post #3661 of 3842 Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Do most users setup their remotes by hooking it up via USB to their computer, and the MyHarmony App? Or do they use the phone app to run through the setup?
Phone app setup can’t do everything, so PC is best for initial setup at least.
mjwagner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3842 Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Phone app setup can’t do everything, so PC is best for initial setup at least.
Agree, except of course for BT pairing which can only be done using the mobile app...🤔 This whole issue of things that can/can’t be done with pc/mobile app is one area that Harmony really needs to fix.
Pooch15 and m_snow like this.

Mark
post #3663 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 617
New Elite owner here.

I have two video sources (UHD disc player and ATV 4k) and two display devices (TV and projector).

That would seem to require four Activities - Watch BD movie on TV, Watch BD movie on on Projector, Watch ATV on TV, Watch ATV on Projector.

Is there a more elegant way?

Also, I haven't finished stumbling through the setup yet, perhaps because I bought a 950 and hub separately to save $30, so lacking cohesive instructions.

I set up the hub first and created a Watch Movie activity.

When I select Devices, there are only a few screens, i.e. a number pad and a generic select/arrow pad, but none of the device-related commands unique to each components remote.

Did something not work right, or is the user expected to manually add those commands?

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 273
^^ I do the four activities like you. I am not sure if there is a better approach especially due to the startup and cool-down projector cycles. You would need to connect the remote to your usb port on your computer to get the activities to function like all the keys for all the devices. It should sync with your hub and store the activities and devices. So in the future if you use your iPhone or other remote it will also sync. Maybe I answered your questions.
noah katz likes this.
post #3665 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
New Elite owner here.

I have two video sources (UHD disc player and ATV 4k) and two display devices (TV and projector).

That would seem to require four Activities - Watch BD movie on TV, Watch BD movie on on Projector, Watch ATV on TV, Watch ATV on Projector.

Also, I haven't finished stumbling through the setup yet, perhaps because I bought a 950 and hub separately to save $30, so lacking cohesive instructions.

I set up the hub first and created a Watch Movie activity.

When I select Devices, there are only a few screens, i.e. a number pad and a generic select/arrow pad, but none of the device-related commands unique to each components remote.

Did something not work right, or is the user expected to manually add those commands?
Head over to the Harmony website. Lots of good info, guides, FAQ’s, and instructions there. Make sure you add all of your devices first before you start creating activities. I have always found it easier to do the initial setup using the MyHarmony pc application than trying to do it thru the mobile apps. Be aware that some tasks, like BT pairing as an example, can only be done using the mobile app and some only from the handheld remote itself, and some only from the pc application, it’s definitely something Harmony needs to fix. Finally, you will be better off using preset activities as a starting point rather than using the generic one if possible. Take your time and be very methodical. The hardest thing with the Harmony remotes is the initial setup and getting used to the way the “programming” works. Some of it is not intuitive and takes some patience and their is a learning curve. It will be an iterative process until you get it setup just the way you want it but it is worth the time IMHO.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3666 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ I do the four activities like you. I am not sure if there is a better approach especially due to the startup and cool-down projector cycles. You would need to connect the remote to your usb port on your computer to get the activities to function like all the keys for all the devices. It should sync with your hub and store the activities and devices. So in the future if you use your iPhone or other remote it will also sync. Maybe I answered your questions.

Ah, OK, that helps - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Head over to the Harmony website. Lots of good info, guides, FAQ’s, and instructions there. Make sure you add all of your devices first before you start creating activities. I have always found it easier to do the initial setup using the MyHarmony pc application than trying to do it thru the mobile apps. Be aware that some tasks, like BT pairing as an example, can only be done using the mobile app and some only from the handheld remote itself, and some only from the pc application, it’s definitely something Harmony needs to fix. Finally, you will be better off using preset activities as a starting point rather than using the generic one if possible. Take your time and be very methodical. The hardest thing with the Harmony remotes is the initial setup and getting used to the way the “programming” works. Some of it is not intuitive and takes some patience and their is a learning curve. It will be an iterative process until you get it setup just the way you want it but it is worth the time IMHO.

Also, helpful, thanks, and will check out the Harmony site.

Noah
post #3667 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
New Elite owner here.

I have more sources, so all of my sources are set up as Custom Activities that don't require a display. I have a "Use Projector" activity and a "Use TV" activity set up so I choose one and then once that finishes I choose the source activity.
noah katz and tanman like this.
post #3668 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
I have more sources, so all of my sources are set up as Custom Activities that don't require a display. I have a "Use Projector" activity and a "Use TV" activity set up so I choose one and then once that finishes I choose the source activity.

That is a better approach. I will use it on mine
post #3669 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post

Ah, I didn't think of piggy-backing activities - I like it.

One thing I'm wondering about, especially in regard to powering down the projector, is what invokes the end of an activity?

Does it happen automatically when the movie is over, or when I hit STOP (but what if I'm doing that to change discs and don't want to end the activity), or do I do it manually (how?), which is what I'd prefer.

Seems like the safest way to avoid unnecessary power-cycling on the lamp would be to remove power-off from the activity and just do it manually.

After years of using a URC MX-880 that I never fully programmed, I don't mind some extra button-pushing.

I guess I should finish klutzing through initial setup and spend some time at the Harmony site before asking more questions.

Noah
post #3670 of 3842 Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ That is what Ortiz's command does it separates out the TV from the projector and is a really good idea, why didn't I think about that!
post #3671 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The touchscreen has died on my Harmony Elite. Apparently not an uncommon problem and it's out of warranty.

Was hoping to use the buttons for controlling my cable box which is in a media closet while I decide what to do. The Hub is in the media closet and controls the cable box. But since I can't start an activity, I can't get the buttons to work with the hub. Was also using the remotes IR ability to control the tv for volume, power, etc but that no longer works either.

Tried deleting all the activities but that didn't work.

Since the remote can still be setup/synced with the MyHarmony software on Win 10, can anyone think of any workaround?

thanks for any help...
post #3672 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkore View Post
The touchscreen has died on my Harmony Elite. Apparently not an uncommon problem and it's out of warranty.

Was hoping to use the buttons for controlling my cable box which is in a media closet while I decide what to do. The Hub is in the media closet and controls the cable box. But since I can't start an activity, I can't get the buttons to work with the hub. Was also using the remotes IR ability to control the tv for volume, power, etc but that no longer works either.

Since the remote can still be setup/synced with the MyHarmony software on Win 10, can anyone think of any workaround?

thanks for any help...

Download the app. Start activities from the app and then you can use the remote, or just continue to use the app since it’s now up on your phone or tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3673 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
Download the app. Start activities from the app and then you can use the remote, or just continue to use the app since it’s now up on your phone or tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks jdsnov73 for the idea. Works just fine for what I wanted to do.
post #3674 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkore View Post

thanks for any help...
You might contact Quin at Harmony Remote Repair about fixing the screen. I've used his services in the past on a couple of 880s and was extremely happy with the outcome.
post #3675 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
You might contact Quin at Harmony Remote Repair about fixing the screen. I've used his services in the past on a couple of 880s and was extremely happy with the outcome.
A second thumbs up on Quin. I had found his site and he was very helpful with some debugging and disassembly instructions. He didn't have any working screens for repair since that is the most common failure point.
Keenan likes this.
post #3676 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Have any of you used the Precision IR cables from Logitech? I just ordered a set and I’m hoping it fixes the issue I’m am seeing where I push a button on remote, the hub blinks and then nothing. I’m not sure if it’s because there is too much light in the room or something else.
post #3677 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post
Have any of you used the Precision IR cables from Logitech? I just ordered a set and I’m hoping it fixes the issue I’m am seeing where I push a button on remote, the hub blinks and then nothing. I’m not sure if it’s because there is too much light in the room or something else.
Did you try adjusting command repeats?

Mark
post #3678 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Did you try adjusting command repeats?

Everything works fine when the room is not getting massive amount of sunlight. I am not certain of what could cause the issue other than this. If it was command repeat issue would it still behave like this?
post #3679 of 3842 Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Is there a wall switch that works directly with the Elite/hub (without needing the hub extender)? I'd like a single rocker switch, no dimmer, that can be turned on and off manually in addition to turning it on/off via Elite/Hub.

Something like the switch below looks ideal, but I'm not sure it will work with the Elite/hub and I would strongly prefer that it had a rocker up and down action in manual mode rather than a single on/off toggle at the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-Contro...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by pjp; 05-22-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #3680 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Is there a wall switch that works directly with the Elite/hub (without needing the hub extender)? I'd like a single rocker switch, no dimmer, that can be turned on and off manually in addition to turning it on/off via Elite/Hub.

Something like the switch below looks ideal, but I'm not sure it will work with the Elite/hub and I would strongly prefer that it had a rocker up and down action in manual mode rather than a single on/off toggle at the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-Contro...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://runlesswire.com/click_philips_hue/
post #3681 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Everything works fine when the room is not getting massive amount of sunlight. I am not certain of what could cause the issue other than this. If it was command repeat issue would it still behave like this?
Ah, didn't know it worked ok when their was no light. Pasting individual emitters directly on your equipment definitely might help in that situation.

Mark
post #3682 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think this will work for me because I need to control a set of existing Edison-style LED lights (I can't replace those with Phillips Hue bulbs). I want the Harmony to be able to shut off a set of lights when the projector turns on.

That Phillips switch is very cool though -- how can a remote be both battery-free and wireless? Solar? "Permanent" battery?
post #3683 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 AM

post #3684 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like they need a “Smart Bridge” to connect to anything. I would take your time and do plenty of research before you jump into any home automation devices. It is very easy to box yourself into a corner. When I decided to implement lighting automation in my man cave/home theater/bar area I ended up going with a Smartthings hub (even though I really didn’t want yet another device) and all z-wave wall switches/dimmers. For plug in type lamps I found very inexpensive plug in controllers you can get from Ikea ($9.99 each) that work great. I went with all Lutron z-wave wall switches/dimmers, relatively inexpensive as smart switches go ($25 each). Again the key is to take your time and do plenty of research before starting to buy devices.
tanman, pjp and m_snow like this.

Mark
post #3685 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like they need a “Smart Bridge” to connect to anything. I would take your time and do plenty of research before you jump into any home automation devices. It is very easy to box yourself into a corner. When I decided to implement lighting automation in my man cave/home theater/bar area I ended up going with a Smartthings hub (even though I really didn’t want yet another device) and all z-wave wall switches/dimmers. For plug in type lamps I found very inexpensive plug in controllers you can get from Ikea ($9.99 each) that work great. I went with all Lutron z-wave wall switches/dimmers, relatively inexpensive as smart switches go ($25 each). Again the key is to take your time and do plenty of research before starting to buy devices.
Thanks. I looked at the Lutron and came to the same conclusion that it needs a bridge. I really don't need any home automation or additional lights, it's for the basement projector and I just need one light switch to be controlled, so I'm hoping to find something that will work standalone.

I thought this would be an easy question with lots of options, but that does not seem to be the case. I have an IR Lutron dimmer in our theater and it has worked perfectly with the Harmony 880/One/Elite for about 10 years. Unfortunately, I don't have line of site for IR for the basement switch, so it needs to be Wi-Fi/RF/etc-based.
post #3686 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I looked at the Lutron and came to the same conclusion that it needs a bridge. I really don't need any home automation or additional lights, it's for the basement projector and I just need one light switch to be controlled, so I'm hoping to find something that will work standalone.

I thought this would be an easy question with lots of options, but that does not seem to be the case. I have an IR Lutron dimmer in our theater and it has worked perfectly with the Harmony 880/One/Elite for about 10 years. Unfortunately, I don't have line of site for IR for the basement switch, so it needs to be Wi-Fi/RF/etc-based.
Yeah, I was very ambivalent about doing any home automation. Honestly now that I have all of the lighting in my man cave automated it really is great and I wish I would have done it sooner. When I activate any of my activities that use my projector it automatically turns all my lights to just the way I want them. Same when I hit the off button on the Harmony...al lights go to exactly how I want them. It took some time and thinking to get it all set up but it is incredibly convenient. I went from “who needs all that” to “why didn’t I do this sooner” pretty quickly...

Mark
post #3687 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was very ambivalent about doing any home automation. Honestly now that I have all of the lighting in my man cave automated it really is great and I wish I would have done it sooner. When I activate any of my activities that use my projector it automatically turns all my lights to just the way I want them. Same when I hit the off button on the Harmony...al lights go to exactly how I want them. It took some time and thinking to get it all set up but it is incredibly convenient. I went from “who needs all that” to “why didn’t I do this sooner” pretty quickly...
I just don't have much to automate in the basement, so I'm not seeing it, but you are probably right that once I have it I will find more uses. When you chose Samsung's "Smart Things", what made you choose that over the Harmony Hub Extender? Or am I wrong that those two provide the same type of functionality?

Also, how do you know which switches are compatible once you have a Smart Things or Harmony Hub Extender? As I search, I see switches from Lutron and GE that seem to suggest proprietary hardware is required even though they also seem to include some standards. Here is an example -- this GE switch seems to emphasize that it is an "Add On" to more GE stuff -- but it is also a Zigbee switch -- so I'm not clear if Smart Things or the Harmony Hub Extender could control it or if I would need a GE hub also -> https://www.amazon.com/GE-Bluetooth-...gateway&sr=8-6
post #3688 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just don't have much to automate in the basement, so I'm not seeing it, but you are probably right that once I have it I will find more uses. When you chose Samsung's "Smart Things", what made you choose that over the Harmony Hub Extender? Or am I wrong that those two provide the same type of functionality?

Also, how do you know which switches are compatible once you have a Smart Things or Harmony Hub Extender? As I search, I see switches from Lutron and GE that seem to suggest proprietary hardware is required even though they also seem to include some standards. Here is an example -- this GE switch seems to emphasize that it is an "Add On" to more GE stuff -- but it is also a Zigbee switch -- so I'm not clear if Smart Things or the Harmony Hub Extender could control it or if I would need a GE hub also -> https://www.amazon.com/GE-Bluetooth-...gateway&sr=8-6
The Smartthings website and user forums are good sources of info. The Smartthings website lists all the devices that are compatible. Z-wave and zigbee Devices are supported, and lots more. I picked Smartthings because it’s compatible with lots of devices and it has a pretty solid user base so probably won’t disappear anytime soon. It also integrates well with Harmony remotes. I thought Harmony discontinued the hub extender....I don’t think it’s listed on their website anymore.
pjp likes this.

Mark
post #3689 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Smartthings website and user forums are good sources of info. The Smartthings website lists all the devices that are compatible. Z-wave and zigbee Devices are supported, and lots more. I picked Smartthings because it’s compatible with lots of devices and it has a pretty solid user base so probably won’t disappear anytime soon. It also integrates well with Harmony remotes. I thought Harmony discontinued the hub extender....I don’t think it’s listed on their website anymore.

That is good to know @mjwagner . Z-wave and zigbee are good, very cheap and broad compatibility, all college projects use them. With that said this smartthings does it not act like a bridge also? I guess broad compatibility is the key.

I am fixing my place up and thought Lutron but now have to look at zigbee again, upgrade fever never ends, and 8K around the corner !
post #3690 of 3842 Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
That is good to know @mjwagner . Z-wave and zigbee are good, very cheap and broad compatibility, all college projects use them. With that said this smartthings does it not act like a bridge also? I guess broad compatibility is the key.

I am fixing my place up and thought Lutron but now have to look at zigbee again, upgrade fever never ends, and 8K around the corner !
I’m using a combination of z-wave and zigbee devices. The Smartthings hub handles them all. Once you connect them to the hub you loose site of what’s zigbee or z-wave...
pjp likes this.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page