Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3661 of 4127 Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Although the mini blaster should resolve this. Some of the time when devices don't power on/off or wrong input, etc. consistently.

It can be related to the placement of the hub.

You may be able to resolve this without the use of the mini blaster.

By simply re-locating the hub on an end table and aiming (line of sight, ideally no objects blocking the IR signal path.) to the devices you are controlling.

This will greatly increase the stabilty (consistency) of operating your devices with the hub during an activity or any IR command.

When I reconfig my room recently (MLP) I located the hub on top of one of my surround speaker (40") high and aimed it towards the entertainment stand. No concerns, very stable.

Previously it was on my rear surround speaker. Never had any concerns, very stable. Shooting the IR signal at least 25' to the equipment.

Harmony somewhat does everyone a dis service by only including the picture of setting the hub in/top of a cabinet/entertainment stand.

The hub can be located anywhere you have an electrical outlet and ideally line if sight. Maybe the wife doesnt like the [email protected]@k of seeing the hub. You can locate it with the use of velcro on the under side of a end table. Again consider line of sight and objects that may block the signal.

The hub puts out a very powerful IR signal. Although it does not require line of sight. In some instances it relies on bouncing the signal off of idealy hard objects and does a very good job at it.

good luck
I have already placed the mini blaster; it was unused anyway, so no biggie.

So far it's been fine, but if problems persist, I'll have to consider your suggestions.

Thanks!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3662 of 4127 Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I am aware of those. Hoping they will evently come down in price. As I would need 6 of them

Currently use 3 individual plug in RF remote controlled outlets by GE. With 3 more of the same by a different company. 20 bucks total for all 6. Christmas seasonal closeout.

1. Sub on/off
2. Sub wireless transmitter on/off
3. Lamp on/off
4. Modem on/off
5. Wireless router/hub on/off
6. Harmony hub on/off

Last would be a fan/light uses RF

Just need to find a RF bridge device. Something that accepts an IR signal input and outputs a RF signal.

Surprised harmany hasn't developed something like this. That has the abilty to learn RF commands from original remote. It could be a small box that the harmony hub sits on. Uses one of the IR blaster connections with a cable that connects from the harmony hub to the RF bridge box. To receive the IR signal comands and then outputs them as a RF signal. Hint, hint Harmony.........
Yeah, they are definitely a bit pricey if you'll be needing 6 of them!

I agree that if would be helpful for Harmony to include RF transmitter capability. That would almost certainly require us to update the hardware, though! But I guess that's the price of being relatively early adopters of technology!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #3663 of 4127 Old 01-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Member
 
mp3truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I am aware of those. Hoping they will evently come down in price. As I would need 6 of them

Currently use 3 individual plug in RF remote controlled outlets by GE. With 3 more of the same by a different company. 20 bucks total for all 6. Christmas seasonal closeout.

1. Sub on/off
2. Sub wireless transmitter on/off
3. Lamp on/off
4. Modem on/off
5. Wireless router/hub on/off
6. Harmony hub on/off

Last would be a fan/light uses RF

Just need to find a RF bridge device. Something that accepts an IR signal input and outputs a RF signal.

Surprised harmany hasn't developed something like this. That has the abilty to learn RF commands from original remote. It could be a small box that the harmony hub sits on. Uses one of the IR blaster connections with a cable that connects from the harmony hub to the RF bridge box. To receive the IR signal comands and then outputs them as a RF signal. Hint, hint Harmony.........
I agree that rf is something Harmony needs to add to the fold. Perhaps they are skipping it to go directly to wifi "smart switches" and the like.
mp3truck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3664 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Member
 
mp3truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question regarding activity setup. Is it possible to setup an activity such that the Harmony does not power on or off a device but does switch an input on it?

When I go through the setup for the activity and add the various devices, it automatically adds power on and power off functions for my Monoprice HDMI switch. I intend to leave the HDMI switch on all the time and just want a step in the activity to change the HDMI switch to a certain input when the activity starts and to switch it to a potentially different input when the activity ends.

Is it possible to do this? I'm not seeing any way to do it in the PC Harmony setup application.
mp3truck is offline  
post #3665 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3truck View Post
Question regarding activity setup. Is it possible to setup an activity such that the Harmony does not power on or off a device but does switch an input on it?

When I go through the setup for the activity and add the various devices, it automatically adds power on and power off functions for my Monoprice HDMI switch. I intend to leave the HDMI switch on all the time and just want a step in the activity to change the HDMI switch to a certain input when the activity starts and to switch it to a potentially different input when the activity ends.

Is it possible to do this? I'm not seeing any way to do it in the PC Harmony setup application.
For each Device, there is a 'Power' setting option, and one of these is to leave the Device on all the time. That hopefully will do what you want.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #3666 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3truck View Post
Question regarding activity setup. Is it possible to setup an activity such that the Harmony does not power on or off a device but does switch an input on it?
It does this for my TV and my pre-pro automatically with no special settings. Harmony knows if a device is on and will leave it on if it's used in the next activity.

Then there's a power setting that says leave the device always on, if that's what you want.

Then there's the other power setting that says leave it on unless you hit the power off button.
artur9 is offline  
post #3667 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Member
 
steviebstrummin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
I also recommend the remote. I use my phone only as a backup, when I can't locate the physical remote, but it's not a great experience for me with the numbers, the directional buttons, and the volume each on a different screen.


Note that this is only true with the Echo Dot. The original full size Echo does not have an output or have support for Bluetooth output. I have both units.

I originally tried stream to Bluetooth but I got consistent stuttering making it unusable. My Echo was connected to my WiFi 2.4 GHz network getting 24 Mbps throughout. Using the audio output directly, I was able to stream without problems. Are you able to stream to Bluetooth without stuttering and are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz wifi?
OK, now I'm totally confused.

Please clarify. Will I be able to stream music from my new Amazon Echo using my voice commands to my home theatre via a Harmony Hub using Blu Tooth technology over my WiFi?
steviebstrummin is offline  
post #3668 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Member
 
mp3truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
It does this for my TV and my pre-pro automatically with no special settings. Harmony knows if a device is on and will leave it on if it's used in the next activity.

Then there's a power setting that says leave the device always on, if that's what you want.

Then there's the other power setting that says leave it on unless you hit the power off button.
I'll have to do more testing because I swear it's turning my HDMI switch off when I end the "Watch FireStick" activity. It is possible that I hit the off button on the remote which would have turned everything off.

What I'm trying to accomplish is have Watch FireStick do:
Turn on TV (Everything comes into HDMI 1 so no change needed)
Turn on Sony Receiver for surround sound
Switch HDMI Switch to input 1 (Where FireStick is plugged in)

It seems to do that fine. Upon exit, I want it to:
Turn off TV
Turn off Sony Receiver
Switch HDMI Switch to input 2 (This is the DirecTV input and the only thing the wife watches)

The wife hates the surround and the Harmony so if I can do this, then she can just use the regular DirecTV remote to turn on the TV and DirecTV and use it with TV speakers as she always has.

Anyway, I'll do some tweaking and figure out what's happening for sure.

Edit:
OK, I think I got things worked out and found something that's kind of dumb in the Harmony setup. I set the Monoprice HDMI Switch to "I want to leave this device powered on all the time" in device settings.

However, under my activity in the Activity Shutdown Commands, It still lists Monoprice AV Switch Shutdown and it cannot be removed. It doesn't actually shut it down but it does list it in there. Pretty dumb that you can't remove that item from the startup and shutdown commands list. It's very confusing with it there.

Last edited by mp3truck; 01-10-2017 at 09:36 AM.
mp3truck is offline  
post #3669 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Member
 
mp3truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebstrummin View Post
OK, now I'm totally confused.

Please clarify. Will I be able to stream music from my new Amazon Echo using my voice commands to my home theatre via a Harmony Hub using Blu Tooth technology over my WiFi?
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do but the part about streaming music from the Amazon Echo I believe is a non-starter. The Echo only plays sound out of the built-in speaker as far as I know. It does not have the ability to connect to a device via bluetooth to transmit audio. It has the ability to have a device connect to it via bluetooth to playback audio.

The Echo Dot has the ability to connect to a device via bluetooth to transmit audio.
mp3truck is offline  
post #3670 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
I actually am doing exactly this with echo and harmony. I have smartthings, not google home, but somewhere along the way a "special" activity was discovered by alexa - turn all off... i trigger this in my "goodnight" routine on harmony - which is connected to the same keyword.

Fwiw... my kids usually just say "alexa, turn off the tv" and that does the right thing no matter what activity is running.



Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
With Alexa are you able to pause, turn up/down volume, ff, and rewind via voice command on all activities?
dazz87 is offline  
post #3671 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
With Alexa are you able to pause, turn up/down volume, ff, and rewind via voice command on all activities?
Yes.

It's documented here:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...h-amazon-alexa

Play/Pause "Alexa, tell Harmony to pause"
Skip Forward/Backward "Alexa, tell Harmony to skip forward"
Volume Up/Down "Alexa, tell Harmony to increase the volume"
Set a sleep timer "Alexa, tell Harmony to set a sleep timer for 15 minutes"
JudgeSmails likes this.
Audio Geek is offline  
post #3672 of 4127 Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
With Alexa are you able to pause, turn up/down volume, ff, and rewind via voice command on all activities?
No FF or RW on mine right now, but pause, play, vol all work. Need both apps.

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
Spinningbull is online now  
post #3673 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
leedesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I would like to remind everyone that if you are controlling your Harmony Hub with Alexa you need to have 2 skills added to you Alexa account. They are both for Harmony Hub but different color icons. One of them gives you the ability to just say "Alexa, tell harmony to lower the volume, or pause movie, etc..."

I believe the first skill allows you to access the activities you have set with your harmony but the second one lets you issue commands within any given activity without having to build a whole to run that one command, like turning up or down the volume.

Here is the description for the skill added Oct 16
Use Amazon Alexa with your Logitech Harmony hub-based remote to start and stop Harmony Activities. Use your voice to jump to your favorite TV station or directly into a Roku channel. For example, say "Alexa, turn on the TV" to power on your TV, AV receiver and cable box and set them all to the right inputs. You can also set up friendly names, allowing you to say "Alexa, turn on the Xbox" to trigger your Harmony Play Game Activity. This skill currently supports one Harmony hub and doesn't yet allow for adjusting volume or play/pause.

Try saying
"Alexa, turn on the TV"
"Alexa, turn on Netflix"
"Alexa, turn on the Discovery Channel"
"Alexa, turn on the Xbox"
"Alexa, turn off my entertainment center"

Amazon Alexa works with Logitech Harmony Elite, Harmony Companion and Harmony Hub; available at logitech.com/harmony
************************************************** ****

Here is the description for the skill added Dec 16
Description
Use Amazon Alexa with your Logitech Harmony hub-based remote to start and stop Harmony Activities, change channels, control volume, play/pause and set a sleep timer. Use your voice to jump to your favorite TV station or directly into a Roku channel. For example, say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on the TV" to power on your TV, AV receiver and cable box and set them all to the right inputs.

Try saying
Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on the TV
Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on Netflix
Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on the Discovery Channel
Alexa, tell Harmony to turn up the volume
Alexa, tell Harmony to pause my movie
Alexa, tell Harmony to set a sleep timer for 15 minutes

We recommend adding our Harmony Smart Home skill so you may turn on your TV or switch to Favorite channels without having to say “ask Harmony”. Search for the “Harmony — Optimized for Smart Home” skill. These skills support one Harmony Hub.

Amazon Alexa works with Logitech Harmony Elite, Harmony Companion and Harmony Hub; available at logitech.com/harmony

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub

Last edited by leedesert; 01-11-2017 at 07:35 AM.
leedesert is offline  
post #3674 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Can a harmony hub turn a wemo on and off with an activity?
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3675 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
leedesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Can a harmony hub turn a wemo on and off with an activity?
Short answer, no.

Do a search for Harmony Compatibility

or just use my link

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

You will need a compatible light hub like the Samsung smartthings.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
leedesert is offline  
post #3676 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 AM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Do u think someday it might work? Im working on a scenario where turning on this one device manually with my phone would be fine for a while, but would be nice to eventually have that feature.
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3677 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 AM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Actually nevermind, I found the perfect solution. I can long press a wemo switch to turn another wemo on and this will solve my issue.

The issue was I'm trying to figure out how to turn on a theater closet exhaust fan when the power plug is located in another room on the other side of the closet. This solution will work. Then if someday wemo and hamony get married I can just have the exhaust fan come on when the activity starts.
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3678 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Member
 
mp3truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Actually nevermind, I found the perfect solution. I can long press a wemo switch to turn another wemo on and this will solve my issue.

The issue was I'm trying to figure out how to turn on a theater closet exhaust fan when the power plug is located in another room on the other side of the closet. This solution will work. Then if someday wemo and hamony get married I can just have the exhaust fan come on when the activity starts.
Just a thought...Do you have a switched outlet on your receiver or amplifier that you could plug the fan into? Then it would come on when the device is powered.

Or do you want more control over it than that?
mp3truck is offline  
post #3679 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Well the problem is this, the theater closet sits back to back with a laundry room. The fan is in the wall between them so it sucks hot air out of the theater closet and pushes it into the laundry room. The fan I bought is pictured below and is designed to be plugged into an outlet. The problem is, the fans plug is located on the laundry room side, not the theater side. Currently I have a hole in the wall and run the cord back into the theater closet and wired it to the light so it actually comes on with the light.

But...

I have recently discovered that I am making a couple of code violations and my OCD has hit me big time to correct it. So my plan is to pull the wire back into the laundry room and plug it into an outlet like it was meant to be.

I have 2 options for control at that point, one being a wemo switch or replacing the fan with one designed to be hard wired and fish cables properly. I like option 1 because it's easier. If I have a wemo on the fan that will work fine, it would just be a bonus if the harmony could turn it on and off as well.

Last edited by drunkpenguin; 03-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3680 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
leedesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Well the problem is this, the theater closet sits back to back with a laundry room. The fan is in the wall between them so it sucks hot air out of the theater closet and pushes it into the laundry room. The fan I bought is pictured below and is designed to be plugged into an outlet. The problem is, the fans plug is located on the laundry room side, not the theater side. Currently I have a hole in the wall and run the cord back into the theater closet and wired it to the light so it actually comes on with the light.

But...

I have recently discovered that I am making a couple of code violations and my OCD has hit me big time to correct it. So my plan is to pull the wire back into the laundry room and plug it into an outlet like it was meant to be.

I have 2 options for control at that point, one being a wemo switch or replacing the fan with one designed to be hard wired and fish cables properly. I like option 1 because it's easier. If I have a wemo on the fan that will work fine, it would just be a bonus if the harmony could turn it on and off as well.
For $35 you can just get this and your done. It's compatible.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-DZPA1.../dp/B01GONGXQQ

I would consider getting a separate hub for your lights and switches that way you can isolate problems better and have greater compatibility as you add lights and switches. If I was going to pay $35 for the above switch I would rather pay $50 for the smart things hub and now have flexibility for the future plus be able to use my existing plugin switch.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub

Last edited by leedesert; 01-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.
leedesert is offline  
post #3681 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 AM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Sweet! I have a house full of wemo that we use Alexa with so I didn't even consider looking at another brand. This is perfect if it works with Harmony. Thanks!!
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3682 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 AM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
It says u need a home extender or something. I have Harmony Smart Control with Smartphone App and Simple All In One Remote. Do i need something else?
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3683 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Member
 
petaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have one thorn in my side about an issue with my harmony companion and the harmony hub setup. I have a "Prism" activity, which uses my receiver, cable box, and TV. There's no problem starting the activity. If a companion button is required to do something, say press "Guide" to bring up the channel guide, it takes some time.. minute or two or three.. before pressing the "Guide" button will actually bring up the guide. Once it starts working, it's good to go until I'm done and stop the activity. If some period of time passes before using it again, it may or may not have the same issue. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have an idea what's wrong?

Thanks,
Ed
petaylor is offline  
post #3684 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
It says u need a home extender or something. I have Harmony Smart Control with Smartphone App and Simple All In One Remote. Do i need something else?
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...tender?crid=60

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #3685 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
 
drunkpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
I guess I'm confused at why I need another piece of hardware for a Harmony hub to control a wemo or any other type of switch? Both devices are online so why is another piece of hardware needed?
drunkpenguin is offline  
post #3686 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Can a harmony hub turn a wemo on and off with an activity?
I have two wemo devices and Hub does not see them. Harmony hub does see my GE Zwave switches which i could add to any activity.
dazz87 is offline  
post #3687 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
yunlin12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
Yes.

It's documented here:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...h-amazon-alexa

Play/Pause "Alexa, tell Harmony to pause"
Skip Forward/Backward "Alexa, tell Harmony to skip forward"
Volume Up/Down "Alexa, tell Harmony to increase the volume"
Set a sleep timer "Alexa, tell Harmony to set a sleep timer for 15 minutes"
Tell Harmony to Mute/Unmute also works for me.
yunlin12 is offline  
post #3688 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
yunlin12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using Harmony smart remote and hub to control a Tivo Roamio. Tivo just updated their SW, one new feature is if you long press the B button on the Tivo remote, it will toggle Closed Caption. I know previously people have used macros on the Harmony remotes to toggle CC on Tivo, but this seems a much simpler way to go. However the problem I face is I can't seem to add this command to Harmony. It's not a listed command for Tivo in Harmony's database, and also when I try to teach it by pointing the Tivo remote at the hub and long press the B button, nothing happens. Anyone has any idea how to program this command?
yunlin12 is offline  
post #3689 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
Anyone has any idea how to program this command?
If you email customer support they will sometimes add commands to a remote's command set.
artur9 is offline  
post #3690 of 4127 Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Member
 
mp3truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
I'm using Harmony smart remote and hub to control a Tivo Roamio. Tivo just updated their SW, one new feature is if you long press the B button on the Tivo remote, it will toggle Closed Caption. I know previously people have used macros on the Harmony remotes to toggle CC on Tivo, but this seems a much simpler way to go. However the problem I face is I can't seem to add this command to Harmony. It's not a listed command for Tivo in Harmony's database, and also when I try to teach it by pointing the Tivo remote at the hub and long press the B button, nothing happens. Anyone has any idea how to program this command?
Which remote do you have? I found that programming by pointing the remote at the hub didn't work well.

When i plug my remote into my pc via USB and use the desktop harmony software, I can point the original remote at the Harmony remote and it learns the ir functions perfectly.
mp3truck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off