1205Likes

post #3811 of 4236 Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrim74 View Post
I've owned the Harmony 950 for about a month now, could someone please tell me where/how to use the HELP feature on this remote. All the old Harmony remotes I've owned had the hard button but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the 950. Sure would keep me from answering phone calls all day from my kids trying to figure out what they did wrong by not pointing the remote towards the front of the room. Thanks in advance.

Well, finally picked up the Harmony Hub. The hub itself is in my media cabinet and had to run the IR Blaster over to the center channel speaker which is directly under the Samsung 75" TV. I mounted the IR Blaster to the back of the center channel because for what ever reason the TV was the only thing the Hub itself would not power on. Everything including the electric screen as well as the projector powered on with just the Hub but for whatever reason not the television. All-in-all, everything works flawlessly now and I no longer get the dreaded phone calls as to why something isn't working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 724
It's not clear from the options presented that there's a way to have the Harmony not mess with a device's power settings; see pic.

I don't want to waste lamp strikes on my projector trying to figure this out.

Is there any I can't just leave the projector device out of an activity?

I'm fine with switching to it to power on/off and make any adjustments necessary, plus I can add any of its remote buttons that I use a lot (like lens memories) to the activity, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2579610  

Noah
post #3813 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
It's not clear from the options presented that there's a way to have the Harmony not mess with a device's power settings; see pic.

I'm fine with switching to it to power on/off and make any adjustments necessary, plus I can add any of its remote buttons that I use a lot (like lens memories) to the activity, right?
I have a projector and a TV in my living room. I have an activity I call "Use Projector" which is the only activity that includes the projector device. I use the power setting that you show selected in your attachment. I choose this activity first. When it's done I choose the correct activity for the source I want to use.

My other activities are set up as custom activities, which don't require a display device, so these activities don't try to turn a display on/off as long as you don't add a display when you set up the activity.
noah katz, spyboy and tanman like this.

Last edited by David Ortiz; 06-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 02:24 PM

Got it, thanks

Noah
post #3815 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:

If you don’t use the projector in a specific activity just don’t include it in that activity. I’m honestly not sure what problem you are trying to solve...
ipca204 likes this.

Mark

Last edited by mjwagner; 06-13-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #3816 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM

@thrillcat

What email address?

I've tried multiple support avenues and the best I can get is a tiny box to type into, or a phone #.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Well, I contacted Logitech via email. They responded, asked what specific activity I was having the problem with, I told them, and when I got home from work I synced, and it worked.

Kinda creepy, but also, it worked.

Noah
post #3817 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
If you don’t use the projector in a specific activity just don’t include it in that activity. I’m honestly not sure what problem you are trying to do,ve..,

I don't want the projector turning on or off unless I personally tell it to.

Maybe once I understand things better I'll do it the Harmonious way, but I'm still struggling to set things up.

I successfully paired my Fire TV and Lutron lights in the beginning, but after pairing the hub and 950 have not been able to do so after many attempts.

The TV as updated its s/w at least once since then so that may have something to do with it.

Noah
post #3818 of 4236 Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
@thrillcat

What email address?

I've tried multiple support avenues and the best I can get is a tiny box to type into, or a phone #.

Actually I think I did start it with one of the forms on the website. The original email I can find is from Logitech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #3819 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Maybe once I understand things better I'll do it the Harmonious way, but I'm still struggling to set things up.

I successfully paired my Fire TV and Lutron lights in the beginning, but after pairing the hub and 950 have not been able to do so after many attempts.

The TV as updated its s/w at least once since then so that may have something to do with it.
The TV updating it's software will not change anything (unless of course a software update made it change it's IR codes, which of course I have NEVER EVER heard of happening)
I think some of us here (myself included) are confused about what you are trying to do.
post #3820 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrim74 View Post
Well, finally picked up the Harmony Hub. The hub itself is in my media cabinet and had to run the IR Blaster over to the center channel speaker which is directly under the Samsung 75" TV. I mounted the IR Blaster to the back of the center channel because for what ever reason the TV was the only thing the Hub itself would not power on. Everything including the electric screen as well as the projector powered on with just the Hub but for whatever reason not the television. All-in-all, everything works flawlessly now and I no longer get the dreaded phone calls as to why something isn't working.
you know, another option is to have the 950 use it's own IR to turn on the tv and that would eliminate the blaster run. You would need "line of sight" from the remote to the tv, though..
post #3821 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

The options do just what they say:
"I want to turn this device off when not in use"
If you have an activity that uses this device it will be turned on when the activity is started. If you switch to another activity that includes this device then the device will remain on (no additional power on command sent). If you switch to another activity that does not include this device then a power off command will be sent to it. When the Off button is pressed a power off command will be sent to the device (if it was on in the last activity in use).

"I want to leave this device powered on all the time"
Power an and power off commands are not sent to the device by any activity. This option is typically used for cable boxes that do not have discrete power commands and you leave them in the power on state all the time.

"I want to keep this device on when switching Activities and only turn it off when I press the Off button"
This is very similar to the first option. A power on command will be sent to the device the very first time that an activity that uses this device is selected. After that you can switch to any activity (that use or do not use the device) without any power commands being sent to the device. A power off command will only be sent when the Off button is pressed. This is what some people refer to as "piggy back activities".

You can get support by following the the prompts on this page that will either give you online guidance, initiate an email, or provide phone numbers.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-ca/contact-us
noah katz likes this.
post #3822 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why do you want to have to manually turn the projector on and off? The Elite keeps track of what is on and what is off and only turns devices on/off when needed. Here is an example. I use one of my Elites's in my home theater. In my theater I use an AVR, a projector, a BR player, and several streaming devices (their is more involved, like lighting and Sonos equipment but I'm simplifying). Assuming that everything is off, If I press one of my activities, for example Watch Shield, the Elite turns on my projector and sets it to the correct input, turns on my AVR and set it to the right input, and turns on the Shield. Then if I want to watch a BR movie I click on the Watch Movie activity - my projector is already on and on the correct input so no commands are sent to the projector, my AVR is already on so all that is sent is a command to switch to the correct input, my Shield is put to sleep and my BR player is turned on. When I'm done I press the Power Off button in the upper left of the remote and it turns off whatever is currently on since it keeps track.

So now describe exactly what equipment you have and how you want it all to work and we can see if we can help you.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3823 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
The TV updating it's software will not change anything (unless of course a software update made it change it's IR codes, which of course I have NEVER EVER heard of happening)
I think some of us here (myself included) are confused about what you are trying to do.

Can be summed up as two things:

1) Get the Harmony to control my TV; currently it will not (leaving aside that it tells me the lights aren't paired, yet does control them)

2) Keep the Harmony from controlling power to my projector

Noah
post #3824 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Thanks, that's instructive.

Though when I read #2 , it sounds like it would turn something on no matter what; I have the unfortunate talent of always taking the wrong meaning when there's any ambiguity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
The options do just what they say:
"I want to turn this device off when not in use"
If you have an activity that uses this device it will be turned on when the activity is started. If you switch to another activity that includes this device then the device will remain on (no additional power on command sent). If you switch to another activity that does not include this device then a power off command will be sent to it. When the Off button is pressed a power off command will be sent to the device (if it was on in the last activity in use).

"I want to leave this device powered on all the time"
Power an and power off commands are not sent to the device by any activity. This option is typically used for cable boxes that do not have discrete power commands and you leave them in the power on state all the time.

"I want to keep this device on when switching Activities and only turn it off when I press the Off button"
This is very similar to the first option. A power on command will be sent to the device the very first time that an activity that uses this device is selected. After that you can switch to any activity (that use or do not use the device) without any power commands being sent to the device. A power off command will only be sent when the Off button is pressed. This is what some people refer to as "piggy back activities".

You can get support by following the the prompts on this page that will either give you online guidance, initiate an email, or provide phone numbers.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-ca/contact-us

Noah
post #3825 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

1) Get the Harmony to control my TV; currently it will not (leaving aside that it tells me the lights aren't paired, yet does control them)

If you set your TV up using IP control via the hub, it's possible a firmware upgrade for the TV reset a "remote start" function or the like.
noah katz likes this.
post #3826 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1 - For TV's usually (their are exceptions) the Harmony controls TV's using IR. So either the hub (which blasts out IR in all directions) or a blaster (which also blasts out IR) needs to be positioned correctly and have line of site to the TV. You can also send IR signals from the handheld remote itself but that is not ideal because then you have to keep the handheld pointed at the TV while it is sending out TV commands.

2 - This is simple. Either don't add your projector to the devices or, if you want to be able to at least send commands to your projector when you want, add the projector to the devices but just don't include the projector in any activities. Their are other ways to set it up too but again, in order to help we need more details about your equipment and how you want to use that equipment.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #3827 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Why do you want to have to manually turn the projector on and off?...
It's not that I want to, it's just that I don't mind, and it avoids the risk of unwanted power cycles if things get out of sync, plus some JVC owners have had issues powering down because of the necessary double command.

The below is also helpful, and I think I've got a sufficient grasp now, if I could get the TV to work.

Quote:
The Elite keeps track of what is on and what is off and only turns devices on/off when needed. Here is an example. I use one of my Elites's in my home theater. In my theater I use an AVR, a projector, a BR player, and several streaming devices (their is more involved, like lighting and Sonos equipment but I'm simplifying). Assuming that everything is off, If I press one of my activities, for example Watch Shield, the Elite turns on my projector and sets it to the correct input, turns on my AVR and set it to the right input, and turns on the Shield. Then if I want to watch a BR movie I click on the Watch Movie activity - my projector is already on and on the correct input so no commands are sent to the projector, my AVR is already on so all that is sent is a command to switch to the correct input, my Shield is put to sleep and my BR player is turned on. When I'm done I press the Power Off button in the upper left of the remote and it turns off whatever is currently on since it keeps track.

So now describe exactly what equipment you have and how you want it all to work and we can see if we can help you.

Noah
post #3828 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
...2 - This is simple. Either don't add your projector to the devices or, if you want to be able to at least send commands to your projector when you want, add the projector to the devices but just don't include the projector in any activities. Their are other ways to set it up too but again, in order to help we need more details about your equipment and how you want to use that equipment.

I thought that's what I said I would do, but it's been apparent for some time now (not just this thread, I mean years) that my communication skills are lacking.

Noah
post #3829 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not that I want to, it's just that I don't mind, and it avoids the risk of unwanted power cycles if things get out of sync, plus some JVC owners have had issues powering down because of the necessary double command.

The below is also helpful, and I think I've got a sufficient grasp now, if I could get the TV to work.
The double command is simply not a problem. My Optomo projector requires the same. It is very easy to use the MyHarmony application and adjust the shutdown commands to issue the correct two power off commands with a bit of delay between them. Once setup correctly I have never had an issue.
tanman and ipca204 like this.

Mark
post #3830 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 330
^^ Yes once it is setup correctly it is done deal. Getting to that point takes a few tries!
post #3831 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
If you set your TV up using IP control via the hub, it's possible a firmware upgrade for the TV reset a "remote start" function or the like.

I've added it several times using both the hub and from my PC, but I just tried again from the latter; no go.

[edit] Even though it worked fine before with the blaster on top of one of my components in the built-in shelves, I unfurled the wire and put the blaster on a chair right in front of the TV; still no dice.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 06-14-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #3832 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've added it several times using both the hub and from my PC, but I just tried again from the latter; no go.

[edit] Even though it worked fine before with the blaster on top of one of my components in the built-in shelves, I unfurled the wire and put the blaster on a chair right in front of the TV; still no dice.
Do you have the correct IR emitter(s) assigned to control the TV? On the handheld remote click on the gear icon in the upper left of the screen, then Settings, Devices, Hub Assignments then select the device. I recommend setting it to all for trouble shooting which will ensure that the IR signal is being sent out from both blasters, the hub itself, and the handheld.

Mark
post #3833 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Just got off the phone with Harmony; the problem was a screwup with my TV's model number.

Harmony thought it was a Roku TV (which previous models were); he added the correct device and now it works.

And I was mistaken in saying that it worked in the beginning; the s/w told me the TV and hub were paired, but I never controlled the TV (or anything) with the remote because it wasn't paired with the hub.
mjwagner and thrillcat like this.

Noah
post #3834 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Harmony; the problem was a screwup with my TV's model number.

Harmony thought it was a Roku TV (which previous models were); he added the correct device and now it works.

And I was mistaken in saying that it worked in the beginning; the s/w told me the TV and hub were paired, but I never controlled the TV (or anything) with the remote because it wasn't paired with the hub.
Glad you got it sorted. Your time was not wasted. You learned a ton about how the Harmony works and how to get it programmed which is all useful knowledge and will help you get the most out of it....
noah katz and NCGoldwinger like this.

Mark
post #3835 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 AM

After adding the new TV device and syncing, the tech told me I needed to log out of Myhyarmony and log back in to see the changes with new device.

During my previous shenanigans I remember my session timing out and things were different when I logged back in, so when is that necessary versus just syncing?

Noah
post #3836 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted. Your time was not wasted. You learned a ton about how the Harmony works and how to get it programmed which is all useful knowledge and will help you get the most out of it....

Very true, while things were stalled on the functional front, everyone's helpful posts were percolating, and I believe I have a pretty good handle on things now.

We'll see if that's really true when I continue with setup, though not sure I'll have time to try before heading out of town for the weekend.

Noah
post #3837 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 44
One of the downsides to using IR for remote is that you lose the ability to control with app on your phone/tablet.
post #3838 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post
One of the downsides to using IR for remote is that you lose the ability to control with app on your phone/tablet.

Since the phone or tablet is communicating with the hub wouldn’t the hub still send the commands needed be it IR, Bluetooth or whatever?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mjwagner likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3839 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post
Not with the hub based Harmony remotes.

Mark
post #3840 of 4236 Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After adding the new TV device and syncing, the tech told me I needed to log out of Myhyarmony and log back in to see the changes with new device.

During my previous shenanigans I remember my session timing out and things were different when I logged back in, so when is that necessary versus just syncing?
I haven’t logged out of the MyHarmony application in a long time. Have made many changes, never an issue.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page