JVC RS40/X3 Remote Control Port - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have any technical information on how to use the "Remote Control" port on the back of the JVC RS40/X3 projector? I currently have a Xantech connector block that I use to control my Denon equipment and it works fine. However, it does not work with the JVC projector. I contacted Xantech and they said their product is not compatible with any projectors (pin outs and voltage incompatibility).

What kind of setup is required to use a hard wire connection to the JVC for remote control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM
DGF

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have you seen this doc? http://support.jvc.com/consumer/support/documents/DILAremoteControlGuide.pdf - it contains a little more info on IR, serial and IP control of the RS40.

I don't know about the specific pin-outs the Xantech uses, but IR is usually a very simple 2 or 3 wire config. IIRC one of the big differences is that the Xantech units put out 12volts, versus the usual 3-5v used by everyone else. There are a couple of converters on SmartHome, showing that it's just a 2-wire connection, but I don't think they're of any use to you (and require additional hardware).

Have you thought about just going 'airborne'? You could locate a wired emitter from the Xantech close to the JVC - it's not as neat as a wired physical connection, but does work very effectively.

As an aside, I think I read that if the RS40 detects that IR port is being used, it ignores commands from the standard remote control unit, which may or may not be a desirable thing.

Dave
post #3 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is what the Xantech engineer sent me...
"My name is Danny and I am happy to help. We do not support the IR port on any projectors you will need to use an IR emitter. The issue that you are having is that the pin out and voltage between our block and the projector are different in return its shorting out the IR port. The Denon is an supported device and that’s why it is working there. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us back at any time."

After calling JVC I think I finally got the name of an engineer who can tell me what to use with that plug. However, he isn't available until later this week. The JVC user manual actually shows an "external infrared sensor (sold separately)" being plugged in there. I don't really need to know codes since I'm just using the JVC remote (actually a Harmony). It's really odd that it isn't as simple as plugging in a cable from the Xantech like I do with my Denon 3808 AVR and 3800 BD Player. Using the hard wire is a nice clean arrangement but yeah, if all else fails I'll probably run an emitter to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
DGF

The JVC, like most equipment, isn't set up to handle Xantech's proprietary IR feed - you just lucked-out with your Denon units.

There was a previous AVS thread - https://www.avsforum.com/t/1397348/hard-wiring-ir-emitter-to-components - that partially addresses what you need to know [the thread degenerates a bit towards the end, but it does contain some good info] Depending on how comfortable you are with DIY, maybe you could ping the OP of that thread and ask if he made progress?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I bought the Xantech as part of their package that included emitters. But the emitters are certainly not as nice as a hard-wired plug directly into the back of the unit. Perhaps I did get lucky with the Denon working with the Xantech!

Let me put it this way: What equipment would I need to purchase to "correctly" use the hard-wire remote input on my X3 and the remote inputs on my Denon equipment without having to rely on luck?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #7 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually, If you look at the manual for that Xantech 79410 interface block (http://www.xantech.com/files/manuals/94_794_797.pdf), it says this...

"DIRECT CONNECTED PRODUCTS
The products listed in Table 3 do not need an Interface Module. Simply connect the serial IN jacks (Network IN, Control IN, IR IN, etc.) on these products directly to an emitter output port on Xantech Connecting Blocks using an INTERFACE CABLE as listed."

Denon is listed in table 3. Xantech blocks are designed to do direct connect to a list of products. Unfortunately, JVC is not in that list, and not in the list that the 79410 is able to interface to using the dip switches.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
DGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Maybe this is what I'm looking for...

http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infrared/ConnectingBlocks/79410/

...don't think so...it still uses the 12v Xantech configuration.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called JVC support was able to get a hold of an engineer for the X3. He told me about an extender available on eBay. He also sent me a hand-drawn schematic...

"Hi Dan,
Thanks for your call.
Here is the remote extender on E-Bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330956572394?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Attached is the diagram. A few notes on the diagram: It includes a protection circuit to prevent damage to IR receiver IC in case someone plugs it into a 12V device.
An additional polarity changer. Some projectors have different polarity. One foot cable with jack and socket wired to reverse polarity."

I decided to buy that extender to try it out. Perhaps this info on the extender will offer some clues (for someone more electronics knowledgeable than me) on how to integrate the JVC into an existing IR system.

Schematic: JVC Remote extender.pdf 272k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVC Remote extender.pdf (272.3 KB, 216 views)
post #10 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 AM
DGF

I think the hand-drawn scematic is exactly what has been missing for everyone thinking about a "Xantech-to-rest-of-the-world" adapter. It's a very simple circuit - I couldn't work out if it's your intent to make it, or just use the cable you bought on eBay as an regular extender? You've come this far, why not go for it?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page