post
Epson 6040 Lens Memory Recall

1. I have IP connectivity to Epson and can use the native Roomie Remote Commands to power up and down
2.) I have http commands to recall lens memory via ip which via curl on mac
3.) i’m stuck on how to add html command via xml into app so i can add associated buttons

any help?
Have you downloaded and tried the Roomie SDK? I had the same issue with my AVP. I could manually add it, as few commands worked but most didn't. I ended up using the SDK to define all of the IP commands I needed and inserted them into the Roomie XML code using the technique described in the SDK. I then deleted and readded my AVP with the new code set and it works great. I did the same with my DSP was well, as there was no Roomie support for it.
post #2424 of 2431 Old 10-10-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Is the hub gone now with the new release? How is Alexa integration done?
post #2425 of 2431 Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Hub Gone.

Did not test Alexa integration.

Cheers

Raj
post #2426 of 2431 Old 10-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Roomie SDK? i am aware of the DDK haven’t seen the SDK. The DDK has samples of XML but doesn’t provide any clarity how to insure the HTML header has the fixed authentication string then the command needed. Can you provide link if I had missed it thanks in advance.
post #2427 of 2431 Old 10-11-2019, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Yes, the hub is gone. It's replaced by one of the devices becoming a "primary" dynamically.

Alexa integration still works just like the previous version. And, if you're on iOS 13.x, Siri integration improves with siri shorcuts.

Jeff
post #2428 of 2431 Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Even though I was grandfathered in, looks like itach devices are back on the compatibility list?
post #2429 of 2431 Old 10-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I've had bad experiences with customer service as well, mostly from the owner himself, the other guy seems fine for the most part. It seems like with version 6 that regular support is now gone and that the in app support has been renamed and intended to use for only bug submissions. If you have questions they want you to use the forums or contact an av company of some sorts (who probably isnt going to know jack about roomie remote). (I was not told this directly trying to submit a support ticket like before but it seems to state in the app and online this is the new direction)

I contacted support a while ago because ever since my nvidia shield upgraded its OS version i could no longer control the shield over IP with simplecontrol. I asked them and they said they changed nothing and that its not their problem. Well I was hoping to get at least an answer of where to go or what to do to fix it because i'm certain that had i asked how to add a shield in the first place they may have told me.

To this day this problem still isn't fixed so i'm actually curious if any of you guys know how to control the nvidia shield (2017) with simplecontrol(5.5)/roomie remote(6.0). I recall i had to do something in the developer menu on the shield and then it stated working i think, but i don't know if i need to delete the shield and re-add it or if there's something different i need to do/re-enable on the shield to get this to work again.

7.1.4 system:
JVC NX7 / 120" Seymour Screen | Marantz SR7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #2430 of 2431 Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS_VA View Post
Roomie SDK? i am aware of the DDK haven’t seen the SDK. The DDK has samples of XML but doesn’t provide any clarity how to insure the HTML header has the fixed authentication string then the command needed. Can you provide link if I had missed it thanks in advance.
Yes, I meant the DDK, sorry for the confusion. There is a new one out for V6 but it hasn't changed too much from 5.5.

I have two devices that I use custom IP control commands for. I tested each of them by manually entering commands from a telnet client before I did any XML development, just to make sure I fully understood the commands and responses. It turns out that one of my devices accepts telnet commands without any authentication, so that one was easy.

My other device requires an authentication string to be sent at the start of a telnet session. That string begins with "id" and then can be any string I define in the setup. I initially tried sending this as just another command from the Activity setup but learned that Roomie times out the telnet session after 15 seconds of no activity, so after the initial Activity commands at startup, none of the rest of my control commands worked after 15 seconds. What I then learned from support is that using a /key of ".AUTH x STATUS" and a /string with "id" and my defined auth string would solve it. This command gets sent every time before a button push command is sent, so it reestablishes the telnet session. The "x" is the /key field just defines the sequence the commands are sent in, so if, for example, you have a device that requires both an id and password for authentication, you would use ".AUTH 1 STATUS" to send the id string and ".AUTH 2 STATUS" to send the password string.

I've pasted a sample of my XML for a Trinnov Altitude 32 below. Since the Trinnov only requires a single authentication string, I only used .AUTH 1 STATUS.

<key>codes</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>brand</key>
<string>Trinnov</string>
<key>cat</key>
<string>Altitude32</string>
<key>codes</key>
<dict>
<key>.AUTH 1 STATUS</key>
<string>id my_id_value</string>

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page