AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay Freddy View Post
I just picked up a Harmony Elite.

Any suggestions on where to put the hub and the 2 little IR thingys? I have all my equipment racked.
I just keep my hub under the TV in the middle of the TV stand. The IR "thingys" are only if you have devices in enclosed cabinets. If so, put each one inside the cabinet. I think for the most part they're not even needed but I could be wrong.

lujan
526 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4080 Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 309
^^The main hub blasts the signal so unless you need additional focused blasts that's where you install the IR thingys (receivers)!

My rack is completely open so do not need the thingys!
post #3753 of 4080 Old 05-30-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks guys! Much appreciated

7.2.4|Klipsch RP-280F|RC-64III|2 RP-402S SL/SR|2 RP-402S Backs|4 SVS Elevations ATMOS|2 Klipsch R-115SW|SANUS CFR2136 Rack|2 AC Infinity Cloudplate T2|Marantz SR7013|Emotiva XPA-7 GEN 3|Outlaw Model 5000|Panamax M-5300-PM|Monster HTS 3600|Epson 5040UB|Logitech Harmony ELITE|NVIDIA Shield PRO|Xbox One X|Sony PS4|HTPC I7 KODI|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 4080 Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay Freddy View Post
I just picked up a Harmony Elite.

Any suggestions on where to put the hub and the 2 little IR thingys? I have all my equipment racked.

Just picked on up myself and I can tell you the mini ir things and the main unit put out a strong ir signal. I came from a URC MX-810(which finally kicked the bucket after 13 years... rest its soul) and had an ir emitter on each piece of hardware. With the Elite, I just put the main unit on the top shelf of the electronics cabinet and use one of the minis for the bottom shelf and then since my TV is about 15 feet away from the rest of the equipment, I just mounted the 2nd mini on the side of the electronics cabinet, in sight of the TV and the TV picks it up just fine from a good 10-15 feet away.

I also set which emitters each device gets it's signal from(look in Harmony Setup|Add/Edit Devices & Activities|Remote & Hub|IR Assignments). This minimizes the potential to get double signals.

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 05-30-2019 at 05:01 PM.
post #3755 of 4080 Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Confirming what others have said, the hub IR is very powerful and broad. I have it on one side of the room, 15 feet from the equipment rack and with a set of drums partially in the way, and it never misses a click on any device from top to bottom of the rack. The light dimmer is 90 degrees from the middle of the hub, also never misses a click.
post #3756 of 4080 Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Confirming what others have said, the hub IR is very powerful and broad. I have it on one side of the room, 15 feet from the equipment rack and with a set of drums partially in the way, and it never misses a click on any device from top to bottom of the rack. The light dimmer is 90 degrees from the middle of the hub, also never misses a click.
My hub is actually hidden away behind the sofa. I have one emitter connected to it that's discretely wired and attached to the lamp shade finial of the floor lamp next to the sofa. That emitter is the only one active in the configuration and it does a great job blasting all of the components at the front of the room.
pjp likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
post #3757 of 4080 Old 05-31-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Just picked on up myself and I can tell you the mini ir things and the main unit put out a strong ir signal. I came from a URC MX-810(which finally kicked the bucket after 13 years... rest its soul) and had an ir emitter on each piece of hardware. With the Elite, I just put the main unit on the top shelf of the electronics cabinet and use one of the minis for the bottom shelf and then since my TV is about 15 feet away from the rest of the equipment, I just mounted the 2nd mini on the side of the electronics cabinet, in sight of the TV and the TV picks it up just fine from a good 10-15 feet away.

I also set which emitters each device gets it's signal from(look in Harmony Setup|Add/Edit Devices & Activities|Remote & Hub|IR Assignments). This minimizes the potential to get double signals.
also, while it has probably been mentioned, you can use a 2.5mm cable from the hub to a 3.5mm end and plug it directly into a lot of receivers that have an "ir in" like the denon's do and bypass IR all together that way. just another option for those looking..
Chuck_IV, pjp and Deejay Freddy like this.
post #3758 of 4080 Old 05-31-2019, 06:49 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

If anyone needs to extend their Harmony IR blaster cable, which is an odd size at 2.5mm rather than the typical 3.5mm headphone jack size, this cable works great ->https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(available in various lengths up to 15 feet). The harmony IR plug is mono 2.5, and this extender is stereo, but it still works find since it transfers the single channel needed.

Deejay Freddy likes this.

Last edited by pjp; 05-31-2019 at 07:06 PM.
post #3759 of 4080 Old 06-01-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
also, while it has probably been mentioned, you can use a 2.5mm cable from the hub to a 3.5mm end and plug it directly into a lot of receivers that have an "ir in" like the denon's do and bypass IR all together that way. just another option for those looking..

I do have a Denon and did that with my MX-810 setup but the RF module for that had 8 inputs, the Harmony hub only has a measly two plugs. The way the plugs are recessed, my Y splitter wouldn't fit. I would need to find splitter with short runs of cable vs the one I have.
post #3760 of 4080 Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have a Denon and did that with my MX-810 setup but the RF module for that had 8 inputs, the Harmony hub only has a measly two plugs. The way the plugs are recessed, my Y splitter wouldn't fit. I would need to find splitter with short runs of cable vs the one I have.
I haven't tried this cable, but it does seem like 2.5mm splitters are available =>https://www.amazon.com/Wideskall-Pla...gateway&sr=8-1

post #3761 of 4080 Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 309
^^The hub is a blaster and the IR's are too. You may not need extra splitters depending on your rack configuration.
post #3762 of 4080 Old 06-02-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I haven't tried this cable, but it does seem like 2.5mm splitters are available =>https://www.amazon.com/Wideskall-Pla...gateway&sr=8-1

Thanks. The one I came across looked identical(but was black) but had 1 review saying it didn't work with the Harmony.
post #3763 of 4080 Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
lol, there are so many easy fixes for that. y cable from the hub, or my favorite, y cable out of the "ir out" on the denon. in my case, I use the harmony "precision emitters" coming out of the denon going to my four components.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...sion-ir-cables
they can usually be found for cheaper on ebay if you don't care if they are used..
post #3764 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
The Elite (or any Harmony "hub" based remote for that matter) does not use "sensors". It doesn't "sense" anything. It uses Blasters that "blast" out the IR signal. Sorry for seeming to be pedantic on this point but it is important to use common terminology so we all can understand one another.

The Elite comes with 2 blasters. That is normally more than enough as the hub itself "blasts" out IR signals in all directions and the hand held Elite remote can send out IR as well.
So here's something interesting.

I added an Nvidia Shield to my theater last weekend. I added a new activity. Works fine. Until I want to power down. It doesn't send ANY off commands to the projector. It still works fine in my original two activities, but the new activity doesn't even bring up the "press power off again to turn off" dialog on my projector, so it's not sending ANY commands.

Is there something I have to do with the new activity (obviously)? What am I missing here?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #3765 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Most Projectors require that two off command
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
So here's something interesting.

I added an Nvidia Shield to my theater last weekend. I added a new activity. Works fine. Until I want to power down. It doesn't send ANY off commands to the projector. It still works fine in my original two activities, but the new activity doesn't even bring up the "press power off again to turn off" dialog on my projector, so it's not sending ANY commands.

Is there something I have to do with the new activity (obviously)? What am I missing here?
Most projectors require two power off commands or two powertoggle commands to be sent to the projector to power it off check in the power command setting for your projector that it is set up that way
post #3766 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
Most Projectors require that two off command
Most projectors require two power off commands or two powertoggle commands to be sent to the projector to power it off check in the power command setting for your projector that it is set up that way

I have the projector set up that way, and it works fine on the other two activities. It’s just the new activity that isn’t doing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #3767 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I have the projector set up that way, and it works fine on the other two activities. It’s just the new activity that isn’t doing anything.
This probably isn't your issue, but I had the same problem just last week and on a lark I unplugged the hub and plugged it back in. That fixed it.
post #3768 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check the startup and shutdown commands for the new activity. Using the MyHarmony desktop application (you can probably do it with the mobile app to but it is probably a different process) click on Activities in the panel on the left then select the specific activity in question in the list of activities, then click on "Customize this Activity" and you can verify and adjust both the startup and shutdown commands.

One other thing to note is you are usually better off using one of the predefined activities if possible when creating a new activity rather than trying to use a generic activity.
thrillcat likes this.

Mark
post #3769 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Changing Color Mode on Epson PJ

I have 2 Harmony Elites and I nearly have them set up just as I would like. However, I am having trouble programming one of them to change color (picture) modes on my Epson 5040 projector. I have 2 predefined picture modes set up: one for HDR content and one for SDR. There are no direct commands for selecting these modes on the Harmony, although the "Color Mode" command is available (but not the sub-commands). Changing them with the Epson remote requires either pressing the color mode button or the menu button, and then using the cursor to make the appropriate selection. Using the Watch TV Activity on the Elite, I have added "Color Mode" as a screen option in this activity. But when I select it, the cursor tries to control the DirecTV box. I get all sorts or errors and have to start over. The only way I have found is to select the PJ device and make the changes manually.

Is there any way to automate this with a macro? Or at least be able to do it from the Watch TV activity? Is it possible to find a direct IR code to program this?
post #3770 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
I have 2 Harmony Elites and I nearly have them set up just as I would like. However, I am having trouble programming one of them to change color (picture) modes on my Epson 5040 projector. I have 2 predefined picture modes set up: one for HDR content and one for SDR. There are no direct commands for selecting these modes on the Harmony, although the "Color Mode" command is available (but not the sub-commands). Changing them with the Epson remote requires either pressing the color mode button or the menu button, and then using the cursor to make the appropriate selection. Using the Watch TV Activity on the Elite, I have added "Color Mode" as a screen option in this activity. But when I select it, the cursor tries to control the DirecTV box. I get all sorts or errors and have to start over. The only way I have found is to select the PJ device and make the changes manually.

Is there any way to automate this with a macro? Or at least be able to do it from the Watch TV activity? Is it possible to find a direct IR code to program this?
You can add a "sequence" to a softkey or hardkey which would issue the correct set of commands, including the right number of up/down and/or left/right clicks. These can be problematic if you can't always be certain of the exact starting state. The other option is to assign up/down, left/right, enter, etc, whatever is needed to soft keys for the activity.

If their is a single button on your oem remote that does what you want and it does not appear in the list of commands for your device you can email Harmony support and they will add it, or the handheld can learn IR commands.

Mark
post #3771 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
You can add a "sequence" to a softkey or hardkey which would issue the correct set of commands, including the right number of up/down and/or left/right clicks. These can be problematic if you can't always be certain of the exact starting state. The other option is to assign up/down, left/right, enter, etc, whatever is needed to soft keys for the activity.

If their is a single button on your oem remote that does what you want and it does not appear in the list of commands for your device you can email Harmony support and they will add it, or the handheld can learn IR commands.

Thanks. By softkey, you mean screen commands? if so, I would have screen commands like Epson L, Epson R, Epson Up, etc?

Is there a fix to the issue of the cursor wanting to control my DirecTV box during the Watch TV Activity? I guess I don't mind making the change myself, but would rather not have to to to devices first.
post #3772 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Thanks. By softkey, you mean screen commands? if so, I would have screen commands like Epson L, Epson R, Epson Up, etc?

Is there a fix to the issue of the cursor wanting to control my DirecTV box during the Watch TV Activity? I guess I don't mind making the change myself, but would rather not have to to to devices first.
the only option is to map other keys to be the projector's cursor keys. you could possibly set them up as long press functions of the existing cursor keys, although I can't recall if those support long press functionality.

I have some device specific functions setup as long press keys. you have to do this Per activity, though.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #3773 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes by "soft button" I'm referring to the touch screen. You can label it anything you want within the restrictions of the MyHarmony software.

When you refer to "cursor" are you talking about the direction keys on the d-pad? If so, as with any hard or soft key, you can set them to anything you want within a specific activity. But if you use your DirecTV box during your Watch TV activity I would think you would want the d-pad direction keys to control your DireTV box no?

You need to understand how the Harmony remote works. When you select an activity, like in your example, Watch TV, not only does the Harmony issue the correct commands to setup all your equipment the way it needs to be for that activity but it switches all of the buttons, soft and hard, to how you have them defined for that activity. You can define them anyway you want to control any device that is included in that activity. When you are using an activity and you click on the "Devices" key and then select another device all of the hard and soft buttons then switch to how you have them configured for the device you select. And again, you can configure those hard and soft buttons anyway you like using the commands available for that device. When you then switch back to the "active" activity, all the hard and soft buttons switch back to how you have them defined for that activity.

It is all user configurable. Setup the hard and soft buttons however you want them for every activity and device.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3774 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check the startup and shutdown commands for the new activity. Using the MyHarmony desktop application (you can probably do it with the mobile app to but it is probably a different process) click on Activities in the panel on the left then select the specific activity in question in the list of activities, then click on "Customize this Activity" and you can verify and adjust both the startup and shutdown commands.

One other thing to note is you are usually better off using one of the predefined activities if possible when creating a new activity rather than trying to use a generic activity.
Okay. Well. No luck.

I've checked every setting. I've re-synced. I deleted the faulty activity and recreated it with a predefined activity. Nothing is making it turn off the projector.

After all the settings I've tweaked, it still turns off the projector perfectly from my original two activities, but no matter what I do, it doesn't work in the new activity.

I'm officially stumped. And kinda annoyed.

post #3775 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Okay. Well. No luck.

I've checked every setting. I've re-synced. I deleted the faulty activity and recreated it with a predefined activity. Nothing is making it turn off the projector.

After all the settings I've tweaked, it still turns off the projector perfectly from my original two activities, but no matter what I do, it doesn't work in the new activity.

contact logitech directly. They're actually very helpful and can look at your activities to see what's wrong.
thrillcat likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #3776 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay. Well. No luck.

One additional thing you could try is going into the shutdown section for the activity giving you the problem and add in an additional shutdown command or two, with some delays in between, for the projector to see if that helps. If you still can’t get it to work then as someone else recommended, you may have to contact Harmony support.

Mark
post #3777 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone use the Harmony Alexa Skill? I cannot, for the life of me, get the skill to change the channel to HBO when I say "Alexa turn on HBO". It ALWAYS starts the Roku HBO Go App.

I have turned off every single Roku favorite in the Harmony Alexa skill and removed every single friendly name from all the Roku favorites too. I've even removed not only HBO Go from my Roku but also completely removed the Roku as a device. I also restarted the Hub.

Yet after doing that when I ask it to turn on HBO, it say ok but does nothing(I'm assuming it STILL trying to change to HBO Go on the Roku).

This same thing initially happened with ESPN but I simply removed the friendly name of "ESPN" from the Roku Favorites list and turned off ESPN as a Roku favorite in the Alexa Harmony skill and it works fine now. Not so much for HBO though.

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 06-03-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #3778 of 4080 Old 06-03-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
You need to understand how the Harmony remote works...

That would be nice, but easier said than done.

I just got back from vacation and am still on the bottom slope of the learning curve.

I haven't yet come across anything approaching a comprehensive manual or even a web page with links to everything one needs to know about setup.

If there is, please point me in the right direction.

Right now all I have is cut/pastes of informative posts like yours (thanks!) and have 7 different web pages open with various snippets from Harmony, reviews, etc.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 06-03-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #3779 of 4080 Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
That would be nice, but easier said than done.

I just got back from vacation and am still on the bottom slope of the learning curve.

I haven't yet come across anything approaching a comprehensive manual or even a web page with links to everything one needs to know about setup.

If there is, please point me in the right direction.

Right now all I have is cut/pastes of informative posts like yours (thanks!) and have 7 different web pages open with various snippets from Harmony, reviews, etc.
Honestly it's a bit hard for me to judge since I have been using Harmony remotes for a long time but I usually send folks here for the basics -

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/elite

If you scroll down thru that page it takes you thru all the basics and then has plenty of links for more advanced topics. For more help on specific device I've always found good information by searching the Harmony Elite support area for specific devices, like Apple TV as an example and found very detailed assistance. Harmony tech support has always been very helpful as well.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3780 of 4080 Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Guys, I'm getting lousy results with my Elite compared to the responsiveness of the X15 remote for the new X1 DVRs from Xfinity. It's easily half as slow.

First, I'm wondering if switching the setting in MyHarmony over to RF-only would help (on a side note where the heck is that setting as I can't find it now!)?

Second, would changing the delays and such help? A typical example is the Search Bar, the Guide and the FF/RW buttons. I can easily get well ahead of the action, but almost can't with the actual X15.

Is there something else I could do to get these two remotes to be similar in response?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page