AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Actually the software runs in a web browser. When you open your account in the software, you're actually loading it from the web server. So your changes are being made live on the server. A USB connection to the remote is of no use if the software isn't online.
the software is a 32bit executable on windows. it pulls in data from your logitech account. i have no idea if the software is a web based application or a c++ application or whatever, but it certainly doesn't run in a standard web browser (i.e. not chrome, edge, firefox, opera, etc...). Not that it really matters.

I am fully aware that it gets and stores data on logitech's server. that's why I said POSSIBLY. I couldn't remember if the app forced you to be online the entire time.

The desktop application CAN push things via USB direct to the remote, but you're correct that it requires a live internet connection.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 5396 Old 02-04-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post
But the remote can communicate with devices via IR. The hub will communicate to devices via bluetooth, WiFi and IR.
we know. that's not what we were discussing. and what was written there came from logitech's website.

post #3303 of 5396 Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Could you provide a link to the above statements from harmonys website. Thank you.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...ioning-harmony
m_snow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 5396 Old 02-04-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbusby View Post

thanks for posting this since my post containing it was apparently deemed condescending...

post #3305 of 5396 Old 02-04-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3283 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Problem is RF is a very general term which also includes wifi frequencies. FCC documents show that Harmony hub based remotes use RF 2.4GHz, same frequency as certain wifi bands. What is unknown is the protocol Harmony uses between hub and remote.
https://fccid.io/JNZNR0010
tanman and bp787 like this.
post #3306 of 5396 Old 02-04-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Pretty sure that NOne of the harmony hubs use RF signals to communicate with their “paired” remotes. They all use blutooth. That is why you have to pair a remote with the hub when adding a new remote.

All current harmony remotes with hubs send output signals out via IR, blutooth or wifi to control individual components.

The only harmony I know that had RF output was the 1100.

This is documented on harmony’s website. If you can show me otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to be able to control some RF wall plugs I have with my harmony hub.

This is why you have to bring the remote to within blutooth range of the hub for them to sync with each other. The hub syncs wirelessly via internet to your account.

Good luck......
Actually pretty sure that ALL of the current Harmony hub based remotes use RF for communication between the handheld remote and the hub...just sayin.
bp787 likes this.

Mark
post #3307 of 5396 Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Problem is RF is a very general term which also includes wifi frequencies. FCC documents show that Harmony hub based remotes use RF 2.4GHz, same frequency as certain wifi bands. What is unknown is the protocol Harmony uses between hub and remote.
https://fccid.io/JNZNR0010
very true. RF is a very broad term. many people use the term in reference to things like walkie talkies, cordless phones, etc... but specifically call out bluetooth and wifi as separate things even though they are RF as well.

post #3308 of 5396 Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Thanks for all the feedback about syncing. I'm running the My Harmony standalone application on an iMac. I had the elite connected to learn some keys from a remote not in Logitech's database, so then I hit sync with it connected, which would not work until I moved the hub in the same room.

When I did the sync and it couldn't find the hub (before moving it into the same room) it asked if I wanted to continue without the hub (which I thought meant it would sync the remote, but then I could do the hub later from the remote), but then still tried to connect to the hub so the sync failed.

Next time I'll try disconnecting the remote (instead of syncing by cable) and see if it syncs the remote/hub when I initiate the sync directly from the remote.
post #3309 of 5396 Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I have my Harmony Elite up and running in my master bedroom system. All the gear is set up in a rack in the walk-in closet, I installed an AC outlet up above the cabinetry directly across from the equipment rack to plug-in the hub, I installed a recessed TV mount in the room and BG Radia in-wall speakers are installed in the room, so everything looks great with no visible wires.

Only problem is that I can't use Google Home voice control commands or the Harmony app to control the TV. The TV is controlled exclusively by the remote itself.

My Question: If I use the method to extend the IR mini-blaster with the Monoprice extenders to run a mini blaster up into the attic and then down into the in-wall recessed TV mount where the active HDMI cable runs, can an IR mini-blaster typically control a TV from behind the TV?

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #3310 of 5396 Old 02-08-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I have my Harmony Elite up and running in my master bedroom system. All the gear is set up in a rack in the walk-in closet, I installed an AC outlet up above the cabinetry directly across from the equipment rack to plug-in the hub, I installed a recessed TV mount in the room and BG Radia in-wall speakers are installed in the room, so everything looks great with no visible wires.

Only problem is that I can't use Google Home voice control commands or the Harmony app to control the TV. The TV is controlled exclusively by the remote itself.

My Question: If I use the method to extend the IR mini-blaster with the Monoprice extenders to run a mini blaster up into the attic and then down into the in-wall recessed TV mount where the active HDMI cable runs, can an IR mini-blaster typically control a TV from behind the TV?

it's possible, but more than likely you will need to adhere the IR blaster to the IR receiver of the TV or at least somewhere the IR signals can get out from behind the tv and bounce around the room (which is how the hub works).

You will also need to reconfigure the system to use the IR emitter instead of the Remote, but you're probably already aware of this.

post #3311 of 5396 Old 02-08-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post

Temporarily try placing the IR emitter on the top of the cabinet door to see it that reliably controls the TV. If it does then you may be able to permanently place it there be running the cable through the wall, etc. This will eliminate having to run an extension cable.
post #3312 of 5396 Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys, having some issues when trying to incorporate my Lutron Maestro dimmer into an activity with the Harmony Elite.

The only option it gives me in the start up sequence is to turn the lights on.

However, I want to be able to turn them off in the starting sequence. I tried to alter the default command and could not. I tried adding a separate "power off" command and I can do that, but the Elite places it before the "power on" in sequence and will not let me change the order.

And the shut down sequence is in reverse. It defaults to powering off the lights when I really want to turn them on.

Surely there has to be a way to have components power of in the start up sequence and turn back on in the shut down sequence, yes?
post #3313 of 5396 Old 02-12-2019, 05:53 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Hey guys, having some issues when trying to incorporate my Lutron Maestro dimmer into an activity with the Harmony Elite.

The only option it gives me in the start up sequence is to turn the lights on.

However, I want to be able to turn them off in the starting sequence. I tried to alter the default command and could not. I tried adding a separate "power off" command and I can do that, but the Elite places it before the "power on" in sequence and will not let me change the order.

And the shut down sequence is in reverse. It defaults to powering off the lights when I really want to turn them on.

Surely there has to be a way to have components power of in the start up sequence and turn back on in the shut down sequence, yes?
Maybe you can change the "power settings" for the Lutron device to tell the Harmony to leave it on all the time. Then it won't turn it on or off automatically with Activity changes or power downs, but you should still be able to issue discreet commands to the Lutron.
post #3314 of 5396 Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
If that's the requirement, why don't you just reverse the actual commands sent... i.e, in the Power Settings for the Lutron device change the Power On command to "AllLightsOff" instead of the default "AllLightsOn", and vice versa for the Power off Commands? Both commands are available from the existing pull-down list in the device power settings.

Device Settings > Power Settings > I want to turn off this device... > I press two different buttons... > Power Settings

Once you're in the Power Settings, Select 'Power On Commands', click on the Edit icon, then select the opposite command in the pull-down box. Do the same for Power Off Commands, then click Finish.

This should reverse the on/off behavior of your Lutron device.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
post #3315 of 5396 Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Im thinking about making a move to an Elite from a 1100 that i just got to do everything i need. My system is very complicated, will all my commands transfer over, i would expect some issues of cours

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #3316 of 5396 Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4061 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Im thinking about making a move to an Elite from a 1100 that i just got to do everything i need. My system is very complicated, will all my commands transfer over, i would expect some issues of cours
Generally, all of the devices and activities should make the transfer. Custom commands, learned commands or macros will not make the trip. You should expect to get the default screen and buttons.

The MyHarmony software should allow you to have both remotes active at the same time so you can continue using the old while you set up the new.
post #3317 of 5396 Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Quote:
If that's the requirement, why don't you just reverse the actual commands sent... i.e, in the Power Settings for the Lutron device change the Power On command to "AllLightsOff" instead of the default "AllLightsOn", and vice versa for the Power off Commands? Both commands are available from the existing pull-down list in the device power settings.

Device Settings > Power Settings > I want to turn off this device... > I press two different buttons... > Power Settings

Once you're in the Power Settings, Select 'Power On Commands', click on the Edit icon, then select the opposite command in the pull-down box. Do the same for Power Off Commands, then click Finish.

This should reverse the on/off behavior of your Lutron device.
That worked like a charm. Thanks very much!
post #3318 of 5396 Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
Generally, all of the devices and activities should make the transfer. Custom commands, learned commands or macros will not make the trip. You should expect to get the default screen and buttons.

The MyHarmony software should allow you to have both remotes active at the same time so you can continue using the old while you set up the new.
So, follow the setup and adjust later

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #3319 of 5396 Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
So, follow the setup and adjust later
If you are not using the migration route then follow the setup guide and also use the "search for devices" which allow any devices that are IP enabled to be controlled that way rather than by IR. You could make this change later but it requires a bit of work.
post #3320 of 5396 Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
If you are not using the migration route then follow the setup guide and also use the "search for devices" which allow any devices that are IP enabled to be controlled that way rather than by IR. You could make this change later but it requires a bit of work.

IP is not always better than IR on some devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3321 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Question for Marantz/Oppo owners

Although the DAC in my new Marantz 8805 is excellent, I also have an Oppo UDP-205 that I want to use the DAC in that unit on occasion for CDs. To do that, I use FR, FL, and Sub RCA cables to the 7.1 ins of the 8805, and then switch the input from HDMI to 7.1. I have been able to create that startup activity on the Elite. Here's the problem: for the shutdown sequence, I need to restore the input to HDMI, and I can't figure that out. Anyone have an idea?
post #3322 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Device swap

My Marantz 8805 replaced my 8802A, similar but of course not identical. Is there a way to swap the 8805 for the 8802A in the Elite, or will I need to add the 8805 and then replace it instead of the 8802A in every acttivity?
post #3323 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
Although the DAC in my new Marantz 8805 is excellent, I also have an Oppo UDP-205 that I want to use the DAC in that unit on occasion for CDs. To do that, I use FR, FL, and Sub RCA cables to the 7.1 ins of the 8805, and then switch the input from HDMI to 7.1. I have been able to create that startup activity on the Elite. Here's the problem: for the shutdown sequence, I need to restore the input to HDMI, and I can't figure that out. Anyone have an idea?
I suggest just leaving the activity with the HDMI input selected. Then program a hard or soft button with the command to switch inputs.
Alternatively you need to create 2 separate activities.
post #3324 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
My Marantz 8805 replaced my 8802A, similar but of course not identical. Is there a way to swap the 8805 for the 8802A in the Elite, or will I need to add the 8805 and then replace it instead of the 8802A in every acttivity?
Most likely those 2 use the same commands, so there may not be any need to change the devices at all. If the 8805 has a few special or different commands that the 8802 does not, just teach them to the Harmony.
post #3325 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone figured out a way for the elite to control an xfinity dvr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3326 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
What specific issue are you running into? I've been using the Elite with a Comcast/Xfinity DVR for years and haven't seen any issues (except for the issue of not having discreet power on and power off commands, which is a pain, but can be worked around). I'm not using the voice-activated Xfinity stuff though, I'm still on the older version.

Last edited by pjp; 02-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #3327 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

I was having issues controlling an Xfinity Xg1v4 box. I emailed Logitech support with the details of my problem and they created a new activity for me. Took about 24 hours and all I had to do was sync the remote in the Harmony app. You might want to give it a try.
post #3328 of 5396 Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
It's really not as tedious as it sounds. Well maybe it is, but it's really not that difficult. I replaced a (quite old) Denon with a new one, and besides the simple change to each activity, I got to get rid of some hacks I had in place to make newer stuff work with the old Denon. Oh and I did have to change many of the inputs from the old receiver to the new one, as a lot of the new ones were called something else. (Using MyHarmony on a Mac, fwiw.) Kind of refreshing actually.

In your case the age discrepancy between your Marantzes may not mean having to do much else, especially if the inputs more or less have the same names.
post #3329 of 5396 Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
I was having issues controlling an Xfinity Xg1v4 box. I emailed Logitech support with the details of my problem and they created a new activity for me. Took about 24 hours and all I had to do was sync the remote in the Harmony app. You might want to give it a try.

This is the box I have. Are you using one of the ir receivers?

post #3330 of 5396 Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
This is the box I have. Are you using one of the ir receivers?

I'm using one of the IR extenders and have it situated right in front of the box. It will not respond to reflected signals from the hub, at least in my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page