RF for Comcast remotes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is possibly redundant with some other threads but I couldn’t find the specific answer I needed. I have three HDMI output devices in a central location (2 Comcast boxes and a DVD player) going to 4 remote TVs using a 4x4 HDMI matrix over cat5 wiring. The remote HDMI matrix devices have IR receivers which transmit the signal over cat5 back to the central location where IR emitters are supposed to control the IR devices. I have been going nuts trying to get the two Comcast remotes to work. My DVD remote works perfectly from any TV location. With careful positioning of the IR emitters on the cable boxes and careful adjustment of the signal strength on the matrix equipment I got the Comcast remotes working for one day and then they mysteriously stopped working. I have tried numerous brands of emitters with the Comcast boxes. Any insight as to why Comcast devices are such a problem would be great but I am now looking at IR-RF-IR solutions which bring me to NextGen products.

I know the NextGen Plus has two frequencies and the NextGen Genius has 5. I also know that to control each Comcast box separately I would need two systems, each on a different frequency. However the Genius is much more expensive so I would prefer the Plus if it would actually work. I saw some mention that Comcast boxes need the 433 MHz version but why would it matter what frequency the RF is when the box is controlled by IR? Does it seem that two Plus systems, each at a different frequency, would successfully control my Comcast cable boxes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Correct about the frequency. Two will do what you need, as long as you keep the IR side isolated.

Could be anything causing your IR interference, but taped on emitters will fix that.

However, if you boxes are XMP protocol, that can throw many repeaters for a loop. What cable box setup code do you use in your comcast remote? (See the wiki in my signature for code blink back instructions).
post #3 of 5 Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

From what I can tell, the boxes are XMP protocol. Will the NextGen Plus be able to generate the necessary XMP signal from the remote?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I can't find the code blink back instructions in your wiki but I'm not sure what I would do with the information. I don't want a universal remote, I just want the Comcast remote signals to reliably control the centrally located boxes.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Code blink back is on the Manual Instructions page. I wanted your code to confirm whether you were using XMP or not. I'm not suggesting you get a different remote. But I can't guarantee Next Gen will work with XMP. You'll just have to try it and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page