post #3691 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I’m using a combination of z-wave and zigbee devices. The Smartthings hub handles them all. Once you connect them to the hub you loose site of what’s zigbee or z-wave...
Unfortunately, I am anti-Samsung so I'll research further. I'm sure there are other makers of z-wave and zigbee. I am almost certain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I’m using a combination of z-wave and zigbee devices. The Smartthings hub handles them all. Once you connect them to the hub you loose site of what’s zigbee or z-wave...
I have a combination of Zigbee and Lutron (clearconnect). I started with a wink 2 hub and got disappointed with the automation so I bypassed Smarthings and went with a Hubitat hub. The Lutrons do require the smartbridge (pro) but work well on the logitech elite.
post #3693 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Unfortunately, I am anti-Samsung so I'll research further. I'm sure there are other makers of z-wave and zigbee. I am almost certain!
in this case, smartthings was bought by samsung and is largely NOT a samsung product. It is quite excellent for home automation. the community is huge.
mjwagner likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Thanks. I looked at the Lutron and came to the same conclusion that it needs a bridge. I really don't need any home automation or additional lights, it's for the basement projector and I just need one light switch to be controlled, so I'm hoping to find something that will work standalone.

I thought this would be an easy question with lots of options, but that does not seem to be the case. I have an IR Lutron dimmer in our theater and it has worked perfectly with the Harmony 880/One/Elite for about 10 years. Unfortunately, I don't have line of site for IR for the basement switch, so it needs to be Wi-Fi/RF/etc-based.
Lutron requires the hub.

This one does not (there's also a non-dimmer version). I have several of these, though, and they work perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pjp likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #3695 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Lutron requires the hub.

This one does not (there's also a non-dimmer version). I have several of these, though, and they work perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. It looks like this is the one that doesn't have a dimmer -> https://www.amazon.com/iDevices-Wall...01&s=hi&sr=1-3

From the pictures, It looks like this one actually toggles up and down in manual switching mode, which is something I am looking for. When you say this switch does not require the hub, are you saying that you can control it directly from the Harmony Elite/Hub -- or is it Elite/Hub + something like smart things?
post #3696 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. It looks like this is the one that doesn't have a dimmer -> https://www.amazon.com/iDevices-Wall...01&s=hi&sr=1-3

From the pictures, It looks like this one actually toggles up and down in manual switching mode, which is something I am looking for. When you say this switch does not require the hub, are you saying that you can control it directly from the Harmony Elite/Hub -- or is it Elite/Hub + something like smart things?
That's actually a good question. I control it with Siri, I haven't configured any of my home automation into my Harmony yet. But the brain is built into the switch itself, there is no hub from iDevices to connect to your router, so I would imagine the Harmony Hub could talk to it via wifi the same way it speaks to the Hue hub.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #3697 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
That's actually a good question. I control it with Siri, I haven't configured any of my home automation into my Harmony yet. But the brain is built into the switch itself, there is no hub from iDevices to connect to your router, so I would imagine the Harmony Hub could talk to it via wifi the same way it speaks to the Hue hub.
You can look up if the device is compatible on the Logitech web set but I doubt that it is supported.
post #3698 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I don't think this will work for me because I need to control a set of existing Edison-style LED lights (I can't replace those with Phillips Hue bulbs). I want the Harmony to be able to shut off a set of lights when the projector turns on.

That Phillips switch is very cool though -- how can a remote be both battery-free and wireless? Solar? "Permanent" battery?

I have a couple of those switches and they work great, something about power being generated from when you click the switch. While it probably won’t work for you these were just announced and I might pickup one to see how they work because they go over the flip switch so no wiring involved.

https://www.store.meethue.com/us/lut...rt-bulb-dimmer
pjp likes this.
post #3699 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello all:

New Elite owner here. Have pretty thoroughly gone through all setup and settings via both the app and the remote itself, but have read there are settings unique to the desktop software. What must be done via computer connection which can’t be done elsewhere?

Thank you . Overall I’m quite enjoying the Elite thus far. Biggest issue was control of the Apple TV 4K (wifi control wouldn’t allow for things like long-press of Home button to put the device to sleep) but I learned tonight how to set the ATV up for Bluetooth control so all is well now.

4K/3D Projector: Sony VPL-VW295es | Screen: 120" 16x9 framed 'Screen Goo’ (Digital Grey) | 4K Player: Panasonic DP-UB820-K | Streaming: Apple TV 4K (64 GB) | Gaming: PS4 (500 GB), PS3 Slim (320 GB) | Receiver: Denon AVR-X6500H | Speakers (5.1.4): Axiom VP150 (centre), Axiom M60 x2 (towers), Axiom EP350 (LFE), Axiom QS8 quadpolar x2 (surrounds), Axiom M3 In-Ceiling x4 (atmos) | Remote: Harmony Elite
post #3700 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmckinl View Post
Hello all:

New Elite owner here. Have pretty thoroughly gone through all setup and settings via both the app and the remote itself, but have read there are settings unique to the desktop software. What must be done via computer connection which can’t be done elsewhere?

Thank you . Overall I’m quite enjoying the Elite thus far. Biggest issue was control of the Apple TV 4K (wifi control wouldn’t allow for things like long-press of Home button to put the device to sleep) but I learned tonight how to set the ATV up for Bluetooth control so all is well now.

Right, that Harmony Beta (for the ATV) profile is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3701 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Biggest issue was control of the Apple TV 4K (wifi control wouldn’t allow for things like long-press of Home button to put the device to sleep) but I learned tonight how to set the ATV up for Bluetooth control so all is well now.

I'm also a new Elite and ATV 4k owner; could you share how to set it up with Bluetooth?

Thanks

Noah
post #3702 of 3846 Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I'm also a new Elite and ATV 4k owner; could you share how to set it up with Bluetooth?

Thanks
Sure: Manufacturer = “Harmony Beta”, Model = “Test Apple TV”. In addition to enabling the sleep function for powering down, will also allow you to enable keyboard support which is nice.
noah katz and mjwagner like this.

4K/3D Projector: Sony VPL-VW295es | Screen: 120" 16x9 framed 'Screen Goo’ (Digital Grey) | 4K Player: Panasonic DP-UB820-K | Streaming: Apple TV 4K (64 GB) | Gaming: PS4 (500 GB), PS3 Slim (320 GB) | Receiver: Denon AVR-X6500H | Speakers (5.1.4): Axiom VP150 (centre), Axiom M60 x2 (towers), Axiom EP350 (LFE), Axiom QS8 quadpolar x2 (surrounds), Axiom M3 In-Ceiling x4 (atmos) | Remote: Harmony Elite
post #3703 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
noah katz and KOTULCN like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3704 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Hello all:

Your second question has already been answered by others. As to your first question, this chart should help -

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-features

The one additional thing I will mention is that, IMO, some things are just easier and quicker to do using the desktop app.
bdmckinl likes this.

Mark
post #3705 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post
You can look up if the device is compatible on the Logitech web set but I doubt that it is supported.
Correct. I attempted to add my iDevices last night and they were not discovered under "wi-fi devices".

post #3706 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post
...While it probably won’t work for you these were just announced and I might pickup one to see how they work because they go over the flip switch so no wiring involved.

https://www.store.meethue.com/us/lut...rt-bulb-dimmer
That looks more like a switch lock with rotating dimmer. Very cool solution for situations where people keep switching off the power supply to "smart" bulbs, but you are right, won't work for me.

The basement is a very vintage style game room, so I don't want anything modern for the switch. My plan is to find a modern WiFi toggle switch and then cover it with the arcade button covers below (this is why I prefer a smart switch that toggles up and down):

https://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Light-.../dp/B01N061V4R
post #3707 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it possible to program one of the hard buttons for lighting to a device that is not in the selected activity?

Thinking through this, and not at home to actually test it, can I add the device to the activity without adding it to the power on/power off sequences, and then map it to the hard buttons?

I'm wanting to add my theater lights to the hard buttons, but not have it automatically turn on and off. I can easily hit the switch on my way in, and more importantly on my way out. The way it was originally setup, I couldn't get it to not turn off the lights with the entire activity. I like to sit in the chair when I hit "Power Off" and make sure the projector receives both commands, and then I dock the remote and can easily hit the light switch on my way out.

Possible? Or will they always turn off when I hit the "off" button?

post #3708 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Is it possible to program one of the hard buttons for lighting to a device that is not in the selected activity?...

I believe so; I just read yesterday that the set of 5 buttons at the bottom are for Home Control.

The dotted buttons are for up to four devices; for lights, the +/- can be used to raise/dim them.

Noah
post #3709 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
this chart should help -

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-features

The one additional thing I will mention is that, IMO, some things are just easier and quicker to do using the desktop app.
Thank you most kindly sir! Dl'ing now...

post #3710 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is it possible to program one of the hard buttons for lighting to a device that is not in the selected activity?
I don't know the answer to your question because I add my Lutron IR dimmer to every activity. That way I can have dim/bright on the hard toggle and "all lights on", "all lights off" and "preset (optimized for projector)" on the soft buttons. Would that work for you or is there some reason you don't want to add it to activities?
post #3711 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know the answer to your question because I add my Lutron IR dimmer to every activity. That way I can have dim/bright on the hard toggle and "all lights on", "all lights off" and "preset (optimized for projector)" on the soft buttons. Would that work for you or is there some reason you don't want to add it to activities?
It's not that I don't want it in the activities, it's just that I don't want it to turn on and turn off with the activity. I want the lights to stay on until I'm ready to leave the room, even if I've already hit the OFF button to turn off all the gear in the theater.

Dedicated theater room.
Use the app to turn on the theater when we're getting snacks ready to go downstairs (doesn't matter if lights come on or not at this point).
Grab the remote on my way into the room.
When everyone is situated, start the movie, turn the lights out.
When the movie is done, turn the lights on.
When everyone is heading out, I hit the off button and wait for the projector to turn off. I DON'T want the lights to turn off at this point.
When I walk out of the room I can just hit the switch on my way out.

Ideally I want the lights programmed to the hard buttons so I don't have to switch over to DEVICES, select the Lutron controls, dim the lights, switch back to ACTIVITIES and control the movie, and then do it all over again when the movie is over.

I'm new to the harmony, and haven't played with it that much yet. If I add the Lutron switch to the activity, does it automatically add it to the power on and power off? I had it in there, and it was in both, and I couldn't simply remove it from the power off routine like I could with my NEEO. I don't remember if I had to add it to Power On and Off in the first place, or if it could be in the activity without being in either.

post #3712 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not that I don't want it in the activities, it's just that I don't want it to turn on and turn off with the activity. I want the lights to stay on until I'm ready to leave the room, even if I've already hit the OFF button to turn off all the gear in the theater.

Dedicated theater room.
Use the app to turn on the theater when we're getting snacks ready to go downstairs (doesn't matter if lights come on or not at this point).
Grab the remote on my way into the room.
When everyone is situated, start the movie, turn the lights out.
When the movie is done, turn the lights on.
When everyone is heading out, I hit the off button and wait for the projector to turn off. I DON'T want the lights to turn off at this point.
When I walk out of the room I can just hit the switch on my way out.

Ideally I want the lights programmed to the hard buttons so I don't have to switch over to DEVICES, select the Lutron controls, dim the lights, switch back to ACTIVITIES and control the movie, and then do it all over again when the movie is over.

I'm new to the harmony, and haven't played with it that much yet. If I add the Lutron switch to the activity, does it automatically add it to the power on and power off? I had it in there, and it was in both, and I couldn't simply remove it from the power off routine like I could with my NEEO. I don't remember if I had to add it to Power On and Off in the first place, or if it could be in the activity without being in either.
I get what you are saying. I think what you can do in My Harmony is go to "My Devices", select the Lutron, click "Change Device Settings" -> "Power Settings" -> "I want to leave this device powered on all the time".
post #3713 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I get what you are saying. I think what you can do in My Harmony is go to "My Devices", select the Lutron, click "Change Device Settings" -> "Power Settings" -> "I want to leave this device powered on all the time".
Ohh, yea, that sounds like it will work to keep it from powering down before I leave the room. And that will let me map it to the hard buttons? Sweet.

post #3714 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
It's not that I don't want it in the activities, it's just that I don't want it to turn on and turn off with the activity.

You can do one of two things to accomplish this:
Add the device to your Harmony, then go into Power Settings for the device and select "There are no power buttons on my original remote". You can then add the device to any activity and nothing will be sent to it during your activity startup or shutdown. You can then assign the commands like any any other button or screen command.

-OR-

Teach the commands from the dimmer remote to a device already in all or most of your activities, such as the receiver.
Unless I was up against the device limit on your remote, I would add it as it's own device... but there really isn't any penalty in this case to teach the commands to an existing device because your not wanting the remote to track the power state of the dimmer anyway.
pjp and thrillcat like this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9

Last edited by jcalabria; 05-24-2019 at 11:48 AM.
post #3715 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 11:55 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And that will let me map it to the hard buttons? Sweet.
To map the buttons in My Harmony, click "Buttons" on the left sidebar, then you should see two pulldown menus in the center of the screen. The top "Screen Options" pulldown is for the touchscreen, the bottom "Assign AV Commands" is used to map the hard buttons. On the bottom pulldown, you need to select the activity or device you want to map and then click the "Go" button. This will allow you to map, for example, bright/dim/on/off to short and long presses of the Elite's light control up/down toggle button (bottom left on the Elite).

It's easy to do, but, inconveniently you need to do that individually for each activity.

There is an "Assign Home Controls" button on the bottom of the My Harmony button page, which sounds like it would universally define those buttons for all activities, but the "Go" button seems to be permanently grayed out (at least it always is when I run My Harmony).
thrillcat likes this.
post #3716 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I'll try these over the weekend.

post #3717 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, this feature was definitely worth the desktop software download for the cool factor alone... although I suspect it won't do me any favours in terms of battery life !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 3.41.19 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	2571208
pjp likes this.

post #3718 of 3846 Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Ok, this feature was definitely worth the desktop software download for the cool factor alone... although I suspect it won't do me any favours in terms of battery life !
just use all black... definitely a downer on the battery life otherwise
bdmckinl likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #3719 of 3846 Old 05-25-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
just use all black... definitely a downer on the battery life otherwise
I use custom images on both my Elites. I have never noticed an issue with battery life but mine are always in the charger base unless they are being used so it is certainly possible.

Mark
post #3720 of 3846 Old 05-25-2019, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 648
It makes no difference. The panel is LCD. Whether you use all white or all black, the LED backlight works the same way
pjp and socalsharky like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page