Roomie Remote - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #2491 of 2513 Old 04-15-2020, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a similar problem in one of my rooms where certain devices become unresponsive until I do a device discovery. Then those devices will work for an arbitrary period of time before they start working again.

When I contacted support about this, they had me verify that my Primary controller was functional & in guided access mode. Next, they sent me an email with literally a full 8.5x11’s worth of labyrinthine steps to carry out, involving a desktop to save a copy of the configuration, then basically auguring the configuration out of each Roomie device, re-downloading/re-installing, etc. I think there’s a pentagram involved & advice to stay out of the moors as well.

Needless to say I haven’t gotten up the gumption to try all this yet as I’m rarely in front of a desktop any more. It’s just been easier to do the rediscovery thing when those devices stop working. So I can’t say if their procedure works or not. But if you were to poke the Jabberwock with your question, that’s the answer you’ll prolly get back.

Last edited by atebit; 04-15-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2513 Old 04-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post
When I contacted support about this, they had me verify that my Primary controller was functional & in guided access mode. Next, they sent me an email with literally a full 8.5x11’s worth of labyrinthine steps to carry out, involving a desktop to save a copy of the configuration, then basically auguring the configuration out of each Roomie device, re-downloading/re-installing, etc. I think there’s a pentagram involved & advice to stay out of the moors as well.
I think I get the concept of what they are doing but it’s strange a desktop would be involved. You can already backup the configuration to iCloud. You could then delete the app on an iPad, reinstall it fresh and then download the backup into the new software and you should be back to where you were. I’m not sure why that move would correct anything unless there is buggy code that is getting corrupted on the iPad and needs to be renewed via this process. You can access the iCloud backup from a Mac, that’s how you have to do it if you want to insert any custom code. After you edit it, you simply upload it back to iCloud and then restore the iPad from the iCloud backup to download the new code. But unless they are saying you need to change something in the backup, simply downloading to a Mac doesn’t seem like it would do anything.
post #2493 of 2513 Old 04-17-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is anyone using Lyngdorf MP-60 with roomie. I had to set it up with IR (as Roomie doesn't support IP for this). I am unable to get feed back on volume level, RP Setting etc.

Did any one have success getting these to work? Without all this I feel even a harmony elite will work. I loved feedback when Marantz AV8805 was there before.

Thanks

Raj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2494 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Is anyone using Lyngdorf MP-60 with roomie. I had to set it up with IR (as Roomie doesn't support IP for this). I am unable to get feed back on volume level, RP Setting etc.

Did any one have success getting these to work? Without all this I feel even a harmony elite will work. I loved feedback when Marantz AV8805 was there before.

Thanks

Raj
I have a similar challenge with my Trinnov Altitude 32. I developed a code set in Roomie so I can do IP control but there is no mechanism to get any feedback. I work around it by using activities that select different sources, Trinnov presets, and starting volume and then I blindly increase or decrease the volume by ear. If I want to I switch the source, I just choose another activity. I have communicated with support but they have told me that feedback for a custom device is not possible.
rramacha likes this.
post #2495 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
I have a similar challenge with my Trinnov Altitude 32. I developed a code set in Roomie so I can do IP control but there is no mechanism to get any feedback. I work around it by using activities that select different sources, Trinnov presets, and starting volume and then I blindly increase or decrease the volume by ear. If I want to I switch the source, I just choose another activity. I have communicated with support but they have told me that feedback for a custom device is not possible.
I am switching to Lyngdorf App after the activity starts and i have used my set up to use presets for each input to use different RP, Voicing and Volume.

This is just annoying to switch multiple apps. I wish had a good Control 4 dealer near my home.

Cheers

Raj
post #2496 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I am switching to Lyngdorf App after the activity starts and i have used my set up to use presets for each input to use different RP, Voicing and Volume.

This is just annoying to switch multiple apps. I wish had a good Control 4 dealer near my home.

Cheers

Raj
I do the same with the Trinnov GUI, which is web based (or VNC if you want to do more setup type actions). I’ll have to dig out the Trinnov programming guide and see if there is a way to get at least volume and source feedback to Roomie. I remember seeing something in the Roomie programming guide but when I asked support, they made it sound like it wouldn’t work so I didn’t try it. But with the downtime right now, it’s worth another look.
rramacha likes this.
post #2497 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I've never heard of getting (volume, etc.) feedback from an IR-controlled device. Have you?

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Humax 201 DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-HD (Gen-4) ~ Roomie Remote & iPort Dock ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony Elite w/Hub ~ HTPC (Kodi for Windows) ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #2498 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
I've never heard of getting (volume, etc.) feedback from an IR-controlled device. Have you?
No. This is why i wanted to see if anyone using Lyngdorf or McIntosh has figured a way. It seems not possible and it sucks
post #2499 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andehhh View Post

1. I always had huge issues before getting the hub set up with 2 people using remotes at the same time for different rooms/switching channels etc. etc.

I finally got it working with the hub some time back and am now reluctant to remove the hub from my system. I did briefly try v6 when released and ran into the same issues as before.

2. Is it possible to still use the hub with v6? Or is the system better now and I just need to give it another shot?

3. It's always something I dread is changing this system and anytime I get in contact with support I end up trying to find an alternative product. I've never dealt with support so rude and uninterested.
Welcome to the forum.

1. Never tried two concurrent users (but I agree, it should work ... as it is marketed to support a multi-room residence). I'm just happy if one-user works.

2. My post above was based on my use of 4.5 and 5.x . I haven't tried 6.x yet , but it is different under-the-hood now. Looks like Hubs (as we knew them before) are gone now. So, that's another $50 down the drain. But whatever ... if it works better now I guess it's cool.

https://roomieremote.com/60whatsnew/

3. Yeah, same here.

Like many of you, I started with Simple-Control in 2017 (Roomie name was never mentioned) . I bought it all ... iOS devices, Simple-Hub for Mac, Simple-Blasters, 1-year 20-device Subscription, etc. I did not know they had shifted focus to dealers, I was just excited to find them. So, we endure all these changes and now, back to DIY-focus.

Will is an expert software developer. But I get the idea they feel they are giving-away everything for cheap, so don't owe us much support. While we are pushing and hoping for this 100% reliable and flexible solution , they seem more interested in the hard-core DIY market ... about 75% of us who can get it to work acceptably on our own (and shut up ... and accept the occasional network or sync glitch). But still, this product is about "control" and not "automation" .

Maybe I will again try it now that v6.x is maturing and product is on (what they believe to be) a better track. I think finally supporting hard-button remotes (like Harmony bub-based ones like Elite) is a step in the right direction. Only with that can it even begin to be compared to Control-4 or Savant.

There were a couple of "find alternative DIY solution" threads here on AVS. Best I can tell ... you might eventually be able to build something comparable on Home-Assistant or OpenHAB .

Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1

Last edited by Tesla1856; 04-18-2020 at 09:35 PM.
post #2500 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use Harmony hubs in the rest of my rooms as they are simpler and don't require any custom programming.
Agreed. Just upgraded my old (IR-based) Harmony-650 for a Harmony-Elite-and-Hub in main room.

Man, with just one of these and a $30 Echo-Dot ... you get a lot of functionality and no subscription fees. Just sayin.

post #2501 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Just upgraded my old (IR-based) Harmony-650 for a Harmony-Elite-and-Hub in main room.

Man, with just one of these and a $30 Echo-Dot ... you get a lot of functionality and no subscription fees. Just sayin.
The big problem with Harmony is that unless your product is supported, there is no way to add custom controls for products that aren’t in their database. Most of my rooms use well known brands that can be handled by Harmony but my theater is mostly brands that Harmony doesn’t support, so I had no choice but go to Roomie or pay a lot more for a C4 and then have to call the dealer every time I want to make a change.
post #2502 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1. The big problem with Harmony is that unless your product is supported, there is no way to add custom controls for products that aren’t in their database.

2. Most of my rooms use well known brands that can be handled by Harmony but my theater is mostly brands that Harmony doesn’t support, so I had no choice but go to Roomie

3. or pay a lot more for a C4 and then have to call the dealer every time I want to make a change.
1. Really? I thought you just make a custom device and then train all buttons?

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-database

2. Hmm. I've read you can also ask Harmony to add new devices. Don't they add new ones every year (as new models release).

3. Yeah, I might end-up with Control-4 eventually . I hear you can be a self-dealer or buy the design-software to do everything except add a new device (which a nice dealer can do cheap remotely). How often do you actually buy a new piece of gear anyway?

Got a friend with C4. It works great for them in whole house / multiple rooms. Guess how he gets around the whole dealer thing ...
He just pays the dealer a small-feee when he must, but generally he doesn't actually add new gear... He just uses what he has.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 04-19-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: More details
post #2503 of 2513 Old 04-18-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
1. Really? I thought you just make a custom device and then train all buttons? Or, is that just for Activities ?

2. Hmm. I've read you can also ask Harmony to add new devices. Don't they add new ones every year (as new models release).

3. Yeah, I might end-up with Control-4 eventually . I hear you can be a self-dealer or buy the design-software to do everything except add a new device (which a nice dealer can do cheap remotely). How often do you actually buy a new piece of gear anyway?

Got a friend with C4. It works great for them in whole house / multiple rooms. Guess how he gets around the whole dealer thing ...
He just pays the dealer a small-feee when he must, but generally he doesn't actually add new gear... He just uses what he has.
If i can be a C4 dealer myself I would or some one who would do a good job, Every one for one room set up asks 4K to 5K
post #2504 of 2513 Old 04-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
1. Really? I thought you just make a custom device and then train all buttons?

#1 - a number of devices in my theater either have no IR at all or have limited commands for IR. For example, my Trinnov processor can only be powered up using Wake-On-LAN. Getting an IR cable from my equipment rack to the projector would also be a challenge.

#2 - this is fairly low volume/pro type stuff, so I could ask but figured I'd be waiting a long time.
post #2505 of 2513 Old 04-19-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
[URL=https://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]

a - a number of devices in my theater either have no IR at all or have limited commands for IR. For example, my Trinnov processor can only be powered up using Wake-On-LAN.

b. Getting an IR cable from my equipment rack to the projector would also be a challenge.
a. I would be surprised is Roomie was your only option. Is see several solutions in Google.

b. You can get a "IR > wireless > IR" dongle-set for the projector. They are cheap and works fine here for me.

post #2506 of 2513 Old 04-19-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
a. I would be surprised is Roomie was your only option. Is see several solutions in Google.

b. You can get a "IR > wireless > IR" dongle-set for the projector. They are cheap and works fine here for me.
I know Roomie isn’t my only option and I don’t need to use to Google to find them. They are Control4, Crestron, AMX, and Savant. All are expensive and all require a dealer/programmer to setup and make changes. I had a whole house Savant system before. I got so frustrated with it, I ripped it out and replaced it with Harmony Hubs that I programmed myself. But when I redid the theater I quickly realized IR wasn’t going to cut it. I looked around and tried a few different software based solutions. Roomie was the most capable and allowed me to add custom IP controls for my equipment. It isn’t perfect but I haven’t found anything close for the same money and that allows me to do the programming.
post #2507 of 2513 Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Agreed. Other than the "semi-pro" solutions you mentioned that require an integrator and professional support, I haven't found anything else that comes close to Roomie. The frustrating support experience from Roomie doesn't help.

The latest version of Roomie offers Harmony Hub integration. I'm not a Harmony user so I haven't tried it. Curious if you or anyone else on this forum has tried it and can speak to their experience.

Jeff
post #2508 of 2513 Old 04-20-2020, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I'm looking for someone who is capable and willing to produce a plist file for me... for a price of course. I have a Sim2 Nero 4S projector which is not supported by Roomie. I have tried to use the learn function on an iTach but it doesn't work very well. Plus I'd like to have direct source commands instead of having to scroll thru a menu.

I've been a long time user (since the beginning) and like most of you I find their support (specifically Will Price) to be useless if not antagonistic! I do have a pdf file from Sim2 with all of the RS232 commands listed.

If someone knows anyone who is very capable, please let me know.

Thanks!
post #2509 of 2513 Old 05-16-2020, 10:48 AM
rsh
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me out here.

I have Simple Control 5.7.14 version. Yesterday, my Fire Stick 4K tv stopped working from Simple control app. None of the buttons in the app doing anything. Other devices - Cablebox, Denon receiver, LG TV are still being operated by Simple Control app just fine.

Anyone experienced anything like that?

The other thing that happened recently - Cable guide has disappeared. from the app, and I cannot see it any longer.

I have contacted their support, but got a brush off as usually. Their response was - upgrade to latest version. I had another issue about a month ago, got the same answer from them, but was able to figure out the problem without any upgrades. I hope this could be just another glitch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Roman
rtheaters.com
FusionCollectionSeating.com
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #2510 of 2513 Old 05-16-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post
Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me out here.

I have Simple Control 5.7.14 version. Yesterday, my Fire Stick 4K tv stopped working from Simple control app. None of the buttons in the app doing anything. Other devices - Cablebox, Denon receiver, LG TV are still being operated by Simple Control app just fine.

Anyone experienced anything like that?

The other thing that happened recently - Cable guide has disappeared. from the app, and I cannot see it any longer.

I have contacted their support, but got a brush off as usually. Their response was - upgrade to latest version. I had another issue about a month ago, got the same answer from them, but was able to figure out the problem without any upgrades. I hope this could be just another glitch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Is the fire stock a static ip? If not it might have changed. Check the device ip under advanced in Roomie and compare to reality.
post #2511 of 2513 Old 05-16-2020, 11:46 AM
rsh
AVS Forum Special Member

It is not a static IP, but it did not change. It shows the same 192.168.86.44 in the app and in my google Wi-Fi.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #2512 of 2513 Old 05-16-2020, 01:12 PM
rsh
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm.. deleted Fire stick device and added it again, and now it works.

Weird...

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #2513 of 2513 Old 05-17-2020, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 227
In Roomie I have seen it where the device quits, if you go into advanced it will have a blank network id, put the MAC address in and it will work again. A good trick is to add the device again, and before you save just look at the settings it has. Then cancel adding and go back and fix up the existing device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page