1125Likes

post #3781 of 3966 Old 06-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
Guys, I'm getting lousy results with my Elite compared to the responsiveness of the X15 remote for the new X1 DVRs from Xfinity. It's easily half as slow.

First, I'm wondering if switching the setting in MyHarmony over to RF-only would help (on a side note where the heck is that setting as I can't find it now!)?

Second, would changing the delays and such help? A typical example is the Search Bar, the Guide and the FF/RW buttons. I can easily get well ahead of the action, but almost can't with the actual X15.

Is there something else I could do to get these two remotes to be similar in response?
Not sure why you think there is a setting to use RF-only with the elite. Neither the hub nor the remote do RF at all..probably why you can't find that setting! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3966 Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Harmony Elite

"The Harmony hub ... uses Infrared (IR), Bluetooth and Wi‑Fi to control your various devices"

according to

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/elite

Is RF just for updates & Elite-Hub communication ?

Carl

Last edited by cTwining; 06-04-2019 at 09:11 PM.
post #3783 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cTwining View Post
"The Harmony hub ... uses Infrared (IR), Bluetooth and Wi‑Fi to control your various devices"

according to

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/elite

Is RF just for updates & Elite-Hub communication ?

Carl
The hand held communicates with the hub via RF described as proprietary wi-fi (not the internet access wi-fi, which is used only for programming). Users have no access to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3784 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Anyone use the Harmony Alexa Skill? I cannot, for the life of me, get the skill to change the channel to HBO when I say "Alexa turn on HBO". It ALWAYS starts the Roku HBO Go App.

I have turned off every single Roku favorite in the Harmony Alexa skill and removed every single friendly name from all the Roku favorites too. I've even removed not only HBO Go from my Roku but also completely removed the Roku as a device. I also restarted the Hub.

Yet after doing that when I ask it to turn on HBO, it say ok but does nothing(I'm assuming it STILL trying to change to HBO Go on the Roku).

This same thing initially happened with ESPN but I simply removed the friendly name of "ESPN" from the Roku Favorites list and turned off ESPN as a Roku favorite in the Alexa Harmony skill and it works fine now. Not so much for HBO though.

Anyone else seeing this?

So I finally figured it out. In the Devices section of the Alexa app, under Scenes, it creates a "Scene" for each channel linked from the Harmony app. Apparently HBO was their twice, once for the channel and once for the Roku app, even though I removed it from the shortcut section of the Harmony skill.

One note, you cannot just disable it, Alexa won't like that, you need to completely delete the HBO scene linked to the HBO Go app( or you can change the name). Once I did that, asking Alexa to turn on HBO finally started changing the channel to HBO instead of opening the Roku HBO Go app.

**EDIT**
Seems like I had a LOT of duplicates throughout the scene list for channels. Duplicates that were identical in what it did too(not just duplicate names). I went through and cleaned up the duplicates by deleting them manually. Not sure why there were so many duplicate scenes.

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 06-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.
post #3785 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Not sure why you think there is a setting to use RF-only with the elite. Neither the hub nor the remote do RF at all..probably why you can't find that setting! :-)
I was mis-remembering the setting where you can tell it to do hub only or hub and emitters.

Something, by the way is up as I don't have ANY emitters going to the X1 DVR and the hub is not in a spot the X1 can see, but it is working, just slowly as I mentioned. Plus I now have set the emitters to be off and it's still working.

So, what do we think is responsible for that working?

Also, back to the original question: Are people getting the same responsiveness from their Elite as they are with the Comcast remote? I tried mucking with the delay settings and that only made things worse.
post #3786 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
I was mis-remembering the setting where you can tell it to do hub only or hub and emitters.

Something, by the way is up as I don't have ANY emitters going to the X1 DVR and the hub is not in a spot the X1 can see, but it is working, just slowly as I mentioned. Plus I now have set the emitters to be off and it's still working.

So, what do we think is responsible for that working?

Also, back to the original question: Are people getting the same responsiveness from their Elite as they are with the Comcast remote? I tried mucking with the delay settings and that only made things worse.

the hub can certainly blast out IR and hit devices that you wouldn't expect. however, it's not always good enough. I'd run a blaster to it to be safe.

also, adjust the interkey delay and interdevice delays to see if that helps.

Also, command repeats could be causing a problem. might up them or reduce them by 1 to see if things speed up.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #3787 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I want to use IFTTT to press the red button on my remote. Which is programmed to switch my TV to HDMI 2. The problem is the IFTTT only uses activities. I don't always want the activity to turn the TV on when the IFTTT trigger happens. So, what would be the fix? Set up a dummy device and then add that command to the activity start up?
post #3788 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
So I just got an Elite today. Can I really not edit the names of the inputs for my TV? I have a samsung RU7100. It has 3-4 HDMI inputs. There is no dedicated button. The remote just shows HDMI1, HDMI2 etc. I want to name them after the sources, ie, APPLE TV, XBOX etc. How do I do that. I have had no luck so far.
post #3789 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Harmony Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
So I just got an Elite today. Can I really not edit the names of the inputs for my TV? I have a samsung RU7100. It has 3-4 HDMI inputs. There is no dedicated button. The remote just shows HDMI1, HDMI2 etc. I want to name them after the sources, ie, APPLE TV, XBOX etc. How do I do that. I have had no luck so far.

AFAIK you can’t rename inputs but it’s not necessary because the input name is in your Activity and is not seen while you’re running it.
Think in terms of creating Activities for your devices and inputs rather switching to them manually. Then the Activity can be named whatever you want such as APPLE TV (or Watch Apple TV) or XBOX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by m_snow; 06-05-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #3790 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
You can create / learn custom IR commands for any device or activity and name them whatever you want. Same for macros.
post #3791 of 3966 Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
It’s going to take some time to get used to how to setup your Elite. It is much harder to learn how to set it up then it is to use once it’s setup correctly. If you are trying to do everything with the mobile apps on a phone or tablet, don’t. Use the desktop MyHarmony application instead. It is much easier to use to do the initial setup. Except for bt pairing which you need to use the mobile app to do.

Take your time. Be methodical. It will take time before you “get” how to get it setup. Every button, hard buttons and on the touch screen, can be assigned to whatever you want and can be different for every “activity” and “device”. You won’t get it right the first time. It will be an iterative process.

I’ve been using Logitech/Harmony remotes for well over 15 years. I still discover new things that I didn’t know I could do...😎

Mark
post #3792 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AFAIK you can’t rename inputs but it’s not necessary because the input name is in your Activity and is not seen while you’re running it.
Think in terms of creating Activities for your devices and inputs rather switching to them manually.
Well thats disappointing if true. I had a couple harmony remotes in the past and I was always able to edit the names of the buttons that appeared on the screen portion. Sometimes its just easier to select a device and hit a button to change inputs. I will take time to get the activities setup but in the past activities weren't always 100% reliable so it can be easier to have alternate way to change inputs. I will have to download the desktop app though I was hoping to avoid that and use the iPad app for setup.
post #3793 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Harmony Elite

Quote:
Well thats disappointing if true. I had a couple harmony remotes in the past and I was always able to edit the names of the buttons that appeared on the screen portion. Sometimes its just easier to select a device and hit a button to change inputs. I will take time to get the activities setup but in the past activities weren't always 100% reliable so it can be easier to have alternate way to change inputs. I will have to download the desktop app though I was hoping to avoid that and use the iPad app for setup.

You can change inputs manually on the device screen you just need to know which input goes to the device you want.
Activities are the way to go though. It will take some tweaking and adjusting to get them perfect and reliable but in the end you’ll be happy you did it.
You can edit the device names.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3794 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can assign any command you want to a screen soft button and then name it anything you want. So yes, you can do exactly what you are wanting to do. You can do almost anything (their are exceptions see link below) using the mobile app on a phone or tablet. That said, IMPO it is much easier to do most things using the desktop application.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-features

In addition to what is listed on the chart, AFAIK you do need to use the mobile app to do bt pairing.

Mark
post #3795 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Are the device and activity setups on the 950 and phone app independent?

On the computer, the 950 and hub have different numbers of devices and activities.

I synced the remote while connected by USB to the computer.

Also, I manually entered the up/down commands for my Dalite screen which I added it with the phone app.

The phone app has up/down arrows which operate the screen, but when I switch to the screen device on the 950, there's nothing on the display except

< edit

neither of which does anything, and none of the hard buttons do anything.

Is it supposed to be this way?

Noah
post #3796 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Are the device and activity setups on the 950 and phone app independent?

On the computer, the 950 and hub have different numbers of devices and activities.

I synced the remote while connected by USB to the computer.

Also, I manually entered the up/down commands for my Dalite screen which I added it with the phone app.

The phone app has up/down arrows which operate the screen, but when I switch to the screen device on the 950, there's nothing on the display except

< edit

neither of which does anything, and none of the hard buttons do anything.

Is it supposed to be this way?
Shouldn’t be. The mobile app and the MyHarmony desktop application should be the same. Are you sure you didn’t accidentally set them up as two different remotes? When using the MyHarmony desktop application if you click on Gallery do you see more than one 950 listed?

Mark
post #3797 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:15 PM

Nope, one Harmony Hub and one 950.

On top of that, I tried to add a Lutron dimmer to the remote and it tells me it's not supported, even though it is and I added it to the app.

And now it's telling me I need to pair my Amazon Fire TV, which I had already done and was showing up as paired device* on the TV.

I deleted it and tried pairing it again but it timed out.

* As a Harmony keyboard; does that mean the remote?

Maybe I should delete/uninstall everything and start over...grrr

Noah
post #3798 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope, one Harmony Hub and one 950.

On top of that, I tried to add a Lutron dimmer to the remote and it tells me it's not supported, even though it is and I added it to the app.

And now it's telling me I need to pair my Amazon Fire TV, which I had already done and was showing up as paired device* on the TV.

I deleted it and tried pairing it again but it timed out.

* As a Harmony keyboard; does that mean the remote?

Maybe I should delete/uninstall everything and start over...grrr
Yeah, unfortunately I think you should. The mobile app and MyHarmony should be the same. IIRC it does show up as a Harmony keyboard.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3799 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Yeah, unfortunately I think you should. The mobile app and MyHarmony should be the same. IIRC it does show up as a Harmony keyboard.
Wait, it should show up as one thing, not a hub and a 950. I have Elites, which is basically a hub and a 950. They just show up as one thing. If you purchased them separately instead of together as an Elite, I think you need to perform an extra step to pair your 950 with the hub. I never purchased or setup any like that so not sure. You should look on Harmony support for exactly what you need to do to get them paired.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3800 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wait, it should show up as one thing, not a hub and a 950. I have Elites, which is basically a hub and a 950. They just show up as one thing. If you purchased them separately instead of together as an Elite, I think you need to perform an extra step to pair your 950 with the hub. I never purchased or setup any like that so not sure. You should look on Harmony support for exactly what you need to do to get them paired.
Yeah, that is exactly what your issue is. You have basically created two remotes. The hub and the 950. Remember that a hub can work as a remote all by itself using the mobile app running on a phone or tablet as the handheld remote. The 950 can also act as a separate remote. What you did is created two remotes, the hub and the 950. What you need to do before you start programming any devices or activities is pair the 950 with the hub.

edit - sorry scroll to the bottom of this page.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-add-on
noah katz likes this.

Mark

Last edited by mjwagner; 06-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #3801 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Well that was the worst $30 I ever saved.

Noah
post #3802 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Yeah, that is exactly what your issue is. You have basically created two remotes. The hub and the 950. Remember that a hub can work as a remote all by itself using the mobile app running on a phone or tablet as the handheld remote. The 950 can also act as a separate remote. What you did is created two remotes, the hub and the 950. What you need to do before you start programming any devices or activities is pair the 950 with the hub.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...te-or-keyboard
Actually an “upgrade” is what needs to be done because the 950 came without a hub.

post #3803 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
Actually an “upgrade” is what needs to be done because the 950 came without a hub.

Yeah, realized that right after I posted and edited my post...

Mark
post #3804 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks!

Well that was the worst $30 I ever saved.
LOL. Like I always tell folks, the hardest part is getting these things setup correctly. Once that is done they are great...
noah katz, tanman and m_snow like this.

Mark
post #3805 of 3966 Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post

Actually that occurred to me, as I had seen the Upgrade page before.

But that seems more complicated/ambiguous - am I upgrading the remote or the hub?

Seems like pre-pairing to make 950+hub=Elite is more straightforward.

Noah
post #3806 of 3966 Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually that occurred to me, as I had seen the Upgrade page before.

But that seems more complicated/ambiguous - am I upgrading the remote or the hub?

Seems like pre-pairing to make 950+hub=Elite is more straightforward.
AFAIK you are adding the 950 to the hub so upgrading the hub. Like I said I've only ever purchased Elites so have never had to do it myself so am not 100% certain. If in doubt just contact Harmony support.

Mark
post #3807 of 3966 Old 06-07-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
contact logitech directly. They're actually very helpful and can look at your activities to see what's wrong.
Well, I contacted Logitech via email. They responded, asked what specific activity I was having the problem with, I told them, and when I got home from work I synced, and it worked.

Kinda creepy, but also, it worked.
bp787 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #3808 of 3966 Old 06-07-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I figured out my button naming issue. It was super easy on the desktop app. Not sure why the iPad app is not the same. Oh well.
post #3809 of 3966 Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I figured out my button naming issue. It was super easy on the desktop app. Not sure why the iPad app is not the same. Oh well.
As has been said about a ZILLION TIMES, it is MUCH easier to do the initial set up and editing on a computer than from ANYTHING else! :-)

For the first time in a while my Elite was "lagging" a bit sending commands. Simply pulling the power cord from the hub and allowing it to reboot cured my issue. I was tinkering with my router and aimesh setup earlier, but I would not think that would have contributed to a slowdown.

On another note, I purposely have not charged my remote since Sunday. Remote has been used for an hour each day to watch directv and FF through channels, adjust volume, dim lights, etc. Remote still has about 40% battery left. This is from a remote that has been used since two MONTHS before the Elite was released to the general public, so people that are having battery issues may have a bum battery from a batch or something..

HA! And then I realized I also left my bedroom 950 off the charger since Sunday as well. The 950 (and hub) are used in the bedroom setup which has only been used about three times since Sunday, and it's battery is nearly drained, so I either have a super self charging battery in my Elite which is nearly 5 years old or the battery that came with my 950 is a bit lame, or maybe a combination of both. But, as I believe on putting the remote back in the cradle after each use, it really is a no issue for me. This was just a quick test to see what some people were complaining about..

Last edited by ipca204; 06-08-2019 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added info on my 950
post #3810 of 3966 Old 06-08-2019, 07:09 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
The input names are internal to activity setup and are hard coded to the device's input names. In my use, I've actually found it to be better to be hard coded because that ensures they always track to the input names on each device. To me, changing tthose names would just create confusion later on because your changed names no longer indicate what physical I put is being used. There are always exceptions I guess, but I strongly prefer those names remain hard coded.

If you need a command on the touchscreen to change to a particular input, that touch button can be named anything you want (only the input names during activity setup are fixed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page