Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #3691 of 4188 Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3truck View Post
Which remote do you have? I found that programming by pointing the remote at the hub didn't work well.

When i plug my remote into my pc via USB and use the desktop harmony software, I can point the original remote at the Harmony remote and it learns the ir functions perfectly.
I'm using Harmony Smart Control with the hub and the simple all-in-one remote. The remote itself is not capable of IR, only the hub can read IR signal from other remote. I tried connecting the hub to my PC via USB cable, and using MyHarmony SW on the PC to try to add long press Tivo's B button, still nothing registers and the SW just sits and waits for input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4188 Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
I'm using Harmony Smart Control with the hub and the simple all-in-one remote. The remote itself is not capable of IR, only the hub can read IR signal from other remote. I tried connecting the hub to my PC via USB cable, and using MyHarmony SW on the PC to try to add long press Tivo's B button, still nothing registers and the SW just sits and waits for input
Ahh that sucks. As suggested, perhaps an email to Harmony support might bear results. TiVo is not an obscure product so someone else will be looking for that functionality, too.
post #3693 of 4188 Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Sometimes I have to say to myself "Keep it simple stupid!"

If anyone cares, I ended up buying this. It was 15 bucks. I'll mount the rf remote in the theater closet. It's just a fan after all. Maybe someday if Wemo and Harmony get married and live happily ever after without needing a threesome to talk to each other I'll redo it.
mp3truck and azz7686 like this.

Last edited by drunkpenguin; 03-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 4188 Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Weird issue, but I just place my Hub about 1 feet away from my Wireless Router and now some of my activities are not responding correctly. Denon receiver does not turn off or on. Move the hub 3 feet away (on the other side of the media cabinet) and it starts to work again.........
post #3695 of 4188 Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
Weird issue, but I just place my Hub about 1 feet away from my Wireless Router and now some of my activities are not responding correctly. Denon receiver does not turn off or on. Move the hub 3 feet away (on the other side of the media cabinet) and it starts to work again.........
In the PC software, try going into settings> Remote and Hub Assignments> Denon Make sure the Hub & Mini Blasters is selected.

I'm assuming you are using the IR extenders connected to the hub

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
post #3696 of 4188 Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Quote:
Wireless usually won't work very well at close range unless you have the ability to turn the transmitters down on the wireless cards. They blast each other too hot and desensitize the cards receivers. The best analogy I can think of is pretend your wife is yelling at you as loud as she can from 1 foot away (this might not be hard to imagine for some), but her voice would not be nearly as clear as it would be if she was speaking in a normal voice or at a greater distance.
post #3697 of 4188 Old 01-13-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3truck View Post
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do but the part about streaming music from the Amazon Echo I believe is a non-starter. The Echo only plays sound out of the built-in speaker as far as I know. It does not have the ability to connect to a device via bluetooth to transmit audio. It has the ability to have a device connect to it via bluetooth to playback audio.

The Echo Dot has the ability to connect to a device via bluetooth to transmit audio.
Thanks mp3truck
post #3698 of 4188 Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Apologies if this was covered previously but I couldn't find this specific use case I would really appreciate some help here. Long story short, I have an Arcam AVR-550 and Vizio M80 series (2016) TV connected via CEC/HDMI and using a Harmony Ultimate. 

Everything works flawlessly, except when I select my listen to music (sonos connect) activity, as the TV (correctly) turns off, which automatically turns off the Arcam AVR, as the CEC connection is telling it to follow the Vizio set being turned off. So whenever I want to listen to music, I have to manually go in and turn on the Arcam AVR.

I tried adding an additional step in the Music Activity to automatically turn the AVR on after a few seconds, but that function is not offered in additional settings (no power related functions are offered). 

Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated.

Also - This set has a built in "cast" function as an input that auto switches when a signal is sent to the Vizio. When I want to watch my DTV STB again, the harmony doesn't know to switch back to HDMI 1. Any thoughts on how to solve for that?

Thanks!
post #3699 of 4188 Old 01-22-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsss12 View Post
For the Harmony to work correctly it needs to absolutely control the state of the devices. That means no autoswitching of inputs or CEC. With either of those enabled then the "state of the world" does not always match what Harmony thinks the state is.

The best thing to do is to disable the autoswitching and CEC and configure the activities in the Harmony to put everything in the proper state to do what you want done.
mp3truck likes this.
post #3700 of 4188 Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. The challenge and the reason I want to keep CEC enabled is that the Vizio has a built in Cast function, so in my Watch TV activity, when I send a cast signal, it automatically switches to the cast input on the Vizio. Prior to enabling CEC, the Arcam would remain silent and I would have no sound as it was under the impression the DTV STB (which is not off) was still the active source. CEC solved that problem, and allows the Cast source signal to pass from the TV back to the Arcam perfectly but seemingly created a new problem now when I switch to an audio source that is not controlled by the TV.

Last edited by dsss12; 01-22-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #3701 of 4188 Old 01-23-2017, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The challenge and the reason I want to keep CEC enabled is that the Vizio has a built in Cast function, so in my Watch TV activity, when I send a cast signal, it automatically switches to the cast input on the Vizio. Prior to enabling CEC, the Arcam would remain silent and I would have no sound as it was under the impression the DTV STB (which is not off) was still the active source. CEC solved that problem, and allows the Cast source signal to pass from the TV back to the Arcam perfectly but seemingly created a new problem now when I switch to an audio source that is not controlled by the TV.
To try to offset the problem you are having using CEC control, try increasing the Power On delay of the device not switching properly, for it to wait enough time after powering on and enough time for CEC to happen before sending any input command.
post #3702 of 4188 Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately it did not work.

I am also having an issue with switching between cast and HDMI inputs on the Vizio TV. Has anyone wrestling with either of these issues and their Vizio/Harmony setup?

Thanks a ton for any insight.
post #3703 of 4188 Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Thanks for the idea, unfortunately it did not work.

I am also having an issue with switching between cast and HDMI inputs on the Vizio TV. Has anyone wrestling with either of these issues and their Vizio/Harmony setup?

Thanks a ton for any insight.
Once you switch to cast, it's not easy to get back to HDMI.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #3704 of 4188 Old 01-26-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it true that Alexa (Amazon) is able to control volume on your receiver via voice command with Harmony hub? I just got an echo dot and trying to figure how to control (turn up/down volume) on my Denon receive with Alexa. Do I have to create a new activity with Harmony in order to get this done? Thanks
post #3705 of 4188 Old 01-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Is it true that Alexa (Amazon) is able to control volume on your receiver via voice command with Harmony hub? I just got an echo dot and trying to figure how to control (turn up/down volume) on my Denon receive with Alexa. Do I have to create a new activity with Harmony in order to get this done? Thanks
Yes it's true. http://blog.logitech.com/2016/12/15/...-amazon-alexa/

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #3706 of 4188 Old 01-26-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
nice so we dont have to create another activity to get this to work? Just ask long as your receiver is part of that current activity? i was trying it last night, but it didnt work cause I was saying the wrong command. Need to say "Hey Alexa tell Harmony to turn up the volume"
post #3707 of 4188 Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay dont know what im doing wrong? When I ask "Alexa tell harmony to turn up the volume" the volume on the dot get turn up but not on my denon receiver. I turned on my projector and denon receiver with Alexa but the volume is not working. What am i doing wrong?
post #3708 of 4188 Old 01-27-2017, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Okay dont know what im doing wrong? When I ask "Alexa tell harmony to turn up the volume" the volume on the dot get turn up but not on my denon receiver. I turned on my projector and denon receiver with Alexa but the volume is not working. What am i doing wrong?
This is directly from the email Harmony's promotional team sent out on Jan 10, 2017, "To enable the ability to change the volume or pause a movie, this second skill needs to be installed. Search for "Harmony" in the Alexa skills store". There are two Harmony skills in the Alexa store. You have one, now you need to find the other skill and add it to Alexa. Scroll down the page on this link: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...0f82-147622377 and you'll see that Harmony has a blue and red skill in the Alexa store. You need both.
dazz87 and petaylor like this.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #3709 of 4188 Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is directly from the email Harmony's promotional team sent out on Jan 10, 2017, "To enable the ability to change the volume or pause a movie, this second skill needs to be installed. Search for "Harmony" in the Alexa skills store". There are two Harmony skills in the Alexa store. You have one, now you need to find the other skill and add it to Alexa. Scroll down the page on this link: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...0f82-147622377 and you'll see that Harmony has a blue and red skill in the Alexa store. You need both.
That was it! Thanks you! Now it control my volume and the other day got it work with Kodi (voice command) and I think Im finally set. Maybe its time my Google Home goes to the store.......
petaylor likes this.
post #3710 of 4188 Old 01-29-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Just got a 2nd gen Shield.

On question I have is, does it work with Logitech Hub remote? I added it to the hub but usually it walks you through connecting to the device with bluetooth if it isn't a ir device. But I didn't get that with the Shield.

Anyone know how to get it working?

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #3711 of 4188 Old 01-29-2017, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Just got a 2nd gen Shield.

On question I have is, does it work with Logitech Hub remote? I added it to the hub but usually it walks you through connecting to the device with bluetooth if it isn't a ir device. But I didn't get that with the Shield.

Anyone know how to get it working?
Guessing by your description of the device, you bought the 16Gb model (and the Pro model isn't SUPPOSED to be released until tomorrow) it doesn't have IR. You can find a device on Amazon called FLIRC. Plugs into one of the two USB ports. Some setup work but its been said to work great with the Hub.
post #3712 of 4188 Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG OLED65B6 and Harmony Ultimate

Hey friends, Apologize for not being able to read through all the prior posts but I bought a new LG OLED B6 and cannot get the Harmony Ultimate to power the damn thing on. I've used this remote for a number of TVs previously so I am not new to it. I made sure the model was entered properly and it seems to recognize the device but will not control it. Suggestions?
post #3713 of 4188 Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch View Post
Guessing by your description of the device, you bought the 16Gb model (and the Pro model isn't SUPPOSED to be released until tomorrow) it doesn't have IR. You can find a device on Amazon called FLIRC. Plugs into one of the two USB ports. Some setup work but its been said to work great with the Hub.
Thanks, So there's no way to add the Hub as a accessory in the shields settings?

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #3714 of 4188 Old 02-02-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Thanks, So there's no way to add the Hub as a accessory in the shields settings?
Sorry for the late reply and I'm not exactly sure how to parse your question. But no.

The Shield doesn't see the Hub at all, at least in my setup. Now, my Logitech Harmony Ultimate only uses IR, bought it the first year it came out. I don't know if Logitech has introduced Bluetooth into their newer stuff. Out of the box, all 4 models are controlled by Bluetooth via the Controller/Remote provided.

Both 2015 models and the 2017 Pro model maintains the IR connectivity. The 2017 16Gb dropped it (and removed the SDHC & microUSB ports) due to the downscaling of the overall size. If you add a FLIRC to the new 2017/16Gb model, the Hub controls the Shield (and loose one USB port in the process) via IR. NOTE: At this point in time, the Shields software doesn't support multiple HDDs attached via a multiport USB hub.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by Cat Scratch; 02-02-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Double Quote
post #3715 of 4188 Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch View Post
Sorry for the late reply and I'm not exactly sure how to parse your question. But no.

The Shield doesn't see the Hub at all, at least in my setup. Now, my Logitech Harmony Ultimate only uses IR, bought it the first year it came out. I don't know if Logitech has introduced Bluetooth into their newer stuff. Out of the box, all 4 models are controlled by Bluetooth via the Controller/Remote provided.

Both 2015 models and the 2017 Pro model maintains the IR connectivity. The 2017 16Gb dropped it (and removed the SDHC & microUSB ports) due to the downscaling of the overall size. If you add a FLIRC to the new 2017/16Gb model, the Hub controls the Shield (and loose one USB port in the process) via IR. NOTE: At this point in time, the Shields software doesn't support multiple HDDs attached via a multiport USB hub.

I hope that answers your question.
Thanks Cat Scratch. I found a way to do it.

post #3716 of 4188 Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For 2017 Shield

1. Launch the Harmony mobile app and connect to your Harmony hub.

2. Select MENU, then Harmony Setup > Add/Edit Devices & Activities > DEVICES

3. Select DEVICES and then press the ADD DEVICE button at the bottom of the screen.

4. Select SCAN FOR WI‑FI DEVICES and Harmony will search for Nvidia Shield devices on your home Wi‑Fi network.

5. Once added, Harmony will prompt you to create an Activity. Select Yes.

6. Continue through the series of questions to build your Watch Nvidia Shield Activity.

7. Once you have selected your devices and inputs, Harmony will prompt you to Bluetooth pair Harmony and Nvidia Shield.

a. Using your Nvidia Shield controller, navigate to the home screen.
b. Select Settings > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices > Other Bluetooth Devices > Add Bluetooth Device.
c. Harmony and Nvidia Shield should pair after several seconds.

This Method worked the best for me, adding the Shield to my Harmony Hub.

Link:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-pl/...-nvidia-shield

post #3717 of 4188 Old 02-03-2017, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 715
For those interested in the Logitech Harmony Smart Remote, which normally sells for $129.99, Best Buy has it today for $69.99.

I use this to control my lights and reasonably complex Home Theater, and it works quite well!

Just FYI.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #3718 of 4188 Old 02-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 132
***Dumb Question Alert***

What are the differences between the Harmony Elite and the Harmony Ultimate? (Newest models)

Oh and what about some of the less expensive models of both lines? Seems like the less expensive versions are older? I also noticed that it seemed like some of the older models are LOS and not RF?

Thanks.
post #3719 of 4188 Old 02-12-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
For those interested in the Logitech Harmony Smart Remote, which normally sells for $129.99, Best Buy has it today for $69.99.

I use this to control my lights and reasonably complex Home Theater, and it works quite well!

Just FYI.

Don
Don I actually did end up buying the deal you mentioned and I have it setup to my basic functions. My setup is very minimal; a 5.1 HT system that has a Denon AVR 791 receiver, a roku, a chromecast, a rasp pi and a xbox.

I do have a question, my wife likes to listen to a particular radio station and to do so I have added it to the TuneIn app on Roku. Its the only station that I have programmed on the TuneIn app.

I want to program a activity so that the app opens and that particular station starts playing. To do this I have tried to add a roku activity and then set the start the TuneIn app. This part works well but I cannot get it the app to start playing the station. I even tried to add steps like 'go down' and 'ok' to execute the roku commands but this does not seem to work. Lastly to add a roku activity the TV needs to be turned on but for this I really do not need the TV, is there a way to add a roku activity and with the TV turned off?

Thanks!
post #3720 of 4188 Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadeshgandhi View Post
Don I actually did end up buying the deal you mentioned and I have it setup to my basic functions. My setup is very minimal; a 5.1 HT system that has a Denon AVR 791 receiver, a roku, a chromecast, a rasp pi and a xbox.

I do have a question, my wife likes to listen to a particular radio station and to do so I have added it to the TuneIn app on Roku. Its the only station that I have programmed on the TuneIn app.

I want to program a activity so that the app opens and that particular station starts playing. To do this I have tried to add a roku activity and then set the start the TuneIn app. This part works well but I cannot get it the app to start playing the station. I even tried to add steps like 'go down' and 'ok' to execute the roku commands but this does not seem to work. Lastly to add a roku activity the TV needs to be turned on but for this I really do not need the TV, is there a way to add a roku activity and with the TV turned off?

Thanks!
What you're wanting to do is theoretically possible, but could be difficult to execute. You "should" be able to program the same steps you take when you're doing it manually, as a Harmony 'Sequence' - I assume that's what you're referring to when you speak of adding steps like 'go down' and 'ok' but if not, please clarify.

Sometimes the timing of the execution of the various steps makes a difference in terms of it getting executed properly. So, in some of my sequences and actions, I have to add delays of varying amounts of time, to let whichever device it's controlling 'catch up' so to speak. This might be as brief as one second, but sometimes, I need to give it 10 to 20 seconds (my JVC Projector has very long HDMI hand-shake times, so I have to wait for that to complete before it's ready to take another command). So there may just be some trial and error in getting this to work.

Once it's set up properly, it should execute without the TV being on. You might need a command, like hitting the Roku Home button, to 'wake' it up. Also, make sure your Roku has a power that is on constantly, not one of the TV's USB ports, which would often require the TV to be on to allow the Roku to power up.

Hope this helps a little, anyways!

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page