pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
It also needs to be said the Elite can control other smart devices, key one is lights.
I added Lutron caseta lights and having total control on the remote is a game changer.
Turn the HT on, certain lights go on at %.
Play game, have lights on at %.
Watch a movie, only riser lip lights on.
Exit movie, dim lights come on.
Can’t do that with a 890.

Added, this kills the grafik eye also, a older $800-$1000 light controller solution, that’s a huge thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no comparison to what you have, but for controlling a single set of overhead lights, Lutron's IR dimmer works really nicely with any IR Harmony: https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-600-wa...gateway&sr=8-5

There is one "preset" ligthing level that you can set to have the Harmony automatically dim to movie level (in addition to full on/full off), and you have normal bright/dim/on/off controls. A couple of caveats: 1) it does not work with LED/CFL lights; 2) you can only have one in a room (they only have one flavor of IR codes as far as I can tell). Again, nowhere near as sophisticated as your system, but a very nice solution if you only have one set of (non-LED) lights to control. I don't like how LED overheads look with the projector, so that's the only place I still have incandescents in the house.
mtbdudex likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 5181 Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I’m having a bizarre issue with my home theatre setup, I used the harmony one with this system for several years and the issue just started happening after I moved to my new house, I didn’t change absolutely anything in the system as far as adding a new component or modifying the settings on my harmony one remote whatsoever..

I use my EC9300 OLED TV’s built in channel tuner to get local hd channels using a QAM tuner, I get about 5 hd local channels which is good enough for me but the tuner also found a whole bunch of other crappy and non functional channels During the channel scan but It used to be a non issue as I just watched any one of the 5 local hd channels that I care about and would never manually switch to the non functional channels so it was never an issue but the issue I’m having right now is that when the entire home theatre system is off and I click “ Watch hdtv” activity on my harmony one, as the activity is started and the tv and my avr are turned on and the proper inputs are selected, there seems to be another command being sent out by the harmony to the tv which CHANGES the channel to some random channel (a non functional channel that isn’t even working) and i then need to switch back to one of the 5 hd channels I actually want to watch and this happens every time I start up the system. I looked up the startup sequence in the harmony software and it’s straightforward there (as I expected because I haven’t changed anything), the harmony one is programmed to turn on and send “TV” input command to the lg OLED tv to set it to tv mode and the avr to the proper input,

What could possibly be causing this? If I start the system using a different activity such as “Watch Apple TV” and if I do “Watch HDTV “ from there the random channel change does not occur, It it only when I start up the system using the watch hdtv activity.

I’m clueless as to what’s causing this, the only way i have found to combat this issue so far is to manually Add an extra command of “channelPrev” to the watch hdtv activity in order to basically switch back to the proper functioning tv channel once the tv is turned on and that random channel switch occurs.

When I watch hdtv, and I turn off the system, the next time I turn on the system the same channel should be on screen but the darn harmony remote SWITCHES the channel to some random non functional channel from the TV guide lineup and I need to manually switch back to one of the 5 channels I want to watch. This is absurd. I tried deleting these non functional channels from the lineup of channels in Lg’s channel settings page but they don’t allow it.

When I turn on the system using the tv’s original remote this problem doesn’t occur so it’s not a problem with the tv, I bought a harmony 950 (Which is basically a harmony elite minus the hub) as well thinking my harmony one was perhaps defective but the harmony 950 does the exact same thing upon “Watch Hdtv” activity startup. (I migrated my harmony settings entirely from the harmony one to the 950)

I’ve I tried placing my hand in front of the harmony remote right towards the end of the Watch TV Start Activity Sequence after it turned on the tv and avr and the proper inputs were set and the random channel switch does NOT occour so I know for certain that some signal is sent out from the harmony to the LG oled tv that causes it to change to some random non functional channel and it’s driving me insane. I tried deleting the watch hdtv activity in the myharmony computer software and re creating the watch hdtv activity from scratch and the same issue occurs, I did not try deleting the ec9300 OLED tv from the devices menu and re adding the tv to the devices menu.

The startup sequence of the Watch HDTv activity is as simple as it gets

“turn OLED TV On
turn Onkyo AVR On
Set LG OLED Tv to “TV”
Set AVR to CBL/Sat”

I manually added a “ChannelPrev” command to the end of that sequence now to combat this insane issue I’m having so that at least when the tv changes to the random channel on startup the “ChannelPrev” command basically forces the tv to go back to the channel that it turned on with in the first place which would have been one of the desired 5 local hd channels that I’m watching on a normal basis

“Simplink” is turned off on the LG OLED TV and HDMI control (CEC) is turned off on the Onkyo NR818 AVR, that was one the first things i suspected to check for when I first noticed the issue. I'm clueless at this point and id be greatly appreciated if someone can help me
post #3363 of 5181 Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5045 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
Quote:
Over the years, well since 2008, I’ve had the 880, the 890, the Elite, and recently a few 650’s and a 665 for my in-laws place that I’m tech guy for.

Yea, I loved my 2008 880 for years till it died, I even fixed its buttons and posted that here . Got the 890 as replacement for it, till it died, then a Elite. That’s for basement dedicated room HT.

The 650/665 are simpler and line of sight IR works fine.

My Elite works in 2nd floor thru log walls into loft, no issues on that. Like others said sure 2 IR ports suck, I used 2 Y adapters. Having Bluetooth in the hub is nice for my 2008 PS3 also, got rid of that Canadian box I bought back in 2008.
Yeah, I think the 880 was my favorite and longest lasting Harmony remote I ever owned. When mine stopped working I went online to see if I could find a used one and found one that was only slightly used and then I used that one for a while. I now have the Elite, Home Companion, Smart Control and 700 in various rooms of the house.
pjp likes this.

lujan
645 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

I hope someone can help me with the following I could not find.

I have an Oppo 203. I wanted to program subtitle shift, which in the Oppo remote is programmed as: hold the subtitle button a few seconds.
I have tried several ways to get this programmed in the Elite, but I am not successfull, still.

Does someone in this forum know how to program, when you need to hold the button longer.
I tried:
- holding the button, and assign that to a new button
- program a series, by putting the same button multiple times

Thanks in advance.
Mark
post #3365 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
Hi,

I have an Oppo 203. I wanted to program subtitle shift, which in the Oppo remote is programmed as: hold the subtitle button a few seconds.
I have tried several ways to get this programmed in the Elite, but I am not successfull, still.

Does someone in this forum know how to program, when you need to hold the button longer.
I tried:

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Each button on the Elite can be programmed for a different function for long and short press. Normally in a scenario like you describe you need to go in and make sure that the button has the same function (in your case I guess "subtitle") defined for both long and short press.

Mark
post #3366 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
Hi,

I tried:

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Program a hard button with that command, and make sure its set to both the short press and long press. Does that not work?
Otherwise try learning the long press using the Oppo remote.
post #3367 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Use the app or alexa instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
looks like the Harmony 890 I have is true RF and 100 foot range. The Elite is 30 feet. That's pathetic. Must be using Bluetooth to the base. With the rest of the remotes short falls, this is the one that is the deal breaker for me. The 890 has just enough range for my house, so the Elite won't work at all.
Dude, the problem with the Eilte is only the fact that you’re trying to use it like an 890. My Elite remote stays downstairs with my theater seats. If im upstairs in the kitchen i just have alexa or google home comtol items by voice command. Or if i need to, i just open the harmony app on my phone and run activities that way. The alexa and harmony app both use wifi so you can be anywhere in the house. I think its completely unnecessary to bring a universal remote around the entire house. And as a benefit, im never looking for where my remote is.
post #3368 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 09:32 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
Dude, the problem with the Eilte is only the fact that you’re trying to use it like an 890. My Elite remote stays downstairs with my theater seats. If im upstairs in the kitchen i just have alexa or google home comtol items by voice command. Or if i need to, i just open the harmony app on my phone and run activities that way. The alexa and harmony app both use wifi so you can be anywhere in the house. I think its completely unnecessary to bring a universal remote around the entire house. And as a benefit, im never looking for where my remote is.
I don't think his "problem" is that he is trying to use an Elite like an 890, but rather that he expected, as is entirely reasonable to expect, that a later model top-of-the-line remote would perform at least as well as a much older model. He is learning that the Elite doesn't do that apparently. Any time the latest top-of-the-line remote performs worse in some respect than a much older model, it is disappointing.
post #3369 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone tell me how to do this please? I have a harmony elite. I have configured a watch netflix activity (custom and not set up through the default watch netflix activitiies). The activity works correctly but I can't seem to figure out how to have the touch screen buttons swicth to the amazon fire stick remote screen. I also have a roku activity which will always set the touch screen remote buttons to the roku buttons at the end of the activity but I can't get it to do that when using netflix. I've tried numerous orders, tried the using the 'watch netflix' type activity on the desktop app but I can't get it to worik.

I would just like to start the activity to watch netflix, have it change the inputs and such and then display the netflix remote buttons on the screen w/o me having to then go to devices to select the netflix controls.

Thanks.
post #3370 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahAce View Post
Can someone tell me how to do this please? I have a harmony elite. I have configured a watch netflix activity (custom and not set up through the default watch netflix activitiies). The activity works correctly but I can't seem to figure out how to have the touch screen buttons swicth to the amazon fire stick remote screen. I also have a roku activity which will always set the touch screen remote buttons to the roku buttons at the end of the activity but I can't get it to do that when using netflix. I've tried numerous orders, tried the using the 'watch netflix' type activity on the desktop app but I can't get it to worik.

I would just like to start the activity to watch netflix, have it change the inputs and such and then display the netflix remote buttons on the screen w/o me having to then go to devices to select the netflix controls.

Thanks.
I’m not 100% sure I understand exactly what you want but when you select your NetFlix activity all the hard buttons (transport controls and so forth) should all be set to control your FireTV device. As far as the soft buttons on the touch screen, you can set them to whatever commands you want. To determine which screen is displayed first just click on the gear icon in the upper left of the handheld remote screen when you are not in an activity, then Settings, then Activities, then Startup Screen, then the activity and you can define what screen is shown when the activity starts.

Mark
post #3371 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Quote:

Thanks.
Are you watching the Netflix app on your FireTV? You have to create a FireTV activity, and you have to link the Harmony to your FTV as a wireless controller for that activity.
The Roku and FTV devices are different for remote control.
post #3372 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I’m not 100% sure I understand exactly what you want but when you select your NetFlix activity all the hard buttons (transport controls and so forth) should all be set to control your FireTV device. As far as the soft buttons on the touch screen, you can set them to whatever commands you want. To determine which screen is displayed first just click on the gear icon in the upper left of the handheld remote screen when you are not in an activity, then Settings, then Activities, then Startup Screen, then the activity and you can define what screen is shown when the activity starts.
Thanks for the reply.

After executing my netflix activity none of the hard buttons will control the fire stick. It's like the harmony thinks it should be controlling another device.
Edit: Ok i think i've just determined that the touch screen showing on my harmony after executing this activity is for the TV. If i click on one of the soft buttons "aspect" it will change my tv aspect ratio. So for some reason my activity defaults to this secenario instead of going into the fire stick controls.

When i go into the startup screen settings i see that it is set to 'commands'. The options i have there are 'commands', 'gestures', and 'numbers'. I'm not sure why 'numbeers' is a choice for my netflix activity on the firestick. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Here is my activity start sequence. Perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly?

Watch Netflix
. TV / power on
. Soundbar / power on
. Amazon fire TV / power on
. Tv / hdmi 1
. Soundbar / hdmi 2

Edit 2:
I've just noticed in the activity start sequence settings there is an option to customize the remote. When i look at that the buttons are all set to TV and Soundbar functions. If i look at my roku activity start sequence settings, which works 100%, there is no option to 'customize the remote'.

Last edited by CheetahAce; 03-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #3373 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

After executing my netflix activity none of the hard buttons will control the fire stick. It's like the harmony thinks it should be controlling another device.
Edit: Ok i think i've just determined that the touch screen showing on my harmony after executing this activity is for the TV. If i click on one of the soft buttons "aspect" it will change my tv aspect ratio. So for some reason my activity defaults to this secenario instead of going into the fire stick controls.

When i go into the startup screen settings i see that it is set to 'commands'. The options i have there are 'commands', 'gestures', and 'numbers'. I'm not sure why 'numbeers' is a choice for my netflix activity on the firestick. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Here is my activity start sequence. Perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly?

Watch Netflix
. TV / power on
. Soundbar / power on
. Amazon fire TV / power on
. Tv / hdmi 1
. Soundbar / hdmi 2

Edit 2:
I've just noticed in the activity start sequence settings there is an option to customize the remote. When i look at that the buttons are all set to TV and Soundbar functions. If i look at my roku activity start sequence settings, which works 100%, there is no option to 'customize the remote'.
Make sure that you have paired your Elite with your FireTV and you can control it with your Elite. Then just create a watch FireTV activity. If the hard/soft buttons aren’t as you want them for the activity just change them to what you want them to be. Every button, hard /soft can be defined or redefined by the user. I prefer using the PC application myself but you can do it on a tablet or phone using the app. I just find it easier to do with the pc application. I think the initial pairing to the FireTV needs to be done using the tablet or phone app.
Once your Watch FireTV activity is on then you can just click on the NetFlix app and you should be good to go.

Mark
post #3374 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Are you watching the Netflix app on your FireTV? You have to create a FireTV activity, and you have to link the Harmony to your FTV as a wireless controller for that activity.
The Roku and FTV devices are different for remote control.
I am watching Netflix on fire tv. I believe it is paired correctly. If i manually go to the fire stick device on the devices screen there controls there work.
post #3375 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am watching Netflix on fire tv. I believe it is paired correctly. If i manually go to the fire stick device on the devices screen there controls there work.
Then you should be paired correctly. You are probably going to be better off creating the Watch FireTV activity. I think it defaults then to most of the correct hard buttons to control the FireTV. But if you don’t want to do that you can still get to where you want to be. As I said, literally every button for an activity, hard or soft, can be assigned to any command of any device that is “used” in that activity. Some of the questions you answer when you setup an activity, like what device do you use to control volume and so forth (it’s been awhile since I did any of this so I’m going from memory) are there to try to get the buttons set correctly. But if they aren’t what you want just change to what you want them to be.

Mark
post #3376 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Make sure that you have paired your Elite with your FireTV and you can control it with your Elite. Then just create a watch FireTV activity. If the hard/soft buttons aren’t as you want them for the activity just change them to what you want them to be. Every button, hard /soft can be defined or redefined by the user. I prefer using the PC application myself but you can do it on a tablet or phone using the app. I just find it easier to do with the pc application. I think the initial pairing to the FireTV needs to be done using the tablet or phone app.
Once your Watch FireTV activity is on then you can just click on the NetFlix app and you should be good to go.
Yes!! It works now. Thank you so much!
I had been trying to set that up as a custom activity. When I set it up using the provided "Watch Fire TV' default it works as expected. I think i had tried that before when i first got the remote 2 days ago but I was having problems with the learning curve with power options and CEC control etc. After i figured out how to set those properly for my setup I had been creating activities using 'custom' and never bothered to try the defaults as a starting point. You would think setting up by custom would still allow you to get the same functionality as their default activities .. but oh well.

I'm very happy now. Thanks again for the help!

.. and i will begin programming the hard buttons as you suggested.
mjwagner likes this.

Last edited by CheetahAce; 03-03-2019 at 08:11 PM.
post #3377 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes!! It works now. Thank you so much!
I had been trying to set that up as a custom activity. When I set it up using the provided "Watch Fire TV' default it works as expected. I think i had tried that before when i first got the remote 2 days ago but I was having problems with the learning curve with power options and CEC control etc. After i figured out how to set those properly for my setup I had been creating activities using 'custom' and never bothered to try the defaults as a starting point. You would think setting up by custom would still allow you to get the same functionality as their default activities .. but oh well.

I'm very happy now. Thanks again for the help!
Glad it’s working. Yeah, it takes awhile to “get” how to correctly program these things. BTW, when you switch to a specific device, all the buttons, not just the touch screen, switch to that device. Think of it as just picking up the device remote. The soft buttons on the screen are normally used to pick up the commands for which their is no hard button.

Mark
post #3378 of 5181 Old 03-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Glad it’s working. Yeah, it takes awhile to “get” how to correctly program these things. BTW, when you switch to a specific device, all the buttons, not just the touch screen, switch to that device. Think of it as just picking up the device remote. The soft buttons on the screen are normally used to pick up the commands for which their is no hard button.
Ok. Gotcha. Thanks again.
post #3379 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
It also needs to be said the Elite can control other smart devices, key one is lights.
I added Lutron caseta lights and having total control on the remote is a game changer.
Turn the HT on, certain lights go on at %.
Play game, have lights on at %.
Watch a movie, only riser lip lights on.
Exit movie, dim lights come on.
Can’t do that with a 890.

Added, this kills the grafik eye also, a older $800-$1000 light controller solution, that’s a huge thing.

Yeah you can actually. Called scenes in the software. Combination of Zwave or Lutron Wireless via IR. My own zwave is limited to on/off but my Lutron light switches can be controlled to go to a certain brightness, or up/dwn as needed etc. My pot lights are set to come on when the activity starts at my favorite % brightness, my LED lights under my risers on come, and it all turns off when equipment turned off. Now obviously the elite controls a lot more smart type equipment, that's a no brainer, but the 890 can setup scenes.
post #3380 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I don't think his "problem" is that he is trying to use an Elite like an 890, but rather that he expected, as is entirely reasonable to expect, that a later model top-of-the-line remote would perform at least as well as a much older model. He is learning that the Elite doesn't do that apparently. Any time the latest top-of-the-line remote performs worse in some respect than a much older model, it is disappointing.

Bingo. The latest greatest should not be a step backwards in any way, and in fact the Elite most certainly is. With every upgrade of my last Harmony remotes the ugrade process was seamless, but with the Elite, it has too many limitations and simply can't do out of the box a lot of the things the 890 did.
pjp likes this.
post #3381 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
I actually mentioned in my post that for long distance I could use my phone. But honestly I hate using phone apps as a remote. As for Alexa...we don't get along, we never will, it's not going to work between us.
post #3382 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I actually mentioned in my post that for long distance I could use my phone. But honestly I hate using phone apps as a remote. As for Alexa...we don't get along, we never will, it's not going to work between us.
LOL, yeah I personally don’t get the whole control devices with your voice attraction beyond the initial wow isn’t that cool factor. By the time somebody says “Alexa blah, blah, blah” I push a button and I’m done...😎
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Mark
post #3383 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
LOL, yeah I personally don’t get the whole control devices with your voice attraction beyond the initial wow isn’t that cool factor. By the time somebody says “Alexa blah, blah, blah” I push a button and I’m done...😎
Thats what i used to think. But when my family and i are in the kitchen making popcorn, i have my 5 year old say “Alexa, turn on Movie Time”. We walk downstairs to the basement and EVERYTHING is ready to go, even the led ceiling lights and 30% dimmed sconces. Oh and ill mention again... the eilte controller always stays in the same place. How old are you guys??
post #3384 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 372
^^ I think all of these Siri, Alexa, etc. are creepy. I am with @mjwagner on this, I just would like to push a button and go.
Although, I must say that while driving it would be nice to have Siri make a phone call. But then again it can wait I am in no hurry for that anyways.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #3385 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Don't think the voice activation is as much age related as it is related to how many people are living together and start relying on it. I'm single, live by myself and other then asking Alexa to start a timer for cooking I rarely use it. Now Carplay in my truck is a difference maker clearly.
post #3386 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ I think all of these Siri, Alexa, etc. are creepy. I am with @mjwagner on this, I just would like to push a button and go.
Although, I must say that while driving it would be nice to have Siri make a phone call. But then again it can wait I am in no hurry for that anyways.

Using Carplay for a month now and I'd agree the phone call can wait but texting and using Siri with Google Maps or Waze for navigation is a different story. Game changer for those features. And bringing it back to the Elite, voice advantage is not having to take your eyes off something your doing and changing channels, etc isn't a issue. Just my take.
post #3387 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 11:29 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

It all seems like innocent fun until you're watching "Trading Places" and Alexa buys you a crapload of orange juice futures ...
Dan Hitchman, newfmp3 and ipca204 like this.
post #3388 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5045 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
It all seems like innocent fun until you're watching "Trading Places" and Alexa buys you a crapload of orange juice futures ...
The worst thing is when there is a TV show or movie with a character by the name of "Alexa" and they keep saying her name. The device keeps responding to that. I know I can turn off the speaker but it doesn't happen often enough for it to be worth it.

lujan
645 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
post #3389 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
The worst thing is when there is a TV show or movie with a character by the name of "Alexa" and they keep saying her name. The device keeps responding to that. I know I can turn off the speaker but it doesn't happen often enough for it to be worth it.
If that becomes an issue you can go into the dot’s settings and change the wake word to amazon. The other options of “computer” or “echo” probably not great choices lol. But yeah i think its silly to setup voice commands in the home theater, as its too noisy for it to hear you clearly anyway. I keep mine upstairs in the kitchen and it serves as the Movie Time activitor! And a host of other useful things as well.
post #3390 of 5181 Old 03-04-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

1. I use my EC9300 OLED TV’s built in channel tuner to get local hd channels using a QAM tuner, I get about 5 hd local channels which is good enough for me but the tuner also found a whole bunch of other crappy and non functional channels

2. “Simplink” is turned off on the LG OLED TV and HDMI control (CEC) is turned off on the Onkyo NR818 AVR, that was one the first things i suspected to check for when I first noticed the issue. I'm clueless at this point and id be greatly appreciated if someone can help me
You wrote a lot, so hopefully this will help.

1. First, I suggest you get a proper Tuning Adapter from the cable company. Because of the whole "Clear-QAM " thing, I thought they were even free for a while?

2. Good. Yes, be sure HDMI-CEC is turned-off EVERYWHERE .

If still having problem, I would think it has to be some bad Harmony programming somewhere ... either the Activity OR one of the Devices. Once, I had to delete a thing and re-add-it to fix it.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1

Last edited by Tesla1856; 03-04-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page